• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Todd Howard: 2 new games 'bigger than anything we've ever done', also new mobile game

Jumpman23

I bet one of those games is Metroid for Nintendo Switch. The Skyrim port is a test for the engine and the hardware. Game gets announced at E3.

Somebody wake me up when they actually make a new engine to run all this amazing stuff.

I agree they need a new engine, but every time I think about it I wonder what the point is when they keep dumbing down their games the way they do. It'll just be a prettier version of a shallower experience.

Arulan

Source

Skyrim Tamriel Worldspace: 3808 x 3008 [ 119 x 94 TES4 size cells ] = 6.9km x 5.4km = 37.6 sq km = 14.5 sq miles
Oblivion Cyrodiil Worldspace: 4288 x 4128 [ 134 x 129 TES4 size cells ] = 7.7km x 7.4km = 57 sq km = 22 sq miles
Morrowind Vvardenfell World: 2688 x 2816 [ 84 x 88 TES4 size cells ] = 4.8km x 5km = 24 sq km = 9.3 sq miles
Fallout3 Wasteland Worldspace: 6304x6400 [ 197 x 200 TES4 size cells ] = 11.3km x 11.5km = 130 sq km = 50 sq miles
Fallout New Vegas WastelandNV: 4096x4128 [ 128 x 129 TES4 size cells ] = 7.3km x 7.4km = 54 sq km = 21 sq miles

Perhaps they should look back at Morrowind and wonder why their smallest world size, when used with good environmental design, the lack of quest markers, and limited fast-travel created their best game yet. Take Gothic as an inspiration too. The first game for instance is a very small world, but its use of elevation, and good environmental design created a very memorable place. Exploration was meaningful. You would often discover new paths to areas you hadn't seen the first time. Learning the layout of the map, and the paths to and from each camp was an important part of the game. That sense of place is something Bethesda has lost sight of. Not to mention the other aspects of world-building.

Electret

Can't wait for another serving of Gamebryo dressed up as something more. The longer they use that POS, the farther their next games fall behind the competition, particularly with respect to visuals and animation. F4 was a new low relative to other games released in its time frame.

I agree they need a new engine, but every time I think about it I wonder what the point is when they keep dumbing down their games the way they do. It'll just be a prettier version of a shallower experience.

What's the financial incentive, anyway? Their games sell absurdly. They can (and likely will) shit out a bug-ridden, janky, technically outdated product that will sell in droves.

Stiler

They're using Creation Engine, totally different.

No, it's still gamebyro, they just renamed their version of it. The framework is the same as before, which is why it still suffers from the usual jankyness in its engine related issues.

Eh I don't believe his bullshit, especially with the ram and GPUs in the current consoles. That and ps4 pro and Scorpio are decent power upgrades over the base models.Seems his statement is basically code for that they are limited by the shit CPUs in ps4/xb1.

They could simply code the game for a 1080, 16gb ram and skylake i7. For very obvious reasons they won't, but saying the tech isn't there is bullshit.

Perhaps by tech they also mean software tech.

Bigger does that mean better. Dragon age was bigger but sone of that traversing rocks and blocked areas was super annoying. Get better on focus and detail to make me want to go through areas with more immersion and care.

AerialAir

Banned
Bigger does that mean better. Dragon age was bigger but sone of that traversing rocks and blocked areas was super annoying. Get better on focus and detail to make me want to go through areas with more immersion and care.

Bigger isn't better, fallout 4 had so many problems and killed my intrest in their games. I would rather have smaller and defined then "bigger".

/thread
Not trusting Bethesda on anything unless they use proper engines like idTech, CryEngine and Unreal.

"Our next two games are so big you'll feel like a quest designer and QA tester at Bethesda all in one"

"Our motto... Become the Code, So real its like being a character in Westworld"

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Bethesda is probably the only company I can hear that of these days and not be worried.

I feel the opposite. Their games have obviously been drifting towards a streamlined, and designed by committee output thats more and more off putting to me. They rake in the dollars though, I guess thats all that matters.

This is a really dense point of view. It's completely possible that the kind of game he wants to build isn't possible yet.

What, like a relatively bug free,rock solid stable, non too glitchy game world? Yes, I can clearly see how the tech isn't currently there, *cough*, for Beth to achieve such lofty tech goals in their games...

I kid I kid. Even with bullshit merchant Howard at the wheel I fucking love Beth games, bugs and all. I'll catch fire for this but f4 has a fantastic game world and shooting gameplay, plus I like the streamlined rpg mechanics, *dodges bullets*

Oh and thanks for pointing out how dense my view is without providing why that is or even better offering what cannot be achieved with top end current tech!

I mean, it's such a nothing statement. What can't he do? If he just clarified the statement a little then that would have been great! Is it real time ray tracing? Full realtime GI? Thousands of fully unique ai driven npcs? Perfect vr Vr locomotion? Incredibly advanced companion ai? Fully featured dynamic world building algorithms? Are they looking to evoke dagerfall and craft a ginormous world, but in 3D?

When games like W3 , watch dogs 2, mad max, UC4 and even no mans sky use current tech to perform small micracles Todd Howard's claim kinda smells like BS.

Schlorgan

When people say "world-building", I think of a detail or plot that isn't needed to drive the main narrative forward, but adds to a cohesiveness to the themes and tone of the setting. These are perfect examples of why Bethesda is terrible at world building. It's not building anything, it's just disconnected stuff. And my god do these games have a lot of stuff.

It's nothing but stuff! Meaningless,empty stuff that serves no purpose! But it's the best stuff! It's the best stuff that has ever been!

tuxfool

Banned
When people say "world-building", I think of a detail or plot that isn't needed to drive the main narrative forward, but adds to a cohesiveness to the themes and tone of the setting. These are perfect examples of why Bethesda is terrible at world building. It's not building anything, it's just disconnected stuff. And my god do these games have a lot of stuff.

Yeah, pretty much. Not just disconnected, it is stuff that actively goes against the world design.

They certainly enjoy building theme parks, but they do the equivalent of putting Mickey Mouse in the middle of Pirates of the Caribbean.

bounchfx

all ive ever wanted was 2-4 player co op skyrim

i dont give a fuck if it breaks quests, who gives a shit. just let me run around with friends you fucking meanies

Renekton

Perhaps they should look back at Morrowind and wonder why their smallest world size, when used with good environmental design, the lack of quest markers, and limited fast-travel created their best game yet. Take Gothic as an inspiration too. The first game for instance is a very small world, but its use of elevation, and good environmental design created a very memorable place. Exploration was meaningful. You would often discover new paths to areas you hadn't seen the first time. Learning the layout of the map, and the paths to and from each camp was an important part of the game. That sense of place is something Bethesda has lost sight of. Not to mention the other aspects of world-building.
A retread to Morrowind style, eg no quest markers, may be commercial suicide for Beth's budget in this era of mass convenience.

Methinks Beth shouldn't do it but an AA developer can pick up the mantle.

gpn

Can't wait to see what they've got cooking. Fallout 4 and Skyrim SE are far and away my most played games on PS4. If they come out with something for PSVR I'll be over the moon.

Anticol

Banned
Can't wait to see what they've got cooking. Fallout 4 and Skyrim SE are far and away my most played games on PS4. If they come out with something for PSVR I'll be over the moon.

If bethesda makes any VR games with their jankiness everyone would get motion sick, hopefully they are not.

Widge

Source

Skyrim Tamriel Worldspace: 3808 x 3008 [ 119 x 94 TES4 size cells ] = 6.9km x 5.4km = 37.6 sq km = 14.5 sq miles
Oblivion Cyrodiil Worldspace: 4288 x 4128 [ 134 x 129 TES4 size cells ] = 7.7km x 7.4km = 57 sq km = 22 sq miles
Morrowind Vvardenfell World: 2688 x 2816 [ 84 x 88 TES4 size cells ] = 4.8km x 5km = 24 sq km = 9.3 sq miles
Fallout3 Wasteland Worldspace: 6304x6400 [ 197 x 200 TES4 size cells ] = 11.3km x 11.5km = 130 sq km = 50 sq miles
Fallout New Vegas WastelandNV: 4096x4128 [ 128 x 129 TES4 size cells ] = 7.3km x 7.4km = 54 sq km = 21 sq miles

The problem with the world size of Morrowind is that once you remove all the fog, you can literally see from place to place from your current location. I feel the crawling speed of movement combined with the fog gave a false sense of distance and discovery.

massucci

Banned
Todd Howard himself lol. There was an interview around last E3 where he said they had two games in production, neither was ES. More specifically he said the tech to create what they want for TESVI doesn't exist yet.
Neither a NASA tech would be enough knowing them.

Keasar

"We're bigger now and we do want to be putting out more stuff. We have two larger projects that are more classically the scale of what we do, but even bigger. We overlap the projects so we're working on them at the same time, but they're staggered," he teased. "I can't talk a lot about them, but I can say that they're bigger than anything we've ever done. They're a bit different, but definitely in the wheelhouse that people are used to from us."

Oh cool, they doubled their writer staff so they now got two writing a boring story for their games.

The problem I have with Bethesda is that they are clearly a better publisher than developer. Their games do not have the same pull as the ones others make for them. Fallout: New Vegas was a vastly superior Fallout and RPG game than anything Bethesda has made. Dishonored has better sneaking and melee than the Elder Scrolls games of Bethesda. Doom and Wolfenstein: The New Order are better shooters than Fallout 4.

I am more interested when I hear Bethesda is publishing a new game cause clearly they have a talent for spotting the good stuff there. I am way more excited about the new Prey being published by Bethesda and not developed by them than I am by anything Bethesda could announce as their own.

/thread
Not trusting Bethesda on anything unless they use proper engines like idTech, CryEngine and Unreal.
They keep me away on engine and some gameplay issues. Hope to god they don't give me the large levels of da in me. Big is cool but not like that (bioware)

Had more fun in the large homes and path levels, dungeons etc

CrayToes

Honestly. The engine was the least of Fallout 4's problems.

carlsojo

If it is TES6, I hope they do it like Fallout 4 where it's revealed at E3 and releases this holiday season. Because that was fucking great.

Top Bottom