• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider PC Performance Thread

Yeah, built-in triple buffering is very much the exception and not the rule.

It's a shame because it seems like a very simple feature to implement, (you would know having made Dsfix and thus is familiar with DirectX), and yet it's still uncommon.

Only Valve, and a few other publishers mandate the option in the game as a selectable one.

TheExodu5

Banned
Can someone name a few recent games that don't have built in triple buffering? I seriously can't think of a single title that doesn't support it off the top of my head. Of course, I may not have noticed if it's a game where I maintain 60fps.

Haunted

Well, my TressFX hair certainly doesn't look natural :p

untitled-10db8k.gif
Not ready for primetime.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Can someone name a few recent games that don't have built in triple buffering? I seriously can't think of a single title that doesn't support it off the top of my head. Of course, I may not have noticed if it's a game where I maintain 60fps.
Crysis 3 is a recent example.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I hate that Nvidia's yearly revenue is in the billions yet its servers have the bandwidth capacity of an ADSL connection.

pestul

Wow, definitely needs some work. For all the hype, I would have expected more polish at release. Everyone with AMD cards getting the same effects as Sethos' gif?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

It'd be easier to name games that do allow it.

Source Engine games, WoW, Hard Reset.....

Um yea.

Not performance related, but how are the PC Master Race players playing the game? kb/mouse or gamepad?

Since the emphasis seems to be on shootbanging and the platforming is largely autopilot, I'll probably stick with KB/M.

iNvid02

I hate that Nvidia's yearly revenue is in the billions yet its servers have the bandwidth capacity of an ADSL connection.

regarding the driver download? always been very quick for me, utilising about half of a 100mb connection

JaseC

Not performance related, but how are the PC Master Race players playing the game? kb/mouse or gamepad?

Kb&m at the moment. I'm waiting to see how much the combat favours precision before deciding on whether or not to switch to a controller (I found Max Payne 3 far better with a kb&m, for example).

Get the drivers from Guru3D instead, they sometimes even have them up before Nvidia themselves.

Guru3D seems to have stopped updating its Nvidia selection circa 306.23.

TheExodu5

Banned

Um yea.

I'm still asking for games that don't allow it so I can see for myself. So far Crysis 3 has been named, but unfortunately, I don't own it. Any recent game I've played where I can't maintain 60fps has had it: The Witcher 2, Metro 2033, Crysis 2...I guess maybe the issue is that there aren't too many games where I don't maintain 60fps.

Xdrive05

i5 3570k@4.4 ghz - 7950 3gb @ 1100/1500

1920x1080 Everything ultimate and 4xssaa

Min fps 1.9 (?)
Max fps 66.0
Avg fps 54.7

Shadowing on the tressfx hair is quite bad indeed, and it looks quite weird when it interacts with the shoulders.

Thank you for the sigh of relief. That's very close to my specs @ 4.5 3570k and the 7950 OC/boost that's showing up on my doorstep this week. In real gameplay should be at 50-60fps with tressfx on then.

Not bad for a midrange card!

JaseC

regarding the driver download? always been very quick for me, utilising about half of a 100mb connection

I can't remember the last time I downloaded GeForce drivers at more than ~100KBps and at the moment I'm getting roughly a third of that. I'd thought it might be an issue with my cheap-and-nasty ISP but I talked to a mate the other day and he said much the same thing.

Edit: I should also mention I'm referring to single-threaded downloads. I don't use a download manager, although perhaps I should.

Aesthet1c

Anyone had a chance to test it on a lower end system?

I have a Core 2 Duo @ 3.6 Ghz with a Radeon 6850. Hoping I can run this at decent settings. I was able to run Far Cry 3 on high settings.

dark10x

I don't own Crysis 3. Crysis 2 had triple buffering, though. Odd that the sequel wouldn't.
Indeed, but it lead to many complaints from people who didn't understand why their framerate would drop from 60 to 30 fps regularly.

Damian.

Banned

Um yea.

Since the emphasis seems to be on shootbanging and the platforming is largely autopilot, I'll probably stick with KB/M.

What recent games don't have triple buffering besides Crysis 3? Crysis 3 was quite literally the first game I have played in years that only offered double buffered V-Sync. Most games when using the VSync option have triple buffering.

Sethos

Banned
Can someone who's installing the new 314.14 drivers get me the updated TR SLI bit? My benchmark wasn't running on all cylinders.

I'm still asking for games that don't allow it so I can see for myself. So far Crysis 3 has been named, but unfortunately, I don't own it. Any recent game I've played where I can't maintain 60fps has had it: The Witcher 2, Metro 2033, Crysis 2...I guess maybe the issue is that there aren't too many games where I don't maintain 60fps.

These two are not triple buffered.

dark10x

Well...since my PC will be in a giant shipping crate for 6 weeks after tomorrow I can only hope that the kinks will be worked out by the time I can actually play the game.

Zeth

I tried Ultimate @ 1080P w/ TressFX and FXAA. Ran suprisingly smoothly between 40-60fps, but it's been a bit unstable, and I think it doesn't play well with my Nvidia overclock. Both crashes were driver-related. Installed new Nvidia drivers and will probably turn off hairFX for a more consistent 60fps and stock OC. 680 + 3570k

JohngPR

Phenom X4 955 Black Edition
Sapphire HD 7970 OC'd to 1125 Core Clock and 1525 Memory
8GB RAM

Settings (with triple buffering)

Result

The 1FPS must have been at the very beginning of the benchmark because I didn't see a drop anywhere near that. I'm willing to bet that if it ran two benchmarks in succession I wouldn't see tthat FPS drop

This was just a baseline...now I'll try it again with AA and go from there. I'd also like to note that the game instantly crashes when I tried using SweetFX with it. SweetFX was giving me trouble with a game that usually worked well with it yesterday as well (coincidentally another SE game, Sleeping Dogs).

tsab

Wow that's a big
expected
perfomance impact
No hair splinters for me going PS1 old-skool.

PC am cry.

Top Bottom