• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Too Human Official Thread of Hack-n-Loot

Grecco

Ricker said:
There's been 5 reviews already,so why the hell is there an embargo still.And with a 2 hour long demo,what's the point anyway,the demo was my review right there...even though there's more to the game,after such a long demo,you know if you will like the game or not...embargo's for reviews are stupid,unless someone wants to explain the reason behind them to me.

4 out of the 5 reviews posted arent part of the enthutiast press and dont really have to respect embargos.

NEO Frog

Banned
eznark said:
I don't know why, but it always comes off to me like the publishers are trying to hide shit when they do that. Like they are hoping people pick up the game before they read the reviews.
It's like all publishers have been doing this for at least 3 years now. So it has nothing to do with this game, it's just the way it is done now and yea I think it is annoying.

eznark

Banned
NEO Frog said:
It's like all publishers have been doing this for at least 3 years now. So it has nothing to do with this game, it's just the way it is done now and yea I think it is annoying.

yeah, I wasn't saying I am only annoyed because it's too human, I'm just annoyed with the practice in general.

SpokkX

One thing that confuses me about this game is how coop works.

You pick a "level" and play? and what happens when that levels ends, you go back to a menu?

btw how does a "level" end in this game? same bossfight every time or random or what?

Chrange

Banned
NEO Frog said:

Let's not forget that Madden 09 had a launch-day embargo and it's actually one of the best Maddens they've done.

Brannon

Denis Dyack said:
It is random and based off of tokens. I agree with you on the consistency issue but if we were to do this then the loot would be very limited - too limited for all the classes and play style players may want.

The token concept is something I think is really cool. You get a token for each part of the level you complete. If you fight a boss with all the tokens then % chance drop and loot tables are significantly better then jumping to the closest spot to the boss and killing him. This eliminates boss runs/farming and encourages people to play the entire game.

SWEET. I am completely anal about covering the entire map in a loot-fest game; this actually rewards my compulsion!

Brannon said:
SWEET. I am completely anal about covering the entire map in a loot-fest game; this actually rewards my compulsion!

I missed this info in the thread somehow but yes... this is a awesome way of doing things imo Dennis.

When I get my game...sign my copy Dennis! Sign it PLEASE!:D

Denis Dyack said:
This seems only true for the hard core who are willing forgo the graphics/cinematography for gameplay (see as much as possible - like an RTS) - we found in focus tests that most players switched cameras and there was no real standout for preference. Please keep in mind, this type of camera has never been done before we were are in unexplored territory and 1M + players will be a more robust focus group then what we had during development :).

Denis with that being said it seems like you are open to changing it if this is indeed the number one gripe. Would it be possible to implement a patch for a controlled camera? Or more so for the sequels to come?

Brannon

_tetsuo_ said:
How many more questions is Denis going to answer before its all posted at N4G as an interview?

One more, and it's the most important one of all; would you be able to get your 2d artist to draw a picture of Newman(Seinfield) in Baldur's default armor and call it 'Too Newman'?

Okay not really.

but since the question's out there *hint hint*

Denis, a while ago on the 1up message boards the community manager created a thread about submitting questions to you for an interview that wasn't able to happen. I submitted a question, and I'd like to ask again here since you're posting on gaf again. Here we go:

It's been made clear that Too Human is a multi-layered game: Norse mythology, the effects of technology on society, and as you said on EGM Live, themes of discovery, revenge, and enlightenment. You've also said that you and your team feel that video games are the eighth art form. What does Silicon Knights think it is about video games that lends itself so well to conveying those themes? In addition, as technology continues to advance, what sort of tools do you hope to see in the future that will make it easier to realize Silicon Knights' vision, or "masterpiece"?

slasher_thrasher21 said:
I missed this info in the thread somehow but yes... this is a awesome way of doing things imo Dennis.

When I get my game...sign my copy Dennis! Sign it PLEASE!:D

If you are in our area (Niagara) Tuesday come to the local EB's we are there enforce signing and giving away some goodies - would be glad to :)

MrDaravon

Broke down and pre-ordered and paid the game off today, since I'll have at least two people who will be getting it I can play with. The lack of 4-player is still a real disappointment, but if me and my friend can waste like a hundred hours with KUF: Circle of Doom, this can't be any worse :lol

Stantron

Hi, Denis. Is a future patch that adds 3 or 4 player co-op totally out of the question, or is this something you are still considering if you can make it work to your design standards? Is 4 player co-op something you'd like to make work for the sequels?

Also, will players be able to customize button layout? something like this...
LB = jump, RB = Roll, A = center camera, B = Ruiner

Truant

I'm pretty sure 4 player co-op will eventually make it in.

Denis, post in this thread if you plan on releasing 4p co-op via DLC.

Oh, you already posted? Confirmed.

Denis Dyack said:
If you are in our area (Niagara) Tuesday come to the local EB's we are there enforce signing and giving away some goodies - would be glad to :)

Thanks for the offer. Unfortunatly I'm all the way over in Arizona. *sad face* So... can a gaffer who does attend this event get a signed extra copy which I'll pay for through paypal of course (and shipping). I can send the money before hand obviously. Unless Denis woundn't mind me paypaling him directly. :D

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
One question that remains...

I know the framerate has been discussed quite often and has clearly improved from the original showing, but it's still very unstable in the demo which detracts from the experience. Does anyone know if it has been stabilized in the final build? I'm not suggesting that this would ruin the game or anything, but a stable framerate really does tend to give the feeling of a more polished product. In general, demo versions DO actually tend to accurately represent the final products, but there are some exceptions.

Ratchet and Clank ToD, for instance, ran at ~60 fps without v-sync in the demo version but was much smoother with v-sync in the final game. Any chance of such an improvement (a stable 30 fps with v-sync) in the final game?

Eric WK

According to the Best Buy and Circuit City ads for this week, the game will be in stores on Wednesday and not Tuesday.

Xenon

Eric WK said:
According to the Best Buy and Circuit City ads for this week, the game will be in stores on Wednesday and not Tuesday.

I just paid off my preorder from Gamestop and was told it will be the 19th. They also got me for Fable 2 thanks to freaking pub games. I figure I would have paid 10 bucks for that anyway.

Im actually giddy about this game. 4 more days =D

FrankT

Eric WK said:

Hmm, that is interesting. When this happens IIRC Gamestop usually has it on the Tuesday. I will ask tonight.

Update: I asked, he said yea that was the shipment date and more than likely Wednesday. He said if they do get it in on Tuesday he would call me.

Jtyettis said:
Hmm, that is interesting. When this happens IIRC Gamestop usually has it on the Tuesday. I will ask tonight.

Update: I asked, he said yea that was the shipment date and more than likely Wednesday. He said if they do get it in on Tuesday he would call me.

Some are getting Tuesday as we are doing a signing at our Local EB's on the 19th - it would be somewhat embarrassing to not have copies available for us. I guess it depends on your location and is case by case.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
What I find surprising is how SK (or rather Denis Dyack) touted the game's visionary cinematic and narrative qualities, whereas the Gameinformer review and the Wired preview denounce the story as an uncompelling, unintentionally comical disaster and critisize the camera (for reasons that escape me).

And another thing I don't understand is actually the inverse of the above: the reviews say the combat is only fun because of the looting and upgrading, but playing the demo, I found the sword-"teleporting" to be very exhilirating as it was. Does the full game suddenly change on you? What I mean is, if the demo is reflective of the final product, the core gameplay is very fun -- yes, looting and leveling-up aside.

We, as Pfister said, may truly have another critically bi-polar game on our hands (the last major one being Assassin's Creed).

Mifune

Mehmber
dirtmonkey37 said:
What I find surprising is how SK (or rather Denis Dyack) touted the game's visionary cinematic and narrative qualities whereas the Gameinformer review and the Wired preview denounce the story as an uncompelling, unintentionally comical disaster.

Are you talking about Kohler's preview for Wired? He didn't say that at all. In fact, he said he wished there was more story because what was there was good.

Here: "Too Human does have a story, and it's told well. Baldur's interaction with the rest of the pantheon of Norse gods and goddesses never fails to be riveting, mostly because of judicious editing. The story scenes are not especially lengthy, but the writing is tight and the plot takes some very intriguing twists and turns."

I wonder where people learn to read these days.

FrankT

Denis Dyack said:
Some are getting Tuesday as we are doing a signing at our Local EB's on the 19th - it would be somewhat embarrassing to not have copies available for us. I guess it depends on your location and is case by case.

Yea, I've had this happen before and they usually always get it. Best Buy and CC normally have the habit of not putting it out until the next day however.

On a side note I did get my Too Human pre-order bonus today as well.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Mifune said:
Are you talking about Kohler's preview for Wired? He didn't say that at all. In fact, he said he wished there was more story because what was there was good.

I wonder where people learn to read these days.

The problem isn't with my reading comprehension; it's trying to identify all the hearsay that preceded the first official reviews we have posted in the OP.

I remember that someone was critisizing the story prior to the Gameinformer review. Whether that be Kohler or Totilo, I don't know, but I do remember some negative comments regarding the issue (I could just be getting mixed up with the Gameinformer review; accidental thought-duplication?).

Mifune

Mehmber
dirtmonkey37 said:
The problem isn't with my reading comprehension; it's trying to identify all the hearsay that preceded the first official reviews we have posted in the OP.

I remember that someone was critisizing the story prior to the Gameinformer review. Whether that be Kohler or Totilo, I don't know, but I do remember some negative comments regarding the issue (I could just be getting mixed up with the Gameinformer review; accidental thought-duplication?).

I think GI is the first place to have on-the-record complaints about the story. There definitely have been rumblings though.

But yeah, reviews are definitely going to be bipolar.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Mifune said:
I think GI is the first place to have on-the-record complaints about the story. There definitely have been rumblings though.

But yeah, reviews are definitely going to be bipolar.

I'm crossing my fingers that the actual content of the story is good (and you posting the excerpt from Kohler's article did freshen my memory of the positive commentary that surrounded the game prior official reviews). I'm willing to forgo the spotty animation of the cutscenes if they're written and delivered well (which, again, by indication of the demo, they are).

Mifune

Mehmber
dirtmonkey37 said:
I'm crossing my fingers that the actual content of the story is good (and you posting the excerpt from Kohler's article did freshen my memory of the positive commentary that surrounded the game prior official reviews). I'm willing to forgo the spotty animation of the cutscenes if they're written and delivered well (which, again, by indication of the demo, they are).

I liked what little of the story we get in the demo. It's possible that the whole thing goes into the shitter afterwards but I hope that's not the case.

If Eternal Darkness is any indication, the cutscenes are likely to be somewhat miserly about plot info. In ED the narrative was doled out little by little and it took a little brain work to put all the pieces together.

If TH is a similar deal, things could get confusing if you're not listening to what the soldiers have to say and other non-cutscene story bits.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Mifune said:
I liked what little of the story we get in the demo. It's possible that the whole thing goes into the shitter afterwards but I hope that's not the case.

If Eternal Darkness is any indication, the cutscenes are likely to be somewhat miserly about plot info. In ED the narrative was doled out little by little and it took a little brain work to put all the pieces together.

If TH is a similar deal, things could get confusing if you're not listening to what the soldiers have to say and other non-cutscene story bits.

Yeah, I'm crossing my fingers for the story to first of all, turn out well, and second of all, be just slightly more linear and explicit in how it unravels itself in comparison to Eternal Darkness (I appreciated how the story was done with its "gleaming information" dynamic, but I found it hard to follow the story in that game with having to memorize so many other things about it, if you know what I mean. I still wouldn't mind at all if they more or less took that approach for Too Human. Unconventional narrative design fascinates me).

