• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Nook Amiibo is less than $6 new direct from Amazon and Walmart

Morts

Is it possible that non-Smash amiibos are just a dud?

Would be a bummer if amiibos turn out to be a big part of the NX strategy only for no one to care anymore.

Koobion

I just bought him for his adorable sweater, and it's telling me related items are exorcism oriented horror movies. Is this amiibo possessed?

Somnid

Would be a bummer if amiibos turn out to be a big part of the NX strategy only for no one to care anymore.

Either they don't have the same fervent reach or game quality actually does impact Amiibo sales.

Vena

I think its very much also a question about game quality.

Splatoon? Great game... good luck finding Amiibos (especially in Japan).

Woolly World? Great game... the Yoshi's are sporadic in their availability.

AC:HHD? Good game... cards are sold out regularly.

But then...

AC:AF? Bad game... amiibos everywhere.

Chibi-Robo? Meh game... amiibos (and the game) everywhere.

Another problem is that some of them, particularly in the bad-game category, have like no uses other than for their bad game. Also the more insidious the use, the more push-back I feel since most games that overdid their Amiibo focus ended up doing poorly.

Phu

Banned

Ah, screw my brain, totally read that as "Assassin's Creed: Happy Home Designer."
I'd buy it.

Another problem is that some of them, particularly in the bad-game category, have like no uses other than for their bad game.

And the uses that they do have in other games are borderline worthless.

Credo

Another problem is that some of them, particularly in the bad-game category, have like no uses other than for their bad game. Also the more insidious the use, the more push-back I feel since most games that overdid their Amiibo focus ended up doing poorly.

Is there a list somewhere that shows which Amiibo have uses in various games? I haven't followed news about them very closely, but I've thought about getting some, and I don't want one that is used for 1 game and then just sits on a shelf.

Vena

Is there a list somewhere that shows which Amiibo have uses in various games? I haven't followed news about them very closely, but I've thought about getting some, and I don't want one that is used for 1 game and then just sits on a shelf.

http://www.nintendo.com/amiibo/compatibility

Nintendo has a whole page of cross-use listing for compatibility. But, rule of thumb, if its a big IP (like Zelda) or Mario series related, you can't go wrong.

Some games (SMM, Yoshi WW, Smash, Chibi-Robo, Hyrule Warriors) use just about every amiibo in existence in some (ranging from a skin to "this gives you 1 rupee") way or another. But generally they tend to be IP focused, so MetaKnight, Kirby, and DDD work with the most recent Kirby game, for instance. Mario Party, Mario Tennis, Mario PaperJam, all of them work with anything in the Mario series.

Just looking at that Amiibo page is terrifying. From a development perspective, having to account for all those things must be a nightmare.

maxcriden

Either they don't have the same fervent reach or game quality actually does impact Amiibo sales.

I think it's both. Though...more the former and more online FUD when it comes to Chibi-Robo. I haven't played Zip Lash yet but GAF impressions were very favorable. I imagine something like Zelda or Yoshi will be much more popular as an amiibo brand than a niche character, unless that character were to appear in Smash or MK.

Credo

http://www.nintendo.com/amiibo/compatibility

Nintendo has a whole page of cross-use listing for compatibility. But, rule of thumb, if its a big IP (like Zelda) or Mario series related, you can't go wrong.

Some games (SMM, Yoshi WW, Smash, Chibi-Robo, Hyrule Warriors) use just about every amiibo in existence in some (ranging from a skin to "this gives you 1 rupee") way or another. But generally they tend to be IP focused, so MetaKnight, Kirby, and DDD work with the most recent Kirby game, for instance. Mario Party, Mario Tennis, Mario PaperJam, all of them work with anything in the Mario series.

Just looking at that Amiibo page is terrifying. From a development perspective, having to account for all those things must be a nightmare.

Thanks for the response. I worry about buying even 1 because of my completionist personality quirk, but I don't see any point in having stuff that doesn't have a wide variety of uses. And I wouldn't mind buying mine used and already loose, so maybe it wouldn't be too terrible to buy a few like Mario, Luigi, Link, Donkey Kong, Kirby, etc.

leroidys

There was that interview where they outright said they wanted Animal Crossing amiibo so they pitched a game that'd use them...I wonder if that worker has been scolded by now.

They said basically the same thing about Chibi Robo. At least the AC series is big enough to survive one bomb on a dead console. Chibi Robo died on Amiibo Hill.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Prices remain low, even lower in some cases.

3-Pack amiibo with K.K. Slider and the two llamas: $18.45

Resetti at $7.41

Can our raccoon go lower? He can: $5.30 for him (was $5.31 at the start of this post)

GOTY 2015 now for $32

The REAL sales though will be for Mexican gaffers, because Amazon Mexico really really wants to get rid of all this junk:

Animal Crossing amiibo Festival at 349 pesos ($19 USD)

3-Pack at 299 pesos ($16 USD)

Did you see the Frys sale today?

dAmzEP1.jpg

Richie

Did you see the Frys sale today?

dAmzEP1.jpg

Holy freaking Mother of Jesus.

I'd buy five Resettis just to gift to friends wow.

Man, a 71% discount I don't even want to imagine the overstock they must have right now since you never see these type of discounts on already imported items

Poor retailers everywhere got burned.
Animal Crossing always sold great. amiibo were selling great...."A product that includes both? Gimme dozens of thousands!"

They said basically the same thing about Chibi Robo. At least the AC series is big enough to survive one bomb on a dead console. Chibi Robo died on Amiibo Hill.

Aw man, that's sadly true.

I think its very much also a question about game quality.

Splatoon? Great game... good luck finding Amiibos (especially in Japan).

Woolly World? Great game... the Yoshi's are sporadic in their availability.

But then...

AC:AF? Bad game... amiibos everywhere.

Chibi-Robo? Meh game... amiibos (and the game) everywhere.

It could also be just how many games an Amiibo is compatible with too.

If an Amiibo only does stuff in one or two games (like the Animal Crossing ones) then it's less valuable IMO than one that does stuff in a variety of games.

Top Bottom