• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Readers Vote For The Next "Poster Manga" for Shonen Jump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jigorath

Banned
Isn't Hunter x Hunter already a hugely popular series in Japan? When volumes actually get released they sell on par with One Piece.

Cool to see world trigger in the middle of the pack. I had no clue if it was popular or not. I hope the author's health improves and it can come off hiatus

So that's why I haven't seen it in a while. Both WT and HxH authors being sick sucks.

What is the next "this is ridiculous" manga since both Bleach and Toriko are done?

I love World Trigger. Its on hiatus now though. I love HunterXHunter. It is also on hiatus now. Currently loving Shokugeki. Black Clover plot is interesting, but the direction is a bit dull/cliche imo. Still read it tho.
I do follow/read Haikyu!! and My Hero Academia too. I would love Haikyu!! more if only I did not read Slam Dunk. I don't know why I keep comparing it. Maybe I miss Slam Dunk.
Boruto is just okey and nothing special. I guess I'll try reading the rest. I might like them. Currently reading Legendary Moonlight Sculptor light novel (I dont wanna wait for the manga).

So in truth they really have nothing.

I doubt Jump will ever have a big hit like One Piece or Naruto again.

The business model of having printed manga will become even more outdated in the future. Naver are way ahead of them in that department.

Tsunamo

HxH being second is hilarious.

Please give me more chapters Togashi :(
What's Haikyuu about? Is it good?

Haven't watched too much sports anime but I enjoyed Ping Pong.
Only in the middle of the second season but in a way I really can't describe it cleverly mixes shonen themes/tropes with a volleyball anime.

I camein not knowing what to expect and got hooked even knowing just the basics of the sport. It's really really enjoyable. The popularity of it has warrant.

Sandfox

So in truth they really have nothing.

I doubt Jump will ever have a big hit like One Piece or Naruto again.

The business model of having printed manga will become even more outdated in the future. Naver are way ahead of them in that department.

One Piece is a monster, but something as big as Naruto will probably happen at some point.

solomon

We all know the votes don't matter, they are gunna push food wars, My hero, or maybe even black clover since those are the newer popular manga people are gravitating towards.

One Piece is a monster, but something as big as Naruto will probably happen at some point.
Nope, the manga industry/the way we consume media has changed too much.
And even with the changes in the industry it was a total anomaly for Jump to have three of the biggest series of all time in their magazine (not that Bleach was ever as big as One Piece, nowhere near as big, it wasn't even as big as Naruto, but it's reach worldwide and for the period that it was doing very well in Japan prior to the series going downhill allows for it to be grouped into that Big 3 category), which is something they'll never replicate to that degree.

Wiseblade

My Hero Academia looks poised to become a Naruto sized hit before long. World Trigger was pushing Bleach numbers before the hiatus and IIRC Black Clover does alright. The problem for Shueisha is that it doesn't have another One Piece waiting in the wings. Passing up on Attack on Titan must really sting, having that and OP in the same magazine would give all their other titles WAY more exposure.

Why isn't Promised Neverland on there? Is it too different for most Jump readers?

Too new/no anime. This poll really reflect the current moment, where Haikyuu just had a great anime season and a good manga run.

Regardless, I don't think Neverland can ever quite reach poster status. I really like it, but I feel like the popularity will cap at a much lower point than either Haikyuu or MHA.

Should be HeroAca or Haikyuu.
personally HeroAca.

HxH can be a choice when togashi actually comes back consistently releasing chapters.

Nightbird

My vote would go to My Hero Academia ans The Promised Neverland (altough i admit that Neverland is too new to be really considered)

those are the two series that get me hyped every week alongside One Piece and Gintama

Qvoth

i should check out promised neverland some time
surprised to see saiki kusuo no psynan that high, it is pretty good though, i think once gintama's gone that's going to take its place as jump's main comedy
world trigger is very underrated imo, hope the author gets well and continues soon
hinomaru zumou is also underrated, kimetsu no yaiba as well

Yonafunu

Yay, Haikyuu! Good on you Japan.

That said, OP will probably outlive it. And even if it doesn't I can see MHA taking over this position instead of Haikyuu, being a battle series and all.

MANUELF

Banned

hampig

They made the correct choice. I'm honestly shocked. Haikyuu is so damn good, even as somebody who could not care less about sports manga or anime.

Permanently A

Only in the middle of the second season but in a way I really can't describe it cleverly mixes shonen themes/tropes with a volleyball anime.

I camein not knowing what to expect and got hooked even knowing just the basics of the sport. It's really really enjoyable. The popularity of it has warrant.

It's about volleyball.

It's also amazing. Great characters, action, humor and a surprising lack of usual manga/anime tropes. Anime has beautiful animation by Production I.G.

That first ep was so cheesy damn. I'm sort of curious what direction it'll go since his
antagonist became his teammat
e.

Permanently A

It's about volleyball.

It's also amazing. Great characters, action, humor and a surprising lack of usual manga/anime tropes. Anime has beautiful animation by Production I.G.

Tsukki is such an instigator goddamn. I'm enjoying it so far, thanks for the recommendations.

One Piece will be the "face" so long as it exists, but out of that list MHA is probably the closest. Those two and Gintama are probably the best three series running in Jump today.

I really do wonder how this new era of Jump is going to turn out. There's still some great stuff in there but with the number of big name series that ended in recent years (with Gintama soon to join their ranks) I can't help but feel a little wary.

Also, this thread reminded me I should really get around to reading Haikyuu.

Cwarrior

I absolutely love world trigger but unforuntly that excellent tactical squad combat manga is on hiatus, also my other fav Hunter x hunter :(.

Well at least I have one piece & ippo .

KraytarJ

It pleases me to see Saiki at #4, and I'm starting to think I should check out Haikyuu even though I typically don't like sports anime.

SoulUnison

Banned
Oh jeez, Boruto? Is that actually getting readers?

Boruto screwed itself right out of the gate on Page 1 by doing a massive timeskip/In Media Res.

Like, if that's where the series is going... I'm good, thanks, and the small details of it that are actually interesting like Boruto apparently being a swordsman, having weird tattoos and eventually getting someone's Byakugan are completely spoiled now.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Is Black Clover any good?

Black Clover is a cynical shounen. I'm fairly certain the author is aware it's mediocre so the second the manga starts to drag a war randomly breaks out with tons of flash batles or a big evil dude shows. There's no build up, it's just a conveyor belt of popular shounen tropes.

Glad Hinomaru Zumou made the list, in spite of it's low sales it's a very well paced and high quality manga so deserving of it's continued serialization.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom