• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Definitive Edition - PlayStation 4 = ~60fps, Xbox One = ~30fps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tagyhag

I'm sceptical the PC version would hold up to the Definitive version. They changed a lot of assets and I don't remember the PC version looking that good. Can you link the comparison pictures your talking about?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97959500&postcount=133

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97148132&postcount=564

Those are video comparisons so they're not about IQ but look at edges like her shoulders and arms, they're smoother on the PC due to tessellation. (There's also that boob pic haha) Also you can see more hair threads on the first TressFX.

I think her actual body textures are better on the Definitive Edition though, even if it looks a bit "pasty". 4K textures do make a difference. (Who would have thunk)

I got to admit that the dogpile makes me very discouraged to be an Xbox only fan, lol.

Oh well, this is the path I've chosen. I'm a big fan of Xbox exclusives and the Xbox OS as a whole. It obviously sucks to get gimped multiplatform titles. But... nope, no but there. It sucks.

Yeah, pretty much my experience with the PS3, lol. Although I still had my PC for those multiplatform titles that bothered to port it. There were titles like RE5 and RDR though. Still, you won't miss what you don't know.

Mortemis

Banned
Yeah but why would you lower a score for a game that performs better at and at a higher resolution? It makes no sense but maybe he's just trolling like he usually is.

It just ruins what little credibility he has, which is really hard to have nowadays in gaming journalism I guess.

iyxNjydWyPsel.gif

lol ... but it should be AP's or major's face in the gif ...Don is out of MS and irrelevant now in these gif

Neo Ankh

Neo Member
Just get a PS4 dude.. Get multiplatforms on PS4 and exclusives on the Bone.

This is the way. Same as last gen only Sony and Microsoft switched places. I'm just glad I like the playstation controller again so it will make this new paradigm easier to accept.

ShinFuYux

Honestly, it was a fun game until I got bored with it on my PS3. What could this "definitive edition" have to convince me in rebuying the game and finishing it this time?

gogosox8

His choice. There's people that bought certain multiplats on the PS2/PS3 over the other console(s) they had simply due to controller preference.

Fair enough. Just don't understand why he would buy a game he's already 100% just for some achievements and voice commands (which the ps4 has).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Iono. I think, in the long run:

- People expecting the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 to toe so closely together haven't been paying attention. The writing has been on the wall for awhile now.
- People totally dismissing the Xbox One aren't taking into account how the system will hold up over time. That's not in defence of the current situation, but today's example does not paint a perfectly clear future.
- People thinking or expecting 1080p@60fps will be a standard on PlayStation 4 over the next few years are in for a rude awakening.

I do think it's worth considering, as noted in the article and the information I received both platforms have an unlocked framerate. Yes, the difference is massive, but you're not getting a perfectly locked 60fps on PlayStation 4, nor are you getting a perfectly locked 30fps on Xbox One. It will fluctuate. Info seems to indicate those numbers are the most common though, I think. Xbox One can hit 45fps, it's just super contextual to the scene and only when there's really not much going on.

And in either case, the game is native 1080p. That might not mean much, but we know the Xbox One has issues with native 1920x1080 games. In this case the team handling the port clearly felt getting 1080p up and running smoothly on Xbox One alongside PlayStation 4 was more beneficial than crunching the resolution down to 720p for a framerate boost. End of the day, Tomb Raider Definitive Edition's main goal is to show off the improved assets, scene density, special effects, and image quality over the last generation. Both at 1080p does a better job of that than one at 720p.

KoopaTheCasual

I got to admit that the dogpile makes me very discouraged to be an Xbox only fan, lol.

Oh well, this is the path I've chosen. I'm a big fan of Xbox exclusives and the Xbox OS as a whole. It obviously sucks to get gimped multiplatform titles. But... nope, no but there. It sucks.
Don't feel bad, dude. Your box will have exclusives unplayable elsewhere. That alone makes your investment worthwhile. We're not really going "haha Xbone!" here. We're just sort of in disbelief that the gap is this big this early on. o__o

Tagyhag

Yeah, and that is how free market economies work. Apple could easily charge $100 less for each iPad, and still make a lot of money. But people are willing to pay that extra $100, so Apple prices it accordingly.

They're totally allowed to do it and I won't judge anyone for buying it because people value things differently. But just like most Apple products, I will always say that they are overpriced.

And my point is there's nothing wrong with that. It actually is beneficial to people because they get the hardcore demand out of the way and will need to re-evaluate pricing as demand @$60 drops (IE it'll cause it to drop quicker if they're really looking to maximize revenue on this).

There's people that do value it at $60 and will pay a premium to get it soonerl. Others will wait and grab it on sale, the trade off being time. Pay for it when it hits the price thats good for you.

So whats the problem?

Yeah, completely understandable as to WHY they did it, but as a consumer I'll voice my concern that they're charging more for the product than they should, but I won't try and stop anyone from buying it.

Cipherr

Well now, you mean the situation ALL of us saw coming a loooong time ago is actually happening? Ya dont saaaaaaaaaaaay.

So wild reading some of those tweets man. There was just no excuse for not seeing this coming. More powerful hardware that isn't a pain in the rear to utilize is going to equal better ports. Whether or not the gap is maintained or widens throughout the gen is sort of irrelevant IMO. A gap like this is large and noticeable and isn't going to be overcome through magic.

There's no FX chip to save them.

TyrantII

- People expecting the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 to toe so closely together haven't been paying attention. The writing has been on the wall for awhile now.
- People totally dismissing the Xbox One aren't taking into account how the system will hold up over time. That's not in defence of the current situation, but today's example does not paint a perfectly clear future.
- People thinking or expecting 1080p@60fps will be a standard on PlayStation 4 over the next few years are in for a rude awakening.

I do think it's worth considering, as noted in the article and the information I received both platforms have an unlocked framerate. Yes, the difference is massive, but you're not getting a perfectly locked 60fps on PlayStation 4, nor are you getting a perfectly locked 30fps on Xbox One. It will fluctuate. Info seems to indicate those numbers are the most common though, I think. Xbox One can hit 45fps, it's just super contextual to the scene and only when there's really not much going on.

And in either case, the game is native 1080p. That might not mean much, but we know the Xbox One has issues with native 1920x1080 games. In this case the team handling the port clearly felt getting 1080p up and running smoothly on Xbox One alongside PlayStation 4 was more beneficial than crunching the resolution down to 720p for a framerate boost. End of the day, Tomb Raider Definitive Edition's main goal is to show off the improved assets, scene density, special effects, and image quality over the last generation. Both at 1080p does a better job of that than one at 720p.

yup yup and yup

I worry what next gen is going to hold. You know they'll be wanting to address 4K, but costs to pump out 4K GFX are going to be high still.

It's going to be the 5th and 7th gen all over again. Where underpowered consoles are going to be trying to render too much just to claim UHD! UHD!

nib95

Banned

Good post. On a side note, and I know many will disagree, I think it's better they went 1080p/30fps for the Xbox One version over 720p/60fps. Having 1-1 pixel mapping on a big HDTV does make a difference. More than when viewed on a smaller monitor, depending on viewing distances and screen size of course.

I can't say I'm shocked at this news. I think this will all depend on the lead platform for each game. Below are the scenarios I imagine will happen in the future.

Games that are targeting 1080p 30fps on XB1 will be 1080p 60fps on PS4 (TR).

Games that are targeting 1080p 60fps on PS4 will be 720p 60fps on XB1 (CoD).

Games that are targeting 1080p 30fps on PS4 will be 900p 30fps on XB1 (ACIV).

Games targeting 1080p 30fps on both consoles will have less special effects on the XB1 version (NFS).

I'm curious to see if this holds up.

It should. Lead platform meant a lot more when developers were dealing with asymmetrical hardware. Now it's more or less homogenous design, but with a raw unequivocal difference. 18cu vs 12cu should of been the end of any debate. If a PS4 version isn't outperforming, it's gimped.

MazeHaze

Banned
To be fair though, I didn't even know that framerate was a big deal until I found video game forums. Lots of games dipped low as fuck in frames all my life and it didn't really bother me, just figured it was something everybody accepted.

That being said, I'm really stoked to pick this up on PS4 now, never got around to buying it for PS3, and it will be very nice to play it with pretty graphics and a higher framerate!

Bgamer90

Banned
The Definitive Edition is a great port and I hope people enjoy it, but I will always have my belief that the only reason they're charging $60 is to capitalize on the current drought. Had it been released in 3-4 months after, it would have been $40

Don't think it has to do with the "drought" (I don't even think there's a game drought but that's just my opinion).

Think the $60 price is due to the lower userbase of the Xbox One and PS4 on top of them probably feeling like many people who already played the game on 360/PS3 wouldn't want to go through it again which further lowers the number of people who would potentially get the game.

IN&OUT

Banned
Hahahaha

PS4 is fucking beast, 1080p/60fps with tressfx?!

In your face Xbox/Penello/ nelson / Xbox OT/ polygon/Gies.

I have always knew that the difference is huge...I mean numbers was laid down almost 1 year ago, but doubters are gonna doubt.

kitch9

Banned
I have to eat some crow, yet again. I knew there would be differences between the consoles but I said there would probably never be a 60/30 split and here we are.

I would have been happy with 30fps for this with the visual enhancements and never expected it to even be able to get close to 60 at 1080p on PS4 with TressFX enabled. PS4 keeps surprising me with how capable it is for the hardware inside, even this early on. We're already getting performance and visuals at the level I was expecting in the middle of then gen with more powerful hardware than what we ended up getting. We're going to see some serious shit come out of that box.

The Xbox is nerfed at the hardware and software level. People need to realise that.

demolitio

What you said. I typed some of this in the other thread, but I'll just add that while I don't think this is obviously going to be the standard on PS4, it's definitely going to be interesting as we progress further into this generation and more and more developers try to push the boundaries. If the gap is already there on the early games without diving into the big advantages even more, it's going to be interesting to see how things play out and which developers go for pushing the strongest system instead of playing it safe and having parity in their games.

The power difference is there, now it's whether the developers think it's worth it. I can't wait to see what the future brings us once GPU compute becomes more common and we start getting some crazy physics and shit since that pushes the boundaries more than subtle post-processing effects.

While not every game will be a 60/30 scenario for the X1, it does paint the picture of the future when we're already seeing this happen on semi-next-gen games (didn't know what else to call it but you know what I mean). A lot of people never even expected a 60/30 scenario to be possible yet it's the case here although resolution will be the most prominent of the bunch I imagine. Hell, I'm just happy some games are hitting these numbers since image quality is the main thing I wanted out of next-gen and 1080p was a must. Good looking 720p games will be acceptable if handled well, but I don't want it to be commonplace on all games since it's a big part of "next-gen" for me as a PC/console gamer.

Mortemis

Banned

1080@60 is probably going to be a case by case or game by game thing, but I really hope most can get there. It's probably to much to ask of CDPR to make the Witcher 3 that, but I'm hopeful that Sony devs like ND, SSM, etc will be able to hit that, and that's what matters to me tbh.

TyrantII

Yeah, completely understandable as to WHY they did it, but as a consumer I'll voice my concern that they're charging more for the product than they should, but I won't try and stop anyone from buying it.

Fair enough. In a day of $100-200 special editions I can't complain. Even more so for remembering purchasing $80 N64 carts in 1999 dollars. Thats $114 adjusted to today.

We have it pretty damn good. Quality / quantity is up, cost to us is way down.

Tabular

Banned
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97959500&postcount=133

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97148132&postcount=564

Those are video comparisons so they're not about IQ but look at edges like her shoulders and arms, they're smoother on the PC due to tessellation. (There's also that boob pic haha) Also you can see more hair threads on the first TressFX.

I think her actual body textures are better on the Definitive Edition though, even if it looks a bit "pasty". 4K textures do make a difference. (Who would have thunk)

They are closer than I expected but the low quality captures makes for a difficult comparison here. The boobs are lower tessellation but the straps are identical maybe even smoother on Definitive. I look forward to the comparisons next week.

yup yup and yup

I worry what next gen is going to hold. You know they'll be wanting to address 4K, but costs to pump out 4K GFX are going to be high still.

It's going to be the 5th and 7th gen all over again. Where underpowered consoles are going to be trying to render too much just to claim UHD! UHD!

Both consoles are not capable of 4k in the practical sense. We may get some 2D game that might be 4k, but don't expect any big budget 3D title to be.

nynt9

If this power gap keeps up (the hardware numbers indicate that it might), MS is going to need to moneyhat a lot of exclusives and deals/marketing to keep up.

Just because they redid things does not mean that the game is technically better in all respects to the PC version, as shown clearly by the lack of tessellation.
The Executive Producer(Scot Amos) did mention tessellation in the stream
when he was talking about the ocean by the beach.

I just assumed we'd gravitate to 720p because it would offer the best balance of resolution, asset quality and affects. You want global illumination and particle effects out the wazoo? Gotta pay for it in resolution.

demolitio

I truly feel sorry for Penello.

DirectX will save them. Clearly this game doesn't use anything like that because it'd be a different story otherwise. :D

I feel bad for him for what he had to convince people of on here but he approached it the wrong way. Admit your weaknesses once while outlining your advantages to some people instead of insisting on feeding people bullshit.

Vilifier

Neo Member
I like to read all about technology and have been following xbox1/ps4 threads even though I may not get either one of them anytime soon.

It is so hard to believe that with the billion dollars Microsoft put into customising and tweaking xbox1 hardware, that they got so soundly beaten by Sony for the performance crown. The only hope Microsoft has, is if the newer game engines have optimisations for its architecture and close the gap in performance, because last gen titles are clearly in PS4's favour by a significant margin.

Card Boy

Banned
If you guys want a good laugh read the Xbox One subreddit.

Ever since its announcement it has been absolutely blasted on SonyGAF, saying it was a pathetic moneygrab and that they weren't interested in it, yet all of a sudden now 75% of them are saying they're going to buy it on PS4 purely because of the framerate difference lol.

They went from "Not gonna buy" to "definitely going to buy on PS4 on day one!!! omg game of the year!!!" just because it's now come out that its framerate is higher on the PS4.

never change SonyGAF.

haha

How have they turned? Sony had the most powerful console both gens.

multiplats most of the time where better on 360.

Well I almost missed this train... this thread is flying fast!

something something....30fps is better for control input than 60fps...something something
that pretty much sums it up

lol did he really try to say such things? I personally feel he has little understanding of what he speaks, but holy smokes.... I wouldn't even expect him to say that. He has to be trolling by now, no one in his position in the industry can be this naive.

Tagyhag

Fair enough. In a day of $100-200 special editions I can't complain. Even more so for remembering purchasing $80 N64 carts in 1999 dollars. Thats $114 adjusted to today.

We have it pretty damn good. Quality / quantity is up, cost to us is way down.
Oh yeah, in the large scale of things, gaming has never been cheaper. People who think "Oh in the good old days, games only cost $50!" don't take inflation into account.

TyrantII

I just assumed we'd gravitate to 720p because it would offer the best balance of resolution, asset quality and affects. You want global illumination and particle effects out the wazoo? Gotta pay for it in resolution.

720P on 1:1 pixel mapped 1080P screen = no bueno

I'd take slighter less tech going on for clear IQ, but I know devs and publishers mostly want to stress the boundaries with flash bang gfx effects.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I applaud them for not keeping a common denominator, holding one system back, just to say they are equal.

I will support devs like this with my money.

Atlas157

How have they turned? Sony had the most powerful console both gens.

But it was also the more expensive system and the system that's more difficult to develop for because of the Cell.

This generation, the PS4 is cheaper, more powerful, and easier to develop for.

nib95

Banned
I wonder what Richard Leadbetter thinks about all this? We did tell him his Digital Foundry comparisons and Microsoft regurgitated PR articles were completely off point. Really bizarre when ordinary forum posters are sometimes more logical in tech theory and maths compared to actual supposed experts in the field. Though granted some posters on here do actually work in the field. Oh well..

Hopefully this entire last year shows many journalists (who I feel sometimes downplay forums like this) that GAF isn't just a forum full of whiney ignorant posters (though we have that too lol), and in fact, looking past that we have numerous well versed people who in my ways are more in tune and on point with such things compared to actual journalists, tech types and PR people that write for actual tent pole gaming sites or otherwise.

You were better off and better informed reading the GAF tech comparison threads and general threads about these two new consoles than you were reading about them elsewhere, even on gaming sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom