• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider PC Performance Thread

I just upgraded my GTX 550 TI to a radeon 7870 and my oh my was it worth it. I can crank up the game to ultimate settings at 1440P with TressFX and SweetFX with 30-40 fps.

RedSwirl

Man, seeing this game run at 60fps while playing it with a 360 controller reminds me how much I miss 60fps console games. It's just so rare that I get to see games with modern graphics running at 60fps. It's like, this is what current gen games were actually supposed to look like.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/10674

- Fixed problem with Mountaineer, Sure-Shot, and Demolition outfits not properly unlocking when no other DLC is installed.
- Fixed TressFX Hair not being able to be turned on, on some machines, when using AMD Eyefinity or NVIDIA Surround.
- Significant performance improvements in CPU limited areas, for example in Shanty Town. (This is the same fix we have previously exposed to users on forums with the MulticoreFlushMode registry key).
- Fixed water polygons randomly disappearing on Intel graphics hardware.
- Fix problem with English VO setting when playing in Japanese not properly being remembered after a restart.
- Minor UI improvements.

As they said before: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=53242458&postcount=2313 you can expect up to 50% higher performance in CPU limited areas. Now the setting is enabled for everyone.

Hi folks!

I bought the game on GMG yesterday and wanted to share my performance for all you who own a fairly old machine.

My specs:

Core 2 Duo E6600 overclocked to 3.2GHz (original: 2.4GHz)
8GB RAM
XFX Radeon 7850 2GB 975MHz clock
1920x1200 resolution
Win 7 x64 SP1 with all the latest updates
Catalyst 13.4

So it's a fairly old machine but it has a new graphics card. I can run most of the newest games on 50-60fps at High-ish settings (takes a little tweaking).

So here are the Tomb Raider results:

TR settings:

mieRN68.jpg

unTLal6.jpg

Screenshots and results:

I'm really impressed with how my machine is holding up with these new games. I'll upgrade to Haswell later this year, but this is still impressive for a C2D machine. :)

Hope this helped.

Hi folks!

I bought the game on GMG yesterday and wanted to share my performance for all you who own a fairly old machine.

My specs:

Core 2 Duo E6600 overclocked to 3.2GHz (original: 2.4GHz)
8GB RAM
XFX Radeon 7850 2GB 975MHz clock
1920x1200 resolution
Win 7 x64 SP1 with all the latest updates
Catalyst 13.4

So it's a fairly old machine but it has a new graphics card. I can run most of the newest games on 50-60fps at High-ish settings (takes a little tweaking).

So here are the Tomb Raider results:

TR settings:

mieRN68.jpg

unTLal6.jpg

Screenshots and results:

I'm really impressed with how my machine is holding up with these new games. I'll upgrade to Haswell later this year, but this is still impressive for a C2D machine. :)

Hope this helped.
Nice! It most likely run even better with AA off. Man, what a push you gave that C2D.

Nice! It most likely run even better with AA off. Man, what a push you gave that C2D.

I'll try to play with the settings to get the best graphics while keeping it above 50fps. I'm not keeping my hopes up, though. ;)

As far as C2D goes, it's a great overclocker. Fairly easy TBH, I just raised the FSB to get to 3.2. No voltage raising necessary (for >3.2GHz it needs to be done).
Air cooled. Sits at around 50-55 degrees C.
xP1hV4S.png

teokrazia

CPU: i5 2500K@default
RAM: 8 GB DDR3
GPU: GTX 670 Windoforce 3x (320.14 nVidia drivers)

1080p, everything maxed, no TressFX, FXAA:
AQxcu5u.jpg

Performances seem pretty sweet.

Now it's only a matter to find the will to play it.

[bought some weeks ago and never gone over the first half hour :p]

dEvAnGeL

the latest patch and nvidia drivers finally makes the game playable at a stable 60fps with almost everything on max, only tressfx and high precision are off, everything else on max and i have backtrack to the places the game was dropping frames heavily and its all good now

Alienware X51 Gtx660

Ultimate 1920x1200 26 43 34
Ultimate 1680x1050 29 50 36
Ultimate 1200x800 30 60 50
Ultra 1920x1200 45 60 53
Custom 1920x1200 59 60 60

From the benchmark in ultra you basically get 60fps in ultra (without tressfx) but it sometimes dropped to 45 but it looked fantastic, Tressfx kills performance remember Tesselation and all that are enabled in ultra so the fancy hair costs you 25-34 fps over Ultra :0 its perfectly playable at 1680x1050 with Tressfx but 60fps is much nicer than having the hair effects.

The Custom Setting allows the system to get an almost constant 60, it dipped to 59 in the benchmark but I dont think you could even see it lol
54058022.jpg

Dizzy

Banned
Just tried it, my framerate didn't get hurt in shanty town with detail set to ultra. :)

Anyone know if tessellation still crashes the game?

CPU:i5-3570k at Default Clock speeds
RAM:DDR3 1444Mhz(I think)
GPU: AMD HD 7850 1GB OC to 1110Mhz GPU and 1300Mhz Memory with 13.4 drivers.

Settings in-game:
tombraidersettings1pbuar.png

tombraidetadvancedsetrkuks.png

Performance:
tombraider2013-05-251ntusj.png

Some Screens:

I really like this PC as it is performs pretty well for what I paid.
$520 on the whole PC
I do wish I got the 2GB version though, but in maybe two years there should be a good amount of cards that have much more VRAM without having to spend $300 for just the GPU.

I was online and my game crashed on the newest nvidia drivers so I turned off tesselation wonder why its not fixed yet, Played an hour online after with no crashes

ss_lemonade

I know tressfx demolishes performance for a lot of gpus but can a 780 reach 60fps or come close at 1080p with it enabled?

I have yet to play this game, hopefully my backordered 780 from tigerdirect ships soon T_T

Spazznid

I know tressfx demolishes performance for a lot of gpus but can a 780 reach 60fps or come close at 1080p with it enabled?

I have yet to play this game, hopefully my backordered 780 from tigerdirect ships soon T_T

Yes.

1080p I get 60+

1620p +2xSS I get 30+

Any higher, and the TressFX messes up.

I can run 4k without SS (there's really no need for Supersampling at that point) at around 30fps. The only issue is that the TressFX messes up and is all blurry, so meh.

ss_lemonade

Yes.

1080p I get 60+

1620p +2xSS I get 30+

Any higher, and the TressFX messes up.

I can run 4k without SS (there's really no need for Supersampling at that point) at around 30fps. The only issue is that the TressFX messes up and is all blurry, so meh.
1920x1080 is my max anyway at the moment so that's awesome to hear, thanks

Reading through this thread kinda makes me glad I bought into this game pretty late. The game runs great for me now with a GTX 680 after all the patches and driver updates.

Tenrius

Any fix for the "Tomb Raider has stopped working" crash? I'm on a laptop with a Radeon Mobility HD 5650. Tried googling, but all I found was people with a similar issue asking for help, people suggesting to use google (duh), people suggesting to update drivers and fixes for Nvidia users. I played for like 20 minutes, got to the QTE where you have to climb a slope and it crashed. Crashes within minutes upon loading the savegame now.

It runs great on normal settings with tesselation and precision off, by the way. My drivers are also up to date, as far as it's possible.

EDIT: I opted into a beta, build 1.0.716.5 and was able to play a half an hour with no crashes. Hope that fixed it.

b0uncyfr0

Is everyone using the sweetfx settings posted in the thread? I find them a bit too dark. Is anyone using something a bit easier on the eyes?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I just bought this during the sale And want to know if all the Nvidia card issues are fixed .

I believe so.

The blurry TressFx hair might still be in there. You need to install an older driver version to fix that if it is still in there.

Picked this up in the sale. TressFX is the first thing I turned off. Additionally shadows and SSAO to normal, everything else maxed. Seemingly I have a solid 60 at 1080p on my GTX 680 now. Amazing looking game.

On a GTX 680 you can max all settings now and get very good FPS. TressFX works on Nvidia just fine, there's no reason to turn it off and deny Lara her supermodel-class hair.

dEvAnGeL

need some help here guys, everything was working fine, i had the game working with everything on max and sweetfx working, all great, i decided to upgrade from a HDD to an SSD and so of course i had to install windows again, so after i did everything i downloaded the game and installed sweetfx but for some reason i cant run the game on DX11 when the sweetfx files are on the game folder, it defaults to DX9, as soon as i remove the files it gives me back the options for DX11, this is happening with all my games, any ideas why? please help!

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Does the benchmark give an accurate representation of the performances in-game? Because with everything maxed out, except shadows one step below max and obviously no TressFX and FXAA I'm doing 60fps avg on a 570.

I don't know, this just looks like the worst benchmark I've ever seen. :lol

Does the benchmark give an accurate representation of the performances in-game? Because with everything maxed out, except shadows one step below max and obviously no TressFX and FXAA I'm doing 60fps avg on a 570.

I don't know, this just looks like the worst benchmark I've ever seen. :lol
If you're using Tessellation, then not really. Best to find an area in the game with a lot of tesselated objects and run through with it on and off. I know you said you're not using TressFX, but the benchmark also isn't very representative of in game performance for it. TressFX performance fluctuates wildly, especially when zooming in over Lara's shoulder.

Top Bottom