• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

To all PS3 owners. i have a quesion

llTll

Banned
I asked this in the playstation 3 thread but i couldnt get a reply

So usually how long does it take most system fans to kick it up a notch and become louder? Mine runs really quiet for about 15 minutes, then the fan kicks in overdrive and stays that way until the system is powered down. It's not quite as loud as the 360 fan ofcourse but if you are 1 meter away from it and the TV is in Mute Mode, then you can hear it [ also. its not as loud as when you turn the PS3 on [ when you turn it on, the PS3 fan goes into high speed then stops ]

Also, after about 15 minutes of play, I've noticed that the system gets warm. Is this about what everyone else experiences? I suppose the fans changing speeds and becoming louder would be normal for all systems so they can stay cool when they've been on for extended periods of time but I don't know for sure. It does seem odd that after only 15 minutes, the system has warmed so much that the fan would already have to go into a higher gear to try to keep i cool and from overheating? Just wondering if this fan noise and speed change is common among all systems.

Dante

llTll said:

So usually how long does it take most system fans to kick it up a notch and become louder? Mine runs really quiet for about 15 minutes, then the fan kicks in overdrive and stays that way until the system is powered down. It's not quite as loud as the 360 fan ofcourse but if you are 1 meter away from it and the TV is in Mute Mode, then you can hear it [ also. its not as loud as when you turn the PS3 on [ when you turn it on, the PS3 fan goes into high speed then stops ]

Also, after about 15 minutes of play, I've noticed that the system gets warm. Is this about what everyone else experiences? I suppose the fans changing speeds and becoming louder would be normal for all systems so they can stay cool when they've been on for extended periods of time but I don't know for sure. It does seem odd that after only 15 minutes, the system has warmed so much that the fan would already have to go into a higher gear to try to keep i cool and from overheating? Just wondering if this fan noise and speed change is common among all systems.

I've never heard a peep out of mine, so fan noise at all really. :)

Idioteque

My PS3 also gets really hot.

This worried me the first time I noticed it, but it's not really a big deal because everyone's is like that, and I keep it in an open area.

Yama

The fan is quiet as can be, the console however heats my entire room up. $600 for the console is a bargain compared to my heating bill, already saving me money. :lol

garrickk

I had my PS3 sideways and the right side/top vent was fairly close to my shelf side. After 15-30 minutes of Resistance, the heat would build up and the fan would kick into high. However, if I exited the game for a while, it would cool and then slow back down again.

I then made more space below the device and turned it vertical so the heat could vent upwards with about 6 inches of clearance over it. It's never spun up fast again, even after 4 hours Resistance sessions.

fse

Mine took about 15-20 minutes to go to speed 3 I think. 4 when gaming.
Seems normal I suppose.

llTll

Banned
f_elz said:
Mine took about 15-20 minutes to go to speed 3 I think. 4 when gaming.
Seems normal I suppose.

there is no speed 4

its only 3 speeds [ u can hear the loudest /highest speed when u turn the system on ]

first speed is off [ the fan is not working and that happen when u turn the system on ]
second speed is low [ it happen to me after 10 mins system is on [ always happen ]
Speed 3 when the system gets really hot as its in bad place or something [ i dont think it ever happened to me. unless i stopped telling the difference between speed 3 and speed 2 [ but i still think i can because when u turn the system on, u can hear the speed 3 ]

but can you hear the fan if the console is like 1 meter away from you or something?

bigswords

llTll said:

You bought the PS3 again (though u sold it off)? Anyways is your console inside a home entertainment enclosed box etc.... Is the machine in an open space? What's your ambient room temp?

garrickk

||T||, I tried to respond to your PM but you box is full.

My PS3 almost always seems to be at the lowest fan speed (speed 2?) which is basically inaudible to me from distance. I never really noticed the fan to be completely off, but I'm usually 4-6 feet from it.

I really believe giving the top/right side plenty of room to breath helps a great deal. Perhaps having in vertical help (heat rises), but I would imagine that even a weak fan would greatly dwarf any convection current gain from a vertical orientation.

gohepcat

Banned
only 15 minutes? I'm surprised it takes that long. Running on all cylinders (playing a game) it should heat up very quickly, and the fan speed should increase too.

My 360's fan screams after playing a game for a while. I don't usually notice, but when I go back to the dashboard i can really tell. Then, as the system cools down (doesn't need to run 3 cores at 3.2Ghz for just the dashboard) it slows down after a few minutes.

It's totally normal I would think.

The PS3 sucks something like 210 Watts. You shoud be able to use it as a friggin space heater.

llTll

Banned
bigswords said:
You bought the PS3 again (though u sold it off)? Anyways is your console inside a home entertainment enclosed box etc.... Is the machine in an open space? What's your ambient room temp?

uh no. i was thinking of selling it. i just didnt

and yeah the machine is open space. it plays fine i mean, yusterday i spent 4 hours in resistence. it didnt give me and weird green/blue flashes or anything. but its yusterday was the first time i heared the fan kicking in because the TV was on mute. and it kinda bugged now. now i am all paranoid i cant hear anything but the fan :lol

garrickk said:
||T||, I tried to respond to your PM but you box is full.

My PS3 almost always seems to be at the lowest fan speed (speed 2?) which is basically inaudible to me from distance. I never really noticed the fan to be completely off, but I'm usually 4-6 feet from it.

I really believe giving the top/right side plenty of room to breath helps a great deal. Perhaps having in vertical help (heat rises), but I would imagine that even a weak fan would greatly dwarf any convection current gain from a vertical orientation.

ops sorry. i cleaned it. please try again.

Treo360

When my wife was doing her dusting, she put the ps3 on the on the vertical, problem was that she put it on the side where the exhaust would blow out of. Long story short my ps3 didn't like it, and within 5 minutes the fans kicked into overdrive. Good thing I knew that was a bit strange (10-15 minutes is where I really start to hear it) as I promptly shut it down and discovered her folly.

Cloud

No noise here either. Is your room a little dusty? Dust gathering on the fans sometimes creates the noise problem.

llTll

Banned
kikonawa said:
i almost never hear my fans. i have a 20gb PS3 and made in japan. maybe thats why

Cloud said:
No noise here either. Is your room a little dusty? Dust gathering on the fans sometimes creates the noise problem.

i just went to a local store and the retailer unit is the same thing as mine.

how do u people say no noise? if ur TV is mute and you are like only 1 meter far from it. you should hear it

Goldrusher

My PS3 is about the same as yours...it also makes cracking noises when warming up. Probably the plastic adjusting to the heat. :lol

tanod

when is my burrito
The only loud noise I've heard coming from my PS3 is when I was first ripping my CD collection onto it. When I was on my 5th or 6th disc in a row, either the fan kicked up or the BD-drive got louder.
Other than that, I've never heard a peep out of it except for some clicks (fron HD) and beeps.
Mine is horizontal and in an entertainment center. No doors or back so there is good air movement around the system.

Kobiekun

During gameplay (PS2 and PS3 games) I usually don't hear a peep out of my PS3 — I sit somewhere between 6 and 8 feet away from it.

SleazyC

Goldrusher said:
My PS3 is about the same as yours...it also makes cracking noises when warming up. Probably the plastic adjusting to the heat. :lol
My fans aren't that noisy (at least it doesn't seem so to me) but I do hear the cracking noises. Scared me the first time I heard them as I thought my PS3 was breaking.

the PS3 is the quiettest disk console I own.
then I booted up my Dreamcast last week to play some 2nd Impact, DC noises LOL, i forgot how loud the DC can get when it searches

Yama

gutter_trash said:
the PS3 is the quiettest disk console I own.
then I booted up my Dreamcast last week to play some 2nd Impact, DC noises LOL, i forgot how loud the DC can get when it searches
I was playing a DC game with someone over the PSN chat, so I had both on. It was hilarious how the DC noises towered over the PS3. Actually, I had to turn up my TV a notch. Lovely LaunchCast. :)

My PS3 is like 15 feet from me in my family room, like my 360 and wii. I've never heard a thing out of any of them. I guess since I'm not sitting on top of them.

Hell I never knew the thing had different fan speeds.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
I haven't noticed my PS3 fan at all.

But then I didn't find the 360 to be all that noisy either. I may be lucky, or I may be deaf.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I've noticed that my PS3 goes into a 'loud' mode (not really that loud) after maybe an hour or so, depending on what I do with it. I'm not sure if what I'm referring to is 2nd or 3rd fan speed, but it's definitely audible if the TV is muted. It's also pretty warm in my apartment and there's table lamp right next to PS3, but I don't think the lamp is really heating it up.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Not sure I had mine on for more than 15 minutes at a time. :lol

It IS in a wide open space though, so that might make a difference too. Very quiet. Much quieter than the X360, which is also in a wide open space.

Top Bottom