• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider PC Performance Thread

vazel

Banned
Huh? I run The Witcher 2 at about a constant 45-50fps, and I'm not using D3DOverrider.
So the fact that you're getting framerate in-between 30 and 60 makes you think it's triple buffering? I've had that happen to me too even though I knew I wasn't running with triple buffering. That confused me and I made a thread about it here but no one gave me a satisfactory answer.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The game is crashing on me whenever I climb up on to this walkway:

2013-03-05_00001e7uhc.jpg

Demon Ice

Banned
That TressFX looks like shit. The hair's lighting is all messed up, it looks too bright and shiny. And it's animating like it's underwater, when's the last time you saw a ponytail float around like that in the wind? Not to mention it's blowing in the exact opposite direction as the flags in the background. And the exaggerated way it bounces with every step she takes is hilarious.

And it has a massive performance hit and shitty low res shadowing? Pass. Pass pass pass.

JaseC

That TressFX looks like shit. The hair's lighting is all messed up, it looks too bright and shiny. And it's animating like it's underwater, when's the last time you saw a ponytail float around like that in the wind? Not to mention it's blowing in the exact opposite direction as the flags in the background. And the exaggerated way it bounces with every step she takes is hilarious.

And it has a massive performance hit and shitty low res shadowing? Pass. Pass pass pass.

It's a pity the implementation is so sloppy as it does look quite nice from a distance.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm not sure what this has to do with Trip Buff.

With double buffering the game's framerate can only be an even fraction of the game's display rate. For a 60Hz monitor, that means you can have the following framerates: 60, 30, 20, 15, 12, 10, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. If I'm holding a constant 45fps, then it must be triple buffered.

The game is crashing on me whenever I climb up on to this walkway:

I had it happen consistently when I was trying to head back to camp after murdering the deer. Managed to push past that and got a few more minutes in and now I'm stuck a bit later

Can't remember the last time I've had this happen with a new release.

scitek

I think people are confusing games that don't allow you toggle on/off triple buffering for games that automatically are triple buffered when vsync is turned on. The latter is pretty commonplace these days.

TheExodu5

Banned
I think people are confusing games that don't allow you toggle on/off triple buffering for games that automatically are triple buffered when vsync is turned on. The latter is pretty commonplace these days.

Yeah, that's a very different thing. Very few games allow you to turn off triple buffering. I very much appreciate the option since it results in lower input lag in many games. Portal 2 was one such game, though sadly, double buffering now retains input lag due to a recent update to the Source engine. I'm not sure what changed there.

I wish I could turn off triple buffering in games like Street Fighter IV or Super Hexagon.

I had it happen consistently when I was trying to head back to camp after murdering the deer. Managed to push past that and got a few more minutes in and now I'm stuck a bit later

Can't remember the last time I've had this happen with a new release.

Having similar problems, the screen will randomly freak the fuck out and have random colors spinning about. The game has also crashed once due to a graphics card error, what the hell is going on.

I have a GF 670, btw.

Wanny

Wow I'm very worried for the performance/visual ratio. It looks alright and run like a turd? really...?

TheExodu5

Banned
Wow I'm very worried for the performance/visual ratio. It looks alright and run like a turd? really...?

Performance seems fine. Keep in mind some people are running with SSAA. 2x SSAA means you're halving your framerate by effectively rendering at double the resolution. 4x SSAA is quartering the framerate.

DieH@rd

Banned

Nah, it runs and looks great. ShampooFX cuts a lot of preformance, but hey, we are proud PC gamers. We like advanced effects that kill our rigs.

Wanny

Performance seems fine. Keep in mind some people are running with SSAA. 2x SSAA means you're halving your framerate by effectively rendering at double the resolution. 4x SSAA is quartering the framerate.

Nah, it runs and looks great. ShampooFX cuts a lot of preformance, but hey, we are proud PC gamer. We like advanced effects that kill our rigs.

Alright.. I'll release the panic button.

JaseC

Disabling AA didn't seem to help my framerate much at all. Compared to 2x SSAA (I forgot to take a screenshot):

Min. FPS: ~23 -> ~28
Max. FPS: ~30 -> ~42
Avg. FPS: ~31 -> ~30

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Noooooo. Guess that squashes that rumor from Guru3D. :( Do you guys plan to release a driver for Tomb Raider?

I can't discuss such things, but I don't want that rumor to get around and have the net disappointed when a new driver fails to drop on the 7th.

TheExodu5

Banned
Disabling AA didn't seem to help my framerate much at all. Compared to 2x SSAA (I forgot to take a screenshot):

Yeah the hair physics would explain that, as those probably don't scale with rendering resolution.

Demon Ice

Banned

That can't possibly be true SSAA then. Maybe they're implementing 2xMSAA and 2xSGSSAA and calling it "SSAA"?

JaseC

Yeah the hair physics would explain that, as those probably don't scale with rendering resolution.

Possibly. I'll disable TressFX and see how those results compare.

Edit: Yeah, it's the culprit. There was a bit a stutter at the beginning so my minimum shot down to 5fps, but the average jumped up to 63fps and the maximum 72.

I got a crazy blur effect on the hair at 3200x1800. Went away when I dropped to 2560x1400. Does the effect not work at higher resolutions?

tombraider_2013_03_04i2lws.png

Haha, it's almost as though somebody went over her hair with the spray can tool in Paint.

Durante

Yeah, that's a very different thing. Very few games allow you to turn off triple buffering. I very much appreciate the option since it results in lower input lag in many games. Portal 2 was one such game, though sadly, double buffering now retains input lag due to a recent update to the Source engine. I'm not sure what changed there.

I wish I could turn off triple buffering in games like Street Fighter IV or Super Hexagon.
You don't get more lag with triple buffering than with double buffering, only potentially less. Unless the game does it wrong.

Zeth

I mainly posted it because it's funny. I won't be playing the game like that at all, just messing around.

Eideka

Banned
Kudos to Nixxes, the PC version is just beautiful. TressFX is very taxing as expected, I wonder how my GTX670 will fare at ultra settings/1080p.

Blinck

So...running this on high graphics on my 5850, i5 750 @ 3.5, is a bit unrealistic right?

Underworld was so well optimized that I was really hopeful for this :p But I guess the graphical update was also pretty big.

Btw, is there an option for 30 fps? Like Sleeping Dogs

antitrop

So...running this on high graphics on my 5850, i5 750 @ 3.5, is a bit unrealistic right?

Underworld was so well optimized that I was really hopeful for this :p But I guess the graphical update was also pretty big.

Btw, is there an option for 30 fps? Like Sleeping Dogs
There's always an option for 30 fps, in your GPU drivers.

JohngPR

It seems to me like TressFX is optimized for high end AMD cards. I only lose 2-3 FPS during the benchmark. Not sure how much it effects the framerate in game yet.

Here's some comparisons of screens I took:

TressFX (also no AA :p)

NoTress FX

Note that the hair covering her face is static with no TressFX turned on and the pony tail is dynamic but doesn't have individual strands. With it on, everything is dynamic.

There's give and take with it. Sometimes it looks really great and other times it looks bad like when it tries to have the hair go on her shoulders and it floats on top of them instead LOL:

kuroshiki

Man this makes me excited about next gen console where they all use AMD and developer will optimize it to the metal to use this effect more efficiently.

JaseC

It may very well be a coincidence, but I haven't had a single crash since installing the 314.14s.

You don't get more lag with triple buffering than with double buffering, only potentially less. Unless the game does it wrong.

Portal 2's implementation is woeful. The game is practically unplayable for me with triple buffering enabled.

Anyone benchmark before and after the new drivers?

They don't contain any Tomb Raider-specific optimisations.

Jin

Like Exodus5, I can't remember a game where it drops from 60 straight to 30 with nothing in between. I play with Vsync on all my games and can't seem to remember any game that does this. Even Crysis 3 I have seen my fps around 40's and 50's.

Top Bottom