• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Too Human – Stand and be counted

Status
Not open for further replies.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
developers fighting the internet is like 300 lb chicks engaging in mud wrestling

We all get dirty

and nobody is satisfied

Speevy said:
Like I said, count the million sellers. It's quite a bit different.

If it's a PS2 port from Ubisoft, that hardly needs to sell very much to be considered successful.

Also, Haze bombed.

Count the million sellers and shitty games on the PS2.

Kittonwy

Banned
DCharlie said:
this is just going round in circles.

Can we just have Evil restate the bet but with a more realistic score that at least makes the bet fun?

90 - is obviously way too high

80 seems to be a fair mark for good

if we want "shitty" then it's 60

70-75?

It depends on how good Dyack thinks his game is, if it's supposed to be the best game that comes out this year then it has to beat GTAIV's metacritic score of 98 and MGS4's 94, if we take him literally then Dyack's game has to be better than the rest of the games coming out this year even if he doesn't want to be compared to GTAIV or MGS4, the only other big games this year are basically Gears and Resistance 2.

Frankly I find it rather disingenuous to propose a bet and then tell the other side "not to set the bar too high so I can win otherwise you show your true colors", it's like someone tells you he'll punch you in the face and then you can hit him back but not too hard because he doesn't want to be knocked out and lose the fight, you have to make it so that you give him a good chance to win otherwise he labels you as having a predisposed motherfucking bias, that kind of shit is just CRAZY.

Evilore is manning the fuck up and putting up the dough, he can set the bar as high as he wants, there's no need to resort to kids gloves, reasonable developers don't fucking go to forums and telling people if you're not for my game I'm going to fucking own you when it comes out and if the press thinks it's as good as I want them to think.
Indifferent2.gif

Dirtbag

this thread :lol

Ne:lolGaf™

I don't even know what to say, and I was initially trying to be whitty. The fact that this thread was brought to us by Dyack..... (Joke account?)

Speevy

Banned
godhandiscen said:
Everything sells according to its ratio. Do you think a game like R&C or MotorStorm would have even hit the top 10 of the 360 charts? There is more competition on the 360 side. Yes, its true there is a higuer userbase, and a title has to be a total piece of crap to sell below 200k units, but its not like any title from the PS3 or Wii would even be popular on the 360. For example, a game like Resistance would have been forgotten long time ago on the 360, and wouldnt even have half its userbase since it wouldn't be a pack in that came with every other console. Thats called competition. If Too Human was to be released on the PS3, right now Kittonwy would have an official thread of anticipation, and you would be kissing Denis' ass. Also, since Sony has a drought from here until LBP, R2, most likely Too Human would be amazingly anticipated. Isnt that the truth?
l

I think those are some amazing generalizations, and I don't agree with them very much.

But there is less competition on the PS3, that's true. However, I think those PS3 games could find great success on the Xbox 360.

It's not a terrible generalization however to say that releasing a third party title on the Xbox 360 just makes good business sense.

Spirit3

For, despite the fact online has basically lost it's charm. Might still be fun to play with my friend but I was hoping to play with him and two online buddies which in Halo resulted in awesome times.

godhandiscen said:
Everything sells according to its ratio. Do you think a game like R&C or MotorStorm would have even hit the top 10 of the 360 charts? There is more competition on the 360 side. Yes, its true there is a higuer userbase, and a title has to be a total piece of crap to sell below 200k units, but its not like any title from the PS3 or Wii would even be popular on the 360. For example, a game like Resistance would have been forgotten long time ago on the 360, and wouldnt even have half its userbase since it wouldn't be a pack in that came with every other console. Thats called competition. If Too Human was to be released on the PS3, right now Kittonwy would have an official thread of anticipation, and you would be kissing Denis' ass. Also, since Sony has a drought from here until LBP, R2, most likely Too Human would be amazingly anticipated. Isnt that the truth?

Evidence that supports my post. I remember there was even a thread with people who claimed the demo was amazingly solid and had graphics like Crysis. :lol

Thats half the problem, it must be a game that appeals to them to get this sort of venom from the SDF.

FOR (i'll give anything a chance)

Atomspike

:lol :lol :lol :lol
Denis , by making this thread , you proved yourself as the biggest loser in the gaming industry.
fucking pathetic.

Coverly

Speevy said:
Well those games only sell well by the standard of their budgets.

he got you. Why do you try to worm your way out? You said games of questionable quality and he gave a perfect example.

Speevy

Banned
Coverly said:
he got you. Why do you try to worm your way out? You said games of questionable quality and he gave a perfect example.

Because there's selling 200K lifetime while making a profit and selling 1 million worldwide just to break even.

I wasn't disagreeing, just making a distinction.

Kittonwy

Banned
godhandiscen said:

Evidence that supports my post. I remember there was even a thread with people who claimed the demo was amazingly solid and had graphics like Crysis. :lol

I can state for a fact that I wouldn't be hyping Too Human even if it's on the PS3, I really only try to spread the word on specific games like Uncharted and Resistance that I happen to like in terms of game mechanics, and Uncharted and Resistance are also games I've already completed on all difficulties, so let's not get crazy here.

I'm interested in seeing where Too Human goes one way or the other. I've gradually softened to it over the year or so. The dreaded E3 where the EGM shit came down it looked awful, the following year it looked generic but passable (the video where the main character fought that robot in the bar, I think), but I've been getting a little bit of genuine interest in the title in the last few months.

Too bad the gaming site I work for hasn't climbed high enough on the corporate ladder to where I could start getting free games. :p Maybe I could get my cousin to let me piggy back is employee discount where he works...

Tieno

While I'm not against drawing a 'line' for shits and giggles, the whole tagging stuff is stupid.

I initially thought it wasn't meant as a serious thing, but for fun. But even websites are starting to cover this.
Anyway, I'm gonna edit out my 'for' stance.

Chrange

Banned
Kittonwy said:
It depends on how good Dyack thinks his game is, if it's supposed to be the best game that comes out this year then it has to beat GTAIV's metacritic score of 98 and MGS4's 94, if we take him literally then Dyack's game has to be better than the rest of the games coming out this year even if he doesn't want to be compared to GTAIV or MGS4, the only other big games this year are basically Gears and Resistance 2.

Too bad he never said that, isn't it?

Kittonwy said:

Its funny how mindless the Sony brigade is. You managed to type all that that you couldn't even be bothered reading the OP properly.

barnacles

Banned
Kittonwy said:
What about the mud? Does the mud gets satisfied?

Nope. Mud is inert and inanimate. Unless you're an animist. Then I guess you'd have to worry about communicating with the soul of the mud. I bet you'd look pretty funny doing that.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Evilore is manning the fuck up and putting up the dough

no, he's putting up DENIS's cash on a stupidly one sided bet.

come on, 90%? even UNCHARTED!!11!!! RAWR didn't reach that!

Kittonwy

Banned
TheHeretic said:
Its funny how mindless the Sony brigade is. You managed to type all that that you couldn't even be bothered reading the OP properly.

Ok I'll quote him then:

"I feel Too Human is a great game, likely to be better than most that will come out this year. I certainly feel it is the best game we have ever made. I also believe the press and gamers alike will believe this."

No he didn't literally say it's going to be GOTY if you want to be picky about it. If you take him literally Too Human would have to be better than games like Gears and Resistance 2 unless by "most" somehow Gears and Resistance aren't included in the mix.
Indifferent2.gif

Kittonwy said:
Ok I'll quote him then:

"I feel Too Human is a great game, likely to be better than most that will come out this year. I certainly feel it is the best game we have ever made. I also believe the press and gamers alike will believe this."

No he didn't literally say it's going to be GOTY if you want to be picky about it. If you take him literally Too Human would have to be better than games like Gears and Resistance 2 unless by "most" somehow Gears and Resistance aren't included in the mix.
Indifferent2.gif

HIM
: I feel Too Human is a great game, likely to be better than most that will come out this year

YOU: It depends on how good Dyack thinks his game is, if it's supposed to be the best game that comes out this year then it has to beat GTAIV's metacritic score of 98 and MGS4's 94

I'm not being picky, you just didn't bother to read the OP and thought you could bluff your way through it.

Monocle

Would a man who is truly confident in his work issue a challenge in response to negative buzz? Dyack might have been better advised to interact with his prospective audience in a more constructive way. Say, by hosting an informal Q&A thread to learn more about this community's impression of his game and address some of our concerns with concrete answers at the same time. You know, try to sustain an actual dialogue instead of impulsively announcing a wager of all things. One look at the proposed stakes and anyone should realize this is a farce.

Truth be told, I don't really care about Too Human. After viewing all the videos available on Marketplace, my impression of the game is cool at best. While the plot sounds reasonably interesting (as adapted mythology often does), the art design is insipid and the gameplay doesn't seem terribly engaging. Bland is how I'd describe the full package. I will, of course, give it a second look if a demo is released, though I must say this thread hasn't done much to increase my interest in the project, much less my respect for it.

Speevy

Banned
TheHeretic said:

See, here's the difference. TheHeretic did in fact group an entire fanbase and insult them, whereas I didn't.

Wait, wasn't Speevy a rabid Xbox supporter before?

What happened?

3x red light special

Kittonwy

Banned
TheHeretic said:

HIM
: I feel Too Human is a great game, likely to be better than most that will come out this year

YOU: It depends on how good Dyack thinks his game is, if it's supposed to be the best game that comes out this year then it has to beat GTAIV's metacritic score of 98 and MGS4's 94

I'm not being picky, you just didn't bother to read the OP and thought you could bluff your way through it.

"if we take him literally then Dyack's game has to be better than the rest of the games coming out this year"

Indifferent2.gif

Orlics

Speevy said:
See, here's the difference. TheHeretic did in fact group an entire fanbase and insult them, whereas I didn't.

3x red light special

I remember you actually WANTING your 360 to 3RL to get a Falcon though. I didn't expect a complete 180, as it were.

Kittonwy said:
"if we take him literally then Dyack's game has to be better than the rest of the games coming out this year"

Indifferent2.gif

What the hells the difference? Nothing Dyack said leads to the conclusion "has to be better than the rest of the games coming out this year".

You are wrong, good day sir.

verio

TheHeretic said:

HIM

Wow, now you're just grasping at straws. Better? Best? Big fucking deal.

This thread was funny, but it's pretty sad now.

DCharlie

"if we take him literally then Dyack's game has to be better than the rest of the games coming out this year

no... better than MOST. THINK about it.

and if we take the haters view, the game will be utter garbage. So it'll be worse than most.

Kuran

Banned
Kittonwy said:

Indifferent2.gif

I didn't read that into it at all. Give it up already.

It'll probably be better than Horsez, at least. Thats how I read it.

Speevy

Banned
Orlics said:
I remember you actually WANTING your 360 to 3RL to get a Falcon though. I didn't expect a complete 180, as it were.

Yeah, I didn't expect it either. But I didn't get rid of my Xbox 360. It belongs to a relative now.

Kittonwy

Banned
TheHeretic said:
What the hells the difference? Nothing Dyack said leads to the conclusion "has to be better than the rest of the games coming out this year".

You are wrong, good day sir.

He said it's better than most of the games that will come out this year, most of the games that will come out this year include games like Gears 2 and Resistance 2, no?

verio said:
Wow, now you're just grasping at straws. Better? Best? Big fucking deal.

This thread was funny, but it's pretty sad now.

Better and best are two completely different words for fucks sake.

Kittonwy said:
He said it's better than most of the games that will come out this year, most of the games that will come out this year include games like Gears 2 and Resistance 2, no?

There are hundreds of games coming out this year, not just the big hitters. You are trying to rearrange your initial statement, which is hard to do on a forum because anyone can go read it.

DCharlie

wow, he gets to you that bad?

i have an aversion to inanity - and he provides it in spades. I thought i was on his ignore list, but i see he sees me!

WOOF BARK BUY TOO HUMAN. XBOX DOG LIKE LOTS, I WANT PLAY AWESOME GAME OF AWESOmE ON BESTEST MACHINE. PLEASE DYACK MAKE DOG HAPPY!

you are being deliberately obtuse here, and you fucking know it.
Stop acting the dick,

Kittonwy

Banned
DCharlie said:
no... better than MOST. THINK about it.

and if we take the haters view, the game will be utter garbage. So it'll be worse than most.

Better than most is not the same as not worse than most, you can be mediocre and right in the middle of the pack and you wouldn't be worse than most, to be better than most you can't be in the middle of the pack, you would have to be better than most of the pack, it would have to be a top-tier game instead of simply not sucking.

Kittonwy said:

Frankly I find it rather disingenuous to propose a bet and then tell the other side "not to set the bar too high so I can win otherwise you show your true colors", it's like someone tells you he'll punch you in the face and then you can hit him back but not too hard because he doesn't want to be knocked out and lose the fight, you have to make it so that you give him a good chance to win otherwise he labels you as having a predisposed motherfucking bias, that kind of shit is just CRAZY.

Evilore is manning the fuck up and putting up the dough, he can set the bar as high as he wants, there's no need to resort to kids gloves, reasonable developers don't fucking go to forums and telling people if you're not for my game I'm going to fucking own you when it comes out and if the press thinks it's as good as I want them to think.
Indifferent2.gif

Dyack didn't say his game will be the best game this year at all. He said he believes it will be one of the best games this year.

90 on metacritic is unfair I think due to all the crap this game has been through. Then again, if its really that good, it should receive 90%.

Were it not for all the negative press this game has gotten I wouldn't feel there was anything wrong with a 90% on metacritic. I expect 86-90%. Lowest 83-85, which still means the game was generally well received by critics.

For those that want the bar to be set at 90%, I understand where you guys are coming from, but understand that the 90% expectation is possibly a bit too high considering what this game has been through and it could be seen as a slight backpedal from just how terrible some were expecting this game to end up being. Sure Denis seems very confident in the quality of this game, but weren't some of the game's harshest critics, and they've been really harsh, expecting this game to be so bad that it would be demolished in reviews and this year's Lair? Doesn't it seem a bit awkward to suddenly place the bar at 90% for a game that just mere weeks or even days ago people were expecting to be bomb just as hard as Lair or Haze? 80% isn't a fair bar either I think, because that's lowballing it for a game where the developer appears to be so confident. I say high 80s low 90s is what should be the real bar for this game's success with reviewers.

Because it's exactly 90 then that's like if the game averages 86% 88% on metacritic that means it sucks and SK has failed? Wouldn't be quite as bad as people were expecting then would it?

Or have people lost faith in just how bad this game will be?

Speevy

Banned
This thread is like a cross between the movies Fallen and 28 Days Later, except we're trapped in the same room together.

xbhaskarx

einhard said:
If you're going to take anything Denis has said seriously the metascore should be set at Silicon Knights best game. Too Human is going to be their best right?

Try to follow along:

FightyF said:
A summary of this entire situation:
GAF mods: Game is gonna be shit, troll to your hearts content guys
Dyack: It's not going to be shit. If it is, change my tag
GAF mods: Ok, the deal is the game has to be STELLAR, if not you have to donate $1000.

Chrange

Banned
Kittonwy said:
Ok I'll quote him then:

Indifferent2.gif

You're right, out of the hundreds and hundreds of games released in a year you couldn't POSSIBLY take two away and still say you were better than "most" - right?

DCharlie

Better than most is not the same as not worse than most, you can be mediocre and right in the middle of the pack and you wouldn't be worse than most, to be better than most you can't be in the middle of the pack, you would have to be better than most of the pack, it would have to be a top-tier game instead of simply not sucking.

of the X thousand games out this year, i'd imagine they'd average out around 6-7 out of 10, as that's what the vast majority of games garner.

so , to be BETTER than most, he needs to be above those.

How on EARTH do you come to the conclusions that it has to be a top tier game? that's willfully playing dumb.

xbhaskarx said:
Try to follow along:

That did pretty much sum it up.

It does seem a tiny bit off for the game to suddenly be expected to be stellar when originally it was expected to be one of the worst games this year if not this generation.

So is Too Human going to be a terrible game or just a good game that not everyone likes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom