• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JanFeb17| Super Saiyan Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regiruler

They split up Kill la Kill into 5 episodes each for $40 on Blu-Ray, $30 for DVD.

.....that means to own all 25 episodes (& that includes the OVA one that didn't air on Toonami) on DVD, you'd have to spend $150, or $200 FOR BLU-DAY.

What's that, you want to own the Limited Editions for Kill la Kill that have Blu-Ray, DVD, & extra stuff like postcards & the soundtracks? Well that's $60 each, for a grand total of $300 for a 25 episode series.

That is correct, & I recall their logic for their high prices is to ensure there isn't any "reverse importing", i.e. Japanese fans buying the versions from the US because they're cheaper.

Someone really needs to find a way to fix the absurd pricing structure for physical media in japan. Games seem to have avoided this forever although that may be a case of the rest of the world following japan's pricing.

Jarate

Banned
C9jdhJX.gif

zulux21

Maybe the the Free release means that Aniplex will be open with renegotating the Distribution License with Funimation again. I know Crunchyroll actually has the streaming rights so they ironically enough have Funimation's dub on their service.

I don't see aniplex on the list of companies that made it on MAL o_O

also in regards to aniplex being the only major dub player with a japanese branch... does viz really not have a japanese branch?

Someone really needs to find a way to fix the absurd pricing structure for physical media in japan. Games seem to have avoided this forever although that may be a case of the rest of the world following japan's pricing.

the expected sales for a series vs a lower price likely results in them losing money with cheaper releases in japan.
especially as a number of people have likely moved to digital releases instead of physical media.

zulux21

Sorry, I got Free and Seven Deadly Sins releases mixed up.

yeah seven deadly sins is an odd case.
that is one I would love to know more about.

I am assuming it's a case where netflix offered anipelx a ton of money to have seven deadly sins on netflix and got home video rights in the process.
and then netflix turned around and got funimation to do the release where even though aniplex likely isn't happy funimation is releasing it, they can't stop netflix from doing it.

i mean funimation didn't do the dub to the series.
thus it's the only thing that makes sense to me otherwise aniplex would be releasing it themselves.

kind of like how crunchy struck a deal to have funimation release their stuff as well.

It's amazing how pretty much everyone of Goku's friends came into the series wanting to kill him.

Bulma, the very first friend he ever made, shot him in the fucking head after she almost hit him with his car. That was the first scene they shared together.

It makes sense that Krillin ended up being his best friend though, since he really only hated him for a few months and then stopped.

zulux21

oh god....is it ok if i say Chris Sabat is a national treasure?
because he kinda is.

i don't think anyone can argue that.
I mean aside from voicing a large chunk of dbz he also is Kuwabara in yuyu, Daisuke in a number of lupin dubs, zoro in one piece, and...
oh god i didn't even realize he was Christophe Giacometti in yuri on ice lol.

Morlas

Decent ratings.

And yeah Yamcha is probably the biggest L taker in the history of anime, both on and off screen, seriously i don't think i've ever seen a character take so many off screen and without even being mentioned.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Umm, no, the rest of the world absolutely does not follow Japanese pricing on console games.

897 for Jojo seems really good

683 for HxH doesnt seem very good

pretty mediocre night though. I think the 8 o clock airing of Super is fucking with its ratings real hard

At least HxH beat Shippuden. Yeah!

But, then, I remember that Shippuden is doing filler... Dang it!

Overall, the drops seems pretty typical when going from Super to Kai to JoJo to Unicorn to HxH. Then, Shippuden to OP to GitS. I think Hunter might get more if it switched places with Unicorn, but I don't know.

the ratings aren't that important

Yeah, I typically look at ratings and just see what I usually expect. As long as there is something to watch on Toonami, I tune in. Hell, I just leave on in the background most of the time even when there is a show I don't really want to watch like GXP, for example, when that aired. Same with Akame ga Kill and Sword Art Online (when it started dropping in quality) after I watched the initial episodes and it didn't really hook me.

cntr

Banned
how many episodes of Unicorn are there :|

Demarco, we don't only need Gundam, we need HD G Gundam to save us!
still have 16 episodes left

wouldn't be surprised if it got moved back to a later timeslot

(and they haven't finished the HD G Gundam conversions yet)

still have 16 episodes left

wouldn't be surprised if it got moved back to a later timeslot

Yeah, I was going to say there was 22 episodes total. Beat me to it... :p

I agree that it'll probably get moved to a later time slot when Jack comes, but I also won't be surprised if it just stays where it is.

Morlas

Yeah i think in additiion to being a bit hard to follow if you don't have prior UC knowledge unicorn is a bit slow for that time of night.

Jarate

Banned
HXH was a bad pick unless you were willing to replace like Naruto, One Piece or the rerun slot. I like the show, but western anime fans don't care about things like stylization, good writing, animation, voice acting, and other things that we enjoy. It's one of the reasons I like this community so much, but we all have to admit we are the outliers for the average western anime viewer.

Remember, most of us here are just fans of animation, but we stick with anime because we generally enjoy action shows and "deeper" shows, and let's face it, western animation right now is basically purely focused on comedy shows (not to say these shows don't have action or get "deep" but childrens comedy shows dominate the western animation scene. Even shows that are action driven are forced to have really awkward comedy)

Im pretty sure Demarco doesnt really care about ratings too much. I think them getting like 400K at some of those slots would be OK with the network and with himself. This has always been a pet project done out of love for the product, which is one of the reasons I like the block so much, even if I disagree with some of Demarco's decisions.

cntr

Banned
yeah, I don't think Demarco cares about the ratings (or other people's opinions), and the network is probably happy with even the rerun's ratings

Jarate

Banned
Demarco really needs to not air another Gundam show. I think that also adds to the fatigue a bit. Especially with 2 fairly mediocre shows (they look nice, but people watch Naruto filler so I doubt people care)

Im not super into mecha, but I'd imagine that there is a large amount of good enough mecha series out there

HxH is only a bad pick if you don't know what a good anime is. So if the bulk of western "anime fans" just want a Goku block then fuck em, they ain't my anime brethren.

Morlas

HXH was a bad pick unless you were willing to replace like Naruto, One Piece or the rerun slot. I like the show, but western anime fans don't care about things like stylization, good writing, animation, voice acting, and other things that we enjoy. It's one of the reasons I like this community so much, but we all have to admit we are the outliers for the average western anime viewer.

Remember, most of us here are just fans of animation, but we stick with anime because we generally enjoy action shows and "deeper" shows, and let's face it, western animation right now is basically purely focused on comedy shows (not to say these shows don't have action or get "deep" but childrens comedy shows dominate the western animation scene. Even shows that are action driven are forced to have really awkward comedy)

Im pretty sure Demarco doesnt really care about ratings too much. I think them getting like 400K at some of those slots would be OK with the network and with himself. This has always been a pet project done out of love for the product, which is one of the reasons I like the block so much, even if I disagree with some of Demarco's decisions.
While I agree with you that most western animation isn't deep or storyline focused nowadays i think you're forgetting the best anime on tv right now.
hqdefault.jpg

I love steven universe

Decent ratings.

And yeah Yamcha is probably the biggest L taker in the history of anime, both on and off screen, seriously i don't think i've ever seen a character take so many off screen and without even being mentioned.

It's kind of sad; Krillin got to start a family with Android 18. Tien got that really badass moment during the Cell Saga. Yamcha gets fuck all and even Super starts getting in on making fun of Yamcha.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Having over 400K people watching your animated show at 130 AM seems decent if you ask me but I don't really know what I'm talking about. Just seems like a decent number all things considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom