• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands |OT| Squad Goals

Belker

HELP!

Second day playing this and I got a terrible audio bug. Its stuttery and the voices are choppy and slowed down.

Here's what I've tried:

Xbox reset
Uninstall/reinstall
Deleted local save data
My xbox is already set to output stereo

Sounded great the first day I played now its unplayable. Any one had this? Is there a fix? Thanks for any insight.

I don't think I've heard of this before. The only similar issue I can think of is when an SAM alarm keeps beeping, even after having left a helicopter. But quitting to the dashboard fixes that.

Does it happen through the TV and headphones? Are you launching from a disc or a digital version?

UrbanRats

Yo, they patched Helicopters handling at last!
You can still switch to the old method in the options tho (i was getting used to it).

It's not GTA levels still, but at least it isn't as obtuse.

jond76

Banned
I don't think I've heard of this before. The only similar issue I can think of is when an SAM alarm keeps beeping, even after having left a helicopter. But quitting to the dashboard fixes that.

Does it happen through the TV and headphones? Are you launching from a disc or a digital version?

Digital version. Haven't checked headphones but the distortion starts on the login screen. It was fine the first day I played. Googling it (which I did first) returns a lot of hits with no real solution. So I was hoping to peg down a smaller community to see if anyone's heard about a fix.

Edit: I see an update is out. I will check again after I update and pray it fixes it.

Erban1

Shame Pvp is pushed back until the fall. Open beta this summer at least. Hope the beta is a good showing, it'll determine if I stick around and keep playing.

Yo, they patched Helicopters handling at last!
You can still switch to the old method in the options tho (i was getting used to it).

It's not GTA levels still, but at least it isn't as obtuse.
Nice. What changed?

Does it still have the two flight modes? Can you actually hit anything with those forward mounted guns now?

Picked this up during the Steam sale and I have put over 50 hours into it...all solo. I love this game, also picked up Fallen Ghosts the other day after enjoying this so much.

Quick question, I hit 30 last night and it's asking me if I want to do the Tier 1 mode, is this advisable for someone playing solo?

UrbanRats

Hard to tell much from that video outside of the HUD changes, which look like a solid improvement.

I'll jump back in over the weekend and put some helos though the paces.

From the quick test i gave (really, literally like 2 minutes):

With the right stick you turn left and right.
With the left stick, you go forward and backwards, and you strafe left and right.
With the triggers you go up and down.

There are some other changes to the physics itself, but i didn't have time to test those.

It's akin games like Just Cause and such, in terms of controls, though they still feel way heavier and slow, compared to that (which is fine i guess, GR is not meant to be that zany).

Picked this up during the Steam sale and I have put over 50 hours into it...all solo. I love this game, also picked up Fallen Ghosts the other day after enjoying this so much.

Quick question, I hit 30 last night and it's asking me if I want to do the Tier 1 mode, is this advisable for someone playing solo?
I'm also playing mostly solo, and i always play on extreme, but haven't gotten to lvl30 yet.
Does TIER 1 make enemies more bullet spongy? That'd be a big no-no for me.
I'm fine with more clever enemies, but bullet sponges go against everything i like about tactical shooters (it's why i immediately noped out of the Division beta).
Also, since your AI companions are some of the worst imbeciles i've ever had to put up in a videogame, it'd probably feel a bit unfair, since most encounters are designed for multiple players/ghosts (though i'm playing with a pad, maybe with a mouse you can go Lucky Luke on them).

Ashtar

I just bought the game add me PSN: Maalik-Ashtaar
Enjoying it so far, but i wish I had some people to play with, I joined a game and they were level like 30 or something

Holy crap - the helicopter and bug fixes patch is 9.5GB on consoles (8GB on PC).

So much for just dropping in to test the new controls.

Here are the patch notes, and the parts specific to helicopter changes:

Update 6 Patch Notes said:
GAMEPLAY

- Added a new default helicopter controls, that can be deactivated in order to revert to the previous controls:
* Now the triggers control the vertical speed (LT = Vertical descending speed, RT = Vertical ascending speed)
* The left stick controls the horizontal speed (Up/Down = Forward/Backward, Left/Right = Left/Right)
* Left/Right on the right stick controls the rotation speed of the chopper
* Up/Down on the right stick controls the rotation speed of the camera (doesn't impact the helicon pitch; this gives a feeling of the player controlling the camera, and the helicopter follows the camera)
- Every helicopter now has a different behavior
* Small helicopters are very fast, very mobile, and have a high pitch
* Gunships are fast, mobile, and have a very military feeling to them
* Blackhawks are slower and more steady when handling
- Helicopters take off physics are now more realistic. Once the helicopter reaches the correct RPM, it will take off automatically
- The helicopters no longer slide while taking off
- Helicopter engine torque reacts to the player's actions (The player will be able to hear and see the engine rotors accelerating or slowing down)
- Improved destruction of helicopters on impact
*Disclaimer: The new Helicopter control scheme is not yet optimized for the Steam Controller. This may cause moving the helicopter left and right with the trackpad to be very slow.*

HUD

- While using a gatling chopper, the HUD now displays a crosshair while aiming
- While using a rocket chopper, the HUD now locks onto targets
- While using a small chopper with rockets, instead of locking, the player shoots rocket salvos
- Added a HUD display that shows the current helicopter speed and altitude

UrbanRats

Holy crap - the helicopter and bug fixes patch is 9.5GB on consoles (8GB on PC).

So much for just dropping in to test the new controls.

Here are the patch notes, and the parts specific to helicopter changes:

the reticles for helis are a game changer.
Finally they're worth more than just to go from A to B slightly faster.

Now we only need some flares to fight those goddamn SAMs, in Media Luna.

Ashtar

It kind of sucks that I can't play coop, every time I join a match it's a bunch of tier 1 peeps doing some super hard mission.
Is there a way I can open my game up to others seems in options I can only make it joinable for friends or no one

It kind of sucks that I can't play coop, every time I join a match it's a bunch of tier 1 peeps doing some super hard mission.
Is there a way I can open my game up to others seems in options I can only make it joinable for friends or no one

Which system are you on? Xbox/PC/PS4?

I know on Xbox I've used the Clubs to organize and find random people to play with who are looking for the same sort of experience. I'm not sure if there is a similar thing on PC or PS4 though.

The helo controls are WAY different, and represent a decent learning curve for me.. but after the weekend I think I have them mostly down. After learning them, you can do a lot more with the helicopters, for sure. The lock on missiles are a bit over powered, but man, it's satisfying. It's also nice to finally be able to use the mini-guns on the helicopters as well.

Have run into some 'odd' bugs so far though.. working on a video to showcase these :)

My only real 'complaint' is one that I've made previously. Making the helicopters "useful" means there is absolutely no reason to use anything else in the game. You can attack almost anything at stand-off distance and rarely take fatal damage in the helicopter. The only real threat is SAM sites, but proper planning and decent flying should keep you safe.

I already have like 43 hours flight time vs 18 hours ground time, so I was biased already, but the new patch means I may never drive again :)

Ashtar

Which system are you on? Xbox/PC/PS4?

I know on Xbox I've used the Clubs to organize and find random people to play with who are looking for the same sort of experience. I'm not sure if there is a similar thing on PC or PS4 though.

The helo controls are WAY different, and represent a decent learning curve for me.. but after the weekend I think I have them mostly down. After learning them, you can do a lot more with the helicopters, for sure. The lock on missiles are a bit over powered, but man, it's satisfying. It's also nice to finally be able to use the mini-guns on the helicopters as well.

Have run into some 'odd' bugs so far though.. working on a video to showcase these :)

My only real 'complaint' is one that I've made previously. Making the helicopters "useful" means there is absolutely no reason to use anything else in the game. You can attack almost anything at stand-off distance and rarely take fatal damage in the helicopter. The only real threat is SAM sites, but proper planning and decent flying should keep you safe.

I already have like 43 hours flight time vs 18 hours ground time, so I was biased already, but the new patch means I may never drive again :)
In on PS4 unfortunately no lfg for me :( I guess I could look for a community but it's likely to be heavily slanted to long time players

In on PS4 unfortunately no lfg for me :( I guess I could look for a community but it's likely to be heavily slanted to long time players

Yeah, maybe use Reddit /GhostRecon or /Wildlands to see if there are any other like minded people who want to play? Maybe find some in here? I know someone started a PS4 GAF task force, but I am not sure if it was used much.

I started playing through the missions again, but this time using the attack helicopters as they were meant to be used!

Northern Plane Mission (Extreme)

It's amazing. So much fun. Almost gives me Desert Strike/Strike Series feels...

Now hopefully they fix the Blackhawk Flipping bugs.

But why are the helicopters flipping? It's Aliens.

Really enjoying the post launch Support from Ubisoft on this title though, especially since it is relatively low on required micro-transactions.

Just as an aside.. I finally went down to Flor de Oro to get a COBRA (it's not a god-damn Apache, it's a Cobra with a stupid Longbow radar dish on top).. and..

Holy Mary, Mother of God.

The Cobra is god damn sex. SEX! It handles like a dream, it's quick, and the rockets make quick work of everything. I thought I recorded a couple clips last night, but apparently my Xbox wasn't behaving. I took out entire bases with ease in that puppy. Convoys? More like con-NOYS! (... what?)

Even more proof that helicopters make everything else in game superfluous.

SAM's are still a bitch, but you can avoid them if you know what you're doing. Enemy helicopters don't stand a chance. Their rockets don't even lock on! I wouldn't mind a slight nerf to the power.. or maybe make the gunner control the rockets? I dunno. But it's awesome.

Thinking about picking up both DLCs as they are on sale in Europe, are they worth it?

Fallen Ghosts is good.. Narco Road.... ehhhhh it's OK. It's more content.. but it's kind of like a poor man's Far Cry Blood Dragon.. where they tried to make it like an 80's action movie or something. I enjoyed some of the craziness but it's not a must buy for sure. It's not at all like the main game.

Fallen Ghosts is more or less a proper sequel to the main game, with some new enemies, weapons, and abilities.

Funny, didn't see any Blackhawk glitches playing tonight.

Hopefully they can do a simple patch or something. Seems hit or miss for me, but usually manifests if you're not completely flat when landing. Had a bunch of flips.

Little Bird and Cobra seem fine though.

Down to Tier 9.. The final stretch to Tier 1 is rough lol

I will definitely take the new heli controls over the old ones, but they do need some tweaking still. The low speed/hover movements need momentum. They are like a humming bird with input lag right now.

Juan

Hey everyone, I played this game when the beta was up but didn't feel it was really appealing (for me ofc), but I got curious to ask, since it was maybe just a poor first impression I got, what makes you play GRW?

I might give it another chance since there is a 5 hours demo, but still, I would be glad to hear from the Gaf community around there. :)

Hey everyone, I played this game when the beta was up but didn't feel it was really appealing (for me ofc), but I got curious to ask, since it was maybe just a poor first impression I got, what makes you play GRW?

I might give it another chance since there is a 5 hours demo, but still, I would be glad to hear from the Gaf community around there. :)

There have been good quality of life improvements and the flight controls have been overhauled (im not of fan of helicopter control changes tho) but the core gameplay loop is still the same as the beta.

As most people in this thread have commented since launch, this is a game that is much more fun playing with others. If u intend to just play solo ur experience will be similar to the beta. You can jump in at anytime and play with anyone and go do whatever you want and only a very small amount of content is locked behind campaign progression requirements so even now there is nothing that will prevent you from linking up with others.

Im a fan of the series since OGR and I mostly enjoy it for the tactical elements and freedom to play the game in coop in different ways. By default it is pretty laid back experience with generous respawns even when things go wrong but you can also customize the experience to be pretty hardcore but toggling most of the hud options off. The game world in Wildlands is massive, visually impressive and has great variety in environments and weather that keep things fresh. Most of the mission fall into only a few types but the different terrain and conditions usually keep things interesting.

Ive completed the campaign and Fallen Ghosts DLC and still play from time to time with friends just to casually socialize while shooting stuff.

Finally! Tier 1 achieved..

gaxmhBy.gif

... now what!

Thanks! Yeah.. I still need to finish fallen Ghosts, so I'll probably work on that for a bit.

The new helicopter controls made it so much easier to level up. Convoys. So, so many convoys. The LVOA-C is interesting, not sure I prefer it over anything else though. To be fair, at Tier 5 you're not really trading much fire with the enemy. If they're shooting at you.. You're probably already dead!

I did appreciate the difficulty increase though. Made me change up my whole playstyle, a few times.

Somehow this is really the only game I've put significant time into.. Since March! Money saver right here :)

Matush

Almost done with the game, I have 4-5 locations left, already put over 35 hours into it. already at Tier 35, so I have the highest difficulty activated. Game changes drastically once you are playing on higher difficulties. Love it. Even though game is getting little bit samey, I still love gameplay loop. No wonder so many people are still playing and buying the game, it's legit.

Almost done with the game, I have 4-5 locations left, already put over 35 hours into it. already at Tier 35, so I have the highest difficulty activated. Game changes drastically once you are playing on higher difficulties. Love it. Even though game is getting little bit samey, I still love gameplay loop. No wonder so many people are still playing and buying the game, it's legit.
I agree especially with describing it as sometimes a bit same-y but also a great gameplay loop. For me it's really excelling as a sort of 'daily action' game. It's basically my new MGS V, actually... What I mean by that is, I've been playing MGS V since release since despite most of my daily action being the same sort of things, the same basic gameplay loop, every day I still sort of enjoy loading it, choosing a target, crafting a strategy and choosing my load-out, making my approach and scouting it, setting up my plan or tactics, and executing it.

If I do that too many times in a night it'll wear on me but almost every evening I keep coming back for at least one or two base raids or infiltrations.

Game really excels on higher difficulties or HUD-less, too. Helps get the most immersion, tension, whatever out of each night's raid.

Greddleok

My interest has been piqued again after the free weekend. Is there a way to play party-less. I really don't like having the team mates, I just want to do solo infiltration.

Matush

My interest has been piqued again after the free weekend. Is there a way to play party-less. I really don't like having the team mates, I just want to do solo infiltration.
I've been playing almost entirely solo without any problems, once you have team based skilled unlocked, it's a blast to play, even in solo.

The AI guys are always there, except in Narco Road. You CAN tell them to wait somewhere and then go off and do your thing. Sometimes they'll stay there, sometimes they'll teleport to you, kinda iffy.

After getting to Tier 1 yesterday, I played a little bit last night just to run around. It was fun, I infiltrated a base, stole a plane, and just flew around the map for a while at high altitude. Amazing that you can see the Inca Camina mountains from the Koani salt desert! I love that, for the most part, if you can see it.. you can go there.

Also.. Season 3, Week 1 challenges are here!

Theme this season is Coca Fields.

Challenge 1: Without killing any enemies, deploy to Tabacal and complete the Stock Drop mission.

Challenge 2: Without shooting a single bullet, deploy to Ocoro and complete the Aggressive Competition mission.

Challenge 3: In Extreme difficulty, and without dying, deploy to Via Verde and complete the Laboratory 1 and Laboratory 2.

Should be fun!

Greddleok

Cool, there's nothing much interesting me later this year, other than Dragon's Dogma, so I'll definitely pick up GR:W once I've finished my couple of game backlog.

Snoopycat

Banned
I bought this at the weekend and been playing it with a buddy. His character is in the 30s, mine's is lvl 9. We put it on the highest difficulty because I can't stand games where you get shot 30 times and still don't die.

Suddenly it became a very different and much more intense game. If there's one thing I really hate about modern gaming (apart from endless bloody micro transactions) it's wall hacks or detective vision as they call it. It just ruins games. I can't see the point of playing a game if everything is done for you. There's no challenge. There's certainly no gameplay. It's pathetic. (Yes, that means you Horizon Zero Dawn.)

Anyway, I'll stop before I start ranting. So, yes, just turning up the difficulty improved the game 100%. We started a raid on a prison and realised we couldn't use our sniper rifles because they kept alerting the guards. We had to sneak in at opposite points, use our binoculars to judge the distances between enemies, take out the lights/alarms, we had to use our pistols because they were the quietest weapons. We had to find out who was a guard and who was a worker. It was tense as hell and the most fun I've had in ages.

The only complaint I have is I'd like an option to use a knife, that would improve the stealth gameplay.

Top Bottom