• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tite Kubo's Bleach Manga Nears Ending

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bleach is getting two light novels

Dec 2016 - Matsubara Makoto will be writing about Rukia's Wedding

2017 - Narita Ryohgo will be writing about Hisagi, Tosen, 4 Great Noble Houses, Soul King
mobile_uncleDeath2.png

Ogodei

Really, a novel partially about Shuuhei Hisagi?

There are literally two dozen characters who could have a light novel written about them who need it more than Shuuhei frickin' Hisagi.

There are literally two dozen characters who could have a light novel written about them who need it more than Shuuhei frickin' Hisagi.

Well we can finally read about how he managed to control his bankai after being trolled about it in the second to last chapter of the series.

Since it involves Tosen (who is dead) it probably has to do with Hisagi getting revenge on the guy that killed Tosen's friend (who is still at large according to the 13 Blades fan book) since Central 46 won't do anything about it.

Eusis

All I care about is what was the deal with the Soul King.

For something that was supposedly the duct tape that was holding the universe together, it's pathetic that Kubo never went further into detail.
Sometimes when it comes to the background detail Bleach comes off as the stupid shonen equivalent to Dark Souls. You're just meant to kinda piece together/bullshit things in your head, as the actual work isn't clear enough in detailing this stuff.

And given that Bleach ISN'T something that seemed to be aiming for mystery and obfuscation like Dark Souls (everyone describes their damn powers even if it gets them killed, outside of Unohana anyway) that really isn't a good thing.

Eusis

I use to like Bleach at the beginning

is it worth going back in? Did it get better later?
If you're the kind keen on satisfying morbid fascination or actually kind of like the nonsense he throws, sure.

If you're honestly seeking actual quality than don't bother. I fall under both of the former as the series has been a guilty pleasure at the end, but frankly it was a pretty lame ending. Not the worst I've seen, but... uhh, just look at the Simpsons picture above for my biggest gripe!

jstripes

Banned
Sometimes when it comes to the background detail Bleach comes off as the stupid shonen equivalent to Dark Souls. You're just meant to kinda piece together/bullshit things in your head, as the actual work isn't clear enough in detailing this stuff.

And given that Bleach ISN'T something that seemed to be aiming for mystery and obfuscation like Dark Souls (everyone describes their damn powers even if it gets them killed, outside of Unohana anyway) that really isn't a good thing.

"If the Soul King gets killed the universe will collapse!"

*Soul King gets killed*

"Ok, nevermind about that. Carry on."

All I care about is what was the deal with the Soul King.

For something that was supposedly the duct tape that was holding the universe together, it's pathetic that Kubo never went further into detail.
It's funny how the Soul King actually got destroyed, and everything still held together anyway in the end.

Kubo just can't stop trolling his fanbase. Although he should have cosplayed as Aizen or Shuu-chan.
Interesting. What gave you the impression that he didn't?

Probably the one of the things I appreciate about the manga was how Kubo's art actually got better as time went on - at least for me. Looking at the art from the earlier chapters reminds me that it was pretty rough in the beginning.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Probably the one of the things I appreciate about the manga was how Kubo's art actually got better as time went on - at least for me. Looking at the art from the earlier chapters reminds me that it was pretty rough in the beginning.

White space is timeless and always looks good.

Just when I thought that this train ride was done for...

Can't say that anything, even the stuff about the Soul King and Noble Houses, interests me. Especially not after that shitshow of an ending.

Nairume

Banned
It did for a while, yeah, but it's really not that much of a surprise that a long running manga would improve its art over time. JoJo alone is a pretty big sign of that being a thing that happens, where you'd almost swear the series changed artists between its first chapter and now if you didn't see the comparison chart showing Araki's style improving and evolving over time.

The thing with Bleach is that, while that improvement did exist, it also eventually started getting worse as it drew closer to its end. That's the more surprising thing, at least when considering that the other mangas that have dipped in art quality had other circumstances (re: Togashi's health, Kishimoto's switch to digital drawing) that don't quite exist for Bleach.

White space is timeless and always looks good.

Lol it does indeed! But seriously...

Ehhh, Kubo certainly has created a style and I can't say I don't like it. Also can't say I don't respect the man's dedication for creating settings where he can continue not drawing backgrounds.

...his character art just seemed to improve over time despite the lack of backgrounds. Again, I really like the style of his characters as they all have something memorable about them. And hey, I'd honestly be okay with a sketchbook of just different character pinups, similar to the redrawn Gotei 13 covers he did for the All Colour but the Black artbook. Don't need backgrounds for those. 🙃

It did for a while, yeah, but it's really not that much of a surprise that a long running manga would improve its art over time. JoJo alone is a pretty big sign of that being a thing that happens, where you'd almost swear the series changed artists between its first chapter and now if you didn't see the comparison chart showing Araki's style improving and evolving over time.

The thing with Bleach is that, while that improvement did exist, it also eventually started getting worse as it drew closer to its end. That's the more surprising thing, at least when considering that the other mangas that have dipped in art quality had other circumstances (re: Togashi's health, Kishimoto's switch to digital drawing) that don't quite exist for Bleach.

Oddly, I'm of two minds of how I do feel about it. On one hand, yes, the stuff that got worse got really crappy as it was certainly circling the drain. I hated seeing 95% blank white panels and then maybe 5% of something happening while the story was meandering just to shove more characters into the mix. On the other hand? When he decided to actually draw, he was on point.

Though I do agree it's not uncommon for art to improve over the course of a series, there are some mangaka that stay fairly consistent such as Arakawa's art for FMA, for example. Granted, I hold FMA as my gold standard overall when it comes to manga.

Nairume

Banned
Though I do agree it's not uncommon for art to improve over the course of a series, there are some mangaka that stay fairly consistent such as Arakawa's art for FMA, for example.
Even Arakawa actually improved over time. Granted, she definitely started out really good, but, looking at the first and last chapters, there actually is a pretty noticable jump in quality of how she drew people. That said, there's a bit of amusing equivalent exchange going on where the first chapter shows a lot of little details that are largely gone by the last chapter, which, now that I think about it, seems fairly common for stuff to start out more detailed but a little sloppier and eventually get cleaner and more refined but less detailed as time goes on.

And I do agree that Kubo's art is actually great when he tries. While I don't think I could really put up with him helming a series on his own anymore, I'd love to see him do collaborate with a writer and handle all the art.

And I do agree that Kubo's art is actually great when he tries. While I don't think I could really put up with him helming a series on his own anymore, I'd love to see him do collaborate with a writer and handle all the art.

will he have a bunch of assistants doing all the backgrounds?

Even Arakawa actually improved over time. Granted, she definitely started out really good, but, looking at the first and last chapters, there actually is a pretty noticable jump in quality of how she drew people. That said, there's a bit of amusing equivalent exchange going on where the first chapter shows a lot of little details that are largely gone by the last chapter, which, now that I think about it, seems fairly common for stuff to start out more detailed but a little sloppier and eventually get cleaner and more refined but less detailed as time goes on.

Yeah, I agree with all this and yes, I'd love to see a collaboration like that as it could be something interesting. I also would really just love another Bleach art book if I'm being super honest.

vareon

Is Bleach worth reading? I can get two box sets (1-21 and 22-48) for a very low price.

Bleach had terrible pacing that made volumes blew up more than it should have been. If you do want so, I'd rather go digital or using a subscription service or something.

tauroxd

Is Bleach worth reading? I can get two box sets (1-21 and 22-48) for a very low price.

I loved it. Sure, it was a mess in its final stretch and the end was rushed and don't really tie up eveything, but the art in the whole manga is just so awesome and it is good for a very long time. If it is a really low price, go for it!

Nairume

Banned
Yes and no.

Taken as a whole, it's a bad series overall that is bad much longer than it is good. If you are willing to tap out before it ends, the beginning through the Soul Society arc (the first actual major arc) is really solid and is why Bleach built up so much good will that it was able to stick around for so long despite floundering for a decade. That bit is worth reading both on its own right and because you can very rightfully say that ranks up there in best/iconic manga arcs.

Of course, once you read that bit, you will very likely want to continue on, because Soul Society does not have a 100% conclusive ending and basically jumps right into the next arc with very little pause. But that's also the point where the series nosedives and stops being worth reading.

So take that as you will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom