• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Today is the one year anniversary of the SMT4 EU announcement

How do you feel about this?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Zornica

Banned
If SMT4 has to be sacrificed for the greater good, so be it.

But in all honesty, I don't really care and I also believe it's going to be released this year, so neutral it is.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Infamously, they dubbed the first Metal Gear Solid, to some success, so all the Hayter-Sutherland debate is completely incomprehensible for the italian gaming audience. Things are slowly changing, but Italians expect any entertainement product to be dubbed in their own language.

Yeah, no.
First, even at the time the consensus was for the Italian dub to be universally despised, but even then each and every MGS game released after MGS VRM wasn't dubbed at all but only featured subtitles. Incidentally, that made the premium price asked by the Italian publisher -Halifax (dubbed "Ladrifax" in jest, think Namco/Scamco) even more infuriating for the consumers... on top of that, those poor chaps not fluent in english couldn't even import the vastly cheaper UK sku 'cause that one was missing the localized subs: basically, back in the PS2-era Halifax was the sole importer of Konami games and those fuckers made sure to bank on the MGS and PES names, putting 10 to 20 (!) € on top of the usual asking price of console games, and their publishing deal demanded that Konami always released the UK skus of their games with no italian anything, be it a dub, subtitles, manual... you name it.

I also don't see why would you be surprised that BioInfinite was dubbed in Italian, I mean most AAA games not called GTAV get one, and 99% of the times that doesn't happen is when a game's going to be released as it is +subtitles in every region.

I mean, freakin' Titanfall is dubbed in italian, lol

The EU SMT4 announcement was what held me back from importing a US 3DS. Think I may go ahead now and import considering my DS was primarily used for JPRGs.

Just about to finish Soul Hackers so I could do with another portable SMT. This is the first time NoE has ever messed up. It's probably redemption for getting The Last Story/Xenoblade first.
Don't do this to yourself...

You've forgotten how shit the beginning of the Wiis life was for Europe (no excite truck, trauma centre or elebits at launch, that 6 month delay on Super Paper Mario and similar lengths on Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn and Super Smash Bros Brawl) that the end of the systems life already did a lot of redemption.

edit: Wait "This is the first time NoE has ever messed up". Did not realise this was a joke post. Nintendo of Europe was a constant mess up. Remember the years of no Animal Crossing (NOE decided Doshin the Giant was going to be bigger), how about the announcement and pushing back of Wario Ware Twisted for a few years (only for it to never come, at least SMTIV is spared those lies). There was also that time when Metroid Prime Pinball had a release date, reviews appeared and erm the game was delayed for a whole year (which the original date was already months after America). That is only a few of their mess ups. It can be said that NOA started to mess up more and the € being better changed NCL focus which is why NOE look better as of recent.

tekrapid

Neo Member
Still can't believe nobody has said anything regarding this for a WHOLE year. Hell, even if it's cancelled and never coming out you'd think they'd have the decency to just let the fans know.

nbthedude

So you played for four hours and you played for 10 hours?

You should at least get your playtime straight if you´re trying to tell the EU guys that "they´re lucky".

I played it about 4 months ago and honestly I'm not totally sure how long I played. I played it for a few hours a day regularly for over a week, though. I know that much. I remember making it to the Medusa boss but I don't quite remember whether or not I beat her.

I certainly don't think this is a game for new comers to the series at the very least. The production values are decent (except the out of place looking boss drawings). But the story is pretty flat at least up till where I played and the bosses seem pretty unfair and hard out of nowhere compared to everything leading up to them.

To me it's a huge difference from Persona 4: Golden. These are the first two games I've ever played in the SMT series and the difference between P4 and SMT 4 is like night and day for me. I'm now 30 hours into P4G and have loved every second of it whereas I pretty much made myself play however many hours of SMT4 I played and never found it interesting and found a lot to be tedious and unwelcoming. The only problem I have with P4G (and this isn't really a problem) is that it throws too many cool options at you and you can't do them all. In SMT 4 I didn't find much to do but grind and dungeon crawl.

nbthedude

2536312-2379004-jeff_headshake.gif

What are you even doing shitting up the thread with this insult. I think I saw you posting about persona 3. You really want to argue what a "game" really is?

His use of the word "game" is silly but there is an irony if your using a Gerstman gif as a response since I'm pretty sure Gerstman thinks this game is crap too. Not that that means anything substantial, though, cause he hates Dark Souls for god's sake...

LayLa

I played it about 4 months ago and honestly I'm not totally sure how long I played. I played it for a few hours a day regularly for over a week, though. I know that much. I remember making it to the Medusa boss but I don't quite remember whether or not I beat her.

I've been playing this game and the Medusa boss was about 4-5 hours in, so I'd say your initial estimate of 4 hours is more likely. The game opens up a lot more after that initial dungeon btw.

Jb

His use of the word "game" is silly but there is an irony if your using a Gerstman gif as a response since I'm pretty sure Gerstman thinks this game is crap too.

Not sure where you're getting that from, he didn't even touch it iirc.

Zornica

Banned
Don't do this to yourself...

You've forgotten how shit the beginning of the Wiis life was for Europe (no excite truck, trauma centre or elebits at launch, that 6 month delay on Super Paper Mario and similar lengths on Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn and Super Smash Bros Brawl) that the end of the systems life already did a lot of redemption.

edit: Wait "This is the first time NoE has ever messed up". Did not realise this was a joke post. Nintendo of Europe was a constant mess up. Remember the years of no Animal Crossing (NOE decided Doshin the Giant was going to be bigger), how about the announcement and pushing back of Wario Ware Twisted for a few years (only for it to never come, at least SMTIV is spared those lies). There was also that time when Metroid Prime Pinball had a release date, reviews appeared and erm the game was delayed for a whole year (which the original date was already months after America). That is only a few of their mess ups. It can be said that NOA started to mess up more and the € being better changed NCL focus which is why NOE look better as of recent.

Elebits and trauma center aren't even 1st party - they are Atlus and Konami. we had to wait for Brawl, so what?, instead we got Mario Kart sooner. Without even mentioning the rainfall games (we got them like 1 year earlier...), the visual novels like Another Code R and Cape West or smaller titles like jam with the band never made it to the US.
The only thing the EU is missing is 3rd party stuff, mostly from Atlus, because after what happened with the ds and the piracy surrounding it, can you blame them?

I think there is no denying that NoE has been awesome for the last few years. They brought over countless of 1st and 2nd party games that never made it to the US. And even to this day, they are releasing some 3ds games faster than NoA - even with 5 language localisation included (bravely default, the Laytons, Layton x AA, Inazuma Eleven.. the list goes on and on)

I'm sorry, but the grudge you're holding against stuff that happened a decade ago seems ridiculous to me.

And people wanted Atlus to be bought by Nintendo. If that happened, half their games would never see the day of light in Europe.

I'm sure there's a very logical explanation for all this. Perhaps it's just taking a long time translating the game from English to English?

also

Banned
Elebits and trauma center aren't even 1st party - they are Atlus and Konami. we had to wait for Brawl, so what?, instead we got Mario Kart sooner. Without even mentioning the rainfall games (we got them like 1 year earlier...), the visual novels like Another Code R and Cape West or smaller titles like jam with the band never made it to the US.
The only thing the EU is missing is 3rd party stuff, mostly from Atlus, because after what happened with the ds and the piracy surrounding it, can you blame them?

I think there is no denying that NoE has been awesome for the last few years. They brought over countless of 1st and 2nd party games that never made it to the US. And even to this day, they are releasing some 3ds games faster than NoA - even with 5 language localisation included (bravely default, the Laytons, Layton x AA, Inazuma Eleven.. the list goes on and on)

I'm sorry, but the grudge you're holding against stuff that happened a decade ago seems ridiculous to me.

Europe didn't get Excitebots or Kirby's Dream Collection.
There's also the 50/60Hz VC problem and just recently they only released the English version of Golden Sun on GBA VC despite the game being localized in other languages as well. Wind Waker HD had a higher price tag, Club Nintendo sucks...

They improved but they still have ways to go.

LuuKyK

He also hasn't actually played the game.

cuckoo.gif

I own the game and I played it. Didn't finish it because the game bored me to death. But I played it. So I have no idea what you are talking about.

I know I shouldn't dignify your post with any kind of thoughtful response

Why not though? My opinion is as valid/important as yours or any other person merely coming into this thread and saying Chaos.
shrug.gif

Not getting the condescending tone of your post to be honest. You are not superior because you are with the majority dude, just saying.

Reknoc

Why not though? My opinion is as valid/important as yours or any other person merely coming into this thread and saying Chaos.
shrug.gif

Not getting the condescending tone of your post to be honest. You are not superior because you are with the majority dude, just saying.

Your opinion on the quality of the game is irrelevant to the topic. It doesn't help and it makes it look like you have some sort of weird agenda you're trying to push which is dumb and a little sad.

BlackJace

cuckoo.gif

I own the game and I played it. Didn't finish it because the game bored me to death. But I played it. So I have no idea what you are talking about.

shrug.gif

Point of the thread: Discuss the apparent failings of SMT IV being localized to EU territories.

Your post: "lol this game sucks Eurobros"

Do you not see why you add nothing to this discussion?

Lernaean

Banned

Your opinion is as valid as everyone elses, that's true, but there are those games that are bad and those that are just not for you. This is a case of the later.
Also that last 'dude' is not the majority, it's the minority that likes that kind of games, so you aren't some minority that enjoys quality or whatever but the exact opposite. Just saying.

Top Bottom