• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Too Asian? - An Article on Universities

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zzoram said:
What? A lot of table top games are quite social. 6-player settlers of Catan is a blast. A lot of the game is negotiating deals with waiting time spent in casual conversation.
:lol

OK. I read that as bored game... :lol

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
I didn't realize my attendance at college and law school was keeping the white man down.

Hmm...eff it, I'm gonna get my MBA now and disenfranchise more of them!

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
I shared the link with a friend of mine, her reply was:

"Canada is so boring even their racism is watered down."

ChiTownBuffalo

ChiTownBuffalo

donkey show said:
Sounds like you're trying to catch a rare pokemon.

You figure, with so many Chinese people, they wouldn't be rare Pokemons.

Chinese - So many of them.

Japanese - Less rare, because I think on the whole they are a really affable people.

Koreans - Rare. Because if you are not Korean, they hate you.

Burghers - Super rare.

TheExodu5

Banned
ChiTownBuffalo said:

Japanese - Less rare, because I think on the whole they are a really affable people.

Burghers - Super rare.

There are tons of Ponytas...but it takes a lot of effort to catch a shiny Ponyta.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Neo C. said:
From my experience and observation, it has more to do with the social classes. Most asian kids who got good degrees have educated parents or at least parents who appreciate education highly. From the outside view, it seems like asians are moving up socially faster than other ethnicities, but truth is that their parents aren't uneducated, they just often don't have the chance to succeed on their own.
It seems like you're only looking at the Asian immigrant experience. Back home in China, Korea and Japan, they are insane for studying too. Sorry, but I don't think a local (American?) immigrant circumstance really explains the Asian zeal for studying as much as 2500 years of state-supported Confucianism does.

TheExodu5

Banned
358nwvs.jpg

ChiTownBuffalo said:

Burghers - Super rare.
North Koreans - Legendary?

Zzoram

Davidion said:
So now not only is Canada America's hat, the hat is also RACIST?
Weakly racist. Our schools pretty much just look at GPA. It's just the lazy kids and their parents who complain about Asians raising te bar at school. American ivy leagues limit the number of Asians allowed in because if they went by grades they would be mostly Asian and they don't want that.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
TheExodu5 said:
Mind blown!

I can make two conclusions from this:

1. Southern Ontario = Canada's Florida

2. Canada and USA are gay lovers, but USA is the bottom

Davidion

Zzoram said:
Weakly racist. Our schools pretty much just look at GPA. It's just the lazy kids and their parents who complain about Asians raising te bar at school. American ivy leagues limit the number of Asians allowed in because if they went by grades they would be mostly Asian and they don't want that.

So chitownbuffalo's friend is right? :lol

TheExodu5 said:
http://i53.tinypic.com/358nwvs.jpg

:lol

ChiTownBuffalo

esquire

Has waited diligently to think of something to say before making this post
JayDub said:
The fact that she calls other asians "FOB" means she should "shut the fuck up."

Aiyah, I apologize. I dont want to offend you. Its just that, "self segregation" does exist in a very disgusting form within western asian cultures, and that is asians hating on asians. The whole asian gang epidemic in America practically started because "american" asians were making fun of asians that had a thick accent.

I'll talk to someone and it'd be like, "Oh, you're into FOBS?" And its not just the "american" asians that do this; the "foreign" asians get defensive and do this too. They call us "ABC"

Fuck that shit. I've said it before and ill say it again. Cut that shit out.

No offense taken. I have an accent, so I understand why people would want to associate more closely with people who speak the language they themselves are more comfortable speaking (i.e. not English), it's just that they in effect are "self-segregating" even if it is not with malicious intent. Language just happens to be one of the easiest ways to separate yourself from someone else. It's not that any language that isn't English is bad, it's that when you are in a social setting inclusion is preferable to exclusion.

ChiTownBuffalo

I only have one bad thinig to say about FOB's.

Rio_Img_Hotspot5.jpg

Deku

Banned
ChiTownBuffalo said:

Wait aren't you of Korean descent?

I've always felt that they treat non Koreans differently

ChiTownBuffalo

Deku said:
Wait aren't you of Korean descent?

I've always felt that they treat non Koreans differently

Yeah, I'm Korean.

But I'm not above be honest about my people's flaws.

Korey

ChiTownBuffalo said:
All this hackneyed stereptyping of Asians has lead to one conclusion.

The world needs the K-Town reality show more than ever.
What's the status on K-Town? I'm guessing no network picked it up?

Kittonwy

Banned
Zzoram said:
http://oncampus.macleans.ca/education/2010/11/10/too-asian/

---

I think this article both hits and misses. It's true that Asian students TEND to be higher achievers, that could be both the result of selective immigration picking educated parents and cultural values as stated in the article. I just think the stereotype that Asian students "aren't social" is really code for "don't do what we do". As they pointed out, Asian students TEND to dislike the drinking clubbing scene and favour playing table top games and likely video games at social events. How is this being anti-social? Since when is drinking and clubbing a requirement to be considered social, and since when was drinking and clubbing an essential part of the university culture that's being "lost" because of "too many Asians"?

The bit about Asians being the new Jews, and how bullshit "personality" admission criteria to strong academic programs are just excuses to secretly quota limit Asians struck me as obvious once I thought about it. I don't see how someone can be more "well rounded" because they play football instead of hosting LAN parties or Mah-Jong night, or why any of those things would affect how good an engineer or doctor you would be.

I think Macleans is overblowing the "too Asian" sentiment in Canada since we don't have the same level of anti-immigrant sentiment as the US. However, I do think that this thinking is starting to rise. The article does finally reach a good point about how universities should stick to merit-based admission and just encourage mingling between self-selecting groups on campus. However, mingling is something ALL groups need, not just Asian groups. It's not like Asian groups descriminate against whites, I know plenty of white people who are fully integrated into mostly Asian circles of friends simply because they value education and are a bit "nerdy" and they like to be with like-minded people.

I think the real question Macleans should be asking is not "how do we make Asians drink and club more" but instead "how do we make North American-born whites value education more than drinking and clubbing and sports".

My family immigrated to Toronto when I was young, I went to U of T (because it was basically free) and I found that the student body had very little spirit because people just cared about going to class and making their grades and that's pretty much it, you have a large portion of the student body living in the city and asian students in general really don't participate much if at all, they don't mingle, you have a large portion of the arts and science student body whose only purpose in life is to get into "medical/dental/pharmacy", and the asian engineering students all want to get into double E.

Personally I didn't even give a shit about people at the campus until I started living in res, there is very little mingling when it comes to those who don't live on campus because you have a lot of people who don't speak english for the most part and they go home after class right away, it's not about being nerdy, it's about cultural and racial self-segregation and lack of integration which is rampant in the city of Toronto, and arts and science graduates from U of T suffer from a general lack of life skills as well, like interpersonal skills, you go to school, go to classes, go home, eat at home, you don't really get a chance to learn how to take care of yourselves or get to know the people you go to classes with except for maybe a few of them.

If I could do it all over again I would have gone to Queen's or Western or Waterloo.

ChiTownBuffalo

Korey said:
What's the status on K-Town? I'm guessing no network picked it up?

MTV is. They own the distribution rights and aired some cast profiles.

It is sadly coming to fruition.

Kittonwy

Banned
Zzoram said:
To whites who think asians hang out too much with their own, do you hang out mostly with whites? Have you ever tried to hang out with asians? I'm pretty sure these groups are open to outsiders, it's just outsiders see everyone in the group looks the same and steer clear.

If you're a white person would you hang out with chinese people who call you a ghost (gwailo)? We made names for every fucking ethnic group including whites, blacks and browns.

A lot of immigrants in Canada don't think of themselves as Canadians, they think of themselves as members of a particular ethnic group who just happen to have immigrated to Canada, that's the problem, immigrants don't integrate, there's no melting pot, anywhere there's a large minority population it discourages people from integrating, you have second generation chinese who only speak english and they're frowned upon because they're "white-washed" or they're "bananas", somehow if you don't view yourself as "chinese", there's a problem, other immigrant groups don't necessarily like dealing with chinese either, there's a lot of discrimination everywhere.

Kittonwy

Banned
ccbfan said:
This article is pure bullshit.

I'm Asian and I went to a top Engineering school with like a ton of Asians. I though got to see both ends of the spectrum as I have "white" interest (smoking, drinking and sports) and "Asian" interest (video games and Asian media). So I got perspective from both ends.

A lot of Asians just don't like to drink. Heck a lot of Asians just can't drink. Most I know are two beers and done. Most of the girls are one beer and done. So if your definition of "hanging out" is drinking then sure Asian people don't "hang out". As for sports sadly a lot of Asians just don't have a good body for sports that are popular in school. (Basketball and football)

But if "hanging out" include getting together for a common interest then Asian people hang out. Asian people hang out just fine with white people as long as you're all doing shit they enjoy. Go to video game clubs or anime clubs and I'm sure you'll see tons of Asians and white people mingling and having a good time.

Not true, asians do drink (although most don't hold their liquor well), they just go to their own karaoke clubs and order lady drinks. Anime and videogame clubs aren't that popular, karaoke still is.

beat

AlphaTwo00 said:
I find it interesting that the article itself has been pulled now...

Bravo, Macleans.

How the mighty has fallen.
It's back now. Anyone with more time want to take a crack at seeing if anything differs from the original version?

Well, the paragraph that starts with "Diane Bondy" now appears twice in the article, though I'm not sure that's an improvement. And it still repeats the line about "going back to Confucius". So if there's a change, then it's that the article has become more poorly written.

see5harp

It seems a little ridiculous to say that segregation is a problem with asian students and not with every other racial group in college. How many white kids hang out with black kids? How many of the black kids hang out with white groups? That being said, learn fucking english or GTFO.

Zzoram

I was reading a bit about the history of Chinese in Canada and realized that this Mcleans article is actually very similar to the W-FIVE (CTV) news story in 1979 where a white girl complained that university spots were all being taken by Chinese students. That news report used false statistics and portrayed all Chinese Canadians as "foreigners" though so it was much more critically received.

I guess the "too Asian" universities issue has always been around and takes prominence every now and then with some news report.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom