• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TMNT Turtles in Time: Better on Arcade or SNES? (hint: It's SNES)

lordmrw

Just listening to youtube, I think I like the way the arcade music sounds more than the SNES version, but that's just me.

I'm actually upset at myself I didn't get the remake when I could. I knew that people were hating on it then as they are now, and it could all be true, but I still with I bought it because I've never played Turtles in Time. I have the original Arcade game on XBLA and NES, at least.

Oh, I have this too! Maybe it's time to bust out the NES Advantage...

edit: from what I remember hearing, Castlevania 3 JPN is easier than the one we got in the States. I don't know any specifics, though...

It is. My review goes into detail about the differences.

I definitely agree, the SNES was the better version between the two.

If there was a better remake of this game & if it had a mix between the Arcade version & the SNES version of the following below, it would've been perfect:

Big Apple, 3 A.M., Alleycat Blues, Bury My Shell At Wounded Knee, Neon Night Riders, & Starbase: Where No Turtle Has Gone Before: Same as the Arcade versions.

Sewer Surfin': Same as Arcade version, but with Rat King at the end.

Technodrome: Let's Kick Shell!: Same as SNES version (of course).

Prehistoric Turtlesarus: Same as Arcade version, but with Slash.

Skull & Crossbones: Same as Arcade version, but with Rocksteady & Bebop.

Technodrome: The Final Shell Shock: Super Shredder instead of Shredder with light saber.

All with 4 Player mode.

sphinx

the piano man
Then the game would be possible to 1CC on normal(which is a good thing since easy is still the only way to do it).

I remember my strategy was using Michelangelo. after a while the hordes of enemies would force me to spam his 2 button attack, a swim-like movement where he opens his arms/nunchucks wide, I was hoping to get 4 or 5 soliders each time.

I also remember walking VERY slowly in the cave level to avoid getting the screen too crowded and that didn't help either. At one point, I managed to get the screen empty, then moved by the milimeter and bam, 12 soldiers right there...

nightmares from my childhood! lol

eshock

Not quite the thread for it, but I figure the right people are reading this so I'll ask.

I could've sworn that after the NES port of TMNT arcade came out, Pizza Hut got a 2nd rev of the game that included the two NES levels. However, in my brief googling I can find no evidence of it. Mamedb does list a 2nd revision of the US version, but doesn't have any info about content.

Does anyone else remember this? Is my brain just making things up?

edit: I'm pretty sure this was not the PC10 version. But hell, I don't have any evidence to back that up either.

Yeah the hideout inside and outside tracks are great. Probably due to them being original tracks for the genesis game.

The two tracks for Shredders hideout were some of the best in the Genesis game. Though I also really do like the Genesis rendition of Skull & Crossbones (AKA The Mysterious Ghost Ship). I prefer it over the SNES version. It's just really punchy.

Also, Sewer Surfin' (called Riding the Waves in the Genesis game) is another good rendition on the Genesis. Here's the SNES version for comparison.

Remember when you would buy a Konami title just because it was a Konami title. You instinctively knew it would be a good game based on the company.

WTF happened to this company!!

I have nothing but love for the SNES version, but am completely neutral on the Arcade version. I still enjoy busting out TMNT4 from time to time just to 1CC it on Hard. Fuck Slash, though. Even after learning how to beat him quickly, fuck Slash.

Jetman

Not quite the thread for it, but I figure the right people are reading this so I'll ask.

I could've sworn that after the NES port of TMNT arcade came out, Pizza Hut got a 2nd rev of the game that included the two NES levels. However, in my brief googling I can find no evidence of it. Mamedb does list a 2nd revision of the US version, but doesn't have any info about content.

Does anyone else remember this? Is my brain just making things up?

edit: I'm pretty sure this was not the PC10 version. But hell, I don't have any evidence to back that up either.

Hmm, I remember there being differences in the NES version compared to the Arcade one (the snow level in Central Park and a level in a Japanese dojo with a cyber samurai fight at the end?) , but not sure if those were because of a 2nd revision to the game or what.

Piccoro

Wait, didn't TMNT IV have four player support with the Multitap?

No it did not.

Also, don't forget you can unlock the arcade version in this game:
Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles_3_-_Mutant_Nightmare_Coverart.png

When I first tried the arcade version something felt off. Physics, hit detection and the levels. So the SNES game is the best by far. However I wonder how the Arcade of the Turtles 2 arcade fairs towards the NES game. I really wanted to try out the port ofthat one out on the xbox 360.

eshock

Hmm, I remember there being differences in the NES version compared to the Arcade one (the snow level in Central Park and a level in a Japanese dojo with a cyber samurai fight at the end?) , but not sure if those were because of a 2nd revision to the game or what.

The way I remembered it was because Pizza Hut moneyhatted the NES version (all the in-game posters were changed to Pizza Hut), they got a 2nd rev of the arcade game w the NES-exclusive content. But, I can find no evidence this ever happened besides the fact that Mamedb does list a 2nd revision of the game.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
SNES version is the better game but the soundtrack is plagued by that horrible DRAMATIC SYNTH CHORD effect that should have died in the 1980s but for some reason Konami insisted on using in their SNES games.

I know exactly what you're talking about... the "Planet Rock" (and every other freestyle song ever) sound. Don't know what it's called or what type of synth produced it but yeah that was such a big sound back in the day.

Top Bottom