• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Todd Howard says Starfield is running nicely on Series S

knguyen

Show a unedited gameplay clip where it runs nicely on the series S then. This is a game that people should be cautiously excited based on Bethesda behavior.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Show a unedited gameplay clip where it runs nicely on the series S then. This is a game that people should be cautiously excited based on Bethesda behavior.

Luckily for Series S owners (and us, in general) the embargo is 1 day prior to early access and 8 days prior to actual release date. We will know soon.

Seider

Am i the only one who thinks that if the game runs well at 30 fps 1080p on Series S, it should run at 60 fps 1080p on Series X?

Not asking for 60 fps at 1440p o 4k, but 1080p 60 fps should be available on Series X.

Or maybe is the game CPU limited on both systems?

I was wondering if you’d never seen DF comparisons between Series X/PS5 and Series S versions of the same game. Or why you’d think dropping resolution of a current gen game would make it ‘look like a PS3 title’.
Then I realized your entire history with Starfield is one of ‘concern’.

This isn’t the right path.
Well, Microsoft haven’t exactly had the best track record when it comes to quality game releases in the last few years. I was actually highly considering purchasing Starfield even though it’s coming to Gamepass and I’m hoping for Microsoft’s sake it will be really good. Also, it seems like there has been a lack of hype of marketing which made me wonder as well, but admittedly it still has time before release so yeah, I shouldn’t jump to conclusions just yet.

Seems like several developers are really struggling with the Series S, but Bethesda got Starfield supposedly running and looking fine(good?) on the XSS despite it looking impressive visually on the Series X, so I wondered what is their secret that other developers seemingly can’t figure out?

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Let's not forget Bethesda comments about Skyrim Ps3:
"The team knew the PlayStation 3 version could [Bethesda's emphasis] run into a 'bad memory situation' and they coded solutions that they felt would work - and in their tests the solutions did work. Post release a 'small percentage' of users were still experiencing issues where it couldn't keep up, and the team went to work hard on solving it."

" small percentage"... lol
6 months after it still was completely broken.
Didn't PS3's break due to this game?

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
If a game is running well on series S this late into the gen it means they arent pushing the hardware enough with their game.

Make it break

Ozriel

M$FT
Seems like several developers are really struggling with the Series S, but Bethesda got Starfield supposedly running and looking fine(good?) on the XSS despite it looking impressive visually on the Series X, so I wondered what is their secret that other developers seemingly can’t figure out?

‘Other developers can’t figure out’? You mean the same other devs that have been shipping Xbox Series games on the Series S since launch in Q4 2020? Every multiplatform game since November 2020?

You can’t be serious.

MMaRsu

Banned
‘Other developers can’t figure out’? You mean the same other devs that have been shipping Xbox Series games on the Series S since launch in Q4 2020? Every multiplatform game since November 2020?

You can’t be serious.
Cross platform games.

Ozriel

M$FT
Cross platform games.

I guess you meant to say “cross gen”

But that too doesn’t fly. The Medium, Gotham Knights, Flight Sim, Deathloop are all current gen exclusive. Hogwarts Legacy was designed for current gen and was released day one on Series S.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
We’ve only heard complaints from Larian and a few clout chasing indie devs.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Not even 3 years into it and you think this is “late into the gen”
It is 3 years and it will be 4 next year, so yes. This time last gen we had Uncharted 4, The Order, The Witcher 3, Gears of War 4 all in the same year. All pushing hardware and games that looked fucking amazing. This gen 3 years in we have...uhhh. So yes, we're behind schedule comparatively.

Starfield and Spider-Man 2 (lol) are what we're hoping to truly kick off then gen. 3 years into it.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
"Runs nicely on XseS"

sweating key and peele GIF

(I'm just too lazy, just imagine I badly photoshopped Toddie's face on this)

twilo99

Id devs were predicting the XSS would be a problem before launch.

Up until BG3 I’d say it’s been a rather minor problem on a few occasions.. it seems to be fine for the most part.

I played It Takes Two for almost 4 hours on it yesterday and it ran great with that split screen situation..

I have no idea how any of the 3 consoles are supposed to run UE5 based games with those archaic CPUs tho…

Topher

Gold Member
Up until BG3 I’d say it’s been a rather minor problem on a few occasions..

That we know of. DF has said devs are not happy with having to support XSS. Not all devs are going to put in the time and effort required like Larian is in this situation. Could be others have just cut out what doesn't work with XSS across all consoles. That's speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were true.

twilo99

That we know of. DF has said devs are not happy with having to support XSS. Not all devs are going to put in the time and effort required like Larian is in this situation. Could be others have just cut out what doesn't work with XSS across all consoles. That's speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were true.

Yea that’s possible, but do you think they would cut out anything major? We would likely hear about it. Halo co-op is major and we definitely heard about that.

There is no way the devs are happy about having to optimize for weaker hardware.. that’s never happened and probably never will lol

Topher

Gold Member
Yea that’s possible, but do you think they would cut out anything major? We would likely hear about it. Halo co-op is major and we definitely heard about that.

There is no way the devs are happy about having to optimize for weaker hardware.. that’s never happened and probably never will lol

Nah.....probably nothing major. I think it is likely devs have had to push back release dates to accommodate XSS though.

You can’t be serious.
I’m talking about more recently. Haven’t they been complaining about achieving parity with XSX and XSS games with things such as split screen issues with Baldur’s Gate 3? Aren’t they trying to drop the XSS game requirements or something like that when they create multiplatform games? If there are no problems, why do studios want the mandatory requirements dropped? That’s why I said I’ll be surprised if Bethesda can get Starfield running looking really good.

Studios Asking Xbox To Drop Xbox Series S Requirement, Dev Says; System Has Become "Albatross"

A game developer has claimed that "many" studios are trying to drop a requirement that their games have to launch on the Xbox Series S.[\quote]

Studios have been through one development cycle where Series S turned out to be an albatross around the neck of production, and now that games are firmly being developed with new consoles in mind, teams do not want to repeat the process," added Maclure, whose account is now private at the time of writing.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
I’m talking about more recently. Haven’t they been complaining about achieving parity with XSX and XSS games with things such as split screen issues with Baldur’s Gate 3? Aren’t they trying to drop the XSS game requirements or something like that when they create multiplatform games? If there are no problems, why do studios want the mandatory requirements dropped? That’s why I said I’ll be surprised if Bethesda can get Starfield running looking really good.

A game developer has claimed that "many" studios are trying to drop a requirement that their games have to launch on the Xbox Series S.[\quote]​

So basically you have ONE example where only a split screen feature that’s memory intensive is causing challenges.
And another unverified, implausible rumor from a VFX artist whose studio makes games like I am Fish that can run on an iGPU.

That’s what’s driving you to discount years of current gen games showing up and running well on the Series S?

LukeAJN

It is 3 years and it will be 4 next year, so yes. This time last gen we had Uncharted 4, The Order, The Witcher 3, Gears of War 4 all in the same year. All pushing hardware and games that looked fucking amazing. This gen 3 years in we have...uhhh. So yes, we're behind schedule comparatively.

Starfield and Spider-Man 2 (lol) are what we're hoping to truly kick off then gen. 3 years into it.
That still does not make it 'late'

So basically you have ONE example where only a split screen feature that’s memory intensive is causing challenges.
And another unverified, implausible rumor from a VFX artist whose studio makes games like I am Fish that can run on an iGPU.

That’s what’s driving you to discount years of current gen games showing up and running well on the Series S?
The articles and links say, “many” and “several” studios want the requirements dropped. Not sure if it’s 100% legitimate, but how do we know it’s not? It could be a lack of talent, lack of hardware power, silly rumors or a combination of all. Didn’t even Digital Foundry chime in on this as well? Why would studios want the mandatory requirements dropped all of a sudden when they have been making XSS and XSX games for almost 3 years?

As games advance and get more technically demanding, some development issues will probably or even inevitably materialize with the discrepancy in power between the XSX and XSS. Also, maybe the reason the games were running well on the XSS is because cross generation was still common which made running and porting games on the XSS easier perhaps?

Admittedly, I was joking around when I said “PS3 graphics”, but I will think it will get considerably more difficult to accurately port games to XSS in the future. We’ll see what happens though.

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

Isn't Todd pretty damn well off? Why would he have a Series S in his house lol. Just get another X bro.

Anyway, I doubt it. Bethesda games don't run well anywhere.

Why does everyone act like the Series S is an abomination? it's a pretty cool console, beast of a CPU, SSD, light and easy to carry around, my kids love it. Gaming on a 1080p flagship plasma from 7 years ago that I handed down is the perfect combo for them, not everyone is on the 4K cool-aid.

DaGwaphics

You can’t be serious.

You know that one game with the splitscreen has had an an issue. That obviously discounts the hundreds of others that have released just fine on there. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Last edited:

damidu

You know that one game with the splitscreen has had an an issue. That obviously discounts the hundreds of others that have released just fine on there. :messenger_grinning_smiling:
yeah define “just fine”
im seeing missing graphics features and performance modes all around

Aion002

Why does everyone act like the Series S is an abomination? it's a pretty cool console, beast of a CPU, SSD, light and easy to carry around, my kids love it. Gaming on a 1080p flagship plasma from 7 years ago that I handed down is the perfect combo for them, not everyone is on the 4K cool-aid.
Because most people here have a SX, so anything that could affect their console of choice is an abomination.

The moment the Series consoles were announced, most already started hating the weaker one. Now that some devs said that the Series S is an issue, their hate was "justified" and as the generation goes, their hate will just get stronger.

angry the grinch GIF

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
yeah define “just fine”

Well yes. Nobody buys an RTX 3060 and expects it to put out RTX4090 graphics and effects.

Nobody is going into a Series S purchase with the idea they’re getting an exact match for flagship hardware. That’s certainly not how this works.

DaGwaphics

yeah define “just fine”

That's typically what happens when you play on a weaker GPU, yeah. It would be unusual if they played the same, those that bought the system don't care about these differences.

damidu

That's typically what happens when you play on a weaker GPU, yeah. It would be unusual if they played the same, those that bought the system don't care about these differences.
Well yes. Nobody buys an RTX 3060 and expects it to put out RTX4090 graphics and effects.

Nobody is going into a Series S purchase with the idea they’re getting an exact match for flagship hardware. That’s certainly not how this works.

oh is it now
i thought the official line was
“same game at lower res” when they were scamming people into buying the potato

Last edited:

StereoVsn

I mean even Halo didn't get split screen despite the promises. At that point clearly there was an issue with certain functionality.

cireza

I think that pretty much everyone that has a Series X shares the same thoughts as you. And people that have a Series S are most certainly happy it exists.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Because most people here have a SX, so anything that could affect their console of choice is an abomination.

I think it's more likely that there's a performance differential between the SS and the PS5 and some people who like to console war use that difference as a way to argue that their console is the best.

I've got a Series X but I don't lose any sleep over the Series S' performance affecting my console.

Top Bottom