• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider PC Performance Thread

derFeef

2x 7970
2500k @ 4,5
8GB Ram

Ultimate setting + 2xSSAA
2560x1600

OdemfdQ.jpg

Can't complain, will also get better with an actual Crossfire profile and drivers I guess :)

Danj

Hey is it just me or is TressFX hair wind direction broken compared to non-TressFX hair?

Also, shit I still only get 21.9 average FPS on Normal with triple buffering :(

Vitor711

My bud has a nearly identical setup to mine and his copy crashed or went into polygon-tango mode just after exiting the cave. Similar symptoms when your card is overheating. He's rocking a gtx680

That sounds like the exact same tesselation issue I had. Turn that off it no more crashes.

Well, mine was more of a weird visual glitch that made the game unplayable than an actual crash but you get the point.

Alright guys,
For those wanting to try out sweetfx, here is a bit of a guide. Don't worry, it is actually insanely easy to tweak and do this, and you'll instantly want to do it for any game - kind of like ENB, but I find this is more controlled and reasonable way to tweak what the game looks like (I just found about about SweetFX haha).

First do this if you have problems with framerate and don't want to compromise too much on meaningful things (like hair):

Code:
Tessellations: OFF
High Precision: OFF

Should give you a nice 10+ boost in FPS (did on my 7850).
With this card I am running everything else on max at 40-50 consistently. I honestly see no difference when I tweak the above settings to ON vs. OFF.

Next, you want to go here and download this:
Code:
http://sweetfx.thelazy.net/?p=91

Once you run it, you'll need to add the Tomb Raider executable (in steam directory) and then add SweetFX (effectively it installs this into the game directory).

Once that is done, check off HDR and Bloom in addition to what is checked already, and use the following values (use the "List Changes from Default to help your fellow man find better settings"):

Code:
USE_BLOOM = 1
USE_HDR = 1
BloomThreshold = 24               // USE_BLOOM
HDRPower = 1.3                    // USE_HDR
radius2 = 0.8                     // USE_HDR

Read the helpfile for useful tweaking instructions (Print Screen = screenshots, ScreenLock = on/off, Pause = load in new settings)

Finally, here are the results, it might be a bit subtle (it's not just "darker" though) as I had not played with it long enough, but in motion it is very apparent (sorry for huge files, I will only post links):

At Fire: Before
At Fire: After
Foliage: Before
Foliage: After
Character: Before
Character: After

Sample:
screenshot55970vs9a.png

Danj

Well shit, even on Low I can only get 30.7 average FPS :( :(

Guess I need to start saving for a new gaming laptop then :(

Nobody makes Expresscard GPU accelerators or anything like that do they?

Mononoke

Banned
Strange, Sweet FX crashes my game. I can't even boot it up. It automatically crashes.

I wonder if it has to do with me using MSI afterburner. EDIT: Yep, that was it. If I close MSI afterburner it works. Kind of want to keep that on though, so I can monitor my cards temps.

gdt

So I read the unchecking Fullscreen/Exclusive FS in the options will let the game start up...not so much. Its not launching at all for me.

AMD users know this feel a lot...

yeah, its hard to feel too sorry for the Nvidia users. this shouldn't ever happen, but with AMD being a bit more aggressive in courting developers, maybe you'll have more sympathy for us AMD owners when we get similarly shafted.

hopefully it won't happen to any brand of graphics card. I have no brand loyalty, I just go with whatever best suits my needs at the time. My main card may be AMD, but I have a secondary mid range Nvidia card that I use for games that work better in 3D over in Nvidia land.

TressFX looks amazing... I love it

No way I turn it off even with the performance hit. It runs relatively smooth on ultimate preset at 1440p. If I turn it off its near butter smooth but no thanks!

JohngPR

Strange, Sweet FX crashes my game. I can't even boot it up. It automatically crashes.

I wonder if it has to do with me using MSI afterburner. EDIT: Yep, that was it. If I close MSI afterburner it works. Kind of want to keep that on though, so I can monitor my cards temps.

I had the same problem. I'll have to try that when I get off of work.

Mononoke

Banned
I had the same problem. I'll have to try that when I get off of work.

Here is how I fixed it, and it's still kind of screwy. But basically:

Code:
[B]How to use SweetFX w/ MSI Afterburne[/B]r

1) Update to the latest version of MSI Afterburner.
2) Start MSI Afterburner.
3) Switch to the "MSI On-Screen Display Server" window.
4) Create a new profile for your game and change to it.
5) Click the big wrench icon to change advanced settings.
6) Go to General -> Compatibility properties and turn on "Enable compatibility with modified Direct3D runtime libraries".

Make sure you have Tomb Raider EXE selected in the On-Screen Display Server. Even after doing all that, my game would still crash. So what you then do is. Close MSI Afterburner + the server display. Shut it all down. Launch Tomb Raider, then when you get to the main menu, alt tab out. Re-open MSI Afterburner + select Tomb Raider exe in the server display (if you have to), then alt tab back in to the game. And the overlay will now show + SweetFX.

It sounds like a lot, and a pain in the butt. But it only takes 2 seconds after you've done the steps above. Basically, you will just have to launch the game first, then launch MSI after.

I'm really happy with Sweet FX + everything maxed out (without Tesselation). I'm also now using V Sync Triple Buffer. And while my FPS went from 55-75 FPS to 45-60 - 99% of the time it stays at 60 FPS and it overall feels much smoother.

LuCkymoON

Banned
I was looking at some youtube vids of TR with TressFX on, it runs so crappy on Nvidia cards.
It clips through her shoulders and constantly resets it position.
I have a Radeon 7950 3GB and don't experience any of that.

Mononoke

Banned
I was looking at some youtube vids of TR with TressFX on, it runs so crappy on Nvidia cards.
It clips through her shoulders and constantly resets it position.
I have a Radeon 7950 3GB and don't experience any of that.

Interesting. This was to be expected, given it's AMDs technology. But I had no idea you guys weren't having any issues at all.

I get a weird fluttering in the pony tail (looks like flickering). So good to hear that it's not having those issues on AMD. I say good, because I was thinking TressFX itself had issues. I'm glad this more has to do with cards/drivers then it does the technology itself.

Hopefully it eventually gets better on Nvidia.

EDIT: To clarify, I'm not blaming Nvidia. I just meant, it's good to hear that it's working great with AMD cards. I hope that means eventually, it will look good on other cards as well. I'm a big fan of the tech in general. All I meant.

dino1980

Tessellation fix for nvidia users.

Download nvidia inspector
Open nvidia inspector
Delete Tomb raider 2013 profile
Find hitman absolution profile
Link tombraider.exe
Change if you want af, aa and so on
Press apply button

And now hopefully you have no crash anymore with tessellation on. Have worked for me now an hour with no crash, use to crash before after 1-2 minutes after activating tessellation.

Thanks goes to a guy on steam for this fix.

strafer

Didn't see this thread.

Anyway.

Does anyone have these bugs that when you run into those green smokes or getting shot my screen gets black for a couple of seconds, fucking annoying.

:(

Mononoke

Banned

Open nvidia inspector
Link tombraider.exe
Press apply button

And now hopefully you have no crash anymore with tessellation on. Have worked for me now an hour with no crash, use to crash before after 1-2 minutes after activating tessellation.

If this works, you are my hero for posting this.

Erebus

Open nvidia inspector
Link tombraider.exe
Press apply button

The game crashed without tessellation on me once. So I wouldn't blame only tessellation for the random crashes.

beast786

3D Play via Nividia is not working. I turned the exclusive full screen off.

But still not kicking in. GTX480 SLi here.

Any help?

OverHeat

« generous god »
Cannot even start the game failed to initialize direct3d message and when I try to launch the option it crash :s I'm trying to run the game with a X51 with a GeForce GT 640, i5 and windows 8

Bearpowers

Neo Member
Seems my 7850 can just barely 100% max it and maintain 30fps.

Game looks great though, shame about all the QTEs.

Got it free with my 7850 so that was neat.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
Im confused. Im on ultra settings, no tressfx and it never goes under 60. I got to just after first camp site. on ultra is everything the same as ultimate just no tressfx??

KePoW

Banned

Open nvidia inspector
Link tombraider.exe
Press apply button

Do you actually see any tessellation effects in-game?

Game runs really smooth but I'm getting some severe frame rate drops whenever waterfalls are involved (e.g., right after the beginning near the plane). Turning down the reflections doesn't seem to do much. Any idea which setting might be the culprit here?

Danj

OK so I managed to get things going on my 5850 on Normal by dropping down to 720p. Game still looks acceptable. Hate QTEs though.

Deepo

Do you actually see any tessellation effects in-game?

That's a good point a actually. Anyone know where tesselation is supposed to be active? Is it on character models like in DX: HR, or is it on the environment as well?

Yuripaw

Banned
Looks like giantbomb had another crash in their PC version at the same point in the game that I started running into problems, so it must be related to that nvidia bug going around =/

So am I just stuck not being able to play this until there's a patch or new drivers? :(

Mononoke

Banned
That's a good point a actually. Anyone know where tesselation is supposed to be active? Is it on character models like in DX: HR, or is it on the environment as well?

It's for the rocks, ground, floor and vegetation. Basically smoothens out the environment. Turn it on then off in game, you can tell. The world just looks more natural with it on.

Banned
3.2 GHz quad core i7-920
18GB of DDR3 1333mhz
GTX 570 HD edition 2536mb VRAM

I wonder if I can max this out at 1080p and 60fps with dx11.

Top Bottom