• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

To put PS5 5.5GB/s SSD in prospective PS4 only had 5.5GB of RAM available for games

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
As someone who was bitching, and highly concerned about the insane amount of space modern games are taking up, and wherever we would be headed next-gen, this is pretty fantastic news.

If things are really being duplicated hundreds of times, couldn’t we expect a pretty substantial storage savings, at the very least? I guess it depends on how detailed next-gen assets are, but still.

This is not up for debate. It's just literally true. in some cases, some assets are duplicated literally thousands of times.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I wasn't trying to sound mad or anything. I just wanted to emphasize how true it was. But in this age of console warring, I can see how you took it the wrong way.

NP. Just a lot of people rn that spin the most banal statement into some kind of console war, or a ‘gotcha’. It can be really irritating.

Do you think we can expect that giant data savings? Even with ultra-detailed next-gen assets and textures?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
NP. Just a lot of people rn that spin the most banal statement into some kind of console war, or a ‘gotcha’. It can be really irritating.

Do you think we can expect that giant data savings? Even with ultra-detailed next-gen assets and textures?

I think with the giant data savings, combined with ultra-detailed and next-gen assets and textures; it'll neutralize each other or bring game sizes down by a 10 to 20% (number out my butt). I expect the next ND game to be sold on one Blu-ray disc.

But, I think Sony said the PS5 will have 100 GB Blu-ray if I'm not mistaken, so maybe this will allow devs to put more languages on each game sold and that'll bring up the game sizes past 50 GBs. But that's still great if you consider 4K game textures and assets.

Top Bottom