• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLOU 2 fell off the PS Store Top 20 charts for September

Well, I can't predict how people may behave in an alternate universe where devs would have taken other decisions. I was only talking about the available data we have from the current one.
ND will be lucky if this game sells as well as TLOU long term

yurinka

From what we can see from PSN users, during the 1st week sold way more than TLOU. And outside 1st week until now, seems to sell at a very similar pace than TLOU did in the same period. So from what we have until now, it's fair to think it will end selling more than TLOU.

But this time PS5 will be BC, so I assume players who already own TLOU2 in PS4 won't be forced to buy a separate remastered game to play it in the same console.

On the other side, they still didn't add the multiplayer. So maybe they add it as a free update or DLC, which whould cause an additional sales spike TLOU didn't have. Or maybe they decide to release it as a separate game. Who knows.

Last edited:
From what we can see from PSN users, during the 1st week sold way more than TLOU. And outside 1st week until now, seems to sell at a very similar pace than TLOU did in the same period.

So from what we have until now, it's fair to think it will end selling more than TLOU.

But this time PS5 will be BC, so I assume players who already own TLOU2 in PS4 won't be forced to buy a separate remastered game to play it in the same console.
You keep bringing up the same thing over and over again as if the game will hold that rate
It has declined rapidly especially falling out of the top 20 already
It only outpaced TLOU because of deception and hype
The deception and hype has subsided and the game has been left with bad word of mouth
Replace the deception and hype with people knowing the truth and it doesn't do its first week numbers
Who honestly outside of TLOU2 fans who loved the story is buying the game knowing for certain what happens in the story and the second half of the game?
You can keep bringing the initial success ignoring that fact but it is what it is
It's like bringing up what happened with Star Wars by only addressing the initial success while ignoring the long term flop and fan backlash

Last edited:

Alan Wake

TLOU2 is an objectively terrible game. But for some reason people feel the need to defend its honor like it's some sort of cultural artifact to be preserved. It did nothing to push storytelling forward, it did nothing to push gameplay forward. The only thing it did was serve as a massive personal wankfest for Druckman to insert his degenerate fetishes into a game that other people would watch.

There's only one person this game is made for. That's Neil Druckman himself. In the end, this is what it comes down to. This is a game by Neil Druckman, for Neil Druckman. Its not for anyone else. I asked in the beginning: What is 'The Last of Us 2'? The answer is it is a 100 million dollar vanity project. That's all this game is. It is to revel in the greatness of Neil Druckman. His characters are better, his story is better, everything is better. It is designed for him. He is the one to play this game at the end. Its the one he wanted to play.

Its why the studio left, its why he had to outsource. This was not a collaborative effort. This was a vanity project built on somebody else's dime. There is no audience for this game besides one person. Its not for you, its not for me, its not for fans, its not for people who play games, its not for progressives. It is only for Neil Druckman and you will pay for that privilege.

In short, the game hates you. No matter who you are. It is a 100 million dollar title telling you to go fuck yourself. It is singularly, the worst written, most pathetic excuse for a piece of art I've ever seen for this budget. Its the definition of a vanity project.

Nothing makes me laugh harder than people trying to defend it.

I wouldn't go that far, but as a fan of the first game I view TLOU2 as a virtual spit in the face. They say there's no one respecting the characters more than ND, but it's obvious BS. They made the choices they made because they could. They wanted the shock effect. They got it. And then some.

yurinka

You keep bringing up the same thing over and over again as if the game will hold that rate
It has declined rapidly especially falling out of the top 20 already
It only outpaced TLOU because of deception and hype
The deception and hype has subsided and the game has been left with bad word of mouth
Replace the deception and hype with people knowing the truth and it doesn't do its first week numbers
Who honestly outside of TLOU2 fans who loved the story is buying the game knowing for certain what happens in the story and the second half of the game?
You can keep bringing the initial success ignoring that fact but it is what it is
It's like bringing up what happened with Star Wars by only addressing the initial success while ignoring the long term flop and fan backlash
The facts say that during the first week TLOU2 sold way better than TLOU1, and that outside the first week both are selling at very similar same pace in the period we have until now. And that outside that period TLOU1 sold a ton units more. So it's likely that TLOU2 will sell a ton of units more too in the future.

The facts say that during the first week TLOU2 sold way better than TLOU1, and that outside the first week both are selling at very similar same pace in the period we have until now. And that outside that period TLOU1 sold a ton units more. So it's likely that TLOU2 will sell a ton of units more too in the future.
TLOU doesn't have the stench of bad word mouth following it like Part 2 does
Yes of course it sold way better it's a sequel people didn't know a character would die and a new character would be forced down their throat
The backlash is real
Part 2 will continue to decline

Last edited:

Dane

How ironic is that Ghost of Tsushima didn't even receive much hype and critical acclaim as TLOU 2 but ended up being a strong long leg seller because it didn't pander to throw the fanbase under the bus.

It's obvious that TLOU 2 must have surpassed the original sales, we are talking about a sequel of a huge hit, but in a matter of days to weeks the mouth to mouth negative reception took a toll on any long lasting legs it could have at the top 10 sellers.

Alan Wake

It would be kind of interesting to see how people would react to a Part III. I can safely say I wouldn't pre-order it...

The Game Awards asked what is people's game of the generation and TLOU 2 had the second most mentions right behind BotW. But yeah everyone hates it lmao. This place is so stuck in their little bubble.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
The Game Awards
7241447222_76621b3141_b.jpg

Whitecrow

Banned
The Game Awards asked what is people's game of the generation and TLOU 2 had the second most mentions right behind BotW. But yeah everyone hates it lmao. This place is so stuck in their little bubble.
If you didnt read it:

"TLOU2 fell off the PS Store top 20 charts for September"

That's no consequence of a forum bubble.

And this is far more reliable to know wht the public opinion is instead of a award ceremony that perfectly can accept paychecks.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah because your opinion is clearly more valid lol
This place is so stuck in their little bubble.
LMAO one place matters more than another and I ignored everything in this thread LMAO. The Game Awards counts all gamers as well and it matters lol.

I literally don't care about TLou2 or this thread I just found your post to be hypocritical and dismissive enough to reply in kind lol.

UR50iMH.png

Woggleman

This game is very divisive but just as there are many haters there are also many fans who love it and it's not because they are ND shills or because of some agenda or whatever. In the future when we live in a less polarized time I actually think this game will be looked upon better with age.

If you didnt read it:

And this is far more reliable to know wht the public opinion is instead of a award ceremony that perfectly can accept paychecks.
Over 6 million people have played it with the vast majority having finished it. There is praise for the game all over the place with many considering it the GotG. But hey the haters have nothing to go on other than a game that has been out of several months didn't make the top 20 digital sales chart this month. Never mind the fact that other games like God of War also fell out of the top 20 after a short time only to make appearances in it again later on. TLOU 2 is outpacing TLOU 1 and will end the year as one of the best selling games. Ya'll stay mad about it.

Last edited:

LockeKappa

Neo Member
LMAO one place matters more than another and I ignored everything in this thread LMAO. The Game Awards counts all gamers as well and it matters lol.

I literally don't care about TLou2 or this thread I just found your post to be hypocritical and dismissive enough to reply in kind lol.

UR50iMH.png

I mean, this is a purposefully divisive game, and these forums fall on the political side of things that by default would dislike this game. So yes, these forums are a bubble. I'm honestly surprised there's as many people here defending the game.

I can only laugh at the Lucky part: You are aware that the first one sold north of 17 millions copies over its lifetime? Lucky to sell as well? What if it were to sell only 10 millions (it will do better than that), do you think that ND and Sony would be in a dire situation? I mean, the hot takes that you read here threaten to lower one’s IQ. Thankfully, I have tens of them to spare before typing a statement such as the one above...

If you didnt read it:

Do you have any proof of them being bribed? "It is inconceivable that a game that I personally hate, for reasons I do not have the capacity to clearly articulate, and which has garnered a Lot of praise from the majority of players, could win a coveted prize. Must be the work of the Sony Ninjas, aided by Geoff and the Mossad operatives..".

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, this is a purposefully divisive game, and these forums fall on the political side of things that by default would dislike this game.
From the 9 million TLoU2 threads that were made the major complaint was that people that didn't like this game because of the treatment of older characters. If you want to call that political I'll call this desk a bed.
So yes, these forums are a bubble. I'm honestly surprised there's as many people here defending the game.
The point was these forums have nothing to do with the OP itself, the decline in sales.

Woggleman

Some people no matter what their politics can look past whatever supposed agenda the game has and judge on it's merits. Also they didn't set out to make a divisive game. They knew it would be divisive and made it anyway which I respect more than playing it safe.

I can only laugh at the Lucky part: You are aware that the first one sold north of 17 millions copies over its lifetime? Lucky to sell as well? What if it were to sell only 10 millions (it will do better than that), do you think that ND and Sony would be in a dire situation? I mean, the hot takes that you read here threaten to lower one’s IQ. Thankfully, I have tens of them to spare before typing a statement such as the one above...
Yet you wasted time you will never get back reading my post
Move along

LockeKappa

Neo Member
From the 9 million TLoU2 threads that were made the major complaint was that people that didn't like this game because of the treatment of older characters. If you want to call that political I'll call this desk a bed.

The point was these forums have nothing to do with the OP itself, the decline in sales.

If you think that politics doesnt play into the majority of opinions floating around about this game, both positive and negative, then I'll call this desk a fridge.

Woggleman

If you think that politics doesnt play into the majority of opinions floating around about this game, both positive and negative, then I'll call this desk a fridge.
It does but it shouldn't. None of what is in the game should be considered political besides maybe the Seraphite and WLF conflict. The other stuff should just be considered a fact of life that is shown in a game. Judge the game on it's merits and whatever opinion you have fine but it is sad that this has become a battle in the culture war.

Hugare

You guys are fucking hilarious

"The Last of Us Part 2 is the third highest-grossing game in the US in PlayStation history"

I'm sure that Neil Druckman and those at Sony are crying all the way to the bank

It falling off the top 20 or not, doesnt matter.

It's already considered a success by Sony in terms of sales

Get fucked, haters

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
The last of us part 2 is not a bad game, have a good gameplay, graphics, i love the ost... Abby for me is not bad at all...

The fucking problem is that "Duckman" destroy the special relansionship of Joel and Ellie, and there is not a special moments road travel like the first one.

Bodomism

Banned
You guys are fucking hilarious

"The Last of Us Part 2 is the third highest-grossing game in the US in PlayStation history"

I'm sure that Neil Druckman and those at Sony are crying all the way to the bank

It falling off the top 20 or not, doesnt matter.

It's already considered a success by Sony in terms of sales

Get fucked, haters
3rd for PS history isn't that big as it's still below Splatoon 2 physical copies revenue in the US.

EDMIX

https://blog.playstation.com/2018/08/13/playstation-store-julys-top-downloads-3/

God Of War...not charted, MUST HAVE BEEN A FLOP /s

Spiderman missing? Must have failed... /s

Uncharted 4 NOT in the top 20? Must mean it failed... /s

Fallout 4 NOT in the top 20? must mean it failed. /s

Horizon Zero Dawn is not in the top 20? Man, it must have been a failure, thats not normal AT ALL /s

Its very easy to look at information in a bubble with little context, but in order to truly understand what this means, you need to look at how past titles performed folks.... Its why some of you on here avoid the topic as soon as someone brings up such data.

GTAV dropped 83% in sales the following weeks, using such knee jerk triggered reactions one could be dumb enough to argue its on its way to failure

Fallout 4 dropped in sales 80% following release and many tried to argue its cause 4 sucks and MANY won't buy it cause they like 3 or NV etc.....went on to become the best selling Fallout game in history...

So all anyone has to do is look at the comments of those games and you'll see stuff like "80% drop in sales for fallout ? Wow seems people don't like buggy games :) " and then clearly you have folks that UNDERSTAND the history of sales and respond with "70-80% drops is about normal for big games on their second week."

So I believe ultimately you simply have a bunch of people that dislike a game and they're trying to find any small bit of information to reach to pretend it's something "unusual or abnormal" at the same time being scared to acknowledge the examples of it occurring with other games. So for all you know, some of you would be making threads about Fallout 4 or Uncharted 4 or God Of War or Spiderman etc falling off the charts.

Why argue about this being some massive doom and gloom, yet ignore the very data that shows how other games actually did on those charts? :pie_raybans:

Last edited:
https://blog.playstation.com/2018/08/13/playstation-store-julys-top-downloads-3/

God Of War...not charted, MUST HAVE BEEN A FLOP /s

Spiderman missing? Must have failed... /s

Uncharted 4 NOT in the top 20? Must mean it failed... /s

Fallout 4 NOT in the top 20? must mean it failed. /s

Horizon Zero Dawn is not in the top 20? Man, it must have been a failure, thats not normal AT ALL /s

Its very easy to look at information in a bubble with little context, but in order to truly understand what this means, you need to look at how past titles performed folks.... Its why some of you on here avoid the topic as soon as someone brings up such data.

GTAV dropped 83% in sales the following weeks, using such knee jerk triggered reactions one could be dumb enough to argue its on its way to failure

Fallout 4 dropped in sales 80% following release and many tried to argue its cause 4 sucks and MANY won't buy it cause they like 3 or NV etc.....went on to become the best selling Fallout game in history...

So all anyone has to do is look at the comments of those games and you'll see stuff like "80% drop in sales for fallout ? Wow seems people don't like buggy games :) " and then clearly you have folks that UNDERSTAND the history of sales and respond with "70-80% drops is about normal for big games on their second week."

So I believe ultimately you simply have a bunch of people that dislike a game and they're trying to find any small bit of information to reach to pretend it's something "unusual or abnormal" at the same time being scared to acknowledge the examples of it occurring with other games. So for all you know, some of you would be making threads about Fallout 4 or Uncharted 4 or God Of War or Spiderman etc falling off the charts.

Why argue about this being some massive doom and gloom, yet ignore the very data that shows how other games actually did on those charts? :pie_raybans:
Just like that guy who kept avoiding the point that TLOU2 was near the top of the charts in July and just kept saying it stopped selling after the first 3 days in June. They just turn their head to all the facts and keep repeating their failed argument.

The Last of Us Part II is old news anyway. Everyone is talking about the PS5, Series X, and new games for Switch. PlayStation fans moved onto talking about Ghost of Tsushima a while ago.

Seriously, what is going on with NeoGAF? I wish we had more genuine, interesting discussions on games instead of this concern trolling for the other side. I must be in the minority because I couldn't give a shit about software sales charts. First page of Gaming always has some bullshit console war equivalent of "U mad? You should be" headline. Knock it off already.

Last edited:
Good news for me, I’ll buy it when it hits $20. Somehow, I do know the game is controversial to many, but I don’t know why... Managed to completely avoid the drama.

Wait for $4.99 or free on PSN plus, it's not worth at above $5 price point.

Not going to ask why, but I seem to remember it gathering plenty of high scores when it came out... Will find out for myself when it’s in the bargain bin. Still haven’t managed to get far in the first one though - just. So. Dull.

Over 6 million people have played it with the vast majority having finished it. There is praise for the game all over the place with many considering it the GotG. But hey the haters have nothing to go on other than a game that has been out of several months didn't make the top 20 digital sales chart this month. Never mind the fact that other games like God of War also fell out of the top 20 after a short time only to make appearances in it again later on. TLOU 2 is outpacing TLOU 1 and will end the year as one of the best selling games. Ya'll stay mad about it.
All of this talk about it being the fastest selling or highest selling or highest rated or most completed single-player for a PS4 exclusive (which still just means 42 percent of people didn't complete the story), none of these metrics matter because the real reason people are critical of the sequel has to do with its story and treatment of its characters. You shouldn't expect someone to like a game just because it sells well anyway.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
TLOU2 is an objectively terrible game. But for some reason people feel the need to defend its honor like it's some sort of cultural artifact to be preserved. It did nothing to push storytelling forward, it did nothing to push gameplay forward. The only thing it did was serve as a massive personal wankfest for Druckman to insert his degenerate fetishes into a game that other people would watch.

There's only one person this game is made for. That's Neil Druckman himself. In the end, this is what it comes down to. This is a game by Neil Druckman, for Neil Druckman. Its not for anyone else. I asked in the beginning: What is 'The Last of Us 2'? The answer is it is a 100 million dollar vanity project. That's all this game is. It is to revel in the greatness of Neil Druckman. His characters are better, his story is better, everything is better. It is designed for him. He is the one to play this game at the end. Its the one he wanted to play.

Its why the studio left, its why he had to outsource. This was not a collaborative effort. This was a vanity project built on somebody else's dime. There is no audience for this game besides one person. Its not for you, its not for me, its not for fans, its not for people who play games, its not for progressives. It is only for Neil Druckman and you will pay for that privilege.

In short, the game hates you. No matter who you are. It is a 100 million dollar title telling you to go fuck yourself. It is singularly, the worst written, most pathetic excuse for a piece of art I've ever seen for this budget. Its the definition of a vanity project.

Nothing makes me laugh harder than people trying to defend it.

It's a game with a fictional character. I can't believe this game bothers people this much. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
Top Bottom