• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Definitive Edition - PlayStation 4 = ~60fps, Xbox One = ~30fps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soi-Fong

Oh yeah no argument here, but it being 60fps doesn't automatically shoot it up to be the end all be all version, at least to me. :p

You also mentioned 60 fps locked for the PC version... And there's been many here as well who have 780's and 7970's that cannot keep a locked 60 fps with ultra settings and TressFX on.

Yet you'll only give credence to the console versions if they're at locked 60? I understand keeping high standards, but you also have to be realistic as well. It's a 400 dollar machine.

Hitting 60 most of the time is already an accomplishment for this game, one which you don't seem keen on giving and for what reason I don't know.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
His choice. There's people that bought certain multiplats on the PS2/PS3 over the other console(s) they had simply due to controller preference.

So dumb. There have been devices for that like Cronus and Magic Box for generations.

Montresor

I got to admit that the dogpile makes me very discouraged to be an Xbox only fan, lol.

Oh well, this is the path I've chosen. I'm a big fan of Xbox exclusives and the Xbox OS as a whole. It obviously sucks to get gimped multiplatform titles. But... nope, no but there. It sucks.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I have to eat some crow, yet again. I knew there would be differences between the consoles but I said there would probably never be a 60/30 split and here we are.

I would have been happy with 30fps for this with the visual enhancements and never expected it to even be able to get close to 60 at 1080p on PS4 with TressFX enabled. PS4 keeps surprising me with how capable it is for the hardware inside, even this early on. We're already getting performance and visuals at the level I was expecting in the middle of then gen with more powerful hardware than what we ended up getting. We're going to see some serious shit come out of that box.

Tabular

Banned
There were Lara comparison pics in the old thread. Her changes are subjective.

And yeah there's different effects but there's also zero tesselation, AA is worse, and no 4k. That and we still have to see what kind of 60fps is it. Is it locked? It hits 60 most of the time?

If the 60fps is locked then you will be happy with either version. (Except one version can be found for $5 and the other $60)

At the end of the day, when comparing the 2 versions you have to ask yourself, did they put enough effects that they can charge 1200% extra?

I'm sceptical the PC version would hold up to the Definitive version. They changed a lot of assets and I don't remember the PC version looking that good. Can you link the comparison pictures your talking about?

nib95

Banned
Are people really going to try and argue an unlocked 30 is better than an unlocked 60 now??

Next they'll be arguing 720p upscaled is as good as native 1080p or some shit. Oh wait...

Just so you know, both Frushtick and Gies (both from Polygon) already sort of tried the latter. Claiming the differences between 1080p and 720p were barely noticeable...yea...

He and Russ Frushtick think that resolution difference is pretty much imperceptible.

Funny that it took me about 10 seconds to notice the difference when I played both versions on my tv.

I had my brother telling me that resolution don't matter.....until they came to my house and saw Killzone SF on my Kuro tv.....then he was like holy shiet!

I think for most people who are more than ready to downplay 1080p, I am convinced few of them have actually seen a game in that kind of resolution. Last gen had a lot of graphical showcases, but it was still mostly sub HD games that had poor textures and framerates. And that was the kind of "HD" gaming our eyes were used to.

Soi-Fong

I have to eat some crow, yet again. I knew there would be differences between the consoles but I said there would probably never be a 60/30 split and here we are.

I would have been happy with 30fps for this with the visual enhancements and never expected it to even be able to get close to 60 at 1080p on PS4 with TressFX enabled. PS4 keeps surprising me with how capable it is for the hardware inside, even this early on. We're already getting performance and visuals at the level I was expecting in the middle of then gen with more powerful hardware than what we ended up getting. We're going to see some serious shit come out of that box.

Cerny-box dude...

MazeHaze

Banned
I don't understand anybody defending 720p for a 500 dollar console in 2014, but less than 30fps for a last gen port? This is going to be a crazy year.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Are we sure the dude in the video didn't just make a mistake by saying 60fps...

What, even though the other guy discussed how he thought it was and the dev then said how smooth it looked because of the framerate?

"We're just talking about the PS4 version, right?"
"yes ..."

Reg

Banned
iyxNjydWyPsel.gif

People remember this, right? Didn't see it posted.

jonathon-blow.png

Some people gave him shit about this too.

In other words: No. No it will not.

If they downplayed 1080p over 720p they will downplay this shit too. Count on it.

Holy shit at the Jonathon Blow comment. LOL @ Gies.

And I remember when people said the difference between the two consoles wouldn't be as big as PS2/Xbox. That hardware difference is showing big time already.

Tagyhag

Ask yourself if they're going to continue to make AAA games you enjoy when you'll only pay $5.

You should be happy for those people that do think it's worth it, as they're subsidizing your CAG-A.

That's not the point, just because I can get it now for that low of a price doesn't mean I want every single AAA game to be $5, it's just looking at both editions and thinking "There is nothing here that justifies $55 extra dollars".

I used to buy PS2 remakes with 2-3 games in tow for $40. Heck, Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster is also $40 and that's not just your average "Oh bring up the res".

The Definitive Edition is a great port and I hope people enjoy it, but I will always have my belief that the only reason they're charging $60 is to capitalize on the current drought. Had it been released in 3-4 months after, it would have been $40

TyrantII

I don't understand anybody defending 720p for a 500 dollar console in 2014, but less than 30fps for a last gen port? This is going to be a crazy year.

Just wait until the rumored Titanfall resolution becomes fact.

Is there enough room in Bishs' bunker? Or are we going to be left to fend for ourselves in the resulting wasteland?

Ask yourself if they're going to continue to make AAA games you enjoy when you'll only pay $5.

You should be happy for those people that do think it's worth it, as they're subsidizing your CAG-A.

That's what I find annoying about PC gamers gloating how they never pay more than a certain amount. Then they wonder why PCs often times take a back seat to consoles. If everyone waited till the priced dropped that much, AAA games would cease to be. It's cool if you hunt for deals or you personally don't want to spend money but going around gloating about it just doesn't make sense to me

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
All I'm getting out of this is that I hope XBO is the target for all multiplats. It ensures a higher framerate on PS4.
Haha, I like your way of thinking. 60 FPS + 1080p > fancy graphical effects

dolabla

we get to play as Master Chief

All this is happening and yet I feel like the true CBOAT ass storm is yet to come.

The Boat does not lie...I feel his ass storm comment was a perpetual one for MS because of their boneheaded decisions.

Much bigger things than this I imagine.

So I guess we can just consider this the real beginnings of the MAJOR ass storm.

God Bless CBOAT!

slapnuts

30 fucking frames.

My God.

30!!!!

1080p at 60fps.

What a fucking beast of a machine.

Even my 3770K@4.6ghz, 16gb DDR3 1600mhz Ram, Sapphire 7970Ghz Edition 3GB videocard ran Tomb Raider at 1080P/60fps had occasional dips below 60fps at times...keep in mind i did have TressFX patch,etc but still, for the PS4 to just about match that performance is quite impressive, at this early in its life!

MazeHaze

Banned
I got to admit that the dogpile makes me very discouraged to be an Xbox only fan, lol.

Oh well, this is the path I've chosen. I'm a big fan of Xbox exclusives and the Xbox OS as a whole. It obviously sucks to get gimped multiplatform titles. But... nope, no but there. It sucks.

Hey man, you gotta like what you like, screw everyone else. I have no desire to ever even touch an xbone, never even owned any of the xboxes, but ps2 always got the worst version for multiplats and that system is pretty much GOAT.

TheTwelve

I'm weak in the knees....lol

Wow.

Great for PS4 owners especially if they haven't played the last gen version.
Hey man, you gotta like what you like, screw everyone else. I have no desire to ever even touch an xbone, never even owned any of the xboxes, but ps2 always got the worst version for multiplats and that system is pretty much GOAT.
No truer words than this.

The Definitive Edition is a great port and I hope people enjoy it, but I will always have my belief that the only reason they're charging $60 is to capitalize on the current drought. Had it been released in 3-4 months after, it would have been $40

Yeah, and that is how free market economies work. Apple could easily charge $100 less for each iPad, and still make a lot of money. But people are willing to pay that extra $100, so Apple prices it accordingly.

MCD

It's fine.

Xbox One is more than graphics and frame rate. What defines this generation is the ecosystem and that's what Xbox is all about in the end.

kitch9

Banned
It's fine.

Xbox One is more than graphics and frame rate. What defines this generation is the ecosystem and that's what Xbox is all about in the end.

Skype and waft?

Lol.

*Edit* Forgot tv too, I'm remembered that when I turned my TV on and watched TV on it with no Xbox attached.

TyrantII

I will always have my belief that the only reason they're charging $60 is to capitalize on the current drought. Had it been released in 3-4 months after, it would have been $40

And my point is there's nothing wrong with that. It actually is beneficial to people because they get the hardcore demand out of the way and will need to re-evaluate pricing as demand @$60 drops (IE it'll cause it to drop quicker if they're really looking to maximize revenue on this).

There's people that do value it at $60 and will pay a premium to get it soonerl. Others will wait and grab it on sale, the trade off being time. Pay for it when it hits the price thats good for you.

So whats the problem?

Skeff

Just wait until the rumored Titanfall resolution becomes fact.

Is there enough room in Bishs' bunker? Or are we going to be left to fend for ourselves in the resulting wasteland?

I try not to talk too much about Titanfall, but I do not think Resolution will be the titanfall shitstorm. When your alpha is using 25% sized textures on a system with a memory system like the XB1's, I'd expect framerate drops when quadrupling the required bandwidth for textures.

Mortemis

Banned
If he were just some dude on a forum, no one would care.

But he's in a position of influence, and that is what is so gross about his frequent inability to be impartial.

It's just sad for him really. It basically just makes me laugh at anything he says really.
Even my 3770K@4.6ghz, 16gb DDR3 1600mhz Ram, Sapphire 7970Ghz Edition 3GB videocard ran Tomb Raider at 1080P/60fps had occasional dips below 60fps at times...keep in mind i did have TressFX patch,etc but still, for the PS4 to just about match that performance is quite impressive, at this early in its life!

All hail Cerny! PS4 is a beast.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Hmm guess I missed this thread yesterday. Gonna read through it tomorrow now that its in my sub list. I feel sorry for those that were unfortunate enough to fall for the media and ms bullshit about "balance" and "cloud"and resolution not mattering. People paid big chunk of money (more in fact) for a machine that is already showing these deficits this early in the game. Damn. Glad I'm not one of them. The gap will only get bigger this is just the tip of the iceburg.

Bgamer90

Banned
So dumb. There have been devices for that like Cronus and Magic Box for generations.

Some didn't know. Plus you also had many that played multiplats on PS3 due to PSN too (free online).

Overall, there are various reasons why a person may choose one version over the other if he owns various (current) consoles. Don't like when people criticize their choice though. Pretty rude.

Soi-Fong

I try not to talk too much about Titanfall, but I do not think Resolution will be the titanfall shitstorm. When your alpha is using 25% sized textures on a system with a memory system like the XB1's, I'd expect framerate drops when quadrupling the required bandwidth for textures.

25% sized textures..? Wait what, where is this from?

harmonize

That's what I find annoying about PC gamers gloating how they never pay more than a certain amount. Then they wonder why PCs often times take a back seat to consoles. If everyone waited till the priced dropped that much, AAA games would cease to be. It's cool if you hunt for deals or you personally don't want to spend money but going around gloating about it just doesn't make sense to me
As if PS4 owners don't gloat about free PS+ offerings and used games all the time. Stop trying to cast saving money as a bad thing for consumers, especially when so many PC ports end up turning profits anyways.

Thorgi

PC gamers often buy games at full price; just take a look at the Top Sellers list on Steam when a big new game comes out.

Also, with the ridiculous budgets and stagnation in the "AAA" development scene, they SHOULD be shaken up.

As if PS4 owners don't gloat about free PS+ offerings and used games all the time. Stop trying to cast saving money as a bad thing for consumers, especially when so many PC ports end up turning profits anyways.

That too. I've seen a rash of "I'll wait till it's on Plus" comments made right to the developer, which just strikes me as rude and insensitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom