• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLOU 2 fell off the PS Store Top 20 charts for September

Whatever dude, clearly you dont like the game

But the fact is it made a shit ton of money for Sony

But think otherwise if it helps ya sleep at night
If it makes you sleep at night that this game is some type of success outside that first week go ahead (could be sold to retailers for all we know)

TLOU2 is an objectively terrible game. But for some reason people feel the need to defend its honor like it's some sort of cultural artifact to be preserved. It did nothing to push storytelling forward, it did nothing to push gameplay forward. The only thing it did was serve as a massive personal wankfest for Druckman to insert his degenerate fetishes into a game that other people would watch.

There's only one person this game is made for. That's Neil Druckman himself. In the end, this is what it comes down to. This is a game by Neil Druckman, for Neil Druckman. Its not for anyone else. I asked in the beginning: What is 'The Last of Us 2'? The answer is it is a 100 million dollar vanity project. That's all this game is. It is to revel in the greatness of Neil Druckman. His characters are better, his story is better, everything is better. It is designed for him. He is the one to play this game at the end. Its the one he wanted to play.

Its why the studio left, its why he had to outsource. This was not a collaborative effort. This was a vanity project built on somebody else's dime. There is no audience for this game besides one person. Its not for you, its not for me, its not for fans, its not for people who play games, its not for progressives. It is only for Neil Druckman and you will pay for that privilege.

In short, the game hates you. No matter who you are. It is a 100 million dollar title telling you to go fuck yourself. It is singularly, the worst written, most pathetic excuse for a piece of art I've ever seen for this budget. Its the definition of a vanity project.

Nothing makes me laugh harder than people trying to defend it.

Last edited:

LockeKappa

Neo Member
TLOU2 is a SUBJECTIVELY terrible game. But for some reason people feel the need to defend its honor like it's some sort of cultural artifact to be preserved. It did nothing to push storytelling forward, it did nothing to push gameplay forward. The only thing it did was serve as a massive personal wankfest for Druckman to insert his degenerate fetishes into a game that other people would watch.

There's only one person this game is made for. That's Neil Druckman himself. In the end, this is what it comes down to. This is a game by Neil Druckman, for Neil Druckman. Its not for anyone else. I asked in the beginning: What is 'The Last of Us 2'? The answer is it is a 100 million dollar vanity project. That's all this game is. It is to revel in the greatness of Neil Druckman. His characters are better, his story is better, everything is better. It is designed for him. He is the one to play this game at the end. Its the one he wanted to play.

Its why the studio left, its why he had to outsource. This was not a collaborative effort. This was a vanity project built on somebody else's dime. There is no audience for this game besides one person. Its not for you, its not for me, its not for fans, its not for people who play games, its not for progressives. It is only for Neil Druckman and you will pay for that privilege.

In short, the game hates you. No matter who you are. It is a 100 million dollar title telling you to go fuck yourself. It is singularly, the worst written, most pathetic excuse for a piece of art I've ever seen for this budget. Its the definition of a vanity project.

Fixed the bolded word. The rest is correct as long as you fix that first word. :)

danstar

Neo Member
TLOU2 is an objectively terrible game. But for some reason people feel the need to defend its honor like it's some sort of cultural artifact to be preserved. It did nothing to push storytelling forward, it did nothing to push gameplay forward. The only thing it did was serve as a massive personal wankfest for Druckman to insert his degenerate fetishes into a game that other people would watch.

That's it, let it all out. You're safe now. Neil Druckmann can't hurt you anymore.

How many people could control themselves and are just waiting for the inevitable PS5 version?

Yeah this is me for pretty much anything that has released this year except for FF7R. They pulled the exact same thing with TLOU1 so there’s no chance this will be the last version of the game.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
Enjoyed the combat & graphics, hated the pacing. If they do a great job with the PS5 enhancement, I could see it spiking in sales in Nov/Dec as a showcase game.
All naught dog games except maybe uncharted 2 have pacing problems. Thats the only real thing they need to tighten up or change.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
It's not the fact that they kill him that has triggered the backlash, but the way they wrote his death, and the purpose it was supposed to serve in narrative terms. I'm not saying that Joel should've had an "heroic" death by any means -that would've been too cliche-, but what they basically did was to kill one of the greatest and most beloved male characters ever conceived in gaming with no sense of buildup, in an completely unexpected manner, through a scene that had him acting completely off-character, and at the hands of the out-of-nowhere daughter of a fucking NPC character dragged from the first game. And for what exactly was that in the end? To tell you that "revenge is bad", "revenge is not the path", "cycle of revenge", "dig two graves", and all of that Gandhi shit Druckmann was already spoiling all over the marketing interviews that led to the launch of the game.
the build up was rhe first game....I mean thats why this one is called part 2. Joel clapped a bunch of fireflies and doctors and people are surprised he ate it? How was Joel acting out of character? We've read things in the game where Joel and others were recruiting people to Jackson if they ran into any, why do you think Jackson is so populated? Joel was doing the job Tommy told him to do, and to what end also were they supposed to escape the zombie horde? They were being chased, there was a storm, they went through options quickly and realised that was only the potential one where they all don't get eaten by clickers
the game is not just about revenge but about the cycle of violence technically that Joel started. Abby was created by Joel because he killed her dad, it was a tipping point where he killed because he was about to lose someone he loved, and Abby kills because the person she loved most was taken from her, it just proves that the world of the last of us is filled with shitty people and though people "love" joel as a character the dude was an asshole and a psychopath murderer, we even hear hints from this from Tommy in the first game. Ellie at the end realises that revenge has cost her everything including her ability to play the guitar that joel gave and taught he. Hopefully in the next game she finds a purpose for her life.

It's been out for 3 months and yet we haven't gotten a sales update. This is not the norm for Sony exclusives. This game obviously crashed and burned after the first couple of weeks or so.

down 2 orth

That's it, let it all out. You're safe now. Neil Druckmann can't hurt you anymore.

Wow. Are you suggesting he was a victim of sexual abuse as an attempt to insult him? I mean, forget about what that guy wrote, what does your post say about you? Do you have any moral compass at all?

These culture wars sure are something...

Aion002

giphy.gif

Every TLU2 thread.

EDMIX

It's been out for 3 months and yet we haven't gotten a sales update. This is not the norm for Sony exclusives. This game obviously crashed and burned after the first couple of weeks or so.

? Not really.

Sony usually states how well a game did in the first few days or week or so and then you'd get an update about its digital sales and then maybe a year later you'd get another update etc.

They don't just continue to keep making updates through out the year or something... Examples.

and then
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/god-of-war-ps4-sales-exceed-10-million/1100-6467083/#:~:text=Sony has provided a new,Sony's owned franchises across platforms.

and then

and then
annnnnnd then

So historically speaking, Sony doesn't just continue to update throughout the year, they'll show you what it did the first week, then year, then years later etc. Using your logic, Ghost Of Tsushima must have failed if Sony didn't give you some update or something.....

So if you see how long it took for Uncharted 4 or The Last Of Us 1 to actually move 16 to 20 million units, its not some right out the gate type thing. All we know for sure is that it moved 4 million in 3 days physical, it moved 80% less then next month and in the first month digital moved 2.8 million. Which means its likely at 8 to 9 million.....BEFORE a multiplayer update and BEFORE a PS5 remaster. For a few weeks, thats a fuck ton of units to sell to really be making it seem as if it must have failed or something. Based on how theses titles sell, I just don't see it man. The data of their past titles and how the reveal such information isn't really pointing to some failure or something.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Best Buy shelved have been pretty bare since they reopened after covid here. They have a billion TLOU2 on shelf though. Every other game has 0-2 copies.

If it makes you sleep at night that this game is some type of success outside that first week go ahead (could be sold to retailers for all we know)
It was SOLD to consumers not retailers. Over 6 million people have played it so it isn't sitting on store shelves. The hate wagon this game has is so funny. Ya'll just can't stop talking about it. It will be one of the top selling games of the year and nothing ya'll can do about it.

It was SOLD to consumers not retailers. Over 6 million people have played it so it isn't sitting on store shelves. The hate wagon this game has is so funny. Ya'll just can't stop talking about it. It will be one of the top selling games of the year and nothing ya'll can do about it.
People are really insecure when it comes to TLOU2
Every time a thread or post is made that is not praising the game, the defense brigade appears from thin air
Over 6 million people playing, which means played not sold, doesn't eliminate the possibility that their are copies rotting on shelves as we speak
Those are gamestat numbers
Rumor has it the game is dominating the used game market
Accept that people don't like the game or its less than mediocre story

Last edited:
? Not really.

Sony usually states how well a game did in the first few days or week or so and then you'd get an update about its digital sales and then maybe a year later you'd get another update etc.

They don't just continue to keep making updates through out the year or something... Examples.

and then
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/god-of-war-ps4-sales-exceed-10-million/1100-6467083/#:~:text=Sony has provided a new,Sony's owned franchises across platforms.

and then

and then
annnnnnd then

So historically speaking, Sony doesn't just continue to update throughout the year, they'll show you what it did the first week, then year, then years later etc. Using your logic, Ghost Of Tsushima must have failed if Sony didn't give you some update or something.....

So if you see how long it took for Uncharted 4 or The Last Of Us 1 to actually move 16 to 20 million units, its not some right out the gate type thing. All we know for sure is that it moved 4 million in 3 days physical, it moved 80% less then next month and in the first month digital moved 2.4 million. Which means its likely at 8 to 9 million.....BEFORE a multiplayer update and BEFORE a PS5 remaster. For a few weeks, thats a fuck ton of units to sell to really be making it seem as if it must have failed or something. Based on how theses titles sell, I just don't see it man. The data of their past titles and how the reveal such information isn't really pointing to some failure or something.
^This. Sony has never been one to provide monthly or even bi-monthly sales updates on any of their titles. The people acting like this bombed b/c you haven't heard anything else are dumbasses who have no idea what they're talking about.

People are really insecure when it comes to TLOU2
Every time a thread or post is made that is not praising the game, the defense brigade appears from thin air
Over 6 million people playing, which means played not sold, doesn't eliminate the possibility that their are copies rotting on shelves as we speak
Accept that people don't like the game or its less than mediocre story
Every game out there has copies on shelves. It sold over 4 million in three days and was still selling well in July which again likely puts it well over 6 million sold already. For a single-player game that most people will play once that's very good in such a short amount of time. The game will continue to sell for years to come especially if it gets enhanced on PS5 or multiplayer gets added to it. Maybe you should accept that.

Last edited:
Every game out there has copies on shelves. It sold over 4 million in three days and was still selling well in July which again likely puts it well over 6 million sold already. For a single-player game that most people will place once that's very good in such a short amount of time. The game will continue to sell for years to come especially if it gets enhanced on PS5 or multiplayer gets added to it. Maybe you should accept that.
Again that 6 mil you keep using is from gamestat
6 million players players does not equal 6 million in sales
On game stat, it has 40 mil TLOU players but it sold 20 mil according to Sony
People are selling the game like hot cakes, especially in Asia where the game is dead
One PS4 could account for 4 players
If you want the game to do well and people to love it good for you but it's apparent the game fell off the map after that first week and bad word of mouth
Especially a game of its caliber and hype that Neil decided to destroy by design
He created a divisive game with a divisive story but neither he nor his fanboys can take the heat

Last edited:
Again that 6 mil you keep using is from gamestat
6 million players players does not equal 6 million in sales
On game stat, it has 40 mil TLOU players but it sold 20 mil according to Sony
People are selling the game like hot cakes, especially in Asia where the game is dead
One PS4 could account for 4 players
If you want the game to do well and people to love it good for you but it's apparent the game fell off the map after that first week and bad word of mouth
Especially a game of its caliber and hype that Neil decided to destroy by design
He created a divisive game with a divisive story but neither he nor his fanboys can take the heat
Fell off the map after the first week even though it was still near the top of the sales charts for the month of July. What a dumbass you are. You can come up with all the conspiracy theories you want it doesn't change the fact that TLOU2 was a massive sales success and you can't do anything about it.

Fell off the map after the first week even though it was still near the top of the sales charts for the month of July. What a dumbass you are. You can come up with all the conspiracy theories you want it doesn't change the fact that TLOU2 was a massive sales success and you can't do anything about it.
I never name called you once but like the fanboy you are I'm a dumbass now because I don't believe the game was a massive success after its first week
I've come to expect that from Neil and TLOU2 fanboys who just copy Neil's smear tactics
The game sold that well those first few days because of ND's lies and the hype from the first game
You can't return a digital copy
A lot of people who preordered were deceived
The bad word of mouth has spread and it's not slowing down anytime soon
Falling of the top 20 already with the magnitude of hype this game had is telling

Last edited:
I never name called you once but like the fanboy you are I'm a dumbass now because I don't believe the game was a massive success after its first week

The game sold that well those first few days because of ND's lies and the hype from the first game
You can't return a digital copy
A lot of people who preordered were deceived
The bad word of mouth has spread and its not slowing down anytime soon
Out of the top 20 already with the magnitude of hype this game had is telling
I called you that because you keep repeating the same false statement over and over. The game came out in the middle of June yet was still near the top of the charts for the whole month of July. So tell me again how it stopped right after those first few days in June that it was on sale. Better yet don't because you've already shown multiple times now that you lack common sense. Adding you to the ignore list.

I called you that because you keep repeating the same false statement over and over. The game came out in the middle of June yet was still near the top of the charts for the whole month of July. So tell me again how it stopped right after those first few days in June that it was on sale. Better yet don't because you've already shown multiple times now that you lack common sense. Adding you to the ignore list.
Of course I go to an ignore list because you can't hold a conversation or argument.

What a dumbass

Last edited:
? Not really.

May want to do a little bit more research there. For Sony's recent first party exclusives, they have updated sales more frequently. GOW, for example, was updated after a month on the market, selling 5M. Spider-Man's update took longer, about 4 months, but the number they gave was for the end of Nov, which was 9M.

I suppose we can give TLOU2 the same 4 months that Spider-Man got. Though, with how quick TLOU2 fell off of charts, I wouldn't be surprised if we see a GoT update before we ever get one for TLOU2.

Neil Young

Some of the responses remind me of Annie Wilkes from Misery. You dirty dirty bird, not my Ellie!!...Neil, you're going to re write the story, you're going to fix it! Yeah, you're going to have Ellie kill Abby, that's right..and, and Joel will live...Ohhhhh, I'm so excited, I'm going to play my Liberace albums!!

EDMIX

May want to do a little bit more research there. For Sony's recent first party exclusives, they have updated sales more frequently. GOW, for example, was updated after a month on the market, selling 5M. Spider-Man's update took longer, about 4 months, but the number they gave was for the end of Nov, which was 9M.

I suppose we can give TLOU2 the same 4 months that Spider-Man got. Though, with how quick TLOU2 fell off of charts, I wouldn't be surprised if we see a GoT update before we ever get one for TLOU2.

Not really. I even state they posted data after those first 3 days and then again after 1 month later showing the digital sales from PSN. So you might want to do a little bit more research yourself before posting...

They did the same for God Of War.

1 was about the physical sales and then again for digital.

https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2020/07/24/the-last-of-us-part-2-digital-sales-record/#:~:text=The company recently revealed Sucker,retail for the PlayStation 4.

So you got the first 3 days physical and first month on digital numbers by The Last Of Us 2 just like you got that data from God Of War....nothing shows they reveal that data THAT differently, you are actually only proving how normal it is for them to have such an amount of time go by before revealing more data.....

My god, the fact that you are even saying Spidermans update took longer PROVES the don't have this 100% always updating concept...... By that logic, Spiderman must have failed or something... it makes no sense to try to nit pick and reach sooooo far to pretend its some wild conspiracy when even your own examples don't have this rapid response. So The Last Of Us 2 is off the charts JUST like MOST single player games are during such a time frame...

Uncharted 4, God Of War, Spider-man, Horizon etc all didn't just sell 15 million units in 1 month and stay on the charts for life or something.

"I wouldn't be surprised if we see a GoT update before we ever get one for TLOU2" What on earth are you talking about? We already got an update on its digital numbers...JUST LIKE WE GOT FOR God Of War AND The Last Of Us 2 1 month after release....

So its starting to sound like you legit need to look up this information and research yourself.

Last edited:

sol_bad

It's not the fact that they kill him that has triggered the backlash, but the way they wrote his death, and the purpose it was supposed to serve in narrative terms. I'm not saying that Joel should've had an "heroic" death by any means -that would've been too cliche-, but what they basically did was to kill one of the greatest and most beloved male characters ever conceived in gaming with no sense of buildup, in an completely unexpected manner, through a scene that had him acting completely off-character, and at the hands of the out-of-nowhere daughter of a fucking NPC character dragged from the first game. And for what exactly was that in the end? To tell you that "revenge is bad", "revenge is not the path", "cycle of revenge", "dig two graves", and all of that Gandhi shit Druckmann was already spoiling all over the marketing interviews that led to the launch of the game.

So the game shouldn't have been about revenge?

LockeKappa

Neo Member
Rainbow six is the best PvP shooter on the market. Word of mouth strikes again. Tlou2 can go and die in a fire. Glad this agenda driven shit died. Fire Druckmann while you're at it. Idiot knows nothing about game design.

Probably good that he's not the game designer then.

Vaelka

The thing I don't understand is that if it is as dead as some people say why do they insist on kicking a corpse? I have never seen people so obsessed with hating a game. Is there another game with an entire reddit page dedicated to hating it? If I don't like something I just move on.

I think that it's a bit of a circular thing, there's a lot of people who mock people who didn't like the game and strawman why they didn't which makes them defensive and then the people mocking people just escalates it and it keeps going.
I also think that when something receives a ton of credit and praise and people feel like it doesn't deserve it they tend to hate on it more.

Tbh I do that too with Sony exclusives in particular, altho I am not really serious about it.
But part of me does get annoyed when people act like something that I think is just '' ok '' is the second coming of christ.
It wouldn't annoy me if it was just some individual doing it, but when it's basically a whole industry and people spamming about it then it gets on your nerves a lot.

Edit: Also, even tho I didn't think that it deserve the praise the first game was a huge success and a lot of people were genuinely invested in it and the sequel.
Star Wars has a reddit page dedicated to hating on the new Star Wars too it's not that uncommon honestly when something doesn't land well with a significant portion of fans.

Last edited:
Why dont game producers just hire professional screenwriters?... theres room in the budget for some creative talent moneyhatting. Especially when it comes to games that try to be movies. Its obvious to everyone by now that "game writers" are b-tier.
They did - Hailey Gross worked on Westworld. She also had a more prominent role as the show went out in Season 2 etc.

If you watched Westworld past Season 1 you also know the writing surrounding the borked narrative was shitty. It doesn't surprise me TLoU2 has similar stilted dialogue and story beats.

It is funny the go to defense (that I saw on the first page no less) is 'the game is mature so you wouldn't understand it' - very juvenile understanding of dialogue and subtlety in video games.

yurinka

Also realize those are players not sales
We don't know how much TLOU2 is dominating the used game market so we don't know how much of that number is used games, multiple accounts on the same PS4 playing the game, etc.
Gamestats does not represent sales
Also remember TLOU was a new IP while Part 2 rode the hype of the first game hence the record first week (could be sold to retailers for all we know)
If everyone knew exactly how TLOU2 would go down, Part 2 would have never had those initial sales
We will have to see just how much bad word of mouth will affect Part 2's sales in the long run
I know, these are users and not sales. Some of them may be 2nd hand users and other ones a 2nd or 3rd user in a same console. But this can be said for both games. In fact TLOU1 had a multiplayer mode, so it's pretty likely that more PSN users played it from a single purchase/console.

But the important thing we can see from the comparision is that until now TLOU2 has a way better sales start compared to what TLOU1 had until this point, and that looking to what TLOU1 sold after that, we can also expect to see TLOU2 selling a lot of units more.

The thing is, with what we have until now, TLOU2 is selling better than TLOU1. So who knows in the future, but following the current trends means TLOU2 will end outselling TLOU1 (which already had awesome sales) instead of being a drama in sales as some try to imply in the thread.

Keep in mind hat Part I shipped with a MP. A lot of people started playing this
mode once they finished the story.

Part II on the other hand does not have such a mode. Which is why people moved on.
Also do not forget that there were people who bought the first game for the MP.
Yes, multiplayer mode should increase its retention. Gamstat has a metric to somehow track it:

The median retention period (between the first and the last trophy), players without trophies are excluded. TLOU is 48 days and TLOU2 12 days.

Having MP also means it's more likely that a 2nd PSN user can log in the same console to play it, so TLOU graph should be a bit inflated when trying to compare it to sals.

Last edited:
I know, these are users and not sales. Some of them may be 2nd hand users and other ones a 2nd or 3rd user in a same console. But this can be said for both games. In fact TLOU1 had a multiplayer mode, so it's pretty likely that more PSN users played it from a single purchase/console.

But the important thing we can see from the comparision is that until now TLOU2 has a way better sales start compared to what TLOU1 had until this point, and that looking to what TLOU1 sold after that, we can also expect to see TLOU2 selling a lot of units more.
Hold on there
You missed my point about the fact that TLOU was a new IP while Part 2 rode the hype of the first game
You honestly believe people who didn't like the story or the structure of the game would have bought this game if they had known how it would have gone down?
Yes it has a better sales start mainly due to that first week that was the direct result of false advertisement and hype from the first game

Last edited:

yurinka

Hold on there
You missed my point about the fact that TLOU was a new IP while Part 2 rode the hype of the first game
You honestly believe people who didn't like the story or the structure of the game would have bought this game if they had known how it would have gone down?
Yes it has a better sales start mainly due to that first week that was the direct result of false advertisement and hype from the first game
Basically all games have more or less the same sales curve, doesn't matter if they are sequels or new IPs.

They start with their biggest peak in the first days, then continue with a decreasing curve but having good sales during 2 or sometimes 3 months. Then the sales keep being super low until the game gets discounted, price cutted, ported, re-released as GOTY Edition or similar, bundled with the console, included in PS Now etc. These peaks are traditionally smaller with the exception of being included in PS Plus or given away for free to everybody.

Regarding the hype it's true, but the first one also rode the hype of being the new game from the Uncharted guys.

Basically all games have more or less the same sales curve, doesn't matter if they are sequels or new IPs.

They start with their biggest peak in the first days, then continue with a decreasing curve but having good sales during 2 or sometimes 3 months. Then the sales keep being super low until the game gets discounted, price cutted, ported, re-released as GOTY Edition or similar, bundled with the console, included in PS Now etc. These peaks are traditionally smaller with the exception of being included in PS Plus or given away for free to everybody.

Regarding the hype it's true, but the first one also rode the hype of being the new game from the Uncharted guys.
Sure but it wasn't 4 mil in one week hype
A shit load of people bought that game not knowing what they were walking into because they were fed lies and were completely hyped for the game.
Who wouldn't be if you thought you would be playing with characters for an entire game you waited 7 years for instead of having some weirdo artist's nihilistic nightmare forced down your throat and being told to just take it as a fan.
If they knew for certain what the game was about with the whole Abby and Joel thing, and knowing that absolute shit ending, no way it does 4 mil in one week.

Last edited:

yurinka

Sure but it wasn't 4 mil in one week hype
A shit load of people bought that game not knowing what they were walking into because they were fed lies and were completely hyped for the game.
Who wouldn't be if you thought you would be playing with characters for an entire game you waited 7 years for instead of having some weirdo artist's nihilistic nightmare forced down your throat and being told to just take it as a fan.
If they knew for certain what the game was about with the whole Abby and Joel thing, and knowing that absolute shit ending, no way it does 4 mil in one week.
Well, I can't predict how people may behave in an alternate universe where devs would have taken other decisions. I was only talking about the available data we have from the current one.

And yes, aligning releases TLOU2 had way bigger 1st week compared to TLOU, outside that that they added new users at a pretty similar pace until now. The big difference between both are the 1st week sales. I assume that covid lockdown also helped to push console sales and -specially digital- game sales, or at least it's what we can see from the overall "new PSN users" overall graph, not related only to TLOU games. During the lockdown in many countries there was an unusual peak/mountain there: https://gamstat.com/playstation/

TLOU2 was release just after that mountain of new PSN users, so maybe it was the first huge AAA release after many people got a PS4, so many people got it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom