• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tite Kubo's Bleach Manga Nears Ending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rainy

Banned
bleach074-thumb-400x630-3647.jpg

Shonen Jump officially released the cover art of the final volume.

http://www.shonenjump.com/j/rensai/bleach.html

Bleach was generally a cold, loveless book. Any hopes at a satisfying pairing was dashed by the extreme amounts of time it took to resolve battles, giving zero room for character growth and peaceful moments that make relationships believable. Kubo never rose above 'boy I sure hope I was useful to Ichigo' with Orihime and Rukia spent too much time jobbing.

Wheeljack539

Gold Member
As opposed to Ichigo and Orihime who acted purely like platonic friends in the manga

Orihime was always honest about her feelings and really the only one who actually stated it. The problem was always Ichigo who didn't really seem to have a romantic interest.

It ended as I expected it in that there would be a timeskip and Ichigo would either be alone or with Orihime. If he ended up with Orihime then Kubo wouldn't have to write the actual romance.

Effect

As opposed to Ichigo and Orihime who acted purely like platonic friends in the manga

That was my issue. Ichigo and Rukia not getting together was fine. They really did act like brother and sister. I never bought that the Ichigo and Orihime thing. No matter how many times they tried to push that it still didn't work because it was always one sided. Them ending up as close friends yeah. Not as husband and wife. It would have been far better off if they had introduced new characters at the end as their significant others but also shown them to be in the know regarding their powers to show that other adventures did take place during the time skip.

Astral

That was my issue. Ichigo and Rukia not getting together was fine. They really did act like brother and sister. I never bought that the Ichigo and Orihime thing. No matter how many times they tried to push that it still didn't work because it was always one sided. Them ending up as close friends yeah. Not as husband and wife. It would have been far better off if they had introduced new characters at the end as their significant others but also shown them to be in the know regarding their powers to show that other adventures did take place during the time skip.

If Ichigo hadn't become such a nothing character, Ichigo and Orihime might have made sense.

Arabesque

Eh here it actually looks decent. In the chapter itself I thought it looked god-awful.

Probably because Kubo finally managed to make him look like a younger Isshin, instead of the final chapter where it looked like he had a receding hairline.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of Ichigo's scenes end up having been redrawn to look better.

Rukia is several times over Ichigo's age. That shit was always going to be weird with that in mind.

That being said, I believe Kubo said they were "more than friends, less than lovers" so that was never going to happen. They were companions.

Of course none of this negates the fact Rukia ending up with Renji is laughable in many ways and Orihime is and always has been shit.

Ichigo should have end up with Tatsuki. She was always more his speed anyway.

Eusis

Eh here it actually looks decent. In the chapter itself I thought it looked god-awful.
In the chapter it looked like his hairline was too high (not that that sort of thing is out of the realm of possibility at that age) and was just kind of off. The cover seemed to be that design refined properly albeit settling on "young Isshin with orange hair."

Ray Down

Banned
Rukia is several times over Ichigo's age. That shit was always going to be weird with that in mind.

That being said, I believe Kubo said they were "more than friends, less than lovers" so that was never going to happen. They were companions.

Of course none of this negates the fact Rukia ending up with Renji is laughable in many ways and Orihime is and always has been shit.

Ichigo should have end up with Tatsuki. She was always more his speed anyway

yesjacknicholson.gif

Eusis

Notice how Orihme isn't in that cover? I still hold on to the theory that kid is secretly Ichigo's.
He's got Orihime's eyes and hair is a mix of Ichigo's and Orihime's.

Ichigo was probably asexual and just went "sure why not" when Orihime's offered to have children with him.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique

Ichigo was probably asexual and just went "sure why not" when Orihime's offered to have children with him.

Sorry, not that kid. I super think that is a child of Orihime and Ichigo and i like to think he takes way more personality wisr from Orihime. I am talking about "Renji's" off spring.

Linkark07

Banned
Ichigo should have end up with Tatsuki. She was always more his speed anyway.

Preach it. Tatsuki should have been the only girl for Ichigo.

Main problem was the pairings looked so out of place. I don't remember Renji and Rukia showing romantic interest in each other and, while Inoue confessed she was in love with Ichigo, the dude never seemed to have a crush on Inoue.

FStubbs

Orihime probably decided to just seduce him. She has what it takes physically but didn't have the mindset.

There were times when Ichigo noticed the opposite sex here and there.

Preach it. Tatsuki should have been the only girl for Ichigo.

Main problem was the pairings looked so out of place. I don't remember Renji and Rukia showing romantic interest in each other and, while Inoue confessed she was in love with Ichigo, the dude never seemed to have a crush on Inoue.

But I already saw Ichigo x Tatsuki in Ushio and Tora. Ichigo x Orihime just shuffles the deck a little.

The reaction to this just further cements my opinion that "flash-forward to when everyone is married and has kids" is the worst ending you can do for a story and it should be avoided at all cost.

Wheeljack539

Gold Member
The reaction to this just further cements my opinion that "flash-forward to when everyone is married and has kids" is the worst ending you can do for a story and it should be avoided at all cost.

It's the easiest thing to do as most mangaka can't write actual romance or don't for a shounen series. This allows this to bypass all that.

cordy

Banned
Man...I don't know. I'm not one for pairings much, I didn't even care about Bleach's pairings but Ichigo and Rukia not being together just feels weird to me. Feels a bit "off" and that's no offense to Orihime or Renji but shit man, it's weeeeeeeiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrddddddd. Like, if there was a fast-forward to the future where Ichigo and Rukia had kids and they argued like in the last chapter? I'd believe it more than what actually happened.

Nairume

Banned
You could probably make an argument that it was okay for some of them to do it (namely Dragon Ball and Naruto) because the authors wanted room to pick things back up and because they had built up enough good will to where they'd be given the opportunity to capitalize on that opening.

Kubo only did one of those things.

SoulUnison

Banned

The ending was so bad, with a complete 180o on so many character's personalities and motivations, and left so many gaping unresolved plot holes and threads that I'm firmly convinced that Kubo wrote it so that, should a continuation/sequel series ever be permitted, he can reveal that Yhwach won and the last handful of chapters was just him trapping everyone in an illusion and giving the main characters a Deus Ex, saccharine "happily ever after." He's a hack enough of a writer that I'm legitimately worried we're heading this way.

I'm curious to see if they do another databook or possibly an art book once volume 74 drops.

Hell, even 13 blades. had a short story to fill in some details.

xaosslug

The ending was so bad, with a complete 180o on so many character's personalities and motivations, and left so many gaping unresolved plot holes and threads that I'm firmly convinced that Kubo wrote it so that, should a continuation/sequel series ever be permitted, he can reveal that Yhwach won and the last handful of chapters was just him trapping everyone in an illusion and giving the main characters a Deus Ex, saccharine "happily ever after." He's a hack enough of a writer that I'm legitimately worried we're heading this way.

they're all trapped in Aizen's bankai - which has gotten super strong from being bottled up for so long - and s'all a dream... Basically, Madara's plan from Naruto done to fruition. xD

Mayuri & Urahara are the only ones that haven't been affected, and have to save the day.

I'm firmly convinced that Kubo wrote it so that, should a continuation/sequel series ever be permitted, he can reveal that Yhwach won and the last handful of chapters was just him trapping everyone in an illusion and giving the main characters a Deus Ex, saccharine "happily ever after." He's a hack enough of a writer that I'm legitimately worried we're heading this way.

Man, if he did that, I'd actually be happy.

It's the "How I Met Your Mother" ending of manga endings. Like it could have worked, had they done it, say, right after the Heuco Mundo arc, but no. Let's just make up all sorts of shit on the fly but stick to the originally planned ending.

FStubbs

You could probably make an argument that it was okay for some of them to do it (namely Dragon Ball and Naruto) because the authors wanted room to pick things back up and because they had built up enough good will to where they'd be given the opportunity to capitalize on that opening.

Kubo only did one of those things.

Assuming Naruto didn't die, a flash forward to him as Hokage was almost necessary to wrap up the story.

Fancolors

Every time this thread gets bumped I die a little inside because it makes me remember how much I cared about Bleach back when I was wee little bit and how bad it got later.

ubique

Every time this thread gets bumped I die a little inside because it makes me remember how much I cared about Bleach back when I was wee little bit and how bad it got later.

I liked the anime up until the robed people started showing up with their fancy swords. Basically, I liked Yu Yu Hakusho

orihime and ichigo did have some relationship advancements when ichigo comments on how orihime's dress accentuates her breasts

Funny enough, I've been binging the anime for certain episodes and it's been super-obvious in the visuals for the OPs/EDs (from Hueco Mundo arc onward) that they were trying to pull for Ichigo and Orihime. So it makes some sense if they're basing the final pairing off of the interactions from the anime.

Granted, I did always see Rukia and Ichigo as the best friends/sibling-like relationship though, but had they ended up together, I wouldn't have minded either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom