• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider PC Performance Thread

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

(Click for general game info.)

System requirements:
tombraider13sysreqswvjk9.jpg

tombraider13sysreqs_m0lksp.jpg

tombraider13sysreqs_l39jyr.jpg

Latest drivers: (as at 21/12/2017)
Nvidia: 388.71
AMD: 17.12.2
Intel: Depends on your processor; download the driver update utility

Tips and tricks:
Various CPU/GPU benchmarks and data: See this GameGPU article.
Note: The article is in Russian, but the data is presented via graphs.
Cap the framerate/potentially improve frametimes: Download RivaTuner Statistics Server, input your desired framerate limit in the "Framerate limit" box, and hit enter (the program comes bundled with MSI Afterburner and earlier versions of EVGA PrecisionX). Alternatively, those with an Nvidia GPU have the option of Nvidia Inspector, which can also be used to impose a framerate cap, either in a similar manner to RTSS or by way of forcing a different vsync interval (click the small tool icon to open the game profile section).
Note: Useful if you your system can't maintain, say, 60fps and you're sensitive to the wild fluctuations, or you're experiencing uneven frametimes. The greater window the engine has to render a given frame, if you're imposing a lower framerate than the game can otherwise provide, may also help in alleviating stuttering related to data streaming.
Stop the game from crashing after 15 minutes on touch-capable systems running Windows 10: Open the task manager, switch to the Services tab and disable TabletInputService.
Improve CPU performance/utilisation: See this post. Note that this may result in instability for those on Nvidia hardware. (Credit to Nixxes itself via angular graphics.)

icon_warning.png
When posting your own tip/trick or something else you'd like to see here in the OP, be sure to mention my username as this way the post will appear among the results when I search for my username after an absence. I may miss your suggestion otherwise.

Graphics settings:
trpc_basic9skok.jpg

trpc_advanced5zktl.jpg

Quality: Low; Normal; High; Ultra; Ultimate; Custom
Texture quality: Low; Normal; High; Ultra
Texture filter: Bilinear -> Anisotropic 16x
Anti-aliasing: Off; FXAA; 2x SSAA; 4x SSAA
Shadows: Off/Normal
Shadow resolution: Low/Normal/High
Level of detail: Low/Medium/Normal/High/Ultra
Hair quality: Normal/TressFX
Reflections: Off; Normal; High
Depth of field: Off; Normal; Ultra
SSAO: Off; Normal; Ultra

My benchmarks:
A benchmark option can be accessed from the main menu. Here are my results, using the settings mentioned in the images above:

(Specs: 8GB DDR3-1600, 2600K @ 4.6GHz, 2GB GTX 670 [314.14 betas] and Win7 x64.)

And another set, this time with TressFX disabled:

--------------------

Edit: SLI benchmarks (same settings and specs as mentioned above):

TressFX enabled:

Relative differences:
Min FPS: +22fps
Max FPS: +40.4fps
Avg FPS: +30.8fps

TressFX disabled:

Relative differences:
Min FPS: +43.1fps
Max FPS: +48.6fps
Avg FPS: +46.4fps

noomi

ah yes! was waiting for this thread!

Can't wait to hear results from owners with 680 cards. Let the fun begin!

DieH@rd

Banned
Its a shame there is no FOV slider. But other than that, game has everything I was hoping for. And it looks great.

Damian.

Banned
Really curious about the TressFX impact on performance. I don't have AMD so I'll miss out. :(

It can be used on all DirectX11 cards. Looks like it almost halves performance. What's your score with FXAA and not 2xSSAA?

Derrick01

Banned
Really curious about the TressFX impact on performance. I don't have AMD so I'll miss out. :(

You said this in the other thread and apparently didn't listen. Any DX11 card can work with this, and apparently you're not going to want to due to the performance hit and kind of shit implementation.

LiK

TressFX uses DirectCompute; it's not proprietary
ah, really. Great news.

You said this in the other thread and apparently didn't listen. Any DX11 card can work with this, and apparently you're not going to want to due to the performance hit and kind of shit implementation.

I didn't even check back on that older thread. So I didn't know there was a follow up.

JohngPR

I'd like to see what the performance is with only SSAO lowered (and or DOF as well), those can be a resource hog.

Wow, that's actually really...demanding. I was expecting my 670 to tear it up but it looks like it might just be marginal at those settings.

L.O.R.D

found the first glitch
the great wall of rain
m5zn_b252f059091f0ba.jpg

after you pass it
m5zn_374196b9b5be70e.jpg

the frame rate drop some times, and some times its above 80

Lime

For the record, on Quality "Ultra", AMD HD6900

http://www.abload.de/img/captureubkvj.png[iMG]

[IMG]http://www.abload.de/img/withh5k80.png[IMG]

Drop of, 19 fps but otherwise seems reasonable.[/QUOTE]

Which 69xx card are you referring to?

I didn't know any games allowed "Double Buffer". I've always assumed it was Triple Buffering or bust.

Always assume in-game Vsync to be double buffered unless explicitly mentioned otherwise.

There's a reason why most PC gamers have to resort to external apps like D3DOverrider for the true Triple buffered Vsync experience, most games don't natively allow you to enable that option.

No_Style

I hope the huge gulf between min and max FPS are not indicative of the actual game experience itself. I'll tone down settings to get it in line.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is the benchmark available as a standalone or does it only come with the game?

It's accessible only in-game and I wouldn't expect this to change.

I learn this just after I purchased a GTX 670 lol.

I'm considering biting the bullet on a second one. :p I've long planned to do so as my old 570 has been sitting in my PC going unused since I stopped playing Borderlands 2 a few months ago (I'd dedicated it to PhysX), and I should be able to flog it off on eBay for ~$180 which is roughly half the cost of a 670.

Varna

Yeah... that special hair really doesn't seem worth it.

Glad the game has an in-game benchmark at least. I doubt even my 690GTX could do 60 FPS with TressFX though.

Top Bottom