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
I think its pretty cool that Denis is posting here :)

The demo was rough, but a diamond in the rough sort of thing. I definitely dug the story and gameplay.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Although I'm under embargo, as many of my colleagues are, I'll say that the game is entertaining all the way up to the end. There better be a sequel :)

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Denis Dyack said:
We are aware of this work and others like it. The Christian influence on the Eddas was debated to death at SK. Ken McCulloch actually starting learning some old Norse when researching the mythologies to make sure we understood ever angle as much as possible when we wrote the script and created the trilogy structure. It is very safe to say that our Baldur is not the "beautiful and innocent" most know but saying more would be a spoiler.

Hope that helps,
Denis

Excellent, thanks for the reply. The mythology and Lovecraftian influences in Eternal Darkness were crafted with skill and care so I have no doubt about Too Human.

Not sure if this constitutes a spoiler question or is already well known, but is Garm in the game?

Oh, and Too Human needs a prequel/spin-off where you play as Odin travelling the land in search of knowledge, culminating with his hanging on Yggdrasill where you must travel through Hel and Niflheim in search of the eighteen spells and nine runes of power.

"I have similar concerns to dirt here, so he's not alone, if the story sucks this game fails."

I don't know it's always nice to have a good story but it usually isn't the most important thing in a hack and loot game.

Blueblur1

Hmm, I'm probably gonna give this a try. But it will all come down to the loot. If its is indeed awesome, Too Human will have a decent chance at becoming a time sink for me.

Mifune

Mehmber
Witchfinder General said:
Oh, and Too Human needs a prequel/spin-off where you play as Odin travelling the land in search of knowledge, culminating with his hanging on Yggdrasill where you must travel through Hel and Niflheim in search of the eighteen spells and nine runes of power.

Damn, that sounds tailor-made for a video game.

goldenpp72

Well the thing is too human was pushed as a game to have some mind bending story to meld the gaming and cinema universes together, the demo was only decent gameplay wise and a story can make up for that.

Caspel said:
Although I'm under embargo, as many of my colleagues are, I'll say that the game is entertaining all the way up to the end. There better be a sequel :)

:) :) :) There will be - 2 in fact. Discovery->Revenge->Enlightenment :D

I can assume the revenge angle is a bit more clear to you after finishing :)

"Well the thing is too human was pushed as a game to have some mind bending story to meld the gaming and cinema universes together, the demo was only decent gameplay wise and a story can make up for that."

Ah, ok. I didn't know I haven't really followed the news for it.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Mifune said:
Damn, that sounds tailor-made for a video game.

You can even include Hugin and Munin; Odin's raven's that represent Thought and Memory.

They can be your wise-crackin' side-kicks.

"Say Nevermore"

"Fuck you"*

*A cookie to anyone who gets the reference, and I don't mean Edgar Allen Poe's The Raven.

FrankT

Caspel said:

Very nice, I said when the earlier previews came and after playing the demo this game was probably going to a be love/hate kind of game when it came to reviews. Hopefully we see more on the love side when it is all said and done, and hopefully even moreso some of the critiques from the first can be worked into the follow ups down the road.

Denis Dyack said:

Nice

Witchfinder General said:
You can even include Hugin and Munin; Odin's raven's that represent Thought and Memory.

They can be your wise-crackin' side-kicks.

We already have those covered in the trilogy.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Denis Dyack said:

Haha, yes it is -- I loved the ending. I'm hoping this game sells well so there's no doubt for a sequel. Of course, unless there's going to be a sequel regardless of how it sells.

Bravo Dyack, bravo :). I sat in one of your presentations at E3 2006 and was eager to see the final results; I can honestly say I am quite pleased.

Caspel said:
Haha, yes it is -- I loved the ending. I'm hoping this game sells well so there's no doubt for a sequel. Of course, unless there's going to be a sequel regardless of how it sells.

Bravo Dyack, bravo :). I sat in one of your presentations at E3 2006 and was eager to see the final results; I can honestly say I am quite pleased.

Thanks man - I really appreciate it - as will everyone at SK. Send me a pm and lets hook up through email, i would love to hear your detailed thoughts about the game!

Top Bottom