• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Too Human Official Thread of Hack-n-Loot

madmook

Meier said:
How are the achievements for this game? Are half of them insanely difficult unless you play through it multiple times? I don't have the time or patience to do that in this day and age..
I think Dyack said somewhere that average 1st time playthrough would net around 600 gamerscore. I forgot the exact number, definitely more than 500.

border

Denis Dyack said:
It is my pleasure, I want to thank everyone involved for a properly moderated thread. I hope this trend continues for other games in the future as well.
Is there any chance you can tell us what exactly the pre-order bonus armor is? Nothing incredibly specific, but the quality (rare/epic) and the level range it will be good for?

Given how fast you level in the demo, I don't expect it'll just be a level 1 set, but maybe something that is good for mid-range leveling. Like 15-25 perhaps.

Xenon

bathala said:
that's a good advice. that will be the class I'll be playing.
when i get home i might try the demo as Commando

Mifune said:
For those that are interested, the strategy guide is out.

Here's a twenty-page sample:

http://www.primagames.com/catalog/pr...54073_1077.pdf

Really makes me consider going Commando to start.

Its a great class and plays so different than the other 4. I was never fond of the Ranger class in PSO but I think TH's combat system makes the gunplay much more interesting to me.

border

Xenon said:
Its a great class and plays so different than the other 4. I was never fond of the Ranger class in PSO but I think TH's combat system makes the gunplay much more interesting to me.
I always thought the Ranger in PSO was overpowered because it was so easy to maintain distance from enemies. In Too Human it seems exactly the opposite -- the class seems a little gimped because you're just constantly struggling to maintain distance. Maybe there is something I'm not doing right though, or it will get easier once you have a spiders and a larger blast radius on your explosives.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
border said:
I always thought the Ranger in PSO was overpowered because it was so easy to maintain distance from enemies. In Too Human it seems exactly the opposite -- the class seems a little gimped because you're just constantly struggling to maintain distance. Maybe there is something I'm not doing right though, or it will get easier once you have a spiders and a larger blast radius on your explosives.

id assume the exploding bullets will help too, lol

Xenon

border said:

The only time I get in trouble with the Commando is when I try building up my combo meter with melee attacks. But if just play smart I burn through the levels without ever feeling challenged.

With PSO you had to just use your gun. Since TH gives you access to both gun and melee at the same time its very easy to fall back on your staff when things get tight. But his weapon skills and defense are so gimped it leads to an easy death. You almost have to look at the Right Stick as if its for tactical moves only. You should be firing your gun 95% of the time sliding only to attack a single/pair of enemies, get away from a group, or setup a ruiner-slide combo. If your sliding all over the place your spreading out the enemies in a random fashion and its easy to get surrounded. Also dont forget to use your fierce attack. It wont kill enemies but it will knock them down so you can shoot up their buddies.

I cant wait to try the cannons!

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
VaLiancY said:
If you could put this in the OP as a resource for weapon and armor mechanics. I got this information from promotion media and gathering information from skill talent tree videos and some blog reading.

Wow, great job! I'll put it in the OP right away.

Meier said:
How are the achievements for this game? Are half of them insanely difficult unless you play through it multiple times? I don't have the time or patience to do that in this day and age..

The OP addresses achievements under the "Other Cool Stuff" section.

Meier

Danthrax said:
The OP addresses achievements under the "Other Cool Stuff" section.
Didn't really give me the info I needed though. Good to hear that a typical play through can net about 500 points. I will probably give this a shot from GameFly.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Meier said:
Didn't really give me the info I needed though. Good to hear that a typical play through can net about 500 points. I will probably give this a shot from GameFly.

Well, it's hard to really say how time consuming the achievements are considering no one's played the game yet. Especially considering almost half the achievements are still secret.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i submit that we need to open this thread up -- if only to forestall the nauseous spectacle of guilty gafers returning to daddy dyack's forgiving parental embrace. i understand the intention of giving fans a place to talk about the game in peace, but you're going to give people the wrong idea here. besides, an element of baseless negativity is essential to a healthy forum ecosystem -- you don't want reviews from russian maxim to grow unchecked

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
drohne said:
i submit that we need to open this thread up -- if only to forestall the nauseous spectacle of guilty gafers returning to daddy dyack's forgiving parental embrace. i understand the intention of giving fans a place to talk about the game in peace, but you're going to give people the wrong idea here. besides, an element of baseless negativity is essential to a healthy forum ecosystem -- you don't want reviews from russian maxim to grow unchecked

As far as a healthy forum ecosystem, this thread is really balancing out all the negativity -- baseless or otherwise -- that's been found in every other TH thread on GAF. People are not getting the wrong idea here. This thread is for dousing love upon TH. For all other reactions, the Search bar is at the top-right.

And leave the Russian Maxim review the fuck alone.

Xenon

drohne said:

This is the shit we are trying to avoid in this thread. If people who are interested in the game want to talk about issues they have with it thats fine. I think? But if you want to just bitch about the camera, Dyack, or anthing else that has been discussed to death there are other threads.

Chrange

Banned
drohne said:
i submit that we need to open this thread up -- if only to forestall the nauseous spectacle of guilty gafers returning to daddy dyack's forgiving parental embrace.

I submit that you need to shut the fuck up and find another thread.

Truant

Denis, how is boss loot handled? For example, if a boss has a staff, will he drop something similar to that, or just something random based on drop chance?

It always bothered me in WoW that a boss could be clearly wielding a huge axe, but he'll drop a fiery sword when you kill him.

Truant said:
Denis, how is boss loot handled? For example, if a boss has a staff, will he drop something similar to that, or just something random based on drop chance?

It always bothered me in WoW that a boss could be clearly wielding a huge axe, but he'll drop a fiery sword when you kill him.

It is random and based off of tokens. I agree with you on the consistency issue but if we were to do this then the loot would be very limited - too limited for all the classes and play style players may want.

The token concept is something I think is really cool. You get a token for each part of the level you complete. If you fight a boss with all the tokens then % chance drop and loot tables are significantly better then jumping to the closest spot to the boss and killing him. This eliminates boss runs/farming and encourages people to play the entire game.

Truant

Alright, I see how that could impact certain classes and players, so I respect the decision.

The token system is a nice idea. I take it that random world drops from regular mobs also adds to that incentive as well.

C Jones

Denis can you explain how the group skills work, or specifically, how they stack when a party consists of two characters of the same class? For example, will two bioengineers heal twice as fast if they are in the same party (assuming both of their healing group skills are maxed out)?

Truant said:
Alright, I see how that could impact certain classes and players, so I respect the decision.

The token system is a nice idea. I take it that random world drops from regular mobs also adds to that incentive as well.

Yes, correct, nothing like getting an epic drop from an elite leader :). These are often brutal fights and nothing better than a great reward. These guys appear randomly as you play the level. I have come to fear elite trolls - they are very very very nasty :).

C Jones said:
Denis can you explain how the group skills work, or specifically, how they stack when a party consists of two characters of the same class? For example, will two bioengineers heal twice as fast if they are in the same party (assuming both of their healing group skills are maxed out)?

They stack - all the skills stack - 2 bios - 2x healing - a very good combo. 2 berserkers means lvl 6 combo :) - i think :) - last time i checked anyway. :p

Truant

So, am I the only one getting this without even trying the demo?

I have no internet connection at home that I can use to hook up my 360.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Dennis, I've been flicking through Kevin Crossley-Holland's The Penguin Book of Norse Myths and in there he mentions Saxo Grammaticus' interpretation of Baldur in his Gesta Danorum. Saxo depicts Baldur as a lustful, warlike and petty man where Hod is his mortal enemy. I've noticed your rendition of Baldur seem to stray from the typical depiction of him as a beautiful and innocent god.

Did you base your Baldur on Saxo's interpretation by any chance?

Witchfinder General said:
Dennis, I've been flicking through Kevin Crossley-Holland's The Penguin Book of Norse Myths and in there he mentions Saxo Grammaticus' interpretation of Baldur in his Gesta Danorum. Saxo depicts Baldur as a lustful, warlike and petty man where Hod is his mortal enemy. I've noticed your rendition of Baldur seem to stray from the typical depiction of him as a beautiful and innocent god.

Did you base your Baldur on Saxo's interpretation by any chance?

We are aware of this work and others like it. The Christian influence on the Eddas was debated to death at SK. Ken McCulloch actually starting learning some old Norse when researching the mythologies to make sure we understood ever angle as much as possible when we wrote the script and created the trilogy structure. It is very safe to say that our Baldur is not the "beautiful and innocent" most know but saying more would be a spoiler.

Hope that helps,
Denis

eznark

Banned
pretty dope that you're willing to answer questions here at the GAF after the drama. I can't pass up the opportunity:

Wading through some of the other threads it's clear that the iso camera seems to be preferred and for me that is the case without a doubt. Why did you guys decide to go with the more pulled in camera as the default? It seems like the camera is the biggest gripe I've heard so far from people, but simply switching to iso pretty much nullified that concern.

Just wondering what the reasoning behind it was?

eznark said:
pretty dope that you're willing to answer questions here at the GAF after the drama. I can't pass up the opportunity:

Wading through some of the other threads it's clear that the iso camera seems to be preferred and for me that is the case without a doubt. Why did you guys decide to go with the more pulled in camera as the default? It seems like the camera is the biggest gripe I've heard so far from people, but simply switching to iso pretty much nullified that concern.

This seems only true for the hard core who are willing forgo the graphics/cinematography for gameplay (see as much as possible - like an RTS) - we found in focus tests that most players switched cameras and there was no real standout for preference. Please keep in mind, this type of camera has never been done before we were are in unexplored territory and 1M + players will be a more robust focus group then what we had during development :).

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
No answer for me? I asked first :(

edit:
fin said:
Use the strategic camera. Works like a charm.

ya thats the one i use. i think its just close until u get into combat then it goes out to iso.

fin

eznark said:

Use the strategic camera. Works like a charm.

eznark said:

I couldn't really understand why the camera didn't pull right out Marvel Ulimate Alliance style. I prefer to be able to see what's going on over gorgeous graphics anyway.

Gowans

a question I'm sure some of the euro guys here will be thinking about when wanting to to co-op with some of the other guys here on GAF

How will the balance and loot gathering be handled for people just starting the game joining up in co-op with someone who has been playing the heavily?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Since I thought the embargo should have been over one hour ago I just took a look at the embargo again and for some reason I didn't read it right the first time. Embargo is on Tuesday (August 19) at a 3PM (CET).
I have no idea why I read that as August 15, I'm really sorry about that.
Glad I didn't do any videos (nor do I plan to) or I'd have broken the embargo...

Blimblim said:
Since I thought the embargo should have been over one hour ago I just took a look at the embargo again and for some reason I didn't read it right the first time. Embargo is on Tuesday (August 19) at a 3PM (CET).
Glad I didn't do any videos (nor do I plan to) or I'd have broken the embargo...

Oh dear, embargos that end on the day the game releases are the devil's work.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Blimblim said:

55504242.vadernooooo.jpg

eznark

Banned
The Innocent X said:
Oh dear, embargos that end on the day the game releases are the devil's work.

I don't know why, but it always comes off to me like the publishers are trying to hide shit when they do that. Like they are hoping people pick up the game before they read the reviews.

FrankT

Blimblim said:

Ahhh, seems as if embargoes until the last minute are somewhat the norm for the month. Same with Madden. Would have been nice to read a few over the weekend.

BigAT

eznark said:
I don't know why, but it always comes off to me like the publishers are trying to hide shit when they do that. Like they are hoping people pick up the game before they read the reviews.

Agreed. I hate that.

I don't know how you can have an embargo on a game still when it is available to the public.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
_tetsuo_ said:
How the hell is an embargo date and time set anyway? Is it by the publisher? The developers?
Publisher. Sometimes with the input of the developers, most of the time without.

I'm still on the fence for this game. I liked the demo and all, but money's tight, and I want to get Mercenaries 2.

There's still Christmas if all else fails.

fin

Dax01 said:
I'm still on the fence for this game. I liked the demo and all, but money's tight, and I want to get Mercenaries 2.

There's still Christmas if all else fails.

Hi Dax! Get this game and we'll go through it in coop.

eznark

Banned
Snaku said:
It's like when a movie isn't screened for critics before opening night.

That's why it sticks out my mind! Thanks for adding two and two for me, as I was clearly too stupid.

Ricker

There's been 5 reviews already,so why the hell is there an embargo still.And with a 2 hour long demo,what's the point anyway,the demo was my review right there...even though there's more to the game,after such a long demo,you know if you will like the game or not...embargo's for reviews are stupid,unless someone wants to explain the reason behind them to me.

f3niks

Lump me in with those that hated the demo but will buy anyway because there was something interesting going on with the storyline.

Top Bottom