• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider PC Performance Thread

Well something does not add up:

Got same rig as my friend, i got weaker CPU, he have i7, 4.5ghz

Mine is i5 3570k on 4.3, 8gig ram, 7970 1050/1450

I got 50+ FPS with TressFX + SSAAx4, he can get only 25-30 same settings (bigger clock on GPU)

When I turn off "exclusive fullscreen" my fps goes down to 32 :s

And every time i quit the game, it wont save my settings, i need to change to SSAA every single time.

Without TressFX and with FXAA 80+ fps both PCs

JackyD

Neo Member
I can't start the game due to the "Failed to initialize Direct3D with current settings" error which is related to the "exclusive full screen" option being on by default.
OTOH I can neither turn that option off as the launcher crashes as soon as I want to access the options menu and I'm unable to find an *.ini file for the game on my comp.

Would anybody be so kind to provide me with his *.ini file so I can set the option to off in there and hopefully launch the game that way?

any help would be greatly appreciated

It took me a while to get the thing to launch on my 3DTV, but I finally did. All you muppets who were asking me why I need a 7970 for 720p will be interested to know that at 1080p with TressFX on (and FOV and 3D off), I average about 55 fps in the bench, and at 720p with 3D and TressFX on (and FOV off still), I average about 45 fps in the bench.

So now you know. It looks good in 3D, but the scale on the depth slider is insane (and the 'strength' slider, is really the convergence slider). I've got it on one or two notches about the minimum, with convergence wiggled to put Lara at about screen depth. I'll play it some more later, right now I just played through to the title screen (and her hair is blowing the same way as the flags in that same location there).

I'll probably leave tress fx on, unless her anti hair shoulders start bothering me too much. I like the aesthetics of the hair much more, even if the physics isn't quite as good (again, mainly because of the crazy collision mapping which will hopefully get fixed).

Sweetfx enabled looks amazing on here. I get 40-60fps with some dips to mid 30s @ 1920x1080 on a 550TI oc'd, FX4100 and 8GB RAM.

crabman

for real, any impressions from a 7850?

Phenon II X4 965 @ 3.8
Sapphire Radeon 7850 @ 1100/1350 MHz
8 GB
Win7
1680x1050

Ultimate - with SSAO off. Gameplay is around 40 - 60 fps avg.(vsync is on)
hMTRHc8.jpg

6th crash I've had now, this timing coming out of a tomb. The only difference this time was that it was a driver crash. Well, at least that is what the prompt that came up said.

So I've had 5 crashes due to game(?) and one due to drivers(?)

Argh....It blows, because you can see how much fun this should be, but being marred by these technical issues really sucks. Nixxes is usually better than this.

Dave_6

Ugh, haven't even got all the parts for my build yet and the 4GB 670 I do have seems like it won't run some of these new games very well (at least from what I can tell reading this thread) :/

JohngPR

I can't start the game due to the "Failed to initialize Direct3D with current settings" error which is related to the "exclusive full screen" option being on by default.
OTOH I can neither turn that option off as the launcher crashes as soon as I want to access the options menu and I'm unable to find an *.ini file for the game on my comp.

Would anybody be so kind to provide me with his *.ini file so I can set the option to off in there and hopefully launch the game that way?

any help would be greatly appreciated

Are you using D3DOverrider? If so close it. I had to in order for the game to run.

Ugh, haven't even got all the parts for my build yet and the 4GB 670 I do have seems like it won't run some of these new games very well (at least from what I can tell reading this thread) :/

A 4 gb 670 will run this quite well actually. It's that nixxes needs to address the CTD issues. You will literally be going along at 60fps and then *BAM* CTD. Nvidia will almost certainly put out performance drivers as well.

JackyD

Neo Member
Are you using D3DOverrider? If so close it. I had to in order for the game to run.

Nope I've closed every additional tool I had running. Every overlay, fraps, everything.

As I stated the game itself crashing is related to the "exclusive full-screen" mode which I can't turn off as my options menu crashes as soon as I try to launch it.

DSN2K

fuck TressFX, it murders performance and doesn't look that impressive imo.

Also playing with 7850 + Phenom II 955...ultra settings at 1080p it jumps a fair amount from 30-60fps

So if I have this straight from people's experiences in this topic, when the game unlocks for me tonight I should turn off TressFX and tessellation until further notice?

So if I have this straight from people's experiences in this topic, when the game unlocks for me tonight I should turn off TressFX and tessellation until further notice?

And mentally prepare yourself for crashes. But yes, turn off TressFX and Tessellation if you are on Nvidia at least.

x3sphere

Um, weird... alt-tabbing really screwed up my performance. I just restarted and getting 50-60 FPS at 2560x1600, 2xSSAA on my Titan. Only TressFX is off. Before I was getting like 30 average

I play with both tressfx and tess and avg 45 fps on ultimate. I am running an i5 3570, 7970 and 8 gigs of ram.

the cost of beautiful hair is 20 fps, but so worth it

Zeth

If you're using a single Nvidia card, yes probably. I don't think the AMD cards take nearly as big a performance hit. Also just try it out, some people don't like it, others do.

7th crash I've had now. Holy Hell is this becoming unbearable. This time it was just in the middle of a firefight out of nowhere. I am really annoyed right now.

7th crash I've had now. Holy Hell is this becoming unbearable. This time it was just in the middle of a firefight out of nowhere. I am really annoyed right now.

You should probably just take a break and wait for some kind of a fix or patch. This is clearly making the experience far too negative, and a waste of time.

It's running like a dream on my GTX 680, until the sudden, jarring crashes that occur every 10 minutes or so. I think I'm going to stop playing this until they patch it. It looks amazing.

golem

670 GTX here.. only 1 crash so far in 2-3 hours of play. Everything maxed except AA, which is forced through Nvidia Inspector, card is overclocked too. 314.14 betas.

Mononoke

Banned
I got this whenever I turned AA on. If I turned AA off it was fine.

I got this earlier on. I had FXAA set on in the menu. While playing I tried turning AA off to see if I could get a bump in performance and this hair thing happened. I turned FXAA back on and it went back to normal.

I think the issue is messing with AA when you are in game - not whether its on or off. Just my theory.

VashTS

Waiting on some kind of fix. Shot a lantern over two enemies and was ready for that satisfying feel. CRASH. Thanks game.

TheExodu5

Banned
What the heck does high precision do? Can't even really tell watching the benchmark, and I get 15fps for turning it off.

Also, does anyone else get artifacting on Lara's face with tesselation on?

ref

Tessellation off seemed to help with the crashing. Not too much difference playing anyways. It is also a damn FPS hog.

I've been playing with everything maxed (except High Precision turned off, no idea what this does, huge fps increase) with FXAA and TressFX and been getting solid 60 FPS during gameplay (granted, I'm not very far in, so who knows what other areas perform like) (dips to 50's in certain areas/when aiming). Cutscenes on the other hand, chug around 25-30 because of the close ups of Lara and TressFX.

This is with a 670, OC

It's running at a pretty damn close to stable 60FPS on my rMBP at 1280x800 on the High setting.

16MB RAM
nVidia GT 650M 1GB RAM
i7 2.6 GHz

Game is fucking beautiful.

stufte

Man, super disappointed with TressFX. Her bangs look great, but whenever her ponytail flops around on her back it just looks wrong and spazzy. I'm turning it off for now.

Anilusion

Game is running great on my overclocked 7950.

ALL MAXED WITH FXAA ON, TRESS OFF
UmGOJwu.jpg

ALL MAXED WITH FXAA ON, TRESS ON
Hg0CsHI.jpg

System specs:

AMD 7950 @ 1040 Core, 1560 Mem - 13.2 Beta 7 Driver
AMD 1090t @ 3.9Ghz
8GB 1600Mhz RAM
Windows 7

stufte

I just tried to run the game for the first time and all I get is: -

"Failed to initialize Direct3D with current settings"

The joys of PC gaming.

Anyone got any idea what's causing that?

So I un-ticked the "Exclusive Full-screen" in the options before running it and that did it. Then, turned it on again while in-game and it'll continue to work and get a nice performance boost as well. At least it worked for me, try it yourself.

dmr87

1080p with 2x SSAA if pretty much butter smooth, though it looks like a blurred mess on my native 1440p monitor. Increasing the resolution to 1440p makes it more unstable, like 35-60 fps. The SLI support seems a bit wonky (GPU usage dropping to around 60% here and there) and we need some patching so I'm going to take it slow until we get some more info on drivers/game patches. And yes, tesselation crashes my game too.

I've only played for like 30 mintues but I'll mess around some more tomorrow.

2500k 4,5ghz
2x 670

Anyway, if I can't get the game to run pretty much flawlessly at 1440p I'll just play on my TV at 1080p with the settings cranked up.

What is Exclusive Fullscreen? Anyway will I be able to play this on Steam in 3 hours or do I have to wait until 12AM Western time?

Played somewhat further in and I'm happy with my settings. It looks great in 3D, really great. This will definitely be my new 'show off' game, what with it's great graphics, 3D support and 7.1 surround sound. It really demonstrates what all my kit can do.

Happy happy. The game is pretty fun too. Definately less linear and more explorative than the Uncharted series. I don't mind the lack of platforming. Tomb Raider was about exploring for me, rather than jumping about.

What is Exclusive Fullscreen? Anyway will I be able to play this on Steam in 3 hours or do I have to wait until 12AM Western time?

not entirely sure, but you don't get to choose your refresh rate or play in 3D if the game isn't set to exclusive full screen. I can't launch the game in exclusive 3D on my 3DTV for some reason, so I have to switch it back to windowed before I quit, which is a tolerable workaround and if I forget I can just open it up on my regular monitor and put it to windowed there.

hopefully they fix it soon, however. good luck everyone! i hope it runs well enough for all of you. I'm very happy with how it runs for me.

Top Bottom