• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Warren: Lockhart GPU will have 20CUs

I don't think the One X is long for this world. The Lockhart/Series S is meant to be an upgrade for the One S though, with the Series X being the premium model. Kind of the way every phone company does it these days. At least that's how I see it.

One X has already been discontinued.

Neo_game

It would be stupid to release a Series S if it doesn't last the same years as Series X. It would be stupid to have developers having to program for Series S which they plan to not support for 7 years. If at year 6, Halo Infinite 3 comes out and doesn't support Series S, Series S owners will be pissed. If Halo Infinite 3 does work on Series S, but they not selling Series S anymore that would be strange. With that strategy why release Series S, why not just focus on cross gen with One S.

Series S will be here long term as a budget option. Just as Netflix offers 4K and HD options, Apple offer Pro models and Lite models of their latest phones.

The time Series S gets discounted will be the same time Series X gets discounted when we get Series S2 and Series X2.

Yes, it is stupid to even launch such a gimped so called "next gen console". It has no future IMO but I guess they are hoping casual will buy it or people will use it as a secondary console at best. RTX 3080ti will be twice as fast in RT than these consoles. It will be sorry state of affair if S model is still used some years from now. I think PS5, and X will eventually become the base console. S will be gone for good and Pro model will offer better RT, higher resolution, frames. Other than handhelds I do not think console sell at around 250$ anyways. X was discounted for some 300$ some months ago why would anyone buy the dated S version for 100$ cheaper ? Moreover Microsoft would not want to make loss on both console.

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
Yes, it is stupid to even launch such a gimped so called "next gen console". It has no future IMO but I guess they are hoping casual will buy it or people will use it as a secondary console at best. RTX 3080ti will be twice as fast in RT than these consoles. It will be sorry state of affair if S model is still used some years from now. I think PS5, and X will eventually become the base console. S will be gone for good and Pro model will offer better RT, higher resolution, frames. Other than handhelds I do not think console sell at around 250$ anyways. X was discounted for some 300$ some months ago why would anyone buy the dated S version for 100$ cheaper ? Moreover Microsoft would not want to make loss on both console.
Who cares about 3080ti, it’s not like those high end cards sell much anyway! Look at what most people have on steam and you’ll realize most people are still on the low end when it comes to gaming and a lot of people are still on 1080p displays or 1440p.

Also I expect consoles to come out on the high end price wise and I somehow doubt we will be getting mid gen upgrades this upcoming console generation as by the time they come out I don’t think PS5 and series X will be so low in price that they’ll be able to afford to release a new console at a higher price.

There is no reason why the S couldn't last for 7 years. It's gonna be a 1080p console. CPU and SSD is gonna be the same as the big boys. The only bottleneck is resolution, which is fine since this is a 1080p console...

Neo_game

Who cares about 3080ti, it’s not like those high end cards sell much anyway! Look at what most people have on steam and you’ll realize most people are still on the low end when it comes to gaming and a lot of people are still on 1080p displays or 1440p.

Also I expect consoles to come out on the high end price wise and I somehow doubt we will be getting mid gen upgrades this upcoming console generation as by the time they come out I don’t think PS5 and series X will be so low in price that they’ll be able to afford to release a new console at a higher price.

AMD cards are going to support RT from now. So RT is going to be an option in coming years for sure. Most PC user game on monitor where as I doubt anyone these days or for the past couple of years are buying 1080P TV. You think 3-4yrs from people will still be interested on 1080P gaming ? If there are no midgen upgrade then I guess they will continue to sell these consoles.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
AMD cards are going to support RT from now. So RT is going to be an option in coming years for sure. Most PC user game on monitor where as I doubt anyone these days or for the past couple of years are buying 1080P TV. You think 3-4yrs from people will still be interested on 1080P gaming ? If there are no midgen upgrade then I guess they will continue to sell these consoles.

People still watch 720p content on their 4k sets.

So yeah I think in 7 years 1080p will be more than fine for a lot of people.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
If it runs all the next-gen games fine at 1080p then I would definitely get one if it's aggressively (ie low) priced.
Perhaps it'll have no disc-drive and therefore be super cheap because (like PS5 Digital) consumers will be permanently tied to the digital store front.

supernova8

Banned

Yeah I got myself a 4KTV last year and watching Amazon Prime, I find it hard to spot the difference when it automatically switches from HD to Ultra HD. It looks better but it's not mind-blowing. Just feels like a slightly crisper 1080p image. SD to 1080p is a massive leap of course. I get the feeling 8K is going to be the same. If you're not impressed by 4K you definitely won't be impressed by 8K either.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Yeah I got myself a 4KTV last year and watching Amazon Prime, I find it hard to spot the difference when it automatically switches from HD to Ultra HD. It looks better but it's not mind-blowing. Just feels like a slightly crisper 1080p image. SD to 1080p is a massive leap of course. I get the feeling 8K is going to be the same. If you're not impressed by 4K you definitely won't be impressed by 8K either.
I've watched enough 4K I can tell immediately but it is subtle depending on the screen size. 65 and 75 inch display is far easier to tell.

4K has "pop" that just boosts the clarity enough that when it's encoded properly really helps you focus on the image .

That's the other thing is that 4K resolution isn't enough. The content needs to be shot in high quality as well. Which even 4K discs is not always the case.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
That's the other thing is that 4K resolution isn't enough. The content needs to be shot in high quality as well. Which even 4K discs is not always the case.

Yeah I was going to mention that too. I have seen a lot of 1080p Youtube footage that looks much better than some of the 4K stuff on there.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Yeah I was going to mention that too. I have seen a lot of 1080p Youtube footage that looks much better than some of the 4K stuff on there.

Bitrate is king. Some of Netflixs stuff is pretty good at 4K. Apple TV plus content has the best I've seen in terms of streaming but some true 4k discs can be extremely nice.

But even with that said, like you said, lot of people just don't see a major difference. most of the mass market end up with a 4K tv because they simply got a new TV. People really like to look at 4K tv adoption rate, but that's half the story. If you look at how many people are actually watching 4K content, the number drops significantly.

Gamerguy84

Bitrate is king. Some of Netflixs stuff is pretty good at 4K. Apple TV plus content has the best I've seen in terms of streaming but some true 4k discs can be extremely nice.

But even with that said, like you said, lot of people just don't see a major difference. most of the mass market end up with a 4K tv because they simply got a new TV. People really like to look at 4K tv adoption rate, but that's half the story. If you look at how many people are actually watching 4K content, the number drops significantly.

4kTV has been the slowest to infiltrate households everywhere. Its weird because I remember buying my first 1080P set for $3000. You can get a decent 4k HDR set for $1000. Some go as low as $350. (Wouldnt recommend)

I also remember paying extra for 1080i channels. Like paying Netflix 5 extra dollars for 4K.

So cheap 4K can be bought everywhere but your average household doesnt have one.

Gamers and people that stream content (remember the old term cable cutters) are the only ones benefitting and want them.

Starcheif

4kTV has been the slowest to infiltrate households everywhere. Its weird because I remember buying my first 1080P set for $3000. You can get a decent 4k HDR set for $1000. Some go as low as $350. (Wouldnt recommend)

I also remember paying extra for 1080i channels. Like paying Netflix 5 extra dollars for 4K.

So cheap 4K can be bought everywhere but your average household doesnt have one.

Gamers and people that stream content (remember the old term cable cutters) are the only ones benefitting and want them.
I passed on 4k last year because the content is just not to the level it should be at the moment but I am picking up a OLED in the fall this year because of next gen.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Today, people are even playing 900p and 1080p Nintendo games on their 4K sets, and having a blast.

If Lockhart can truly bring the flavor of next-gen across, both in general, and in 1080p or 1440p HDR, for a mainstream price, and straddling current gen and next gen libraries, I'm not sure that some, or even most people will care all that much.

It does have to look good, though. If that next gen leap doesn't come through, for whatever reason, that could be a little damaging. Maybe not enough to disuade the casual customer, but all the same.

Honestly, I feel the same. I honestly feel like HDR is a much bigger game changer than 4k and there is no reason Lockhart won't also have HDR capabilities and be able to output a 4k resolution even when no games will render in 4k

supernova8

Banned
If you look at how many people are actually watching 4K content, the number drops significantly.

Yeah totally. As you say, people aren't necessarily buying 4K because they want it, they're probably buying 4K because they were in the market for a new TV after X years and their budget could get them at least a low-end 4K set.

ZywyPL

Banned

Because people already have 40-55" TV, so why would they want/need to buy a new set if their old 10-15yo one if still up and running and doing its job perfectly fine? Especially when 4K is a joke as far as content go, most HD channels are 1080p at best, while many if not most are still SD, that's what people watch on a daily basis, that's why they don't see a single reason to change their FullHD TVs. Not many people can afford to put a 65-75" set in their living room as well, so again, even less reasons to switch from already owned setup.

FranXico

Can't be as much as Sony is paying Jason Schrier.
What a shit deal Sony got out of him. Publishing exposes about workforce abuse at Naughty Dog.

Sony clearly lack the decades worth of experience in paid propaganda and astroturfing Microsoft has. "Get the Facts".

And by he way, Tom Warren does it for free. That's some true corporate love right there.

Last edited:
What a shit deal Sony got out of him. Publishing exposes about workforce abuse at Naughty Dog.

Sony clearly lack the decades worth of experience in paid propaganda and astroturfing Microsoft has. "Get the Facts".

And by he way, Tom Warren does it for free. That's some true corporate love right there.

Seems like they have the experience alright.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member

He's the reporter of anything Microsoft for The Verge, so obviously there will be a Microsoft fan in him. I do believe you definitely see this in his Twitter correspondence, which is personal. His articles are very objective though, it's not like you can see his preference shine through in his reviews and articles.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Conspiracy theory time: I was looking at this on my iphone and it looks different than on PC...

9eUitg6.jpg

:messenger_grinning_sweat:
tenor.gif

Neo_game

Why not then make 1080P games on PS5 and X version like Microsoft did a demo of Minecraft with ray tracing :messenger_grinning: Personally I think 4K is a pretty big jump from 1080P. So a 1440P with high fidelity gfx is probably sweet spot. Let the S version run at 720P or 480P. Because the way I see it PS5 and X will basically get resolution or fps boost whatever the S version does

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

I would suspect that both the XSS and XSX models will get a refresh in three or four years time, with the original models discontinued (but still supported by software for another 3 or 4 years when the next wave hits). That assumes that the market still remains for a budget console by then, if streaming is making inroads, the gaming sticks take over the bottom end.

Top Bottom