• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TMNT Turtles in Time Re-Shelled will be GONE in the US after June 30

Mithos

drizzle said:
Sure. That's a good idea. Who gets the money of subsequent sales tho? Ubisoft? Whoever held the rights at the time of the deal or whoever holds the rights now?

What about the Mortal Kombat 3 Ultimate, from Live? Netherealm Studios still exists, but the company that put that game out (Midway) doesn't. Who would get the money from those purchases? WB?

It's not that simple.
I didn't say it would be like just checking a box on a piece of paper (aka easy fix), It will take some legal mumbo-jumbo writing in the contracts.

water_wendi said:
Has there even been confirmation that the DD purchases right now will be available on next consoles?
I would be happy if the DD purchases people have done on a console didn't expire, and whenever you felt like it as long as you got that console you could re-download the DD purchases you've made, weather its 1 year from now or 10 years from now.
IF they wanna be über-friendly and allow us to re-download and run DD purchases made on current consoles on a future console, that would be AWESOME too.

Takao

Banned
water_wendi said:
Has there even been confirmation that the DD purchases right now will be available on next consoles?

sony-playstation-vita-0.jpg

Compatible with every purchase of PSP software on PSN. That includes whatever games you bought in 2009, to whatever games you'll buy in 2012.

Sony's already doing that, so it won't surprise me for them to say "Hey, PS4 is backwards compatible with PS3 PSN games!".

I remember there being a big-screen version of this at my local chuck e cheese style facility when I was a kid. Almost as if it was rigger up to a large projection display in the realm of 50". Does anyone else remember this or is my childhood fucking with me again?

Not sure if I should get it. I loved the original but always passed on this remake. Don't want to pay full price and it's on sale on the 360 but I'm still using my launch 20GB hard drive and I've been out of room for years. I've tried not buying anything XBLA related in years for that reason. :/

Ifrit

Sega1991 said:
The arcade version of Turtles in Time was AN ARCADE GAME, which means deliberately difficult in order to cheat you out of your money. All arcade games from that era have them; that moment where the game says "Okay, you've had $0.50 worth of fun, if you want to see the credits, that'll be $30 in quarters."

And even if you have the money for it, it stops being fun because it's just relentlessly difficult. Too many enemies on screen that do too much damage. They flank and surround you with attacks that take priority over yours and before you know it, that itty bitty health bar of yours is gone. Better hope you have more tokens - Konami sure does.

The SNES version was less a trick to steal your allowance and more a real, actual videogame. Sure, it was only two player, but its game mechanics were far more consistent, the music was much higher quality, and despite your complaints about the Technodrome level, fighting Shredder from a view in his own cockpit while you threw enemies at him was a great spectacle.

It also made more sense in the structure of whatever thin premise of plot the game had that Shredder and Krang would lure the turtles to the Technodrome and then throw them in to a time portal, instead of just appearing out of nowhere in the middle of an unrelated level and going "TIME WARP!"

The SNES version was better, sorry.

Turtles in Time Re-Shelled was a bad "upgrade" of the wrong version of the game. If they had just patched 4 player support in to the SNES version, that would've been perfect.

Pretty much this, there's also the fact that AFAIK the throws were random in the arcade version, in the SNES you could opt for throwing them at the screen for added points to get more lives easily, OR slam them on the ground to hurt enemies around you

It's superior for adding Bebop and Rocksteady boss fights, also Slash >>>>>>>>>>>> Weird mud man thing

The perfect version (and what ubisoft should have done) would be a game with:
- 4 players coop
- Optional manual Dash
- SNES hit sounds
- SNES gameplay balance
- Arcade animations/graphics/voice quality
- Arcade sewers level (with SNES rat king as boss of course)
- Technodrome level, since its great and make plot sense with Tokka, Rahzar and FPS Shreder boss fights
- Slash in the prehistoric level
- Bebop and Rocksteady in the pirate stage
- Arcade neon light riders
- Last boss fight with Lightsaber Shredder who, once you beat, transforms into Super Shredder for the final fight
- Music style selecction between Arcade music and SNES music, I would choose SNES music btw but I would be nice to have the option

daycru

I got it for 200 points or so a few months back, was decent enough to run through with friends and some pizza. Got my money's worth.

LiK

daycru said:
I got it for 200 points or so a few months back, was decent enough to run through with friends and some pizza. Got my money's worth.

same, worth it at that price for the cheevos, lol

Dai101

Banned
AbsoluteZero said:
I remember there being a big-screen version of this at my local chuck e cheese style facility when I was a kid. Almost as if it was rigger up to a large projection display in the realm of 50". Does anyone else remember this or is my childhood fucking with me again?

Unless it's a custom made arcade cabinet (not the official from konami) it could be. In my local arcade there are large screen cabinets for the most played games. If i recall correctly the monitor for most arcade cabinets was a 27"

DryvBy

If you bought it already, and say your HD crashes, can you redownload it later? For some reason, on PS3, the MK2 that's up. I bought a while back. When I went to reisntall it, I had to search for it in my downloads because PSN wanted me to rebuy it. I know it's not the exact same but I want to make sure I can get my stuff again.

Struct09

DryvBy2 said:
If you bought it already, and say your HD crashes, can you redownload it later? For some reason, on PS3, the MK2 that's up. I bought a while back. When I went to reisntall it, I had to search for it in my downloads because PSN wanted me to rebuy it. I know it's not the exact same but I want to make sure I can get my stuff again.

You should be able to go into your download history and re-download it. This holds true for games like UMK3 on XBLA.

fernoca

Dreams-Visions said:
damn, that bad?
You could try the demo and see for yourself. In my case, it wasn't "that bad" maybe felt and played a little different than the original, but overall was fun.

Try the demo, imagine a few more stages and if you enjoy it, then think if it's worth to spend those $5 into "that".

Dreams-Visions said:
damn, that bad?
Well, if you want a game with bad graphics, bad gameplay, bad music, and have no respect for the original game, maybe it's worth it... For $2. For $5, stay away.

Shit, the game has 3D gameplay and they didn't even change the bosses' attacks to take that in consideration.

The Spoony Hou said:
Well, if you want a game with bad graphics, bad gameplay, bad music, and have no respect for the original game, maybe it's worth it... For $2. For $5, stay away.

Shit, the game has 3D gameplay and they didn't even change the bosses' attacks to take that in consideration.
understood. I'll play my SNES version and die untainted.

I was thinking about buying this because a. I sunk a ridiculous amount of time into the original and was a game by brother and I always rented on weekends and b. because a friend and I have had a running joke about buying it for over a year now, but neither of us ever do because of the terrible press it got.

However, when I try to buy it, the price still comes up as 800 points. Even if I go as far as confirming the download, it still tells me I don't have enough points to get it(in that I have over 400 and less than 800; not that it won't let me buy at all). Is anyone else having this problem? Perhaps the pure Turtle Love wave that surrounds the universe is trying to steer me away from it.

goldenpp72

Sega1991 said:
The arcade version of Turtles in Time was AN ARCADE GAME, which means deliberately difficult in order to cheat you out of your money. All arcade games from that era have them; that moment where the game says "Okay, you've had $0.50 worth of fun, if you want to see the credits, that'll be $30 in quarters."

And even if you have the money for it, it stops being fun because it's just relentlessly difficult. Too many enemies on screen that do too much damage. They flank and surround you with attacks that take priority over yours and before you know it, that itty bitty health bar of yours is gone. Better hope you have more tokens - Konami sure does.

The SNES version was less a trick to steal your allowance and more a real, actual videogame. Sure, it was only two player, but its game mechanics were far more consistent, the music was much higher quality, and despite your complaints about the Technodrome level, fighting Shredder from a view in his own cockpit while you threw enemies at him was a great spectacle.

It also made more sense in the structure of whatever thin premise of plot the game had that Shredder and Krang would lure the turtles to the Technodrome and then throw them in to a time portal, instead of just appearing out of nowhere in the middle of an unrelated level and going "TIME WARP!"

The SNES version was better, sorry.

Turtles in Time Re-Shelled was a bad "upgrade" of the wrong version of the game. If they had just patched 4 player support in to the SNES version, that would've been perfect.

I beat the xbla version without dying once and it didn't take me that long.. is it different than the arcade one?

I grew up on both the arcase and SNES versions and I thought the remake was decent.

This has probably already been asked, but as someone who already has it, could I still redownload ot if I needed to or is it truly wiped from the face of the earth?

goldenpp72 said:
I beat the xbla version without dying once and it didn't take me that long.. is it different than the arcade one?

It's based on the arcade version, but completely rebalanced in a different direction than the SNES version. Combat was completely reworked; in the arcade and SNES versions, you had one button for attack, one button for jump, and that was it. Pressing Attack + Jump together would do a special attack (usually some sort of sweep to make some room) that would cost you some of your health. The XBLA version reworked this in to two completely separate attack buttons, with the "Special Attack" on its own button, with no penalty for using it.

It also feels like enemies in the XBLA version have less health and maybe aren't as aggressive - though bosses seem like they have larger health bars.

I bought reshelled for 200 points last year and still haven't play it much at all, the game is poorly made and boring as fuck.

LiK

Dark Octave said:
I grew up on both the arcase and SNES versions and I thought the remake was decent.

This has probably already been asked, but as someone who already has it, could I still redownload ot if I needed to or is it truly wiped from the face of the earth?

yup, you can red/l games that have been taken off the marketplace.

Rezbit

I played this game for at least an hour with my friends. It was okay. Kinda shitty that games can just come and go via digital distribution however.

Lord-Audie said:

The arcade version has better graphics and sound, but it also features typical arcade-style quarter-munching cheap shots and mindless hack-n-slash.
The SNES version is more technique-based, so I'll take that most any day, unless I'm at an arcade with 3 friends. One's not better than the other; it's just a question of what kind of gameplay you prefer.

fernoca

Wario64 said:
Shows the demo only.
Downloaded the demo and it worked, but when you try to download/buy the full game [in-game] (which is appears as "free") you get an error.

I do wonder, was Re-shelled in fact removed from PSN?
Because Joystiq based his information, on what a reader told them he saw on a banner on PSN. And Destructoid's source of "confirmation" was...Joystiq's article. Then again, Ubisoft apparently confirmed it to Joystiq.

So just wondering if it's an actual mistake on Microsoft's part (by removing the 1989 game) or a mistake in reporting the news. Than again, it would've been corrected though all this days. Since Microsoft put Re-shelled on sale the same week it was scheduled to be removed; probably to get a couple of sales out.

Also kind of weird, how a "remake" has problems with licenses-expiring, yet the 1989-port which probably had an even more difficult license to acquire (since the original was made by Konami); wasn't affected.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Chiaroscuro said:
Only the demo of the original arcade release is showing for me, the full game is gone. And Re-Shelled is still there.

I wasn't sure if it was gone because I had the game bought. So, who's to blame here? That's funny if Konami mixed it up.

Top Bottom