• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TMNT Turtles in Time: Better on Arcade or SNES? (hint: It's SNES)

Pinky

Banned
Can't really say as I never played the arcade version of Turtles in Time, but I loved the game on SNES. Great fun. I really wanted Konami to put TMNT: The Arcade Game on SNES as well. I prefer that over Turtles in Time.

Hyperstone Heist had the best music.
Hperstone Heist OST

I was disappointed when I played the SNES and so many of these songs were either lacking or just didn't sound as good.

Hyperstone Heist tickled my ear holes something fierce.

Crazy Genesis owners man. Nah just kidding. Not really a fan of that sound chip for about half the games sadly. Hyperstone heist being one of them.

The into-the-screen throw is the greatest use of mode 7 ever.

E2xfuaz.gif

lazygecko

Hyperstone Heist ditches the time travel concept, and instead seems to lift some assets from the previous arcade game (which was called TMNT2 on the NES). I wonder if just a straight port of the previous arcade game would have been received better.

That's where I feel Hyperstone Heist is much stronger, and closer to the arcade version, most likely because its similar sound hardware I'm guessing. The synths are alot closer. I don't think the beats or hits have quite the same punch as the SNES version though. Which is a shame because that's pretty much what I remember the arcade game for.

I think the PCM samples are actually 4-bit in fidelity, so there isn't really much room to be "punchy" at that resolution.

Jetman

Nice! Played Turtles in Time, but guess I should track down Hyperstone Heist at some point.

I also really enjoyed TMNT:Tournament Fighters on SNES, but I don't know if that game gets any love around here. Tournament Fighters on Genesis was also a completely different game from the SNES version if I recall.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Who would even argue this.

Turtles in Time SNES is the best beat 'em up I ever played by far, the best made ever to me.

My most-played SNES game, my favorite SNES games, Super Metroid being right after it. I'd wake up on a Saturday morning, and speed through the game, then go to the sound test and just listen to the amazing soundtrack.All doing this as a kid. Couldn't imagine doing this on the regular for any other game.

The mechanics were so good, and I had them down to a T. Whenever I wanted, I could slam the enemies back and forth, or toss them into the screen.

I usually forget that that garbage 3D remake was ever made. If you ever wanted proof that a perfect game could be ruined even when all the work is done and nothing needed to be changed about the game, or an example of what it looks like to pour dung over a diamond, look no further. They already screwed up by choosing to base it on the arcade version. All they had to do was port Turtles in Time with 4 players with online play. That's it. But it's almost as if they were tasked to ruin it on purpose with no original soundtrack and the lifeless 3D they brought it over with.

Garlador

I usually forget that that garbage 3D remake was ever made. If you ever wanted proof that a perfect game could be ruined even when all the work is done and nothing needed to be changed about the game, or an example of what it looks like to pour dung over a diamond, look no further. They already screwed up by choosing to base it on the arcade version. All they had to do was port Turtles in Time with 4 players with online play. That's it. But it's almost as if they were tasked to ruin it on purpose with no original soundtrack and the lifeless 3D they brought it over with.
You know, as a huge fan of Turtles in Time, I never got the Re-Shelled version.

Surely, it can't be THAT ba...
... I'd still like the SNES version with 4 player online support. That's all.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

You can't appreciate its badness in still shots. More than anything else, the fact that it ran at like ~50fps with constant screen tearing made it feel even jankier than it should have.

SkylineRKR

Well, the SNES version is the best without a doubt.

Hyperstone was decent, but it lacked the mode 7 effects and had worse sound. But it was a bit faster and more challenging I think. Re-Shelled was crap, I was all over the original TMNT on XBLA and hoped they would just port the original arcade rom of In Time at least.

jett

D-Member
Konami's arcade beat'em ups are horrifically balanced, designed to rob you of your quarters. SNES version is better indeed.

HDL, a speedrunner of the arcade version wrote a Pastebin with his opinion on the SNES version being iffy with stuff I didn't know about.

I did grow up with both versions. Wish I still had my copy.
So I look at the list in the link and it has me wondering since so many people are praising the SNES version's "superior gameplay." Is the SNES version actually even better or is it just easier so people think it's better?

Garlador

Arcade: 4 players, best graphics and animation, best voice and audio quality
SNES: best extra content, throw enemies at screen anytime, longest version
Genesis: run button makes gameplay so much better, faster gameplay, best challenge, more animation frames than SNES
Re-Shelled: 4 players, 3D graphics, didn't even come with a Pizza Hut coupon...

I have no idea how hard it would be to "mod" the perfect Turtles in Time game together...

The graphics, audio quality, and animation of the Arcade, the gameplay improvements of the Genesis, all the extra stages from both versions, the ability to select which soundtrack you prefer, all with 4 player co-op...

Just the thought....
fry-futurama-foaming-mouth-want-foam-13581153622.gif

The SNES game is incredible but I do prefer the music of the arcade game.

The XBLA / PSN remake legitimately made me angry with Ubisoft. We're probably never going to get a proper re-release of the game now because of that trash.

My dream compilation contains every single TMNT game from Konami on one disc. I'd be in heaven.

Arcade: 4 players, best graphics and animation, best voice and audio quality
SNES: best extra content, throw enemies at screen anytime, longest version
Genesis: run button makes gameplay so much better, faster gameplay, best challenge, more animation frames than SNES
Re-Shelled: 4 players, 3D graphics, didn't even come with a Pizza Hut coupon...

I have no idea how hard it would be to "mod" the perfect Turtles in Time game together...

The graphics, audio quality, and animation of the Arcade, the gameplay improvements of the Genesis, all the extra stages from both versions, the ability to select which soundtrack you prefer, all with 4 player co-op...

Just the thought....
fry-futurama-foaming-mouth-want-foam-13581153622.gif
Konami is presumed to hold the rights over some assets in Turtles in Time (supposedly that's why the horrible Ubisoft remake didn't have any of the original music) and seeing how much Konami sucks now I don't think we'll ever get this fabled definitive TMNT:TiT release unless a whole bunch of people collaborate together... and that would also mean Konami getting their heads out of their ass which I don't see happening anytime soon.

The SNES game is incredible but I do prefer the music of the arcade game.

The XBLA / PSN remake legitimately made me angry with Ubisoft. We're probably never going to get a proper re-release of the game now because of that trash.

My dream compilation contains every single TMNT game from Konami on one disc. I'd be in heaven.
You see, that takes a company that cares about its fans. And right now TMNT is not Pro Evo Soccer, Metal Gear or a Pachinko machine so we have a higher probability of getting a Chrono Trigger sequel or a Metroid game developed by Naughty Dog than we have a TMNT anything from Konami nowadays.

So I look at the list in the link and it has me wondering since so many people are praising the SNES version's "superior gameplay." Is the SNES version actually even better or is it just easier so people think it's better?

I just spent an hour playing the arcade version. There are concessions and compromises to make the controls more accessible in the super nintendo version. It's true the animations are simplified and some moves are even removed. It's also true that the AI is much more dynamic and interesting in the arcade release. I mean, you don't have to trust my opinion. Yeah, the snes version has the technodrome level but....it's not even that great. Yeah, they added some stuff to bring it in line with the second turtles film, tokka and razar as well as super shredder. believe me, if it were a nostalgia thing I'd be saying the snes version is better. I played the hell out of it as a kid. The Arcade version is a much better fidelity and the snes version definitely feels watered down. It's also far, far more challenging. take that as you will but I think it's fair to say someone who speedruns both games probably knows what he's talking about.

PSqueak

Banned
Konami's arcade beat'em ups are horrifically balanced, designed to rob you of your quarters. SNES version is better indeed.

Hahaha, yeah, that one shot kill bomb that happens if you havent cleared the stage or lost a credit in like 3 or so minutes is bullshit.

I just spent an hour playing the arcade version. There are concessions and compromises to make the controls more accessible in the super nintendo version. It's true the animations are simplified and some moves are even removed. It's also true that the AI is much more dynamic and interesting in the arcade release. I mean, you don't have to trust my opinion. Yeah, the snes version has the technodrome level but....it's not even that great. Yeah, they added some stuff to bring it in line with the second turtles film, tokka and razar as well as super shredder. believe me, if it were a nostalgia thing I'd be saying the snes version is better. I played the hell out of it as a kid. The Arcade version is a much better fidelity and the snes version definitely feels watered down. It's also far, far more challenging. take that as you will but I think it's fair to say someone who speedruns both games probably knows what he's talking about.

Tokka and Razzar where in the Arcade game, the added bosses in SNES were Beebop and Rocksteady in the pirate ship level (where you fought Tokka and Razzar in the Arcade game).

Snes version felt so much better because of the hit stun on enemies and the sound it made. I believe in the arcade version when you hit enemies it made no sound.

Did anyone feel that hyperstone's heist felt heavier and meatier? I felt like SNES Turtles in Time felt very loose and light.

Yes. HH is faster and snappier, feels smoother with more frames, and ends up a little more fun to actually land hits with as a consequence. The sound effects probably help and the music is better, too... SNES game still probably is the best 16-bit TMNT, though...better than the arcade game, though the loss of four players could be a dealbreaker. Personally, I never really got into Konami's brand of BEU-lite. Too bad they never brought Vendetta home.

said the guy posting on a video game message board about which version of an old 90's beat em up is better.

It's amazing to me that there might actually be people who post on GAF that fail to see that they. are. the. fucking. video game. nerd. If you bothered to register here and post, you're not a normal mainstream gamer, motherfucker.

Ziffles

The into-the-screen throw is the greatest use of mode 7 ever.

E2xfuaz.gif

That's not mode 7. The arcade version used sprite scaling, which the snes couldn't do (not without addon chips). So with the snes version they just drew the up-close sprites ahead of time.

If the snes version used mode 7 for the throw, it would've had to make the background layers disappear to a solid color.

sphinx

the piano man
SIDE question:

was the arcade version of Turtles in Time beatable with one coin??

I remember trying for 1 or 2 years but never got past the crocodile boss in a train.

The game would get exponetially harder throwing more enemies at you as you continued advancing in the game.

I had like 4 levels to finish but never got anywhere near.

entremet

SIDE question:

I remember trying for 1 or 2 years but never got past the crocodile boss in a train.

The game would get exponetially harder throwing more enemies at you as you continued advancing in the game.

Those Konami games were hilariously cheap. They were arcade games so it made sense for coin operators.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
SIDE question:

Only arcade game/fighter I was able to beat on one coin around that time was Mortal Kombat II, using Baraka and his cheap scissor move on the CPU.

All other fighters or arcade games were "cheap" on the higher difficulty levels, and most arcade owners did not know how to balance the machines to keep gamers hooked, they just ramped it up to max difficulty, lol. So it became a quarter pump fest only when 4 people were playing and crowded them.

lazygecko

Snes version felt so much better because of the hit stun on enemies and the sound it made. I believe in the arcade version when you hit enemies it made no sound.

SNES version just uses a low pitched version of the snare drum for hit sounds to save space, and it happens to work really well.

LakeEarth

HDL, a speedrunner of the arcade version wrote a Pastebin with his opinion on the SNES version being iffy with stuff I didn't know about.

I did grow up with both versions. Wish I still had my copy.

He has some interesting points, and I can see why a speedrunner would enjoy "unpredictable" enemies. But I think this unpredictability can also be interpreted as cheap, which is why people don't like it as much.

Garlador

Where do we rank Project Manhattan? To me that was just behind Turtles in Time.

Easily second-best Turtle game.
Graphics, music, stages... It STILL holds up so well.
gfs_29048_2_5.jpg

Dang it all. You all have me wishing we could get a Konami Turtle collection. It's the most impossible of dreams.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I never thought about it, but a package of all three games (Arcade, SNES, Genesis) with the option of playing them individually plus all levels for all three games in a huge marathon playlist in a row a la Halo Master Chief Collection, with up-ressed assets (no filter, actually done from scratch like Shovel Knight) would be absolutely amazing. Each level with their actual soundtrack music faithfully remastered with no remix BS, four player co-op even for the SNES & Genesis levels.

Oh my goodness.

Let me stop myself, although that would sell so much.

Shit, with how big TMNT is again right now with the current series & the new movie sequel coming out this year, why not?

You dodged a bullet.

So did I, thanks to mandatory XBLA demos. With how bad it looked, I still had to try it even once just to confirm how bad it was since I don't think there was much media coverage of the game at all. Had I spent even a cent on that game, I'd be even more angrier at the devs till now.

Look how even your screenshot has screen tearing.

VariantX

I'll tell you which was the worst version. That crappy HD remake from Ubisoft or whoever it was.

The hell were they thinking with that version?? They just had to copy the gameplay from the arcade/snes/genesis versions and they were home free. They made the game play weird and play in 3d. You move up and down and attack on a 2d plane, how do you fuck that up? That one change turns it into an entirely different game.

TreIII

Where do we rank Project Manhattan? To me that was just behind Turtles in Time.

It's actually my favorite of Konami's TMNT games (if we don't count SNES Tournament Fighters). Turtles in Time was too short, whereas I feel that Manhattan Project was "just right" when it came to length. It also had more and varied boss battles, which were all quite fun to figure out the first time. And that OST is easily what would consider to be Kozo Nakamura at his best.

Dang it all. You all have me wishing we could get a Konami Turtle collection. It's the most impossible of dreams.

I know, right?

The best I'm hoping for is that P*'s upcoming game will do more to remind us of when TMNT games used to be among the best examples of how licensed properties could make for great games.

sphinx

the piano man
Only arcade game/fighter I was able to beat on one coin around that time was Mortal Kombat II, using Baraka and his cheap scissor move on the CPU.

All other fighters or arcade games were "cheap" on the higher difficulty levels, and most arcade owners did not know how to balance the machines to keep gamers hooked, they just ramped it up to max difficulty, lol. So it became a quarter pump fest only when 4 people were playing and crowded them.

but Konami did change something because I know for a fact TMNT (1) was beatable with one coin, I remember watching all afternoon one boy playing by himself with Donatello and beatl it with one coin, can't remember if he lost a life but we were all like "WTF... it was possible)

same with the simpsons, that game I finished it without losing a life using Homer.

but Turtles in Time it was cheap all the way, for every stage you didn't die, the enemy would move faster and be more aggresive in the next one. shitty coin muncher,

Garlador

All the Konami Arcade and NES/SNES/Genesis games were a cut above.

The graphics, gameplay, levels, bosses, and music were just top-tier.

I'm getting nostalgic for the whole set they did now. They don't often make games with that much "energy" and creativity behind them.

Especially when it came to environments. Enemies popped up out of the floorboards, stuff came down stairs, statues sprung to life, enemies attacking from the backgrounds... it was so brilliant.

Now watch the Hyperstone Heist weirdos come scurrying out of the woodwork.

Hyperstone Heist was like the B-side to Turtles in Time. It is still a solid game in its own right, but it is still a lesser effort overall. A halfway mix between the original Arcade game and Turtles in Time. I kind of wish they put more effort into the game to make it more of an original title. The gameplay is really smooth on the Genesis though, and the enemies are much more aggressive than the SNES game. It does have a great soundtrack with a lot of nice renditions of the music from both arcade games. There's at least two original tracks as well, that do sound great. Hyperstone Heist is a good solid fighting game, but it lacks the originality of some of the other Turtles games.

As for the Turtles in Time....

Single Player/ Two player = SNES
Four player = Arcade

I know everyone says that the arcade game in totally unbalanced, and it is as it was designed to eat quarters. But The unbalanced nature of the game works well in four player mode. Having the odds stacked against four players is kind of fun.

I did play the Ubi Soft remake, and it wasn't as bad as people claimed it was. But I will still take the SNES or Arcade versions over it.

Top Bottom