• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TN House of Rep. could expel member today over sexual harassment, Rep. goes nuclear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay I'm pretty sure this got some attention on GAF previously but it's in the news again. Enough evidence was gathered that Rep. Jeremy Durham (R-Franklin) committed sexual harassment that the House will try to expel him during a special legislative session today.

Note that the session wasn't called to oust him, but to change a new underage drinking law that cost the state federal money. Experts say this is fine however.

Original story with live feed.

Embattled Rep. Jeremy Durham is in the the Tennessee House of Representatives Tuesday morning as his colleagues are expected to expel him from the body during what could be a contentious legislative session. If expelled, it would be the the first time a lawmaker has been ousted by the body since 1980.

Durham declined to comment when approached by The Tennessean. Before the start of the session, Durham sat at his desk reviewing documents. He will be allowed to speak during the session.

The vote to oust Durham, R-Franklin, comes months after a Tennessean investigation into inappropriate late-night text messages from the lawmaker prompted a Tennessee attorney general investigation and calls for his resignation.

The attorney general found 22 women who said Durham had acted sexually inappropriate with them, referred to in the report as Jane Does. The report includes an array of allegations, from lewd comments and inappropriate hugs to giving beer to and having sex with a 20-year-old "college student/political worker" in his legislative office and home.

Here's the thing: Durham's threatened to name all 22 Jane Does in his defense, something almost everyone agrees is insane, immoral, and possibly illegal.

Embattled Rep. Jeremy Durham sent an eight-page letter to his House colleagues Monday in which he defends himself, attacks the women who alleged sexual misconduct and blasts House leadership for its handling of the investigation.

In the letter obtained by The Tennessean, Durham threatens to release a document that would name the 22 women who accused him of inappropriate sexual conduct and show text messages that he says could prove his innocence.

"Due to the way this situation has been handled, my family finds itself in the position of wanting to largely clear my name by releasing names and text messages of many Jane Does while also wanting to not make the situation a bigger circus than it has already become," Durham writes in the letter.

"I've prepared a document responding to each and every Jane Doe — with names — and with text messages stored on a cloud. But that process should be handled according to House rules — not in a public expulsion proceeding."

Link to letter.

These guys are covering the session for more news. The session is supposed to resume on the floor soon.

Some Republicans are raising a stink that Durham wasn't given due process (he refused to speak to the investigators or AG) and are trying to support him. There's doubt that there are enough votes to remove him now.

If a bunch of people blue light (don't vote) that is essentially a no vote; they need to have 66 yes (green lights) to kick him out

Rep. William Lamberth said he planned to make a motion on the floor that would allow Durham's microphone to be cut off if he tried to name any of the women noted in the report.

Her voice breaking, House Speaker Beth Harwell asked the GOP caucus to support the motion in order to try and protect the women from the attorney general's report.

"Don't do this to these women. Don't you dare," Harwell said.

EDIT:

Here's the House's video. Hopefully the livestream will also be shared because it had some great shots (ie Durham defending himself while the two men in the background barely contain themselves).

Starts around 33 minutes in. Durham makes his defense at 35 minutes. Lamberth ethers him at 49 minutes. Stewart's ethering starts at 61 minutes. The vote's at 1:52.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
What a fucking absolute scum bag, and that was before he tried to threaten to name all these women.

Now he said he wanted to speak with the AG, but the AG never met his requirements.

Guy doesn't sound like he knows how an investigation works.

EDIT: okay this is good. He brought up statute of limitations about the allegations.

EDIT EDIT: Oh shit, Lamberth is giving Durham due process. Asking him about the allegations. Just went hot and mean.

I'm gonna be seeing those two guys in the background laughing at how stupid Durham is on all the weekly comedy news shows aren't I?

"I don't know all the details of the report"
"... I can hand you the report"

studyguy

"I can hand you the report."

response:
5aa5d6321cf7e5c16bef7f4ae6644980.jpg

studyguy

This sounds like a nice deflection for Duham tbh, must be nice to have that kind of backing while being a fucking creep.

Wilsongt

Ah yes. The transgender bathroom bill guy... Who was then found to be a danger to women in the state capitol building so they literally kicked him out.

Fuck him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom