• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Too Human – Stand and be counted

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDG

Banned
X26 said:
People are really exaggerating any sort of impact this thread and the mentions on various gaming sites has

Impact on reviews: none

Impact on sales: none

Impact on GAF: lulz

Hell this thread hasn't even been about TH for awhile, now it's just thinly veiled console warzz consisting of the usual suspects, with TH somehow representing the 360 as a whole to fanboys on both sides
Yeah, I love the melodrama in this thread. People think that this is part of some grand plan by Denis to do... something or that this is sending shockwaves around the industry. God, people, get some perspective.

This is like when people talk about how GAFers come up with the best gifs.

Tobor

kaching said:
Nah, the bet is brilliant. The majority of the Fors won't be willing to back down from that position and it will guarantee the game some level of positive reception because they'll be more likely to rationalize in the games favor, whether it deserves it or not.

Anyone done a tally on the Fors and Against in this thread?

If we(we being "for's") are wrong, I'm pretty sure it will be owned up to. Even the most ardent Lair defenders eventually gave up the ghost.

If the game sucks , it sucks. I genuinely don't want it to suck, but it has nothing to do with Dyack, and everything to do with wanting to play a good game.

Cheerilee

Death_Born said:
Have you gone insane, boy? That would mean banning half the people who posted in this thread!

I RIKE IT!
You think it'll go one way or another? I don't. TH will probably land somewhere in the middle. But if it doesn't, then there should be some serious hurting ready to be handed out for either side.

Death_Born said:
jiyj2r.jpg

Have you gone insane, boy? That would mean banning half the people who posted in this thread!

I RIKE IT!
as do i :D no matter how it turns out this one would go down in internet history:lol

Tobor

Speevy said:
That's what I figured, but as I've never seen the film I couldn't guess.

You should. It's considered the finest example of American cinema ever produced. It's like the Too Human of film.

OniShiro

Banned
I really want to love this game, but I have mixed feelings.

I'll say For though, because I'm willing to give Dennis the benefit of the doubt.

Flavius

the disgruntled gamer said:
Yeah, I love the melodrama in this thread. People think that this is part of some grand plan by Denis to do... something or that this is sending shockwaves around the industry. God, people, get some perspective.

This is like when people talk about how GAFers come up with the best gifs.

You are so right. This has absolutely nothing to do with the game's upcoming release and garnering attention for the title.

No, really. It's all just one big coincidence.

Goddamn some of you guys need to buy a clue.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Wow how did I miss this thread, oh that's right had Too Human in the title.

Flavius

JoeLang said:
Obviously not since Skip admitted that he and Luke did not know the true story and we're wrong. But yeah, cling to your story if you want.

Stop being a douche and obfuscating the point. He made a thinly veiled threat towards Luke in the thread, which I quoted for your viewing pleasure. My point didn't extend beyond that.

Spin the record all you want, the song's the same.

Flavius said:
You are so right. This has absolutely nothing to do with the game's upcoming release and garnering attention for the title.

funny you should say that :lol :lol

So...is anyone keeping a tally here? I haven't been following the game much but from what I've gathered...sci-fi Diablo-esque loot gathering game...with bald space marines. Is it possible to customize your character any further than his equipment? I'm getting tired of that crap.

TDG

Banned
Flavius said:

:lol :lol :lol

Yes, because the people who read GAF are so blissfully unaware of upcoming releases. Besides, Too Human threads usually maintain such a low profile on GAF, Denis had to make this thread to garner some attention.

:lol

einhard

Flavius said:

GAF is the center of the gaming universe? While it may be to you, back in reality it isn't.

FightyF

Banned
Perdew said:
Sorry to be late, this moves fast.

So, you picked one sarcastic comment from my recent post history and think that makes me look like an ass? Against Mortal Kombat vs DC? Realllly?

I apologize, I thought you were completely serious. Hard to read sarcasm over the net.

So, I made him a fair proposal, but he's obviously trying to bait the mods, so it's pointless defending or going against him. When Evilore wanted to make this something that would be fun and beneficial (a charitable bet... that's a pretty friendly endeavor honestly, even at $1,000), Denis ignored him and brought up that we can compare his game in some fashion to Lair and Haze? And not Eternal Darkness? Fuck that noise, yo.

Note that he's not making a bet to any other forum, or to the gamers that post here, or to anyone else besides the mods. Think about that.

It's clear that he also sees the double standards applied to TH threads, and he wants to challenge this in his own way. Is it childish? Maybe, I can definitely see an argument there.

What I find interesting is that the mods here are shying away from his bet. His terms for the bet are in recognition of NeoGAF's attitude towards the game and the acceptance of trolling for his game only. NeoGAF is a highly respected forum, one reason being due to the moderation and the great jobs the mods do. The attitude towards TH is a very notable exception here.

Again, a summary of this situation:
GAF mods: Game is gonna be shit, troll to your hearts content guys
Dyack: It's not going to be shit. If it is, change my tag
GAF mods: Ok, the deal is the game has to be STELLAR, if not you have to donate $1000.

Dennis may accept because he's a great guy...but I don't think it's fair. The whole reason why he called this particular forum out (he could be ANY forum $1000 that it will get over 90%) is because of the manner this forum has treated him and his game. Any bet should recognize that.

Flavius

flintstryker said:
funny you should say that :lol :lol

They're currently buy one get one free, in case anyone is interested.

All proceeds will go to charity, which might entail removing a lot of sandcastles from a lot of vaginas.

Darth Sonik

we need more FPS games
verio said:
Wait, Haze received positive hype?!

Last I remember, Haze was getting shit on, left and right.

Or, my memory is failing me.

Oh, it was shit on, until one fateful day when it was announced as as a PS3 exclusive. From that day on, a certain proportion of the internet started up the rusted up hype machine in a futile effort.

Flavius

einhard said:
GAF is the center of the gaming universe? While it may be to you, back in reality it isn't.

You remind me of that character off of In Living Color, who walks out of the cave in the 1990's and realizes that slavery has been abolished.

How long has this thread been going and how many websites have referenced it thus far? How many do you think will have referenced it by week's end?

Disgruntled: same reply in your direction as well.

Open your eyes.

the world needs more awesome diablo-esque games... so i'm all for.

p.s. i hope dennis is sitting back laughing at everybody taking this so seriously... i know i am. :lol

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
I've never gotten the fascination with Silicon Knights. I thought Eternal Darkness was a piece of shit and Twin Snakes was mediocre. This studio has never made anything worthy of this amount of attention.

The majority of people in this thread don't even give a shit about Too Human. :lol

They're here for the entertainment of watching this clown Dyack make a fool of himself on an online forum.

If Too Human bombs, he's done.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Tobor said:
If we(we being "for's") are wrong, I'm pretty sure it will be owned up to. Even the most ardent Lair defenders eventually gave up the ghost.
I didn't say all Fors would defend it to the death, but Dyack enlisting people to his cause like this is certainly going to slow the rate of fall off, if the game isn't all it's cracked up to be. It's a good bit of gaming the Internets on his part. It doesn't really go sour for him unless the game is really bad.

TDG

Banned
Flavius said:
You remind me of that character off of In Living Color, who walks out of the cave in the 1990's and realizes that slavery has been abolished.

How long has this thread been going and how many websites have referenced it thus far? How many do you think will have referenced it by week's end?

Open your eyes.
The length of the thread indicates that a lot of people on GAF have posted here. And as I posted, Too Human is already well-known to GAFers. So... what exactly is your point?

Yes, GAF is fairly well-known to hardcore gamers and has been mentioned on the kind of blogs that hardcore gamers would read... the same people who know what games are coming out when. So do you want to explain to me how this thread is influencing the industry? Because I'm thinking this looks like a goofy thread on an internet forum, and some seem to think this is the million man march.

xbhaskarx

Denis Dyack said:
The currency is the tag and metascore is the metric - don't try to change the bet. All those "for" and "against" get their tags changed. To all the mods - pick your meta score. Here is some troll reference from your camp to save you time:

Haze (PS3) Avg Ratio: 57%
Lair (PS3) Avg Ratio: 56%

Don't go to high or you may show your true colors. :) No more crying, no more trolling, just pick.

All the people saying "Dyack thinks Lair and Haze should be the standard" seem to have missed this part (even though it was bolded and underlined):

To all the mods - pick your meta score.

Arguing 90% Metascore should be the standard is just ridiculous. People always say this game is "shitty" and clearly a game with a Metascore in the 80s is not shitty. Recent examples: Ninja Gaiden 2 is at 81, Civilization Revoluton is currently 82. People do not post fifty comments about how shitty those two games are in every thread. And they certainly didn't months before they were released. And even if a few did, GAF mods don't usually get in on the trolling. Now these people can't agree on the line being set at 80+? Then why do they constantly hate on this game?

Kusagari

Flavius said:

Open your eyes.

You seriously think anyone that goes to a site that references this thread does not know what Too Human is?

Flavius

The length of the thread indicates that a lot of people on GAF have posted here. And as I posted, Too Human is already well-known to GAFers. So... what exactly is your point.

Yes, GAF is fairly well-known to hardcore gamers... the same people who know what games are coming out when. So do you want to explain to me how this thread is influencing the industry?

Jesus, are you being intentionally obtuse here or what?

I'm referencing other websites. You know, those that exist outside of GAF. Hard to believe, I'm sure, but there is a vast series of tubes out there beyond the Gaming Age Forums.

As far as "influencing the industry," I'm not so sure I see that as much as I see simple generation of discussion. Conversations across the internets in regards to this latest iteration of Too Human had died down considerably post E3 2006 (which was somewhat intentional on Silicon Knights part, I'm sure). Limit the flow of new information and eventually, people run out of shit to say. Now that the game is nearing release, I'm sure Denis and company have decided to stimulate the flow of communication once again (outside of the other projects they're already engaged in, obviously) and this is just another step in that general direction.

As others have already stated, it's a fairly safe and effective method for promoting the game. I'm just not quite sure why some of you have such a difficult time comprehending exactly what's going on here.

einhard

xbhaskarx said:
Arguing 90% Metascore should be the standard is just ridiculous.
If you're going to take anything Denis has said seriously the metascore should be set at Silicon Knights best game. Too Human is going to be their best right?

Speevy

Banned
No one outside of gaming forumdom cares about too human. Its one chance at success resides with making it look like a badass action title with lots of scifi neon greens and blues comprising what I'm loosely calling the art design. And that only rings true because it's on the xbox 360, where bad games can accidentally break a million.

Flavius

Kusagari said:
You seriously think anyone that goes to a site that references this thread does not know what Too Human is?

I'm not being facetious here, but do you really know what Too Human is?

I know the name, that it's something along the lines of Diablo and it involves Norse mythology. Beyond that and a couple of screenshots that I've seen here, that's about all I know about Too Human, and I'm not afraid to admit that I'm pretty heavily involved in gaming news and what's going on in the industry.

I'm willing to bet I'm not alone.

This is such a silly thread.

Now that the game is nearing release, I'm sure Denis and company have decided to stimulate the flow of communication once again (outside of the other projects they're already engaged in, obviously) and this is just another step in that general direction.

Is this really how we want them to stimulate 'communication'. He is just basically baiting trolls.

Why are some of you people encouraging this behavior?

As I have said before he would have gotten big props(from me at least) if he actually decided to come in and give us some interesting info about the game or even the upcoming demo. Or opened up a discussion to quell the fears that the multiplayer balance is not going to suffer because of the cut back to four players. I would have happily participated in such a thread if he came in with a well thought out post which defended and backed up his game that he is working so hard on.

But instead we get this

Flavius

Speevy said:
No one outside of gaming forumdom cares about too human. Its one chance at success resides with making it look like a badass action title with lots of scifi neon greens and blues comprising what I'm loosely calling the art design. And that only rings true because it's on the xbox 360, where bad games can accidentally break a million.

Here's some interesting reading for those of you who aren't quite getting it.

TDG

Banned
Flavius said:
Jesus, are you being intentionally obtuse here or what?

I'm referencing other websites. You know, those that exist outside of GAF. Hard to believe, I'm sure, but there is a vast series of tubes out there beyond the Gaming Age Forums.
Well, you've already got two responses to that (one of them from my edit that you didn't catch), here they are:
Kusagari said:
Yes, GAF is fairly well-known to hardcore gamers and has been mentioned on the kind of blogs that hardcore gamers would read... the same people who know what games are coming out when.

Flavius said:
Now that the game is nearing release, I'm sure Denis and company have decided to stimulate the flow of communication once again (outside of the other projects they're already engaged in, obviously) and this is just another step in that general direction.
I'm sorry, I just don't understand why Denis/SK would think the best way to get people talking about Too Human would be for Denis to post a thread on NeoGAF.

Making a thread on a forum calling out the trolls and moderators on that forum doesn't exactly scream, "beginning of the marketing push!"

einhard

Flavius said:
I'm not being facetious here, but do you really know what Too Human is?

I know the name, that it's something along the lines of Diablo and it involves Norse mythology. Beyond that and a couple of screenshots that I've seen here, that's about all I know about Too Human, and I'm not afraid to admit that I'm pretty heavily involved in gaming news and what's going on in the industry.

I'm willing to bet I'm not alone.
Thats a fair point, Denis did a really good job of taking advantage of the increased awareness to let alot of new people know what Too Human is, what it does differently and why they should by it. He truly is master of forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom