• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TMZ: Carrie Fisher suffers cardiac arrest on plane (Up: in ICU, condition unknown)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jb1234

I go post in other topics to try to take edge off but I've literally been here on GAF like all afternoon, evening, and night because of this. It isn't healthy and I should go lay down. But fuck. I keep refreshing. I hope she makes it.

Go to bed, man. We probably won't hear anything more tonight.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Go to bed, man. We probably won't hear anything more tonight.

Alright.

Posting one more time. (Which is kind of ironic. Because, like. This started getting posted when Betty told me.)

e4vGni6.gif

I go post in other topics to try to take edge off but I've literally been here on GAF like all afternoon, evening, and night because of this. It isn't healthy and I should go lay down. But fuck. I keep refreshing. I hope she makes it.
I know what you mean. I've closed this thread a handful of times. Decided I was done, and I'll wait until tomorrow to hope for good news. Then 5 minutes later I'm back in here clicking refresh.

That's good to hear. She posted so many photos of him on her twitter, and he was in so many of her portraits and even on the red carpet with her. Hopefully his presence will help her.

:( it's okay man, you don't have to explain yourself any further. I know how you feel. All we can do is hope for the best <3

All the best to you both. I recently had a family member going through a rough time, and I think it was on a whim after The Force Awakens came out that I ended up reading her earlier books. They were a huge comfort, and her perspective was invaluable. Her honesty and her humor was such a reassurance (I was pretty shocked and terrified at the time!), and I could not be more grateful for her books.

How big of an abuser was she? I bring up Eddy Guerrero with his addictions having caught up with him, despite cleaning up. Karen Carpenter also died despite having recovered from her eating disorder. Carrie was a heavy drinker too, if I recall correctly. She seemed to have stayed clean over the past half decade.

Presumably she had some history with it, how much I don't know nor do I need to know. It is besides the point. Your statistical chances are based on cumulative use and the cards you started with (even though we don't know those directly), where every amount of abuse counts towards decreasing your odds on the longest possible life (and in best health) you could have.
However, since 'abuse' is typically a problematic level of (over)consumption, those periods have far more impact than regular usage, since there is irreversible damage being done during those periods, and that damage may lead to or somehow trigger earlier mortality. We don't know how that actually works, but the statistics are obvious: the more substances you use, the likelier you are to die sooner than someone who doesn't (which would be log odds when phrased like this). Whether or not you do, is a matter of luck. But that mostly means avoiding critical escalations, like attacks.

A person's best chance at maximum lifespan is just not using substances at all. Whether that is a fulfilling life, is a personal and cultural question.
I apologize if this is inappropriate for this thread though.

All the best to you both. I recently had a family member going through a rough time, and I think it was on a whim after The Force Awakens came out that I ended up reading her earlier books. They were a huge comfort, and her perspective was invaluable. Her honesty and her humor was such a reassurance (I was pretty shocked and terrified at the time!), and I could not be more grateful for her books.
They really are great. I remember time melted away as I was reading :)

Go_Ly_Dow

People have mentioned her drug history, but she was also quite a heavy smoker I recall.

I hope you make it Carrie! :( stay with us!!

DeathyBoy

Banned
How big of an abuser was she? I bring up Eddy Guerrero with his addictions having caught up with him, despite cleaning up. Karen Carpenter also died despite having recovered from her eating disorder. Carrie was a heavy drinker too, if I recall correctly. She seemed to have stayed clean over the past half decade.

Guerrero is different because while he "cleaned up" the dude STILL abused steroids. He was bigger than ever when he died. His body just couldn't take the strain of all that shit plus the schedule.

liquidtmd

Banned
I get that people want to hold on to magical beliefs and wish for the best possible world to happen, but unfortunately that's not how life works. And personally, I believe that such expectations do more harm to a person than they would do good. If she recovers to some degree, that would be truly marvelous. I'll spare you the realistic version. But it would be equally unreasonable, in my opinion, to sustain a delusional belief that there is some 'magical healing' available. We'll see what happens, but mostly she is playing for more time right now. I do hope she gets that.

You sound like a smart guy but kind of condescending at this point.

Couple this in with a media that's chomping at the bit to play semantic tennis around the 'welllll she was a druggie, did THAT play a part?' article clickbait that are being separated from the lead articles about her health - what a treat.

Yes there are realities in life but ones sometimes I like to think there's a time and a place for showing respectable restraint. Of course it's subjective and people are free to discuss what they wish, when they wish. I just know that it's not naieve to want to comment and wish Carrie in this godforsaken situation the best, with a 'she could still well be fine' and leave it at that, with it not necessary for someone to chirp it 'Well guys, that's not how life works'

Tubie

It's no use guessing like this, healthy people can go through this (and while very young too).

I remember the same loons around Ledger's death kicking up the 'oh god, did he finish filming Batman'? line within an hour of the news breaking.
Welcome to the beautiful world of consumerism. Where a human life is only worth as much as it contributes to your consumption.

Enough cynicism though. I hope the old gal pulls through. Best wishes to Carrie.

From London to the US? Damn, she was lucky they were so close. I wonder what happens if they were still over the seas? Or closer to the UK than the US, would they turn back?

Dryk

Welcome to the beautiful world of consumerism. Where a human life is only worth as much as it contributes to your consumption.

Enough cynicism though. I hope the old gal pulls through. Best wishes to Carrie.
I would say that more accurately welcome to the human mind. Where a human life is only worth as much as it impacts your own.

tci

Don't get your hopes up, the chances she recovers in any way were she could recover without any brain damage is literally 0%. :(
That depends on if CPR and such was done to keep organs with oxygen during that time. There are several incidents like this were the patient recovered 100% because of this.

Don't get your hopes up, the chances she recovers in any way were she could recover without any brain damage is literally 0%. :(

If her brain was deprived of oxygen for 6+ minutes yes but it sounds like she was given CPR in that time so I don't think anyone can say with certainty what her condition would be like. It is too early to speculate about that though, her making it through the next few days is the most important thing.

ESBL

I'm assuming she's on hypothermia protocols, still pulling for her, don't airplanes have AEDs on them? Or an ACLS kit?

DBT85

Fabrice Muamba's heart was stopped for 78 minutes, he's fine.

Don't say things like "literally 0%" when we clearly don't have all the facts.

Some of her facial expressions always reminded o me a ton of my mother who has passed away for quite a while now. I had watched these movies for the first time just a few years before her death so this def brings in a lot of feels for me. Especially since I have been a huge SW fan since.

Joni

I am really wishing this won't be another Michael Schumacher scenario, please don't be that.
It is completely different what happened though. Schumacher hit his head at almost lethal way, while Fisher suffered an heart attack in an environment where she had immediate medical attention. She should have a way better chance compared to for instance this happening when she is home alone.

I once carded Carrie Fisher as a cashier during Xmas holiday rush at the now defunct UCLA Best Buy back in 2002. She seemed slightly annoyed that I didn't recognize her but was gracious in producing her driver's license for her credit card purchase. I tried desperately to hide my panic after realizing that I just carded Princess Leia, but don't know if I succeeded.

Hope she pulls through.

I once carded Carrie Fisher as a cashier during Xmas holiday rush at the now defunct UCLA Best Buy back in 2002. She seemed slightly annoyed that I didn't recognize her but was gracious in producing her driver's license for her credit card purchase. I tried desperately to hide my panic after realizing that I just carded Princess Leia, but don't know if I succeeded.

Hope she pulls through.

That's interesting, no one else noticed her either? I have a feeling her looks were probably quite different than what people expected at times. Especially with her being away from a lot of big movies. Still pretty cool that you got to see her and you just did your job so I think that's fine. Did you have other stars or people around there ever? It's always good to see the good in things imo :)

That's interesting, no one else noticed her either? I have a feeling her looks were probably quite different than what people expected at times. Especially with her being away from a lot of big movies. Still pretty cool that you got to see her and you just did your job so I think that's fine. Did you have other stars or people around there ever? It's always good to see the good in things imo :)

I'm sure others noticed. I wasn't paying attention.

I also met Steve Wozniac and Ridley Scott at that Best Buy. Soon as I saw Ridley (who was with his hawt daughter, buying her a PDA for school IIRC), I ran over to the DVD section, grabbed a director's cut Blade Runner, unwrapped it, and got him to sign it for me, then paid for the DVD afterwards. LOLZ

Roufianos

Ok. But the main issue I would point out again is that there obviously isn't going to be a ready answer for this. We have no idea what her prognosis is right now, and her health is the current concern. While at some point we all understand that the show must go on, the time to face that reality is not now. "What does this mean for Episode IX?" is not the most pressing question right now. Unless you know someone high up at Disney, you're not going to have the inside scoop on what the resolution is for the death of an actor.

Are you saying that people are not allowed to speculate on this site unless they have insider knowledge?

I believe the top should be dropped however, simply out of respect for Carrie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom