• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TOKYO JUNGLE |OT| The world began without man...and it will end without him.

Two questions:

Will all the Japanese DLC be available for the US version on the US PS Store?
and
Are there any elements or content or anything removed in the localized version?

Yup, after watching the quicklook I decided to pick this up tomorrow. This looks amazing. Thank you PS+. Does anyone know how big the download is?

netguy503

Is it really that big of a deal that it doesn't?

Me, too, but if being DD-only was the best chance for this to be released outside Japan, I'll gladly look past a non-existent physical release.

yes, because unlike most trophy hunters, i like the challenges all the trophies add to the game/alert me to new things ti try in the game. This thing sounds ripe for it, made for all these extra challenges. Plus its $15, back in the day that was pretty much standard at that price. If I bought this game w/o plus or bought the $35 move game on psn a few weeks ago (another game where they could of added loads of trophies for lots of challenges, it was a party game for pete's sake) thinking it had a plat and then finding out it didn't I would have been PISSED OFF.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
yes, because unlike most trophy hunters, i like the challenges all the trophies add to the game/alert me to new things ti try in the game. This thing sounds ripe for it, made for all these extra challenges. Plus its $15, back in the day that was pretty much standard at that price. If I bought this game w/o plus or bought the $35 move game on psn a few weeks ago (another game where they could of added loads of trophies for lots of challenges, it was a party game for pete's sake) thinking it had a plat and then finding out it didn't I would have been PISSED OFF.

Well games can still do that with non-platinum trophies. A game missing the platinum trophy doesnt mean it wont have any added incentives through trophies at all.

I've wanted a wallpaper of that first image in the OP since the game was announced but have never been able to find one. Does a bigger version of that picture without text actually exist anywhere?

I can't comment on that image specifically (it's the JP boxart so shouldn't be too hard, plus the game has had a lot of promo material in Japan; if not the text can be Photoshopped out), but there is a beautiful theme for the game available for around 200 or 300 Yen in the Japanese PS Store. Chances are it won't go up on US (you'll find out tomorrow), if not, then check it out on JP.

netguy503, I've seen you ranting about wanting your "plats" and all in other threads. Well, I have news. Trophies on PS3 software are near worthless. They have been manipulated and cheated to mass degrees the past year...all with no punishment or acknowledgement from SCE. Play games for the games, with trophies just as a checklist in the background. There are so many "ace 100%" cheater trying-to-look real profiles out there that your efforts to get a handful of "plats" is meaningless. The only reason one would want a Platinum list as opposed to a smaller, concentrated list is to boost their trophy level %; again, meaningless due to cheaters going up 40 levels in a few weeks. Play for yourself and the game.

As for wanting more trophies for reasons of wanting more things to do/more replay value, that's understandable. But from what I've seen you're going to be doing most of what the game offers in the trophy list, only things not there would be to survive even longer or other misc. things. Like I said about "concentrated" lists...would you like a full list of 50 with Platinum but with tons of freebies you will get without even looking at the list (going against what you said about wanting more for replay value), or a concentrated list of say 12 of all the highlights of that Platinum list without the freebies? Either way, in both forms the game remains the same.

Noi

netguy503, I've seen you ranting about wanting your "plats" and all in other threads. Well, I have news. Trophies on PS3 software are near worthless. They have been manipulated and cheated to mass degrees the past year. Play games for the games, with trophies just as a checklist in the background. There are so many "ace 100%" cheater trying-to-look real profiles out there that your efforts to get a handful of "plats" is meaningless. Play for yourself and the game.

I don't quite agree on all of this, but I'm one of the people who never understood the mentality of buying games they know they won't like for trophies. But that's a discussion for another thread.

Despite being Day one on this, I can't download it until next month cause I'm already close to my bandwith cap for the month. Damn ISPs. :(

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Was the US update time in the last few weeks at least somewhat consistent? Or still anything to be expected?

yes, because unlike most trophy hunters, i like the challenges all the trophies add to the game/alert me to new things ti try in the game. This thing sounds ripe for it, made for all these extra challenges. Plus its $15, back in the day that was pretty much standard at that price. If I bought this game... thinking it had a plat and then finding out it didn't I would have been PISSED OFF.
I guess I'm old-fashioned for thinking that line of reasoning is fundamentally broken. Do you look at Trophies/Achievements before actually purchasing a game to gauge out its worthiness?

Despite being Day one on this, I can't download it until next month cause I'm already close to my bandwith cap for the month. Damn ISPs. :(
:(

So excited! My Hippo is gonna survive!
But there are no humans. How is your mom...

Oh.

(I couldn't resist myself with a lame joke. I'm sorry!)

Noi

Was the US update time in the last few weeks at least somewhat consistent? Or still anything to be expected?

Half and half. Not quite as "updating on the next day" late as it's been sometimes, but afternoon early like it's been on others.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I already have so many games on my PS3 that I haven't touched yet, but I'm going to snag this one for sure on Friday. It's just too strange and quirky, and looks really fun.

For some reason, it gives me a Way of the Samurai, Samurai Western, Shadow of Destiny feel. I can't quite explain why, but it has that appeal to me: offbeat, driven by player randomness, imperfect controls and camera.

I think I've always had a soft spot for original, creative games that don't have gigantic budgets.

aechris

Nothing to add to the thread other than

FFFFFUCK YEAH RELEASE DAY TOMORROW

QQKYX4

How are we even sure the DLC that Japan got will make it over to US PS Store?
Has it been said?
If not, we can at least use history as an example where Japan got DLC and it didn't make it over for the Western digital stores.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Has it been said?
If not, we can at least use history as an example where Japan got DLC and it didn't make it over for the Western digital stores.

It's a Sony first-party game. I can almost guarantee we'll get the DLC.

It's a Sony first-party game. I can almost guarantee we'll get the DLC.

Just one example:
inFamous: Festival of Blood (using a digital first party game example here as we're talking digital content) never came out in Japan and a few other non-US/EU territories.

Or is that coming? It's been a year now.

kassatsu

Banned
Has it been said?

Because the characters are in-game and have silhouettes that say "purchase to unlock".

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Just one example:
inFamous: Festival of Blood (using a digital first party game example here as we're talking digital content) never came out in Japan and a few other non-US/EU territories.

Or is that coming? It's been a year now.

Festival of Blood is different. It's a standalone game, not DLC.

Plus, what kassatsu said above. :lol

Archon473

I'm holding out until next week. It's possible this is announced as a PS+ free game, which might encourage me to purchase a 3-month subscription and nab this at a discount. If not, still definitely buying.

omg you moron do u relly think a week after the first week release they wuld release this for free one week after release week my god

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Especially from Japan. Deadly Premonition (still need to get it), Earth Defense Force, Oneechanbara, Bullet Witch, etc <3

What really bums me out, is that I bought Deadly Premonition, played about an hour or so into it, then, a few days later, my 360 Red Ringed while my wife was playing Fallout: New Vegas. :/

I've yet to get a new 360, because I have so much other stuff to play, but I really want to play Deadly Premonition. I was really enjoying how absurdly bad it was (in the good way, of course).

I'd love to see more titles like that and Tokyo Jungle come out in the west.

This game is so so so awesome.

And the CEO of Crispy's is a really cool guy and deserves all of your support!

BUY THIS GAME AND GET BUSY WITH YO BAD SELVES!

so I got a PSN Plus 1 month code from PAX. should I use it now for the discount? I just found out 'free' games are lost when the sub ends, so no other reason to hold onto this code, correct?

and psn is down for maintenance. that means tokyo jungle will be out soon yeah yeah yeah!??! what's the usual downtime?

Noi

so I got a PSN Plus 1 month code from PAX. should I use it now for the discount? I just found out 'free' games are lost when the sub ends, so no other reason to hold onto this code, correct?

and psn is down for maintenance. that means tokyo jungle will be out soon yeah yeah yeah!??! what's the usual downtime?

"Free" games are lost when you run out of the sub, but things you bought at a discount are permanently yours. If you want the discount that badly, use it!

zulux21

If you have no interest in getting a plus game collection going the most logical time to use a month trail would indeed be to snag a discount that interests you. Beyond that you will have a month to goof around with the free games (make sure to at least add the ones that will change in Oct to your DL if you have interest in them... not sure which will change yet)

Anyways the NA PS store updates between 2-6PM GCT (Grace Chen Time) Grace Chen Time is defined as time that should occur between 2-6PM PST but can vary with up to 12 hours of difference based upon Grace Chen's whims. There is a decent chance you will be able to obtain it around 4pm PST 7PM EST tomorrow though, thus if you are thinking it will be out at midnight you are going to a sad panda.

If you have no interest in getting a plus game collection going the most logical time to use a month trail would indeed be to snag a discount that interests you. Beyond that you will have a month to goof around with the free games (make sure to at least add the ones that will change in Oct to your DL if you have interest in them... not sure which will change yet)

Anyways the NA PS store updates between 2-6PM GCT (Grace Chen Time) Grace Chen Time is defined as time that should occur between 2-6PM PST but can vary with up to 12 hours of difference based upon Grace Chen's whims. There is a decent chance you will be able to obtain it around 4pm PST 7PM EST tomorrow though, thus if you are thinking it will be out at midnight you are going to a sad panda.

ugggggggggggggggggh

edit- yup it's back up and no game yet :(

DarkKyo

Can someone post the version of the chicks gif that says "You came to the wrong neighborhood". I love that one but I can't find it.

Sgblues

Giving it some thought, there should have been a giant snake in this, either an anaconda or reticulated python in the game.

Would be funny to see you swallowing stuff whole no matter the size, like an elephant for example.

Man

So this game just scored a 9 out of 10 at EuroGamer: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-09-24-tokyo-jungle-review

"The point is, Tokyo Jungle is more than just shagging and fighting. All right, so it is just shagging and fighting so you can unlock bigger animals to do more shagging and violenter fighting. And yes, the environments are linear and the archive thing is stupid and the whole thing feels so dated it's hard not to check your watch in case you're missing the start of This Life.
But it's also tremendous fun. It harks back to ye olde video gaymes of yesteryear, when the reward for trawling through long levels or defeating a tough boss was a nice new gun. Nowadays, the reward is a tedious cut-scene in which people who can't move their lips properly explain a plot it is impossible to care about to each other for four hours. In contrast, Tokyo Jungle is a celebration of classic games, with their ridiculous plots, repetitive tasks, excessive violence and all. It pulls off the impressive and nigh-on impossible trick of being an original homage. Also it lets you set a giraffe on a bear."

Read the review. It's pretty hilarious.

Corto

Eurogamer is the best gamer.

Best box quote?

The point is, Tokyo Jungle is more than just shagging and fighting. All right, so it is just shagging and fighting so you can unlock bigger animals to do more shagging and violenter fighting.

"Shagging and fighting to unlock bigger animals to do more shagging and violenter fighting" Eurogamer 9/10

Top Bottom