• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider PC Performance Thread

Big performance hit, doesn't look much better than Alice PhysX hair, and still has that damn "invisible forcefield an inch above the shoulders" look. This is disappointing.

Alice hair isn't PhysX. Spicy Horse coded their own hair simulation. It works equally well on all platforms and graphics card vendors.

Varna

I will see for myself, but yeah that TressFX doesn't look so hot. At least I know my setup WILL get 60 FPS now.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Oh and TressFX looks like shit. The shadowing alone makes me wanna vomit.

Is it grossly low-res to the point of giving the impression that Lara is sporting dreadlocks?

Edit: The hair shadow maps, I mean.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Alice hair isn't PhysX. Spicy Horse coded their own hair simulation. It works equally well on all platforms and graphics card vendors.
Yeah, that's the thing about Alice. It looks fantastic *BUT* runs with very little performance hit even on consoles.

Lucius86

Banned
At least people have the option to use the new hair rendering technology, for those who have very high-end graphic capabilities. It's good to see a game at least try something new for those with powerful rigs.

Shame about the clipping around the shoulders. Maybe that can get patched.

Sethos

Banned
Well, my TressFX hair certainly doesn't look natural :p

untitled-10db8k.gif

aranth

i5 3570k@4.4 ghz - 7950 3gb @ 1100/1500

1920x1080 Everything ultimate and 4xssaa

Min fps 1.9 (?)
Max fps 66.0
Avg fps 54.7

Shadowing on the tressfx hair is quite bad indeed, and it looks quite weird when it interacts with the shoulders.

Meia

I'm gonna guess that what we're seeing is just something very new being very buggy and not optimized at all.

...I hope.

Still, as someone said, nice to try "new" things and as long as it's a toggleable option, more power to them.

Violater

Well, my TressFX hair certainly doesn't look natural :p

untitled-10db8k.gif

Kill it with fire!
Back to the drawing board with that tech, no wonder there was no video released.
Hopefully this is just an early version and by the time next gen kicks in it will get better.

TheExodu5

Banned
Always assume in-game Vsync to be double buffered unless explicitly mentioned otherwise.

There's a reason why most PC gamers have to resort to external apps like D3DOverrider for the true Triple buffered Vsync experience, most games don't natively allow you to enable that option.

Very few games aren't triple buffered nowadays. I can't even recall the last game I needed to use D3DOverrider to triple buffer.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Hair thing does look better than any hair made so far, but not enough to justify massive performance hit. It also still looks glitchy it seems, just less than is usually the case for this kind of thing. Shadows from hair look particularly bad, but I'd imagine in lower resolutions it would be less noticeable.

You've an NVIDIA card right? Suck it up, this is one of the few times AMD card owners get to gloat about superior performance.

Don't AMD video cards have the lead from a price/performance standpoint? A 7950 with Bioshock Infinite and Crysis 3 is currently available for $270 after rebate. The cheapest GTX 670 I could find right now is around $350.

Omikaru

Not at all impressed with the TressFX effect. Probably a good thing, or my poor 560 Ti would be weeping right about now.

TheExodu5

Banned
Again, this isn't true. Not even slightly.

Well, what can I say? I've maybe encountered 1 or 2 games in the past several years that hasn't nativelly had triple buffering. Unless games can have framerates that fluctuate freely between 30-60fps and not be triple buffered.

Of course, I'm not counting games that don't allow for 60fps (Dark Souls, Dead Space).

If Triple Buffering is the exception, not the rule, can you name a few recent games that don't have triple buffering?

Top Bottom