• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TMNT Turtles in Time Re-Shelled will be GONE in the US after June 30

Lord-Audie said:
What enhancements?

SNES:

2 Player
6 Characters on the screen at the same time limit.
Both the Sewer and the Sky board stages were RUINED... RUINNNNEENENEND
Also Rat King sucked.
The technodrome stage wasn't worth it.
THEY TOOK OUT LIGHTSABER SHREDDER FOR LAME ASS MUTANT SHREDDER...

*HEAD EXPLODES*

DO I NEED TO SAY MORE.

i can't forget how much i raged on the SNES ver. because of how crap it was compared to arcade.

Come at me Bro. This is my childhood ruined by one game that failed to live up to the arcade.

Note: More lame stages =/= Better game.
SNES had:

1) Better music

2) Tighter gameplay (you could more consistently keep enemies stunlocked, for example, and the lack of animation made it easier to tell that they were stunned)

Lindsay said:
All of this arcade vs snes stuff is nonsense. Hyperstone Heist was superior to the lot of them!

As for this remake I think I played the demo and ya~ boring! Not sad ta see it go, but it still sucks another games lost to the ages.

I'm not saying that the SNES port is a bad game. Just that it raped my childhood.

I spent mad quarters on the arcade ver of TMNT TIT.

I was just a naive kid expecting an arcade perfect port of the game on SNES. Also calling cheatlines to see if there was a code to activate 4 player more :(.

*SOBS*

Lord-Audie said:
I'm not saying that the SNES port is a bad game. Just that it raped my childhood.

I spent mad quarters on the arcade ver of TMNT TIT.

I was just a naive kid expecting an arcade perfect port of the game on SNES. Also calling cheatlines to see if there was a code to activate 4 player more :(.

*SOBS*
there there.

I assume you can play the arcade version with MAME or something like that?

In contrast, I played the arcade version some, but never really made it past Sewer Surfing. I was elated to find out it was coming to the SNES. I loved everything about the game...but the music especially.

BTW: Slash > blob dude on Prehistoric Turtlesaurus.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Also, I believe this game has been 400 points a couple times already.

It's not THAT BAD. At the promotional price, it's a good game.

Mithos

jooey said:
haha, a "permanent license?" things change and always will. deal with it.
Yes, a "permanent license" for TMNT Re-Shelled, so that it could be offered to anyone that want to buy it on XBLX/PSN by Ubisoft, IF they (Ubisoft) wanted to re-release it on Vita/PS4/Xb720/WiiU or any other platform in the future, they would have to sign a new license agreement with whomever own the rights to TMNT at that point.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
drizzle said:
Oh yeah, it's definitely nowhere near what people would want to make it out to be.

I had several enjoyable four player runs of the game.

drizzle said:
Also, I believe this game has been 400 points a couple times already.

If it drops to 400 points between now and the 30th, I'm in. Otherwise, I'd rather remember the game in its 2D, sprite glory rather than this 3D character stuff.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Mithos said:
Yes, a "permanent license" for TMNT Re-Shelled, so that it could be offered to anyone that want to buy it on XBLX/PSN by Ubisoft, IF they (Ubisoft) wanted to re-release it on Vita/PS4/Xb720/WiiU or any other platform in the future, they would have to sign a new license agreement with whomever own the rights to TMNT at that point.
Sure. That's a good idea. Who gets the money of subsequent sales tho? Ubisoft? Whoever held the rights at the time of the deal or whoever holds the rights now?

What about the Mortal Kombat 3 Ultimate, from Live? Netherealm Studios still exists, but the company that put that game out (Midway) doesn't. Who would get the money from those purchases? WB?

It's not that simple.

Teknoman

Its not nostalgia for me. I played both and I just like the SNES version better overall (even though I played the SNES version first...)

Now when it comes to other 90s ports like MK I or II, then arcade all day, every day.

entrement said:
Don't blame XBL or DD. The content right holders are keen on expiring contracts. This happens on Netflix all that time.

And its a part of a DD only future. It also sucks. If this was released as a cheap physical media, they could stop producing them, but people could still buy them.

Fuck a DD only future.

Having played this as a wee boy on my best friend's snes, going through the remake with my wife was an awesome blast of nostalgia.

For about two hours.

Dai101

Banned
lg20K.jpg

M3d10n

Shin Johnpv said:
And its a part of a DD only future. It also sucks. If this was released as a cheap physical media, they could stop producing them, but people could still buy them.

Fuck a DD only future.
Many more DD-only games will suffer the same fate someday, even original IP ones: studios and publishers can die and their IP goes into copyright limbo.

There's also the possibility of a DD service shutting down and taking all exclusive games with it in the process. I really don't expect Sony and MS to carry on their DD games onto future consoles for 20+ years.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I know it's terrible, but I still want to have this... If only so I can fire it up and show my friends what they did to it, before we go play the awesome SNES version.

Teppic

The SNES version is better because of the gameplay. In the arcade version you can take a lot of unfair hits by the enemies, compared to the SNES version where every hit you take is your own fault.

SNES has gameplay that's based on the amount of lives and continues you have.

Arcade has gameplay where you are supposed to die a lot so you have to shell out more money.

Lord-Audie said:
What enhancements?

SNES:

2 Player
Also Rat King sucked.

*HEAD EXPLODES*

DO I NEED TO SAY MORE.

i can't forget how much i raged on the SNES ver. because of how crap it was compared to arcade.

Come at me Bro. This is my childhood ruined by one game that failed to live up to the arcade.

The arcade version of Turtles in Time was AN ARCADE GAME, which means deliberately difficult in order to cheat you out of your money. All arcade games from that era have them; that moment where the game says "Okay, you've had $0.50 worth of fun, if you want to see the credits, that'll be $30 in quarters."

And even if you have the money for it, it stops being fun because it's just relentlessly difficult. Too many enemies on screen that do too much damage. They flank and surround you with attacks that take priority over yours and before you know it, that itty bitty health bar of yours is gone. Better hope you have more tokens - Konami sure does.

The SNES version was less a trick to steal your allowance and more a real, actual videogame. Sure, it was only two player, but its game mechanics were far more consistent, the music was much higher quality, and despite your complaints about the Technodrome level, fighting Shredder from a view in his own cockpit while you threw enemies at him was a great spectacle.

It also made more sense in the structure of whatever thin premise of plot the game had that Shredder and Krang would lure the turtles to the Technodrome and then throw them in to a time portal, instead of just appearing out of nowhere in the middle of an unrelated level and going "TIME WARP!"

The SNES version was better, sorry.

Turtles in Time Re-Shelled was a bad "upgrade" of the wrong version of the game. If they had just patched 4 player support in to the SNES version, that would've been perfect.

Koyuga

Wow, this game is getting way more hate than it deserves. Pretty surprised at this one, thought people liked the game.

The snes version has one of the top ost's of all time. If I had to pick a favorite it would definitely be Sewer Surfin.

As for Reshelled, I played the demo and that was enough for me. My hope is that Konami will one day make a true 2D sequel to Turtles in Time.

Yup, SNES version wins over arcade.

The hit detection is better and it just seems to control more fluidly.

The only two things about the arcade version that are better are that 1) it has clearer voice samples and 2) 4 players.

Other than that, SNES version destroys it.

Flink

My God - you people who like the SNES > Arcade are crazy. The music sounds like a bunch of robot farts mixed in with a terrible Mario Paint composition.

I like the SNES version over the Arcade version, but there was a few tracks in the Arcade version that I preferred over the SNES counterparts (Namely Neon Night Riders and the boss theme.)

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
It was a huuuuuge disappointment to me, I was so glad I played the trial first instead of buying right away.

And I was only slightly disappointed when I heard it was based on the arcade version and not the SNES version (my favorite SNES game PERIOD, right before Super Metroid, must've beaten that game about 100 times, and played the tunes in the Sound Test like crazy as a kid), and then grew more disappointed when I heard that it didn't atleast have the music to the game anymore, even if it would have been the arcade soundtrack, which I think was much worse than the SNES version.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
M3d10n said:
There's also the possibility of a DD service shutting down and taking all exclusive games with it in the process. I really don't expect Sony and MS to carry on their DD games onto future consoles for 20+ years.
Has there even been confirmation that the DD purchases right now will be available on next consoles?

K' Dash

I bought it on sale and had a lot of fun with local multiplayer, I will be able to download it again, right?, RIGHT?

BiggNife

Man I don't see how someone could say the Arcade version was better than the SNES version besides the fact it had 4 player

Technodrome is one of my favorite levels and it also has one of my favorite boss fights from the SNES era

The sound effects are better in the SNES version too. The sound effects when you hit an enemy are really satisfying, and its noticeably lacking in the arcade version.

Flink said:
My God - you people who like the SNES > Arcade are crazy. The music sounds like a bunch of robot farts mixed in with a terrible Mario Paint composition.

I think the SNES music is actually more fitting.

It makes me want to beat the shit out of stuff at a fast pace. And the sound effects, especially when you're hitting enemies, is much louder and more satisfying. SLAM SLAM SLAM

The Arcade music is great, but it seems softer and more trumpet-y.

Vinsanity

Lord-Audie said:
What enhancements?

SNES:

2 Player
Also Rat King sucked.

*HEAD EXPLODES*

DO I NEED TO SAY MORE.

SNES version had a manual dash and the arcade version didn't. Made the fighting more enjoyable.

Card Boy

Banned
The thing that irritated me off about Re-Shelled the most was the attacks didn't feel they had impact and the way enemies died with that terrible 'boom' explosion, it almost looked like a dodgy Flash effect.

I can look past the music, but there are afew animations and the gameplay was completely off when compared to the orginal. Graphics where good, as i said just that dodgy death explosion annoyed me thse most.

At least that Scott Pilgrim game was very good.

SonicMegaDrive said:
This video does a good job comparing the music of the 3 different versions of the game - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br-1wnAZKkI

Unfortunately, I made that video just based off the demo, so it only covers the first stage. I actually went ahead and bought the XBLA version during a Christmas Sale for $2, otherwise I probably would've showed other levels - and more of the SNES version's differences, by comparison.

Lindsay said:
All of this arcade vs snes stuff is nonsense. Hyperstone Heist was superior to the lot of them!

Let's put it like this. Even if you compare all 3 side by side the SNES version murders the competition easy. If the SNES version had 4 Players then it would be the version with no buts to the argument. All the arcade version had in comparison to the other 2 was 4 players. And the Sega version had Tatsu as a boss. Other than that the SNES just does it better in every single regard.

And as far as Re-Shelled goes, whatever. That game was a huge disappointment. I bought it just to support one of my favorite franchises and got burned a bit. I did enjoy playing it through with my brothers and that was cool as well. Now all Konami needs to do is get the SNES version on the VC and the Arcade version on PSN/XBLA with no edits and I think we may be cooking with gas.

Platy

Gez said:
The thing that irritated me off about Re-Shelled the most was the attacks didn't feel they had impact and the way enemies died with that terrible 'boom' explosion, it almost looked like a dodgy Flash effect.

I can look past the music, but there are afew animations and the gameplay was completely off when compared to the orginal. Graphics where good, as i said just that dodgy death explosion annoyed me thse most.

At least that Scott Pilgrim game was very good.

Castle Crashers is god amoung those insects

Also ... the world needs more beat em ups ... and even if this turtles one wasn't the best, it was a beat em up and i'm sad by seeing it go =(

Sega1991 said:
The arcade version of Turtles in Time was AN ARCADE GAME, which means deliberately difficult in order to cheat you out of your money. All arcade games from that era have them; that moment where the game says "Okay, you've had $0.50 worth of fun, if you want to see the credits, that'll be $30 in quarters."

And even if you have the money for it, it stops being fun because it's just relentlessly difficult. Too many enemies on screen that do too much damage. They flank and surround you with attacks that take priority over yours and before you know it, that itty bitty health bar of yours is gone. Better hope you have more tokens - Konami sure does.

The SNES version was less a trick to steal your allowance and more a real, actual videogame. Sure, it was only two player, but its game mechanics were far more consistent, the music was much higher quality, and despite your complaints about the Technodrome level, fighting Shredder from a view in his own cockpit while you threw enemies at him was a great spectacle.

It also made more sense in the structure of whatever thin premise of plot the game had that Shredder and Krang would lure the turtles to the Technodrome and then throw them in to a time portal, instead of just appearing out of nowhere in the middle of an unrelated level and going "TIME WARP!"

The SNES version was better, sorry.

Turtles in Time Re-Shelled was a bad "upgrade" of the wrong version of the game. If they had just patched 4 player support in to the SNES version, that would've been perfect.
*slow clap*

Top Bottom