• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider PC Performance Thread

Bricky

3 questions:

Are the graphics better than Uncharted 2-3? Does Lara look better than Drake graphically

On PC the IQ is alot better than Uncharted. That not considered they both look really good. Uncharted looks a little bit better imo, certainly if you keep in mind that they managed to do some very impressive stuff even with the limited power of the PS3.

And Lara looks great with lots of details, but the animation and escpecially the facial expressions can't match those of Nathan Drake's. They're smooth and good-looking, but not THAT smooth and good looking.

Whats considered a good fps?

Everything 30+. I'm not a hardcore 60 FPS-fan, but I'm prefering it alot to 30 FPS in this game. Some games just feel alot better with 60FPS, and this is one of them. Besides; not such a big difference between ultimate and high if your graphics card can't handle 60FPS at ultimate, and high should run just fine on any modern gaming PC.

Eideka

Banned
Whats considered a good fps?

That's subjective, 30fps is fine by me for instance but some folks have higher standards when it comes to smoothness.

Are the graphics better than Uncharted 2-3? Does Lara look better than Drake graphically?
On PC ? Yes.

From the high res PC thread :
iykO9XJLeoiAh.png

Spazznid's shot.

mxgt

Banned
Performance is generally pretty good for me, solid 60fps almost all the time. Only played about an hour and a half though.

playing at 1440p with 2x GTX 670 and i5 2500k @ 4.4ghz

no tess because it caused me to crash and that silly hair thing, rest is max.

The closer the camera is in, the worse it gets - during the in-game cinematics it goes down to about 10-20 fps (just guessing here) when there are close-ups, during normal gameplay it's barely a difference compared to TressFX off. I'm far from being any kind of expert, but I get the feeling a bit of optimizing can help a lot here.

Running on said 6850, Phenom X4 BE and 8 Gigabytes (dammit) of RAM, and I honestly did not expect this running so well on high + TFX. Cinematic stuttering is kind of annoying, mostly since the difference is so harsh, but it's far from game breaking :)

Oh, and I had some crashes, too - 2 times, both during cinematics, both no problem the second time through.

Oh I have very similar specs so dosn't sound so bad as I expected on the first place. I hope with newer drivers and some configuartion can run better.

Jtrizzy

Getting decent framerates with my 2600k@4.2 and 580, but I'm stuck on a 1360x768 screen at the moment. I have everything maxed including tessellation and tressfx. There are some pretty severe dips, but nothing that makes me want to lock it at 30. I am staying close to 60 mostly. need to try some different v sync options though, as it is tearing at times.

Oh and if anyone has the game load to a black screen from Steam, close Afterburer, then alt tab out to restart once you are in game.

4th crash. I think the crashes are happening in between transitions of story/island segments. As I can reload and it picks up right were I left off with no problems.

Mononoke

Banned
4th crash. I think the crashes are happening in between transitions of story/island segments. As I can reload and it picks up right were I left off with no problems.

Started getting these. You are right it happens in transition segments. So frustrating. What sucks is I'm getting great performance at max. It's almost as if these transition parts overload. I'm wondering what setting I can lower to see if it stops the crashes. Maybe tessalation?

Salaadin

Have they said anything about the tesselation crashes for nvidia users yet?? Im assuming no since the game isnt even out yet but just wondering.

nbthedude

Anyone in here with a 690GTX and 3770k? What kind of performance can I expect?

You might be able to scrap by but that is a pretty shitty set up. /sarcasm.

Nearly every new game thread these kinds of comments spring up. You have the fastest videocard and one of the fastest processors on the market. what kind of performance do you think you are going to get? At least you could find a more subtle way to flash your PC wang.

Mononoke

Banned
One thing I've noticed, if you jump back and forth between menu and game sometimes fps drops really low and won't recover. I had this happen after upgrading my skills at a campfire. So I quit my game entirely and reloaded it and fps was 75 in that area again.

So if anyone has a sudden low fps drop, it might not be the area you are in. Exit the game entirely and see if your FPS returns to full. Obviously make sure you see a save before doing it.

Edit: I don't mean exit to menu. Close the game entirely.

Varna

You might be able to scrap by but that is a pretty shitty set up. /sarcasm.

Nearly every new game thread these kinds of comments spri g ip. At least you could find a more subtle way to flash your PC wang.

Hey I'm serious. Even this setup wasn't able to get a consistent 60 FPS in Far Cry 3 with everything max. Same is true for Crysis 3 and just skimming the last few pages for people with 670/680 SLI setups and it looks to be true for this one as well. Though it looks like it might be something that a new driver set could really help with.

antitrop

Hey I'm serious. Even this setup wasn't able to get a consistent 60 FPS in Far Cry 3 with everything max. Same is true for Crysis 3 and just skimming the last few pages for people with 670/680 SLI setups and it looks to be true for this one as well. Though it looks like it might be something that a new driver set could really help with.
You'll get locked 60 easy, probably even with TressFX on.

surly

Banned
I just tried to run the game for the first time and all I get is: -

"Failed to initialize Direct3D with current settings"

The joys of PC gaming.

Anyone got any idea what's causing that?

haikira

670 SLI here. I was having crashes and massive frame rate drops. I took the advice and turned off tessellation and now the game is running like a dream. Just played for more than two hours, without a single problem to report. Running the game completely maxed at 1080p, except for tessellation and TressFX and getting a solid locked 60. Next time i boot the game up, i'll try for 1440p.

EDIT: Forgot to also mention, AA is only FXAA.

nOoblet16

That's subjective, 30fps is fine by me for instance but some folks have higher standards when it comes to smoothness.

On PC ? Yes.

From the high res PC thread :
]
Spazznid's shot.

TressFX aside, the game isn't better than UC3 as far as rendering tech goes. Lara is more detailed but then it was expected, Drake isn't even the most detailed model in Uncharted in the first place.
I'm pretty sure that if you simply up UC3's rendering res it'll easily obliterate TR in looks (keeping in mind how the supersampled UC3 promo shots look)....but yes UC3 has smaller play area in general.

Jtrizzy

I just tried to run the game for the first time and all I get is: -

"Failed to initialize Direct3D with current settings"

The joys of PC gaming.

Anyone got any idea what's causing that?

do you have afterburner running or any other on screen display type programs? If so, close them and see if that helps.

Protip guys, game wouldnt load for me. Kept saying cannot initialise directx. On the eidos forums it says this is cause your card doesnt meet the specs (my 560ti 2GB doent meed the specs?? wut??), but its jsut cause of having 'fullscreen' and 'exclusive fullscreen' ticked.

Also, 560ti 2gb, Q6600, 8GB ram, running ultimate settings @ about 30-50 fps.

VashTS

for real, any impressions from a 7850?

Running an i5 760 (OC to 3.6) and HIS IceQ 7850 OCed. Everything max on 1440 x 900 = around 45 -60 fps avg. There are a few drops to 30s when in cutscenes close to lara.

Game is totally playable on 7850 though.

2500K @ 4.5
GTX690 Slightly OC'd running 314.14 Driver
1600p
Ultimate - except "high precision" off

Played for about 40mins, no crashes at all, SLI scaling perfectly.

55-60fps 90% of the time I'd say.

iavi

Gigabyte GTX 670
16GB of Corsair RAM
Samsung SSD 830
Windows 8

All the latest drivers and stuff are installed. Other games work fine.

Should be fine with those. Like somebody before me mentioned, a third-party app like afterburner or fraps may be messing it up. Try turning off some instances running in the back and see if that does it.

That usually fixes most issues of mine

x3sphere

Single GTX Titan results using the built-in benchmark run

2560x1600, everything maxed FXAA, tessellation ON and tessFX ON

Average: 30.5 FPS

2560x1600, everything maxed FXAA, tessellation ON and tessFX OFF

Average: 42.9 FPS

2560x1600, everything maxed FXAA, tessellation OFF and tessFX OFF

Average: 44.9 FPS

2560x1600, everything maxed 2xSSAA tessellation ON and tessFX OFF

Average: 30.5 FPS

surly

Banned
Protip guys, game wouldnt load for me. Kept saying cannot initialise directx. On the eidos forums it says this is cause your card doesnt meet the specs (my 560ti 2GB doent meed the specs?? wut??), but its jsut cause of having 'fullscreen' and 'exclusive fullscreen' ticked.
Thanks man, this fixed it for me. Unchecking "exclusive fullscreen" was all I did and now it's OK.

Bigjelly

Banned
I have an Nvida 570GTX and noticed that on Ultra on a I7 2600 with 8 gigs ram (not PS4 ram :) ) that I got alot of chuggyness in the cut-scenes. I lowered the settings to custom and set the AA to 8x and turned off stupid hair extensions and it plays about 45-50 fps smoothly. Hoping a patch will come out to improve that even more to get me to 60fps on highest settings.

statham

Running an i5 760 (OC to 3.6) and HIS IceQ 7850 OCed. Everything max on 1440 x 900 = around 45 -60 fps avg. There are a few drops to 30s when in cutscenes close to lara.

good to hear, do you have tessellation on?

VashTS

Yep, with tessellation on and everything. Not sure what "High Precision option" does, but it costs a few frames with no real difference. I am also running with FXAA. Playing the game downscaled from 2560 x 1600 runs around 20-30 fps which isn't too bad either.

I'm sure the game will run great with a few driver updates. ( running 13.2 beta 6 currently) Though the frequent crashes need to be fixed asap.

5th crash I've had. This time it wasn't in a story transition. Just random. Bummer.

Those that have it officially unlocked in their region, would you be so kind as to let us know as there are some of us that have it unlocked via VPN and would be unaware if there was a patch that addressed some of these release day issues. Thanks!

leng jai

My game won't even start up on my 570. Updated to the latest drivers and still no dice. Game crashes instantly upon starting every time.

imjust1n

Banned
is this game playable on amd HD 6770 ? 1GB Gddr5 I dont care about frame rate and which is better I just wanna know if this game is gonna give me serious issues on my card?

Czigga

Tress FX on or off? I have almost identical system (i7-860 @ 3.8, 7850 2gb). And tesselation?

and is tessellation just for the hair?

TressFX is the new hair thing; it's separate from tessellation

Top Bottom