• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JanFeb17| Super Saiyan Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
8OjssEL.gif

cntr

Banned
also I feel like there should be a SF novel about the "stuck in an MMO" concept novel, but I can't remember ever seeing one. Ready Player One and Halting State get close to the idea, but it's not quite the same thing.

...I guess SAO started as a novel, but it doesn't really try to be science fiction.

I only recall the original Spy Kids supposedly being good, but I wonder how that holds up.
I liked the movies as a kid, but I really doubt it

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
also I feel like there should be a SF novel about the "stuck in an MMO" concept novel, but I can't remember ever seeing one. Ready Player One and Halting State get close to the idea, but it's not quite the same thing.

...I guess SAO started as a novel, but it doesn't really try to be science fiction.

There's probably some, but odds are they aren't very good or we'd have heard of them.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Also while a certain someone is obsessed with bringing us the straight deets on Fuuka I'm here to tell you that just using that as a source isn't going deep enough. To really invest in the Fuuka universe you have to start with its direct prequel, Suzuka. It's like playing VLR without playing 999 first, or skipping to part 3 in the .hack series of games.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It falls into the trap of having people fall in love too early in a romance tale and then flounder for ever more ridiculous methods to keep them apart. At least the MC in this one is a bit frisky.

cntr

Banned
I will say that Suzuka is merely bad, and never reaches the same heights of awful that A Town Where You Rage and Fuuka do

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It is hilarious that I find myself once again watching boring romance anime and that just learning that the bad one I'd chosen to follow gets truly awful and is a sequel series had me go out and find the original.

The last time I did this was for a failed bet/podcast experiment where a friend and I would watch all the bad anime on Netflix (this was at the peak of Netflix having a shit load of bad anime, so maybe 100 titles) and reviewing them all. I binged on some truly vile stuff.

zulux21

It is hilarious that I find myself once again watching boring romance anime and that just learning that the bad one I'd chosen to follow gets truly awful and is a sequel series had me go out and find the original.

The last time I did this was for a failed bet/podcast experiment where a friend and I would watch all the bad anime on Netflix (this was at the peak of Netflix having a shit load of bad anime, so maybe 100 titles) and reviewing them all. I binged on some truly vile stuff.

you should watch Nana/My love Story/Skip Beat/ Nodame/ Kimi ni todoke ect :p

unless you really want panty shots in your romance then none of those would help you :p

in regards to all the sword art online talk.
I am really curious to see how people react to the eventual sword art online progressive anime series that they will make sometime due to how popular the series is.
if they stay true to the source material the MMO aspect shouldn't be as bad (as really the anime is much worse with the mechanics of the game than the books are)
that and it's basically just the adventures of kirito and asuna both of which are better defined and the new females are all much better built than in the original series.

cntr

Banned
Also, Fuuka has pretty much nothing to do with Suzuka. Fuuka's parents (= Suzuka's protagonists) hardly even appear.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

unless you really want panty shots in your romance then none of those would help you :p

I saw Nana years ago on the Funimation Channel.

My favorite Romance animes that aren't comedy are Honey and Clover and His and Her Circumstances.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Also, Fuuka has pretty much nothing to do with Suzuka. Fuuka's parents (= Suzuka's protagonists) hardly even appear.

Oh I actually disagree, I haven't watched all of Suzuka yet but she's clearly these two people smushed together in personalty. Plus you're ruining my attempt to get people to watch a poorly animated, boringly dubbed, middle of the road romance from 12 years ago with me.

cntr

Banned
I've pretty much sworn off drama romance, lol. I just read the slice-of-life-y stuff where the main characters get together with no drama, and it's a much better experience overall.

(not a conversation I expected to be having in this thread)

zulux21

I saw Nana years ago on the Funimation Channel.

My favorite Romance animes that aren't comedy are Honey and Clover and His and Her Circumstances.

honey and clover is a good watch as long as you don't mind a really slow burn.
I watch a number of romance anime but most are indeed comedy or horrible ecchi crap that I put on the background because I have run out of dubbed anime to watch again lol. really I should go through and update my mal for the last two years at some point lol.

I've pretty much sworn off drama romance, lol. I just read the slice-of-life-y stuff where the main characters get together with no drama, and it's a much better experience overall.

(not a conversation I expected to be having in this thread)

but Re:Zero was a great drama romance from last year :3

the show has drama, the show has romance, but it's not truly focused on the romance, it's more about using romance as a tool for suffering lol

I should also note I am not trying to troll and say it is a good show when it isn't. it was my AOTY last year which you can confirm by looking at the AOTY thread :p

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I don't think I'll ever run out of dubbed anime I haven't seen just looking at what's on Funimation now.

I love putting on random shows while grinding through an rpg or two.

When it comes to romance, do you think games or anime are worse at it?

I'm leaning towards games to be honest. Not because anime is good, but because most games are worse.

I'm struggling to think of a newish game that had a good romance to be honest.

in regards to all the sword art online talk.
I am really curious to see how people react to the eventual sword art online progressive anime series that they will make sometime due to how popular the series is.
if they stay true to the source material the MMO aspect shouldn't be as bad (as really the anime is much worse with the mechanics of the game than the books are)
that and it's basically just the adventures of kirito and asuna both of which are better defined and the new females are all much better built than in the original series.

If I'm not mistaken, the first few episodes of the anime are from Progressive.

Then again, I'm barely familiar with the books and for all I know the side story stuff was from the main book series.

Edit: Oh, only the second episode was from Progressive.

I'm leaning towards games to be honest. Not because anime is good, but because most games are worse.

I can't even really think of any games that had outright romance as a part of it. People like to cite FF 7/8/10 but I've never played any of those so I can't vouch.

zulux21

I don't think I'll ever run out of dubbed anime I haven't seen just looking at what's on Funimation now.

I love putting on random shows while grinding through an rpg or two.

it's not an issue so much anymore. funimation dubs so many shows a season I typically have something to watch. but even just a few years ago each month there was only usually 2-4 new anime releases across all the companies a month which left very little to watch that was new.

I mean there are some older shows I need to watch. and a couple very notable shows missing from my list of watched shows (stein's gate, madoka, fate/zero) but those are ones my wife wants to watch with me and doesn't want me to watch on my own :/ we just never get around to watching them lol.

If I'm not mistaken, the first few episodes of the anime are from Progressive.

Then again, I'm barely familiar with the books and for all I know the side story stuff was from the main book series.

sword art online progressive started coming out after the anime. it's not impossible that some of the content inspired the anime (especially since progressive is a retelling of the sword art online stuff in far more detail) but in general everything came from books 1 and 2 just really changing the order (mostly for the better if you wanted all of the content)
spoilers for the light novels that sword art online is based off of because there are a number of changes.
the first few episodes of the anime are actually from the second sword art online book as all of the extra girls are in that book.
the first book is actually just the entire sword art online story without any of the extra girls. Just the first boss stuff and then a jump to when he meets asuna again.

even better the author originally intended the second book to be nothing but side stories to the point where kirito wouldn't be involved, but once he started writing them he just couldn't help but get kirito involved. A weakness in his writing that he openly admits.

but yeah yui isn't in the first book either, that is totally the second book side story. aka the first light novel book of sword art is a lot more cut down, is a good read in general, and goes way more into the mechanics of the game than the anime does.

the best part about the side stories though... there is no such thing as a beast tamer. tamer girl in the anime is actually a rogue I think it was in the books and just happened to have a lucky encounter to get a pet.
thus why a class would be designed to have a pet fight with you but can die and not be revived... it's because it wasn't a class, but actually just a bonus that she had and not related to her class at all.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It took me almost a decade to finish TTGL because of a promise to watch it with a group.

A few years with a similar promise about Fate/Zero, which I only finished last fall.

Mizerman

I can't even really think of any games that had outright romance as a part of it. People like to cite FF 7/8/10 but I've never played any of those so I can't vouch.

As someone who played FF10, the romance was definitely a major part of the story. Though how you enjoyed it depends on you liking Yuna and Tidus.

Morlas

What are you guys talkin' about? The love triangle between Mario, Bowser, and Peach
's cake
is the greatest love story of all time!

Edit: Though being more serious, I would have to say that Anju and Kafei from MM is probably the best example I can think of when it comes to a tragic romance in games, it's simple but it works pretty well i'd say.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

I mean there's a few anime that have done a good job of romance, so definitely games.

zulux21

I mean there's a few anime that have done a good job of romance, so definitely games.

yeah there are a number of anime that are in the top 10 favorite romance things of all time.
there aren't any games that are that high for me.

that being said I really should play more visual novels.

zulux21

I wouldn't go that far, personally.

well to be fair I think I would be hard pressed to come up with a top 10 list of romance stories if I didn't include anime or video games.

I find the tropes in japan far more enjoyable than american tropes on romance so I really only enjoy shows that do romance in a weird way like Galavant. I can't think of any non romcoms from america that I enjoy. Meanwhile there are a ton of them from anime I enjoy.

Fuuka really is just a collage of uninteresting romance tropes with some band stuff in the background to try and hide it.

The romance is basically two girls fighting over Steve Everyman, with a third girl in the background who is barely there. The thing is, the childhood friend has built her life around how much she wants Mr. Everyman, built her career off it in fact, while the titular heroine, Fuuka seems to think "Yeah....I guess I could blow him sometime. Maybe."

Wait, I'm watching some preview clips of this SAO movie thats being promoted about. Was their some sort of timeskip between Yuuki dying and GoodguyKiaba ending to Digimon/Yugioh!-style MMO in the real world fighting?! I know it can't be something I missed from the games seeing as those follow an alternate timeline.

You make it sound like the Cell saga is bad or something.

But that can't be right.

He doesn't like DB all that much, Zonic is just watching it for completion sake at this point.

(I know I'm late to this discussion)

The biggest issue with the Suzuka anime is that it doesn't get to the later half of the manga story where
Suzuka gets pregnant
I'm worried the Fuuka anime will similarly stop early and never adapt the later half of the story.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I like how people are coming out of the woodwork to drop deep knowledge on what is surely TOONAMI thread's favorite series.

Morlas

I don't know School Days kinda scarred me for life on anime romance stories. Just seeing a vanilla protag and cute girl in an obvious romance setup gives me flashbacks.

Anyway on a more toonami topic if there was one thing i would gladly pay money to fund when it comes to the presentation at least, it would be a toonami intro in the style of cowboy bebop, ya know just have Tank! play in the background and stuff.

eb868fee8544f16d63f336192ed8963942c0c0e8_hq.gif

Seda

pointless question: So do Tom/Sara actually have a baby worm hanging around the ship or did Toonami just drop that idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom