• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TMNT Turtles in Time Re-Shelled will be GONE in the US after June 30

entremet

Don't blame XBL or DD. The content right holders are keen on expiring contracts. This happens on Netflix all that time.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
giggas said:
Oh well, TMNT games haven't been good since the 16 bit days anyway.
The GBA beat-em-up was supposed to be really sold.

Mithos said:
Would like them a lot more if they just stopped removing games period.
The only option to have them stop removing them (games that need licensing deals) is to stop making them at all.

LiK

Lord-Audie said:
What enhancements?

SNES:

2 Player
6 Characters on the screen at the same time limit.
Both the Sewer and the Sky board stages were RUINED... RUINNNNEENENEND
Also Rat King sucked.
The technodrome stage wasn't worth it.
THEY TOOK OUT LIGHTSABER SHREDDER FOR LAME ASS MUTANT SHREDDER...

*HEAD EXPLODES*

DO I NEED TO SAY MORE.

i can't forget how much i raged on the SNES ver. because of how crap it was compared to arcade.
lol, other than the player count, I preferred the SNES version changes.

If they decide to put the 2D version up, it will be the Arcade version cuz I doubt Nintendo will let XBLA/PSN get SNES version. So no worries. ^^

Mithos

Princess Skittles said:
The only option to have them stop removing them (games that need licensing deals) is to stop making them at all.
Stop doing temporary licensing agreements. We do this game ONLY if licensing is FOREVER, on this particular format/platform = no more removal of game.

Dynedom

SNES version had more levels and the OST sounded better (must be dat SNES sound). Winner hands down. Only advantage the arcade had was 4 players.

Edit: Hot damn. I forgot how awesome the SNES OST was. Uehara killed it on that soundtrack.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Mithos said:
Stop doing temporary licensing agreements. We do this game ONLY if licensing is FOREVER, on this particular format/platform = no more removal of game.
Reality Check: That is probably never going to happen.

Dynedom said:
SNES version had more levels and the OST sounded better (must be dat SNES sound). Winner hands down. Only advantage the arcade had was 4 players.

Edit: Hot damn. I forgot how awesome the SNES OST was. Uehara killed it on that soundtrack.

You have marvelous taste, please tell me you also like his work for SNES Tournament Fighters?

I must be living in bizzarro world.

Someone please explain to me how the borked skateboard stages on the SNES ver are better than the ones on the Arcade?

PLEASE.

How is mutant Shredder better than M'FING LIGHTSABER Shredder??????

PLEASE.

I really prefer the SNES version. Not really sure why, probably because I played it first. It does seem more enjoyable an experience than the arcade one, though.

Gameboy415

Thanks for the heads up, OP.

Just purchased it on PSN.

I thought I already owned it, but I guess it was a gameshare from my friend.
Grabbed Outland too. :)

I recently picked up some of the Gamecube TMNT games and finally tracked down a copy of TMNT III: The Manhattan Project for NES!

Cowabunga! hahaha

*EDIT* The SNES version is tops for sure.

Dynedom said:

Check out the OC remixes too, the ones of level 3 (Sewer Surfin', with the Rat King) are killer.

Shit I STILL start singing the opening bars to that song whenever it's pizza time :D

entremet

Mithos said:
It will never happen. It happens with physical media too. For example, Capcom used to have the Disney license back in the 8/16 bit days. They don't have it anymore.

But with physical media, stuff goes out a print. DD can't go out of print, so to keep the terms of the contract, it is pulled out.

Thankfully, with rare exceptions, most licensed games suck these and the good ones like Batman: AA for example are owned by the publisher.

Teknoman

Azure Phoenix said:
Playable, yes. But all of the original music has been stripped out and replaced with generic rubbish.

Regarding Re-Shelled being de-listed, it's about time. Turtles in Time Re-Shelled is completely awful in every way and Ubisoft should be ashamed for even putting it out.

This. I cant believe how badly they butchered the soundtrack. I would have at least tried to force myself through the messed up 3D feel of the game if they had accurate original or remixed tracks from Arcade/SNES....

I mean no Neon Nightriders, Big Apple 3am, or Sewer Surfin themes? C'mon.

EDIT: SNES version had better music overall and a better view of the city for Neon Nightriders. Not to mention how cool it was (back in the day anyway) to see the entire stage shift perspective for the boss battle.

BigMack

Well, I'm glad they gave us a heads up this time (unlike all the other stuff that's been pulled with absolutely NO warning.)

But the one time it's announced ahead of time that something is going to be pulled, I already own it.

Teknoman said:
This. I cant believe how badly they butchered the soundtrack. I would have at least tried to force myself through the messed up 3D feel of the game if they had accurate original or remixed tracks from Arcade/SNES....

I mean no Neon Nightriders, Big Apple 3am, or Sewer Surfin themes? C'mon.

EDIT: SNES version had better music overall and a better view of the city for Neon Nightriders. Not to mention how cool it was (back in the day anyway) to see the entire stage shift perspective for the boss battle.

So you rather have no gameplay at all on the SNES version of Neon Nightriders. Because you can see a JPEG better?

REALLY?

*Eye twitching*

Teknoman

Best thing to happen to TMNT IV would be combining the best of the Arcade and SNES versions together, and then bringing it back to XBLA/Steam/PSN with the same level of care Guardian Heroes HD is receiving.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
crimzonflame said:
I have never played the remake but why was it universally panned?

Because they completely changed the gameplay.

RedSwirl

HOLD UP. Does this mean the 1989 arcade version is getting taken off too?! Do I need to go ahead and grab that?

TreIII

Can't say this wasn't expected. TMNT now being under the Viacom/Nickelodeon label pretty much implied that licenses were going to be changed.

As close as THQ seemingly is with Nick, I wouldn't be surprised if future games based on the property came from them.

LiK

RedSwirl said:
HOLD UP. Does this mean the 1989 arcade version is getting taken off too?! Do I need to go ahead and grab that?
I think 1989 is safe. Nothing about that being pulled from what I read.

Lord-Audie said:
So you rather have no gameplay at all on the SNES version of Neon Nightriders. Because you can see a JPEG better?

REALLY?

*Eye twitching*
I enjoyed both greatly an I'm not sure why you couldn't.

There are less enemies but that was fine because you could only have a maximum of 2 players. The music was sensational. Most of the visuals translated well given the hardware available at the time. Technodrome stage was very fun for fans of the animated series.

It's only obvious flaw was that it became very easy once you played enough to learn all the patterns...but in the SNES generation, that was true more often than not. And if you played the game enough to learn all the patterns as I did...well...you must have really enjoyed the game to give it that much lifetime. I played and beat it over and over again. The music on the future stage ranks among my very best memories of SNES music. I also preferred some of the home variants of enemies to the arcade version (Super Shreeder and Rat King were cool and gave consistency to the end of each stage).

That said, TMNT4 remains one of my favorite memories from that year on the SNES, along with Street Fighter II finally coming home.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Keyser Soze said:
Oh, shellshock
revolverjgw said:
Bury its shell at Wounded Knee
Best replies in the whole thread.

At least, they're much better than the "duhhhhhh, SNes is better because I have nostalgia goggles and that's where I remember playing the game".

Good.

If Mega Man 9 is the poster boy for how to do a revival the right way, "Re-Shelled" should be used as the example for how you don't.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Mithos said:
haha, a "permanent license?" things change and always will. deal with it.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
General Shank-a-snatch said:
The Turtles vs. Keenan & Kel? Would buy.

Just like Power Rangers Samurai, it has "good initial news" slowly dying due to later crappy news.

I saw the "Last Chance" banner on PSN the other day and thought this would happen. I can't say I enjoyed the game more than the SNES version, but it does suck to see a licensed game get pulled. This is just the nature of the beast I guess.

What's the prob with Mutant Shredder? I always gave Konami props for supporting the movies; they were always really on the ball with supporting all of the toy and comic characters that the TV show didn't bother with.

Ellis Kim

Banned
revolverjgw said:
Bury its shell at Wounded Knee
ah ha ha *slow clap*

So... I take it from GAF that this isn't worth buying in any hurry whatsoever?

I remember disliking the demo, at least. (I also still have a functioning copy of the SNES game on-hand, but eh).

Little Green Yoda said:
Didn't realize the arcade version had more enemies on screen at a time. Lightsaber Shredder looks lame as fuck compared to Mutant Shredder though.

128780655979346341.jpg

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
All of this arcade vs snes stuff is nonsense. Hyperstone Heist was superior to the lot of them!

As for this remake I think I played the demo and ya~ boring! Not sad ta see it go, but it still sucks another games lost to the ages.

Top Bottom