• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Todd Howard says Starfield is running nicely on Series S

Ar¢tos

Let's not forget Bethesda comments about Skyrim Ps3:
"The team knew the PlayStation 3 version could [Bethesda's emphasis] run into a 'bad memory situation' and they coded solutions that they felt would work - and in their tests the solutions did work. Post release a 'small percentage' of users were still experiencing issues where it couldn't keep up, and the team went to work hard on solving it."

" small percentage"... lol
6 months after it still was completely broken.

Filben

On what planet is running at 30fps even on the series X "Running nicely"
On the same planet where Todd says we have in F76 16 times the details of F4 and where Bethesda says "they know what they're doing" when asked about the gold status of Starfield.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
Yeah, that is the same reason I usually play games on PS5 instead of my pretty decent high/mid range PC. I work from home all day on my PC. Sometimes I want to see other rooms in my place.

Similar thing for me but my fiance works in the lounge (dining table) so if she has overtime (she always does) I cannot really use the lounge so I have my Series S hooked up to one of my PC monitors. I also wanna get out of this damn home office room but I find at least totally powering down my PC gives me a similar sense of relief.

As with much of gaming these days, I'll believe it when I see it.

Hoping for a near rock solid fps out of Bethesda on Series X or with very early mods/updates.

Little Mac

As a Series S owner ...

Scared Ron Burgundy GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

LukeAJN

Really hope my RX 580 is up to task at getting this playing at 30 fps, not sure I have it in my budget to get a new GPU right now

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
multi millionaire head of a gaming studio cant afford to have 2 series X consoles and instead buys a series S..... what is he Russian?

multi millionaire head of a gaming studio cant afford to have 2 series X consoles and instead buys a series S..... what is he Russian?
Probably plays anything only via cloud streaming.

Seriously though, just because someone can afford something, does not mean that he can't have the inferior unit too. For whatever reason. In good faith we can hope that he actually uses it to test if his game runs nicely.
But any S owner better waits for tests though, Halo Coop and presumably Redfall 60fps mode ain't coming, so any S specific problem appearing at launch won't be fixed soon either.

ClosBSAS

haha he doesnt even believe that. shits gonna run like ass on PC but whatever man, its starfield. i dont give a fuck plus i have 64gb of ddr5 and a 4090, so fuck it. imma beast on that shit.

Probably plays anything only via cloud streaming.

Seriously though, just because someone can afford something, does not mean that he can't have the inferior unit too. For whatever reason. In good faith we can hope that he actually uses it to test if his game runs nicely.
But any S owner better waits for tests though, Halo Coop and presumably Redfall 60fps mode ain't coming, so any S specific problem appearing at launch won't be fixed soon either.

I can't fathom that MS will get away with never making good on Redfall's 60 fps mode. Seriously, how bad would that look after awful reviews, the 60 fps controversy, and them PROMISING it would be coming post launch?

Then again ive learned to expect the absolute worst from these companies, ESPECIALLY MICROSOFT in the past 2 years. They've gone back on more promises than any other major publisher, such as Halo Infinites co-op and shutting down their BC program.

It probably is running nicely, but then it makes me wonder how it actually looks on Series S then. You can most likely get 45 or even 60fps on Starfield on Series S, but they might have to make the game look like a PS3 game to achieve that.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
such as Halo Infinites co-op

There’s campaign co-op, and it’s been available for a while. They kept that promise at least.

What’s not available is splitscreen couch co-op. And they explained it’s based on technical issues.

shutting down their BC program.

Lol, you can’t be serious. They made no promises to consumers for 100% compatibility with the BC program, and even they went above and beyond for the program with stuff like FPS boost.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
As much as I enjoy the box I don't think I could bring myself to play this on my Series S. It's going to have to be on Series X. Either that or I upgrade my PC, which I may just go ahead and do.

Last edited:

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I am extremely hyped for Starfield and confident in its quality. However, I will be completely fair about CEO/PR talk and note that there is a difference between running and performing. If a game launches, loads, plays the game without crashing, then it is running nicely. Kind of like your car. However, if what you want to discuss is speed and responsiveness, that is a question of how it is performing.

Vox Machina

Banned
I am extremely hyped for Starfield and confident in its quality. However, I will be completely fair about CEO/PR talk and note that there is a difference between running and performing. If a game launches, loads, plays the game without crashing, then it is running nicely. Kind of like your car. However, if what you want to discuss is speed and responsiveness, that is a question of how it is performing.

Is your refrigerator running?

Well, you'd better go catch it!

(I'll see myself out)

ZehDon

Some people are desperately invested into hoping Starfield is bad somehow. It's pretty transparent, tbh.
We have people happily organising their reviewing bombs on social media and we have an eight-page thread of concerned people posting "there's no hype for Starfield" over and over and over. It's not transparent - it's openly organised. I haven't seen this level of unabashed warring before, frankly.

Ozriel

M$FT
It probably is running nicely, but then it makes me wonder how it actually looks on Series S then. You can most likely get 45 or even 60fps on Starfield on Series S, but they might have to make the game look like a PS3 game to achieve that.

I was wondering if you’d never seen DF comparisons between Series X/PS5 and Series S versions of the same game. Or why you’d think dropping resolution of a current gen game would make it ‘look like a PS3 title’.
Then I realized your entire history with Starfield is one of ‘concern’.

This isn’t the right path.

Last edited:

Beechos

What else is he supposed to say? A game that is synonymous with him and the company he works for. Does anyone expect him to really say it doesn't run well? Once this game launches and if it doesn't run good we'll get the usually apology and that it wasn't meant to play like that along with some lame excuse.

There’s campaign co-op, and it’s been available for a while. They kept that promise at least.

What’s not available is splitscreen couch co-op. And they explained it’s based on technical issues.

Lol, you can’t be serious. They made no promises to consumers for 100% compatibility with the BC program, and even they went above and beyond for the program with stuff like FPS boost.

I meant Split screen.

I'm serious about BC and serious about MS's constant flip flopping. Their BC program was supposed to give us 4k/60 Gears Ultimate ...never even got a pass. Why did they shut down the program when they never patched half of their own exclusives from Xbox One gen? Forza 3, Ryse, Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break, Dead Rising 3, Gears Ultimate etc. What about all the Bethesda games that they now own but never patched?

My point is they could've made the Series consoles into true BC machines. They hyped this feature but only took a half measure. Once they got their sights on GamePass and subscriptions they dropped their best program. They couldve made a huge difference in BC on consoles going forward. There was no need to shut it down.

MS's words can't be trusted and neither can their anti gamer actions. Like making Halo free to play while forcing CrossPlay between console and PC. That contributed massively to killing the online component of their moat beloved series.

Redfall 60 fps where is it? Here's another one ...why is MS acting now as if Series X is their intended mid gen console while the S is their base model? Because it suits their agenda and narrative now.

I have a Series X and have been letdown by their decision making throughout the last two years to the point where i dont trust anything from them. Starfield not being 60 fps on the X is also pathetic.

Ozriel

M$FT
I meant Split screen.

I'm serious about BC and serious about MS's constant flip flopping. Their BC program was supposed to give us 4k/60 Gears Ultimate ...never even got a pass. Why did they shut down the program when they never patched half of their own exclusives from Xbox One gen? Forza 3, Ryse, Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break, Dead Rising 3, Gears Ultimate etc. What about all the Bethesda games that they now own but never patched?

My point is they could've made the Series consoles into true BC machines. They hyped this feature but only took a half measure. Once they got their sights on GamePass and subscriptions they dropped their best program. They couldve made a huge difference in BC on consoles going forward. There was no need to shut it down.

MS's words can't be trusted and neither can their anti gamer actions. Like making Halo free to play while forcing CrossPlay between console and PC. That contributed massively to killing the online component of their moat beloved series.

Redfall 60 fps where is it? Here's another one ...why is MS acting now as if Series X is their intended mid gen console while the S is their base model? Because it suits their agenda and narrative now.

I have a Series X and have been letdown by their decision making throughout the last two years to the point where i dont trust anything from them. Starfield not being 60 fps on the X is also pathetic.

Most of this is absolute nonsense, mixed with made up BS. The BC program was set up to bring games from the 360 and OG Xbox library to current gen consoles. At no time did Microsoft ever promise to provide Series X upgrades for every single one of their Xbox One exclusives, nor did they promise that they'd bring the entire 360 and OG Xbox library to Xbox One and Xbox Series consoles.

Console-PC crossplay is not the reason why Halo Infinite suffered a decline in population, and I'm not sure what the lack of a performance mode for Starfield on Series X has to do with broken promises.

If 30fps on Series X is a dealbreaker for you with Starfield, perhaps you can build or buy a PC?

Redfall 60 fps where is it?

Did they make a promise it’d be out by mid August?

Top Bottom