• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider PC Performance Thread

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So what does V-Sync Double / Triple Buffer mean?

Double buffering means that your framerate will be locked to a multiple of your monitors refresh rate.

So if you have a 60hz monitor your framerate will be either 60, 45, 30, 15 or 0 with no gradient in between.

Triple buffering unlocks the framerate up to your monitors refresh rate but can introduce some (very) mild input lag. It's the way to go unless you're super sensitive to that stuff.

angelfly

So far it's been running fine with tessellation off but just got two crashes in a row on the same area. Not sure if I want to continue or just wait for a patch or new set of drivers.

Where I can't even launch the option?

do you have a second monitor that isn't 3D? it should launch on that. set the game to run in windowed mode, then switch back to your 3d monitor and launch the game. once you are in game try going full screen and turning on 3d. full screen exclusive must be turned on for 3D to be an option.

Momentary

Banned
Running this on windows 7 on my GTX560M laptop with settings on high at 720p and it runs at a solid 60fps. It's a damn good port on my end. Haven't had any hiccups.

Also: Anisotropic filtering is at 2x

*sigh*... 2 more years until Nvidia Maxwell :( Then next gen can start for me.

pfkas

hrrm.. just sat down to try this out having read the fun and games everyone's had.

crashes on clicking options in the launcher.

get in game and set everything to Ultimate etc

run benchmark

hair flying around all over the place, obviously buggy

40fps on 2xgtx690

yeah, i'll come back when this is fixed

beast786

The game looks stunning in 3D.

new poster child for 3D.

So far no issues performance . but, it's not using SLI on my 480's.

Eideka

Banned
same here.

What the fuck is wrong with this port ?

Seriously Nixxes what have you been doing ? Or is this Nvidia's fault ?

K5XjQmR.jpg

I tried resetting the shadow res setting to low and get it back to high but no, my shadows are still shitty and not "contact hardening" as AMD claims.

Mononoke

Banned
After playing 40 min, I can confirm that using the Hitman Absolution profile in Nvidia Inspector does allow you to play with Tesselation on without crashing.

However, I've only played 40 min. So I'll keep you guys updated if a crash does happen. I passed transition parts. I traveled to very open areas. I moved my camera around really fast and jumped off ledges and went in and out of Instinct mode (in the past some of these things caused my game to crash with tesselation).

So far nothing. So it's looking good.

For those that don't know my setup already:

GTX 680 SLI (2gb)
I7 3820 3.6ghz (not OC)
Resolution: 2560x1600
Settings Maxed out

Getting my old 55-75 FPS again.

Zeth

I'm a few hours in, and it was pretty stable with tesselation disabled, but I think I'm gonna wait until at least the weekend before continuing. I want my tesselation, damn it. Looks/runs great though. And it helps that I'm really enjoying the game so far.

iNvid02

disabling tesselation, tressfx and exclusive fullscreen has ensured it doesnt crash anymore, it sucks but until nvidia react its neccessary

After playing 40 min, I can confirm that using the Hitman Absolution profile in Nvidia Inspector does allow you to play with Tesselation on without crashing.

However, I've only played 40 min. So I'll keep you guys updated if a crash does happen. I passed transition parts. I traveled to very open areas. I moved my camera around really fast and jumped off ledges and went in and out of Instinct mode (in the past some of these things caused my game to crash with tesselation).

GTX 680 SLI (2gb)
I7 3820 3.6ghz (not OC)
Settings Maxed out

Good to know.

I think I'll take a break from this for a week or so as I just realized Arma 3 alpha came out on Steam, which I'm dying to play(d/ling now) and will give Nvidia time to iron out a new driver for better performance.

Also, why not OC that i7? I've managed to squeeze out substantial performance with my couple years old i7-920@4Ghz.

beast786

GTX 680 SLI (2gb)
I7 3820 3.6ghz (not OC)
Settings Maxed out

is SLI working?

Salaadin

Anyone know if you can just use the regular Nvidia Control Panel to load the Hitman profile for Tomb Raider? Id rather not have yet another program to load at startup.

Two options: Double Buffer / Triple Buffer. Neither solve my tearing issues, nor does forcing v-sync via the nvidia control panel or D3DOverrider.

Are you using SweetFX or some other D3D injector? That might be the reason for the lack of vsync. If not, then I don't know... try running in windowed mode?

Guri

Intel i7 2600 k
AMD 7970
16 GB RAM
Windows 8
Samsung SSD 840 Pro

Not overclocked.

60 fps without Tesselation, Post-Effects and High Precision, but everything else on max (and FXAA and TreeFX). However, if I look on the distance (first hub after
Roth passes out
), goes back to 40. Level Detail, obviously.

EDIT: Yeah, wrong code.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Why the hell does the game revert from 2x SSAA to FXAA every time I start it up?

For me the AA options are mess. If I have AA off I get 20 FPS, so I'm assuming it's running 4xSSAA. If I set 4xSSAA it runs 60 fps but I get jaggies everywhere.

Nixxes shit the bed with this port.

Xyber

hrrm.. just sat down to try this out having read the fun and games everyone's had.

run benchmark

40fps on 2xgtx690

Why even bother running in quad-SLI? That shit barely works in most games and you get way more performance for the money with 3 cards.

run benchmark

40fps on 2xgtx690

Yeah, something is clearly wrong with your setup

I have a 7870XT and i get 30fps in the benchmark running the ultimate preset @ 1440p

Deepo

Anyone know if you can just use the regular Nvidia Control Panel to load the Hitman profile for Tomb Raider? Id rather not have yet another program to load at startup.

Changing profiles in Nvidia Inspector is a one time change; you don't need to have it load at startup. Think of it as tweaking the registry.

Vitor711

Anyone else having instincts mode cripple your FPS? I avoid using it if at all possible because I lose around 10-15FPS just by activating it. Luckily the level design has been pretty incredible so far and I'm rarely lost but still, one more issue that needs fixing for Nvidia users.

frontieruk

Oh okay so then I'll just head out and buy an entirely new card then.

as plagiarize succinctly put it

yeah, its hard to feel too sorry for the Nvidia users. this shouldn't ever happen, but with AMD being a bit more aggressive in courting developers, maybe you'll have more sympathy for us AMD owners when we get similarly shafted.

hopefully it won't happen to any brand of graphics card. I have no brand loyalty, I just go with whatever best suits my needs at the time. My main card may be AMD, but I have a secondary mid range Nvidia card that I use for games that work better in 3D over in Nvidia land.

Mithos

Why the hell does the game revert from 2x SSAA to FXAA every time I start it up?

For me the AA options are mess. If I have AA off I get 20 FPS, so I'm assuming it's running 4xSSAA. If I set 4xSSAA it runs 60 fps but I get jaggies everywhere.

Nixxes shit the bed with this port.

Mine does this too.

My settings on AA also changes from what I pick if I use the configurator before starting the game, so I have started using the in-game options only they work for me.

There's something from nvidia about the problems here:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/533493/geforce-drivers/nvidia-please-take-a-look-at-tomb-raider/post/3752523/#3752523

"We are aware of major performance and stability issues with GeForce GPUs running Tomb Raider with maximum settings. Unfortunately, NVIDIA didn’t receive final code until this past weekend which substantially decreased stability, image quality and performance over a build we were previously provided. We are working closely with Crystal Dynamics to address and resolve all game issues as quickly as possible.
In the meantime, we would like to apologize to GeForce users that are not able to have a great experience playing Tomb Raider, as they have come to expect with all of their favorite PC games."

Jubbly

Oh dear: http://www.hardocp.com/news/2013/03/05/nvidia_gpu_performance_issues_in_new_tomb_raider/

The new Tomb Raider reboot was released last night, and has so far been praised as a good game that brings back that nostalgia of the old Tomb Raider games. However, in our testing today, we have become aware of performance issues on NVIDIA GPUs while playing this game. We reached out to NVIDIA for answers and some information for you if you are experiencing slower than expected performance, it is not just you. We asked NVIDIA what the best driver for the game is right now, and NVIDIA's response is as follows:

Hi Brent. You can try using the latest beta driver however, please note that we are aware of major performance and stability issues with GeForce GPUs running Tomb Raider with maximum settings. Unfortunately, NVIDIA didn't receive final code until this past weekend which substantially decreased stability, image quality and performance over a build we were previously provided. We are working closely with Crystal Dynamics to address and resolve all game issues as quickly as possible. In the meantime, we would like to apologize to GeForce users that are not able to have a great experience playing Tomb Raider, as they have come to expect with all of their favorite PC games.

We then followed up asking about an ETA for the new driver, and got this response:

Hi Brent, this isn't solely a driver issue. The developer needs to make some changes on their end to fix their issues on GeForce GPUs. This will require code changes to the game.

Infallible Nixxies screwed the pooch.

Ryuuga

Banned
im just simply stating I had zero tearing as should you, no matter the card

You're right. I just entertained the idea that it could just possibly be my card. I've experienced some visual oddities in the past and some pretty aggressive and unrelenting tear in some games (more recently RAGE) which is why I meant what I said about getting that new card. Snarky as it might've appeared. The tear I get in Tomb Raider is an ever-persistent seam of fail that just sits atop my screen teasing me.

Mononoke

Banned
Well I'm over an hour + in using the Hitman Absolution trick. Still no crashes, everything maxed out with Tesselation on.

Feel pretty confident in saying it works.

ref

I'm starting to get lots of lag in cutscenes. It's weird because I'm fine during gameplay.

Do you have TressFX enabled? It chugs big time in cutscenes for me as well, otherwise it's mostly 55-60+ during gameplay.

The closer the camera is to the hair --- the lower the framerate gets I've seen.

MaLDo

The game has a lot of banding in every effect with High Precision on and off. :(

Really, is the king of banding.

You mad, what are you talking? After messing with crysis3 you should make sure that your desktop is no at 16-bit color. :( No banding in Tomb Raider.

For nvidia users with vsync problems, you have to disable the option "main display only" in the game launcher (to avoid the error) but then activate it from within the game. If you have only one gpu you have to use triplebuffer option but if you have sli, use double buffer.

Tessellation comparisson

Zeliard

I can't get the SMAA injector to work for some reason. Afterburner OSD is off, along with FXAA, so there shouldn't be any conflicts.

Just guessing from the name (I don't have the game yet) I'd say it uses 16 bit per component (instead of 8 bit) buffers for the rendering/postprocessing. If so, you should see the largest difference in HDR effects, and maybe some postprocessing-induced banding without high precision.

This makes sense, thank you.

Only crashed for me twice near the beginning of the game, after that it's been pretty stable (average 40fps) - played about 4hrs so far. I'm running everything maxed out except depth of field (normal) and FXAA on at 1920x1200. TressFX is also turned on. Is there a way to lock the framerate to 40fps? The spikes up and down in framerate is kinda annoying.

My rig
3770 @ 3.40Ghz
GTX 670
16gb ddr

Here's a screen from my game w/ custom SweetFX settings

Top Bottom