• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TMZ: Carrie Fisher suffers cardiac arrest on plane (Up: in ICU, condition unknown)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Just woke up. Had to go to bed just as the story first broke.

I'm just so happy she's still alive, honestly. It sounded for sure like she was a goner.

Back at home for Christmas, reading my parents' Daily Mail. They've decided to illustrate this story with a big picture of Slave Leia. Classy.

A man I know suffered a heart-attack and his heart-rate was flat for seven minutes. His wife was a nurse, so she knew CPR and saved his life ( she kept pumping his heart until the ambulance arrived ). He made it, but got minor brain-damage and is in recovery. He is expected to make a good recovery, but it takes time.

I'm assuming she's on hypothermia protocols, still pulling for her, don't airplanes have AEDs on them? Or an ACLS kit?

Most likely she is. I'm sure they have AEDs but doubt they have ACLS kits unless they had a trained staff to use them. Regardless, the AED may or may not have been necessary. We have no idea of the specifics.

tensuke

It is completely different what happened though. Schumacher hit his head at almost lethal way, while Fisher suffered an heart attack in an environment where she had immediate medical attention. She should have a way better chance compared to for instance this happening when she is home alone.

I mean she was a on a plane...Sure she had immediate medical attention but depending on the severity of her case it probably wasn't much. I'm hopeful but not optimistic.

New page.

e4vGni6.gif

zethren

Banned
No news is good news, I feel like...

...was worried I would wake up to a terrible headline this morning. Please pull through...

Ambient80

No news is good news, I feel like...

...was worried I would wake up to a terrible headline this morning. Please pull through...

Unless she dies, we won't hear much for a few days or longer, most likely. If it was truly a heart attack, she's not out of danger at all. The few days after an MI are critical because of potential sequelae that may follow. All we can do is hope for the best! I'm sure a medical center like UCLA has some incredible medical pros working with her, so that's always great news.

anaron

Very happy to hear the hospital is allowing Gary (her service dog) to be by her side in the ICU, that dog is a huge life support for her, and if she has any consciousness right now, having Gary by her side will strengthen her.
I'm so happy and simultaneously heartbroken that Gary is with her. I kept thinking about him too during this. :(

Omg!! I'm glad she is okay! Ugh this is so rough especially since I just started watching the star wars movies and praising her for her slay looks in each movie...her dying would be so devastating 😥 glad she's stable now.

dafodeu

Isn't this similar to what happened to Jerry Lawler during WWE Raw? His heart stopped for 10 minutes but he got cpr the whole time and made a full recovery. So I am hoping this happens here.

He was on a wrestling podcast either Steve Austin or Jerichos talking about it recently he said he had cardiac arrest which is the heart stopping completely. He said his theory was that it was caused by the electrical impulses getting messed up from Dolph Zigglers 10 elbow drops he did in a row. That it pumped his chest and got the signals out of wack. The good news was that once the heart was restarted things were fine and he had no permanent damage unlike a heart attack where blood is cut off from certain parts of the heart and their is permanent damage. So really hoping this is the case and she will make a full recovery no damage.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I really hope she pulls through. This would be a truly sad loss. Come on Carrie ><

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Just wanted to say I'm still thinking about ya constantly, Carrie, and I know you, uh, are in the ICU and don't exactly browse NeoGAF anyway, but damn it, bear with me. Or don't. Either way, be strong, as you've always been. Thanks for everything, and... I guess if ever there were a time for clichés, this would be it, so... may the Force be with you, ma'am.

Jezbollah

Actually it was reportedly longer than that. Apparently the time range is somewhere between fifteen minutes to half an hour. The phrasing in yesterday's reports was unclear.

Fabrice Muamba (a English Premiership player) had a cardiac arrest on the pitch during a game. He made a healthy recovery after his heart stopped beating for 78 minutes.

Obviously Fisher is not an athlete, but there is a precedence of the heart not functioning and prolonged CPR helping in recovering someone from such a medical situation.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Fabrice Muamba (a English Premiership player) had a cardiac arrest on the pitch during a game. He made a healthy recovery after his heart stopped beating for 78 minutes.

Obviously Fisher is not an athlete, but there is a precedence of the heart not functioning and prolonged CPR helping in recovering someone from such a medical situation.

It's certainly not impossible that she recovers. I was at the game where Muamba collapsed and every single person in the stadium thought he wasn't going to make it, but he did.

First she needs to make it through the next 48 hours and then I'm sure we will have a more clear picture of her prognosis.

theBmZ

I watch WWE every week. I remember the Jerry Lawler incident vividly. Carrie's situation sounds like what Jerry went through. He made a full recovery. I know Carrie Fisher is tough as hell. That gives me hope.

Beefy

I watch WWE every week. I remember the Jerry Lawler incident vividly. Carrie's situation sounds like what Jerry went through. He made a full recovery. I know Carrie Fisher is tough as hell. That gives me hope.

Wasn't Lawler a heart attack and not a cardiac arrest?

Sheroking

Wasn't Lawler a heart attack and not a cardiac arrest?

It was initially reported as a heart attack, but later put down to "unexplained cardiac arrest". He was gone for like 20 minutes and the medical staff performed CPR on him for the entire time. He had a successful angioplasty the next day and was only taken off the ventilator two days later.

He made a full recovery and has even wrestled since.

Lawler had the benefit of immediate medical attention by medical staff and equipment on site.

SpeedWeed

Neo Member
Please get well Carrie.

I'd be devastated if she left us. As a huge SW fan I always see the original cast as immortals and any loss there will hit me pretty hard.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I'm sure others noticed. I wasn't paying attention.

I also met Steve Wozniac and Ridley Scott at that Best Buy. Soon as I saw Ridley (who was with his hawt daughter, buying her a PDA for school IIRC), I ran over to the DVD section, grabbed a director's cut Blade Runner, unwrapped it, and got him to sign it for me, then paid for the DVD afterwards. LOLZ

Hahaha, awesome story :)

As the day has gone on the lack of any news is becoming more and more concerning.

I hope it isn't to try to wait until after the holiday to update us with what we fear.

Hang in there our princess. All our prayers are with you and your family.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
As the day has gone on the lack of any news is becoming more and more concerning.

I hope it isn't to try to wait until after the holiday to update us with what we fear.

Hang in there our princess. All our prayers are with you and your family.

Yeah, I really don't know what to think about no news for such a long time.

Betty

Banned
Watching the 8 out of 10 cats quiz show featuring Carrie Fisher's last appearance before the incident, she's really funny and get's treated like royalty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom