• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Warren to the anti Lockhart

Status
Not open for further replies.

SleepDoctor

Banned
Okay, show me your math.

It's not like I am 100% convinced that Lockhart will be 1080p and being able to show XSEX like graphics, but I would not rule it out at the moment.

Maybe you can enlighten us with your superior knowledge.

Actually, yes, that's the easiest way to lower the grunt the CPU and GPU have to deal with.

Choosing a resolution is like not even really part of "game dev".

Your statement is not making any sense.

Just report and move on. He's been doing nothing but concern trolling.

Notice instantly this guys a "shill" now or whatever. Whats that make Sweeney with all the ssd hype? Obviously a marketing deal but no one's calling him a "shill". Double standards with everything here.

Can't have more than about 5 posts in an Xbox thread before fanboys start trolling.

Tulipanzo

Okay, show me your math.

It's not like I am 100% convinced that Lockhart will be 1080p and being able to show XSEX like graphics, but I would not rule it out at the moment.

Maybe you can enlighten us with your superior knowledge.
If 12TF is enough for 4K, then 4TF is enough for 1080p, if resolution scales linearly.
However MS is telling developers to target 1440p, which would require more TF vs the mainline machines.

In case of tech such as UE5, or Minecraft RT, the mainline consoles are already pushed below 4K; UE5 tech demo is at 1440p with lossless reconstruction on PS5, Minecraft RT is at 1080p on XSX. Both of these push the Lockhart below 1080p, or even 720p.

The Lockhart would require specific optimization, and miss out on full RT and UE5 features such as virtualized geometry, significantly increasing the costs of development.

Actually, yes, that's the easiest way to lower the grunt the CPU and GPU have to deal with.

Choosing a resolution is like not even really part of "game dev".

Your statement is not making any sense.
The targeted resolution can actually dictate which assets you need to use, effects you can afford, targeted frame-rate etc.
On PC you can just let people go below 1080p, but that'll be DoA on a console in 2020 (if 1080p already wasn't massively outdated).

Considering your statement was "it just does 1080p np", which doesn't line up with development sources or MS's own targets, I'm not surprised you couldn't follow my posts.

Tulipanzo

Just report and move on. He's been doing nothing but concern trolling.

Notice instantly this guys a "shill" now or whatever. Whats that make Sweeney with all the ssd hype? Obviously a marketing deal but no one's calling him a "shill". Double standards with everything here.

Can't have more than about 5 posts in an Xbox thread before fanboys start trolling.
Your key defense for Lockhart is then to accuse people of being PS shills? And to cite Sweeney, a person I didn't even bring up?

That's a very unhealthy mindset to bring to a tech discussion thread.

SaucyJack

By Tom Warren's logic they could put a Pentium 4 in Lockhart (which can be clocked as high as the Series X's 3.8 GHz) and we'd all be good because CPU speed is THE metric for next gen?

DavidGzz

Depends on the price. It's a 1/3rd of the Series X in tflops, which is MS numbers game, but it obviously won't cost a 1/3rd (the CPU and memory are closer).

So $200 it will sell great. $300 it'll be too expensive for a 4tflop machine imo, especially if PS5 digital is only $100 more.

The problem is you see it as one or the other. A $299 4tf machine is a bargain and at that price many will buy it as a secondary console. I would get one simply to have a smaller console for portability and even PS5 owners will get it as a Game Pass machine. Not everyone is exclusive to one platform. People are paying that much for a weak tablet called the Switch. Also, I really doubt the XSX and/or the PS5 will be $100 cheaper than the XB1X was at launch. I hope they are since I am getting both at launch, but I doubt it.

What has Tom said that you feels lacks integrity?

Tom has been an accurate leaker for a while now.
Not sure why you would have a problem with him.
It’s only because he’s saying something positive about Xbox and it makes the PS5 look bad in comparison.

That is literally the only reason. We’ll see a lot of this come November-December when they start to realise the tables are turning.

Alx

Because it’s cheaper and displays at 1080p instead of 4K for cheaper next hen experiences? Not exactly rocket science pal.

Yeah seriously I don't see why it's so hard to understand ; XSX for 4K screens, XSS for 1080p screens.
It's not even hard to explain to customers, no need for flops, SSD or RAM discussion.

Like many regular people out there I only own a 1080p TV that works fine and that I have no need to change. Buying a Series X for it would be overkill, since I wouldn't need all the horsepower to render at 4K. If I can have the same result with a console that is half the price, why wouldn't I take that opportunity ?
And even if down the road I may own a 4K TV, it will still be time to buy a Series X then, for much lower than its launch price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom