• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider PC Performance Thread

-_________________________________-
fucking woow that was a nice $50 wasted....

did that registry fix thing and the options at least doesn't crash but I still get nothing but this...

;_____;
help please

Ensure that your game's been properly updated to latest version by Steam. Verify game files if necessary; one of the latest patches released was supposed to have tackled this issue.

neoism

Ensure that your game's been properly updated to latest version by Steam. Verify game files if necessary; one of the latest patches released was supposed to have tackled this issue.

verified integrity of game cache three times... I did the registry fix thing and it at least let me get to the options without it crashing... tried every setting low and nothing.... made sure exclusive full-screen was off....

i.5 2.7 quad
R5870 1gb
8gb ram...
I know this shit can run it in fact when you download steam games it does that first time directx install thing but it only had 1 step most games have 1 of 3 or something this is the first game with this problem... fucking Crystal Dynamics... WTF :(

Dizzy

Banned
Ran the benchmark...

Single gtx 670. Fairly high settings, min fps 58.

Turn on tressfx and it dips to the mid 30s :D

Im just gonna leave it off. It looks out of place anyway and the game is fantastic enough without it.

neoism

Play Tomb Raider 2013 on DirectX 9 with DirectX 11 Performance

Play Tomb Raider 2013 on DirectX 9 with DirectX 11 results. Follow the simple steps to force DirectX 9 better performance but Tessellation and TressFX will not enable.

Type Windows + R button to open Run Command
Type Regedit and press Enter
Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Crystal Dynamics\Tomb Raider\Graphics
Now you can modify RenderAPI and change its value to 9
.... YEEEESSSS got this motherfucker working... :D :D :O

neoism

so what gives with sweet fx and this game it just doesn't work.... I have it in the exe folder and I press the on off key but there is no difference... :/even downloaded the sweetfx configurator...
:(

XOMTOR

I just read up on the registry hack to force Tomb Raider to use its DX 9 renderer.

The performance increase was so subtantial that I thought I was mistaken. I gained 15 - 20 FPS on the same settings set in DX10, which is the difference between okay and really smooth performance for my aging rig. Reverting to DX9 allowed me to increase certain settings like Reflections to High, turn on SSAO and LOD options without sacrificing too much FPS.

I initially noticed this as well but one thing to note when forcing DX9 is that the Level of Detail setting doesn't appear to do anything beyond "medium"; basically setting it to ultra appears to be still only medium. There's no frame drop and no corresponding change to world detail. Under DX10/11, the LOD settings work as they should and substantially affect framerate when going from med-high-ultra.

bodine1231

For those of you still crashing,put your clock speeds back to stock if you are overclocking. I was crashing every 10 minutes even with the update and new Nvidia patch,I was told by EVGA support to run the card at stock speeds until it's fixed. I was able to play 4 hours yesterday with no crashes and again today for 3 as well with no crashes,Tessellation on and at Ultra settings. Apparently some overclocked cards don't play well with Tomb Raider. (all my other games run fine overclocked)

I initially noticed this as well but one thing to note when forcing DX9 is that the Level of Detail setting doesn't appear to do anything beyond "medium"; basically setting it to ultra appears to be still only medium. There's no frame drop and no corresponding change to world detail. Under DX10/11, the LOD settings work as they should and substantially affect framerate when going from med-high-ultra.

You're absolutely right. I just noticed it after you pointed it out.

Another thing I noticed is that game's VRAM usage for Ultra textures for the same resolution and other settings unchanged is much lower in DX 9 than in DX10/11. DX9 nets me roughly 560 MB vs close to 700 - 800 MB in DX10 for the same settings.

XOMTOR

You're absolutely right. I just noticed it after you pointed it out.

Another thing I noticed is that game's VRAM usage for Ultra textures for the same resolution and other settings unchanged is much lower in DX 9 than in DX10/11. DX9 nets me roughly 560 MB vs close to 700 - 800 MB in DX10 for the same settings.

Yup, I've noticed the VRAM usage discrepancy as well. This game has some strange issues to be sure.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
When!?!

Will they fix the tesselation issues on kelper cards?

Today.

AFAIK, tessellation was already fixed between 314.21 and game patches? I have SLI Titans, default TR profile, and latest public game build and there hasn't been a single issue with tessellation.

Renesis

Today.

AFAIK, tessellation was already fixed between 314.21 and game patches? I have SLI Titans, default TR profile, and latest public game build and there hasn't been a single issue with tessellation.

There is problem with tessellation at the start of the game when you get outside. Screen goes like this. link

Hey Andy,

I know this is a TR thread but other people could be interested about this as well. How will the compatibility be with Bioshock tomorrow? Did you get an early enough build to optimize?

Thanks.

Hey Andy,

I know this is a TR thread but other people could be interested about this as well. How will the compatibility be with Bioshock tomorrow? Did you get an early enough build to optimize?

Thanks.

I'm concerned too, but I think it being a UE3+ based game should mean smooth as butter performance for all lol.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
There is problem with tessellation at the start of the game when you get outside. Screen goes like this. link

Woah, that's the kind of thing you normally see when a GPU is overheating or broken :eek:

If that persists following the release of 314.22 WHQL please let me know.

Hey Andy,

Thanks.

All is good on that front. Driver should be up on GF.com and NV.com shortly.

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/nvidia-geforce-314-22-whql-drivers-released will detail all the changes (being published atm).

Mithos

I'm not having that bad issues like the previous posted about Tessellation, but I have black pixel artifacts as soon as I turn it on, it is most prominent on the face of Lara, 314.07 and 314.22 do not matter they are there on both (Asus GeForce GTX 660Ti 2GB GDDR5)

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Article is up: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/nvidia-geforce-314-22-whql-drivers-released

If you can't find the driver on our server yet use http://uk.download.nvidia.com/Windo...n8-win7-winvista-64bit-international-whql.exe

I'm not having that bad issues like the previous posted about Tessellation, but I have black pixel artifacts as soon as I turn it on, it is most prominent on the face of Lara, 314.07 and 314.22 do not matter they are there on both (Asus GeForce GTX 660Ti 2GB GDDR5)

Speckles is being fixed by a game patch I do believe.

GHG

Article is up: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/nvidia-geforce-314-22-whql-drivers-released

If you can't find the driver on our server yet use http://uk.download.nvidia.com/Windo...n8-win7-winvista-64bit-international-whql.exe

Speckles is being fixed by a game patch I do believe.

Nice performance gains for the 660! Hopefully that translates through to SLI.

Downloading now. Will report back on the tessellation artifact issue above and let you know if it still exists.

Renesis

Woah, that's the kind of thing you normally see when a GPU is overheating or broken :eek:

Yes it does happen still. but it only happens before you reach the first camp atleast for me.
And it goes away if i disable tessellation

Dinosur

Yes it does happen still. but it only happens before you reach the first camp atleast for me.
And it goes away if i disable tessellation

Sucks that it still happens in that initial area.

I've played 4-5 hours on the beta driver without the Hitman fix with zero problems. 670 with everything on ultra (except no DoF because I hate DoF and 2x SSAA).

edit:
Just tried it just to make sure and yes it happens even with that

That's definitely weird then. Hitman fix got me and every other nvidia owner in this thread through that section.

Mithos

Turned on tessellation while running around in catacombs, took around 60 seconds and game crashed, 314.22 + TR v1.00.722.3. Will keep trying it out, and I guess try the Hitman fix thing also to see if it works better then.

Yea, that sounds funky. Suggest you fill out our bug feedback form: http://surveys.nvidia.com/index.jsp?pi=6e7ea6bb4a02641fa8f07694a40f8ac6

Andy just thought I would report to you that the default SLI profile for Natural Selection 2 has many GPU utlization problems.

Reading on the NS2 forums I found out that the Dishonoured profile (by switching the .exe and delteing the NS2 profile through Nvidia inspector) runs a heck of a lot better with much higher utilization.

Any chance you could have that looked into?

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Andy just thought I would report to you that the default SLI profile for Natural Selection 2 has many GPU utlization problems.

Reading on the NS2 forums I found out that the Dishonoured profile (by switching the .exe and delteing the NS2 profile through Nvidia inspector) runs a heck of a lot better with much higher utilization.

Any chance you could have that looked into?

I submitted a bug about that last year, but doesn't look like anything happened. Will elevate.

ymmv

Banned
Turned on tessellation while running around in catacombs, took around 60 seconds and game crashed, 314.22 + TR v1.00.722.3. Will keep trying it out, and I guess try the Hitman fix thing also to see if it works better then.

It's funny but my problems seems to be fixed with the new drivers. I played the game for about 90 minutes. No crashes yet. (It could be dependent on the section of the game you're playing though).

I finished the game yesterday, I'm now doing some post game searching for documents and tags I've missed. I'm not going to spend much time with it now.

iNvid02

crashes seem to have subsided, for wahetever reason so i played a bit more today and i gotta admit it in motion it looks really nice at times.

tressfx continues to impress as well, if it's implemented and optimized properly i would love to have it in more games

Mithos

It's funny but my problems seems to be fixed with the new drivers. I played the game for about 90 minutes. No crashes yet. (It could be dependent on the section of the game you're playing though).

Catacombs were the only place the game crashed in on first playthrough, so I was testing that place again.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
New game patch out: http://store.steampowered.com/news/10241/
We have just made public a new version of the PC version of Tomb Raider, build 1.0.730.0. This patch will be applied by Steam automatically when you next start the game. If your game does not update, please restart the Steam client.

New fixes in 730.0:

• Upgraded the save slots from three to 99
• Introduced “Last Campsite Save”, which automatically saves your progress up to the last campsite you have visited
• Added stereoscopic 3D reticle
• Fixed issues with the discovery of the Unworthy campsite.
• Fixed a problem that occurred when traveling back to the Sacred Hall Basecamp after that story has been completed
• Fixed a playthrough stopper in Chasm Bridge
• Fixed a playthrough stopper that could occur when loading a saved game created in the Coastal Forest after upgrading the axe but before opening the gate
• The active selection in the main menu no longer changes due to the rotation of the menu itself
• Fixed Mouse and Aim Sensitivity slider settings getting rounded to coarser values on save
• Fixed a crash in multiplayer that could occur while migrating hosts
• Added functionality to activate and deactivate DLC multiplayer maps during matchmaking. Maps can also be manually activated and deactivated in the new ‘Match Making’ menu in the ‘Options’ menu.
• (DX11) Fixed a few self-shadowing artifacts in the beach
• (DX11) Various performance optimizations
• (DX11) Improved sunlight shadow quality
• (DX11) Lens flares now render correctly in stereoscopic 3D
• (DX11) Improved exclusive fullscreen <-> windowed transitions
• (DX11) Fixed occasional crash on startup related to stereoscopic detection
While we expect this patch to be an improvement for everyone, if you do have trouble with this patch and prefer to stay on the old version we made a Beta available on Steam, Build722.3, that can be used to switch back to the previous version. Please note however that you can only play multiplayer with people that share your version.

We are planning further patches beyond this one to address various issues that have come out of consumer feedback since the release of the game.

CatPee

Totally unrelated to Tomb Raider, but does 314.22 fix the massive stutter introduced in 314.14 and 314.21 when not at 60fps on Battlefield 3, Andy? :(

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I ran a few benchmarks with the 314.22s, which I'll compare to my 314.21 results here:

Ultimate preset (with 8x AF and 2x SSAA):
tr_sli_tressfx_on_314gzulq.jpg

Relative differences:
Min FPS: +6fps
Max FPS: +1.9fps
Avg FPS: +5fps

Ultimate preset (with 8x AF, 2x SSAA and TressFX disabled):

Relative differences:
Min FPS: +9fps
Max FPS: +12fps
Avg FPS: +9.4fps

Ultimate preset (with 8x AF, 2x SSAA and Ultra shadows):

Relative differences:
Min FPS: +5.1fps
Max FPS: +6fps
Avg FPS: +5.4fps

Ultimate preset (with 8x AF, 2x SSAA, Ultra shadows and TressFX disabled):

Relative differences:
Min FPS: +5.8fps
Max FPS: +9.7fps
Avg FPS: +7.1fps

Loving the latest patch, it improved performance on my lousy ass rig by around 5 fps on average which is great since my FPS is often borderline as it is lol. I'm not even using DX11 options, so apparently the performance benefits extended to DX10 as well.

Adding/Seperating Motion Blur from the rest of the post processing options was just icing on the cake, people can finally enjoy the great PP effects without the overbearing Motion Blur if they so desire. Switching it off also netted additional performance benefits for my system lol.

Renesis

It seems i fixed my problem. All i did was clean sweeped the drivers and installed 314.22 again.

Edit: Or not. Worked fine first time tried again and same problem.

Anyone else get dithering on things up close? Check out the two guards on the ground in this shot I took.

I have Level of Detail set to Normal in the options. Very rarely do I notice dithering as certain models update in the environment but it seems a bit silly that it's happening with stuff this close to the player character.

Mithos

Anyone else get dithering on things up close? Check out the two guards on the ground in this shot I took.

I get that effect on some things every now and then. Not sure its on close objects, though get it on distant stuff though.

Oh, and DLC is up for sale now for the PC version of the game. The extra Tomb hmm, maybe....

I get that effect on some things every now and then. Not sure its on close objects, though get it on distant stuff though.

Oh, and DLC is up for sale now for the PC version of the game. The extra Tomb hmm, maybe....

???

Isn't that just the extra tomb that came with the pre-order bonuses? Or is it completely brand new?

Top Bottom