• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider PC Performance Thread

Awaiting the first NVIDIA Titan benchmarks for this game lol. Ultra settings, SSAAx4, 2560x1440, TressFX... Bring on the 60 FPS lol.

The hair looked good until it blew over her shoulder, then it looked like she had an invisible force field wrapped around her body. Whatever prevents it from clipping into her body needs to be a little more precise.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm considering biting the bullet on a second [670]. :p I've long planned to do so as my old 570 has been sitting in my PC going unused since I stopped playing Borderlands 2 a few months ago (I'd dedicated it to PhysX), and I should be able to flog it off on eBay for ~$180 which is roughly half the cost of a 670.

And... done. I'll post updated benchmarks in a couple of days.

And that OpenVPN and VPNSecure makes no sense to me.

There's a setup guide here, though it's not exactly thorough.

dmr87

Thanks for the thread OP, game unlocks in 10ish hours here but I'm off to work soon so I'll play tonight.

That 7970 should demolish any game at 720p. Why are you running the game at console resolutions with that beast lol.

because 3D. my output options for that are 720p at 60 Hz or 1080p at 24 Hz. Which would you pick? I don't run every game at 720p you crazy people. Framepacked 720p is really 1280 x 1440.

Vexxan

TressFX eating them frames per second. The framerate looks pretty bad in those videos where the hair is like all over the screen when you're zoomed in.

Damian.

Banned
Always assume in-game Vsync to be double buffered unless explicitly mentioned otherwise.

There's a reason why most PC gamers have to resort to external apps like D3DOverrider for the true Triple buffered Vsync experience, most games don't natively allow you to enable that option.

Actually I think most games are triple buffered, but offer no options for it. IIRC the only big recent game to lack native triple buffering is Crysis 3.

Don't think I'll be getting 60 fps in this so I locked it to 30, running TressFX on ultimate

Game looks great but it's crashing pretty frequently with my setup (GTX 670, i5 2500K @ 4.8GHz)

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Actually I think most games are triple buffered, but offer no options for it. IIRC the only big recent game to lack native triple buffering is Crysis 3.

You mean Dead Space 3 finally had Triple Buffering on PC?

Don't think I'll be getting 60 fps in this so I locked it to 30, running TressFX on ultimate

Game looks great but it's crashing pretty frequently with my setup (GTX 670, i5 2500K @ 4.8GHz)

can you tell me how many FPS you get back disabling FOV if you get a chance?

You mean Dead Space 3 finally had Triple Buffering on PC?

don't be daft. it was locked to 30 like always, but you could override that using Nvidia drivers or Radeon Pro, depending on who made your GPU.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

This isn't even remotely true. 99% of games don't triple buffer with V-Sync enabled.

Sethos

Banned
2560x1600
Ultimate settings ( Everything High / Ultra, TressFX, High Precision, PP, Tess etc. )
2xSSAA

Not sure where it's getting the 10fps minimum from, it doesn't dip whatsoever.

1vmsal.png

Oh and TressFX looks like shit. The shadowing alone makes me wanna vomit.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
can you tell me how many FPS you get back disabling FOV if you get a chance?

don't be daft. it was locked to 30 like always, but you could override that using Nvidia drivers or Radeon Pro, depending on who made your GPU.

I didn't even bother to look it up and I knew without a single doubt in my that locked 30 was the case. But at least they were willing to implement mouse controls!

2560x1600
Ultimate settings ( Everything High / Ultra, TressFX, High Precision, PP, Tess etc. )
2xSSAA

And the Titan fucking demolished it... Thanks for the testrun Sethos.

dmr87

2560x1600
2xSSAA

1vmsal.png

Oh and TressFX looks like shit. The shadowing alone makes me wanna vomit.

You on one or two Titans Sethos?

Big performance hit, doesn't look much better than Alice PhysX hair, and still has that damn "invisible forcefield an inch above the shoulders" look. This is disappointing.

Top Bottom