• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jun14| Lu Lu Lala Lu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm surprised no ones made a "Bleach is DBZ with swords" joke...or maybe "DBZ is Bleach without swords" since DBZ is replacing Bleach.

DBZ is a billion times more straightforward than Bleach. The only time DBZ even gets remotely complicated are is the crazy Guru wouldn't have died when he did because of stress and the timey wimey nonsense caused by Trunks.

Bleach is all about stupid misdirections and plot revelations that end up meaning nothing. Also eight million characters who are all jobbers.

MikeMyers

Bleach is all about stupid misdirections and plot revelations that end up meaning nothing. Also eight million characters who are all jobbers.

Uh, not that I was being serious with my comment, and I definitely like DBZ more than I like Bleach.....but this is different than DBZ how?

Takashi

76248.jpg

DBZ is a billion times more straightforward than Bleach. The only time DBZ even gets remotely complicated are is the crazy Guru wouldn't have died when he did because of stress and the timey wimey nonsense caused by Trunks.

Yeah, Bleach prides itself on its troll twist and Kubo has his "derp dunno how to move the plot forward therefore more characters"

DB/Z's kind of has a similar problem to Naruto but its caused by a different source. DB/Z and Naruto both have a very interesting cast of characters who get largely thrown aside so that Goku/Vegeta or Naruto/Sauske can do everything as the series progresses. The random time another character gets a moment to shine it feels like the author giving that character's fans a bone before going back to the golden boys.

DBZ kind of wrote itself into a corner with the power creep making it so that most characters simply were too weak to be helpful. Naruto by comparison begins focusing on them not because of bad power scaling (manga spoilers)
though that did basically just happen with the 9 tails form and sage power ups
but due to the series fights moving more towards dbz esque battles and less ninja tactics stuff like we saw in part 1

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Uh, not that I was being serious with my comment.....but this is different than DBZ how?

Bleach has so many characters. I bet if they wanted to they could do a game that rivals DBZ:BT 3 in number of characters, a game that has almost everyone from DB through GT. Way more good guys...who always lose. DBZ has a rotating core of good guy jobbers while Bleach has dozens of good guys who come in to lose.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah, Bleach prides itself on its troll twist and Kubo has his "derp dunno how to move the plot forward therefore more characters"

DB/Z's kind of has a similar problem to Naruto but its caused by a different source. DB/Z and Naruto both have a very interesting cast of characters who get largely thrown aside so that Goku/Vegeta or Naruto/Sauske can do everything as the series progresses. The random time another character gets a moment to shine it feels like the author giving that character's fans a bone before going back to the golden boys.

DBZ kind of wrote itself into a corner with the power creep making it so that most characters simply were too weak to be helpful. Naruto by comparison begins focusing on them not because of bad power scaling (manga spoilers)
though that did basically just happen with the 9 tails form and sage power ups
but due to the series fights moving more towards dbz esque battles and less ninja tactics stuff like we saw in part 1

I just want to say that handled correctly (big spoilers)
sage mode could have led to some really interesting fights due to it's charge time
. Of course the story didn't go in that direction.

MikeMyers

Bleach has too many characters, yes I agree. DBZ isn't as bad in this aspect, but it still suffers from having a big cast. Only Goku and Vegeta stay relevant through, and the latter is really just there to serve as a measuring-stick to Goku. Characters such as Lunch and Chaozu, despite how much I like them, feel really redundant about five minutes after their debut.

Bleach has so many characters. I bet if they wanted to they could do a game that rivals DBZ:BT 3 in number of characters, a game that has almost everyone from DB through GT. Way more good guys...who always lose. DBZ has a rotating core of good guy jobbers while Bleach has dozens of good guys who come in to lose.

If you split up each character the way BT3 did then absolutely because everyone could have a base, shikai, bankai form before and after the time skip x6 for every soul reaper in the series oh lawd

You just described DBZ and most long running shonen in general. These issues do not only exist in Bleach.

DBZ never pulls a "lol I was the bad guy all along" twist that Bleach has done twice so far in canon, won't be shocked if it happens again in the current arc. The closest dbz ever came to having a twist was when F trunks went "these aren't the same androids from my time they're far weaker"

Man God

Non-Canon Member
If you split up each character the way BT3 did then absolutely because everyone could have a base, shikai, bankai form before and after the time skip x6 for every soul reaper in the series oh lawd

Even without that the BT3 roster is massive. Every major character from every major arc with their powers from that arc if they show up later. It's only missing a couple of the dumb Shenron forms from having every single villain from every show and even then it got the important ones. It has almost all of the movie and filler characters only missing a few henchmen here and there.

Bleach could probably get close just having all the lieutenants/captains, past and present and the eight hojillion villains they fight and only bothering with the forms for major characters.

Well you pulled one tiny aspect of Bleach and are using that to justify the point that it's not similar to DBZ, good job. Ignoring the huge character rosters, padding via filler, bad voice acting, escalating power levels which make the original cast useless in fights, final form trap cards, etc I guess you're right. It's the same basic formula, we can argue nuances all night but the bottom line is that they're similar in structure.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I don't disagree that they are similar. Just that DBZ is better at it in everything besides music and comedy. It gets to the point faster, has better visual depiction of super heroic battles and I find it generally more entertaining.

Even without that the BT3 roster is massive. Every major character from every major arc with their powers from that arc if they show up later. It's only missing a couple of the dumb Shenron forms from having every single villain from every show and even then it got the important ones. It has almost all of the movie and filler characters only missing a few henchmen here and there.

Bleach could probably get close just having all the lieutenants/captains, past and present and the eight hojillion villains they fight and only bothering with the forms for major characters.

I really want this Bleach game, and one for OP too

Well you pulled one tiny aspect of Bleach and are using that to justify the point that it's not similar to DBZ, good job. Ignoring the huge character rosters, padding via filler, bad voice acting, escalating power levels which make the original cast useless in fights, final form trap cards, etc I guess you're right. It's the same basic formula, we can argue nuances all night but the bottom line is that they're similar in structure.

People call Bleach "dbz with swords" for a reason lol

And honestly part of the reason I really like Bleach is it's crazy plot twist, edge up on DBZ in that regard

I don't disagree that they are similar. Just that DBZ is better at it in everything besides music and comedy. It gets to the point faster, has better visual depiction of super heroic battles and I find it generally more entertaining.

Lets be fair here DBZK is better at getting to the point faster, DBZ has a lot lot lot of padding and filler. Bleach during canon doesn't do that, it just has out of nowhere filler arcs that interrupt canon which is still bad.

This is always the problem when discussing these series, are we looking at both anime and/or manga, are we talking the original series or reedit (kai), are we only talking canon or canon plus filler for anime conversation?

MikeMyers

Still, I feel like DBZ didn't use it's B-Team too well. I would have made these altercations to give them more glory.

Chaozu: Have him beat Krillin and lose to Goku at the 22nd Budokai, since the guy never gets the chance to interact with Goku. Also have him kill Buu, since he is such a badass motherfucker.

Krillin: Just have him kill Recoome when he made Recoome eat his own attack. Gohan and Krillin could have just jobbed to Burter since Burter never got a solo fight.

Piccolo: Rather than being brought back just to get his ass kicked against Frieza, he should've been brought back earlier and defeated the Ginyu Force in place of Goku, who should have just arrived for the Freeza battle only.

Tenshinhan: Have him actually defeat Goku at the Budokai, instead of winning it by luck and calling it a loss. Also instead of getting owned by Drum only for Goku to one-shot him, have him put up a decent fight like he did in the anime.

Yamcha: Have him beat Ran Fan in the 21st Budokai, since his character development was about getting over his fear of girls. Also have him beat the Mummy when he almost did, since it wouldn't change the story much.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
A DBZ BT3 like game would be nice but Namco Bandai can't even get that right...at least not in HD at any rate.

EDIT: You know what bugs me? How quickly the dead people on King Kai's planet whoop the Ginyu squad who rightly should be leagues ahead of them in power.

MikeMyers

Lets be fair here DBZK is better at getting to the point faster, DBZ has a lot lot lot of padding and filler. Bleach during canon doesn't do that, it just has out of nowhere filler arcs that interrupt canon which is still bad

Well if you wanna compare:
Bleach is 366 Episodes, covers 54 volumes
DBZ Kai is 169 Episodes, covers 26 volumes
DBZ is 291 Episodes, covers 26 volumes.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'd argue that a volume of DBZ covers a lot more territory than a volume of Bleach though.

That manga can be impossible to read at times.

MikeMyers

You know what bugs me? How quickly the dead people on King Kai's planet whoop the Ginyu squad who rightly should be leagues ahead of them in power.

Well, a V-Jump scan has Tenshinhan saying that they all became strong, and its during the timeframe of the Freeza fight, where the humans beat the Ginyu Force. So I buy it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
When Kubo finishes Bleach, he should start a career as a fashion designer.

Seriously, fashion is one of his few strong suits.

Absolutely, the man can drew great looking people wearing some amazing things.

Alright, now for what I've been up to Tonight, Samurai 7 quick takes!

Episode 15:

They won! Big Red is a shitty farmer! The second quest has begun!

Episode 16:

Someone is going to die! Hope its not one of the interesting characters! Aww shit it is.

Episode 17:

Clip/travel episode. Sold his wife comes back up.

Episode 18:

Clones? Emperor in a jar? Sold his wife guy is now on the bad end track.

Episode 19:

What a tweest! Double Kill!

Episode 20:

Death before dishonor or dishonor before death? You choose.

Episode 21:

At least this show has Kambei and Big Red.

Episode 22:

Aww shit Samurai 7 turned into low budget FLCL.

Episode 18-21 were really quite pleasant to watch. The animation wasn't good looking but it wasn't awful either and stuff happened.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Celty is the best part of DRRR! and is why the second half sucks so much. That and the opening isn't as good as the original one.

Celty's just a headless Mary Sue, and the second opening is way better.

Well if you wanna compare:
Bleach is 366 Episodes, covers 54 volumes
DBZ Kai is 169 Episodes, covers 26 volumes
DBZ is 291 Episodes, covers 26 volumes.

True but Bleach largely keeps its filler self contained and the series is almost 50% filler, dbz by comparison has most of its filler mixed in with canon so we see episode after episode of Goku's misadventures on Snake Way and Gohan's adventures in the wild. Though...

I'd argue that a volume of DBZ covers a lot more territory than a volume of Bleach though.

That manga can be impossible to read at times.

This is also true, by weekly series standards Kubo really is slow, I like Bleach but if you look at the past 2 chapters there is no reason they couldn't have been combined into one. I don't want every series to be OP in terms of weekly content (which can sometimes be too much of too many plot lines where nothing moves each week) but he clearly wants his manga to be read by volume and not weekly

MikeMyers

Most of the Saiyan Arc filler was actually written by Toriyama though, like Yamcha becoming the world's greatest baseball player or Lunch actually finding Tenshihan.

I do agree that Toriyama puts more in a chapter than Kubo. Well, until the Cell and Buu arcs, where stuff like Goku Vs Majin Vegeta was just a brief scuffle.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Most of the Saiyan Arc filler was actually written by Toriyama though, like Yamcha becoming the world's greatest baseball player or Lunch actually finding Tenshihan.

I do agree that Toriyama puts more in a chapter than Kubo. Well, until the Cell and Buu arcs, where stuff like Goku Vs Majin Vegeta was just a brief scuffle.

The best DBZ filler was when they drove cars. Actually that was probably the best episode of the show. The Teen Gohan stuff was great too, especially looking back on it as an adult.

The fights and stuff don't do anything for me anymore.

GAF has been crazy lately. There's probably a more elegant way to word it but I'm tired.

Mario Kart 8 mass bans, Watch_Dogs piracy and everything else surrounding that game, the whole NeoGAF -> E3 thing, this is all I needed to see to know where that shooting thread has gone, and whatever the hell this is

x_x

This is my refuge

*Hides in an overturned box*
Ah jeez. I missed a few of those. Glad I almost never post in gaming, only just post information. It's better that way.

Why did people get banned for MK8 stuff anyways?

daveo42

Banned
GAF has been crazy lately. There's probably a more elegant way to word it but I'm tired.

Mario Kart 8 mass bans, Watch_Dogs piracy and everything else surrounding that game, the whole NeoGAF -> E3 thing, this is all I needed to see to know where that shooting thread has gone, and whatever the hell this is

x_x

This is my refuge

*Hides in an overturned box*

I haven't been in gaming or even OT all the much all day today. I'm more curious where that 2nd post was from. That tag he got though...brilliant.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Tomorrow is a holiday so I might as well finish the rest of it right now.

Samurai 7 Hot Takes!

Episode 23: Giant Death Laser! Betrayalton! Ghost Samuari! Soulless robot samurai! Katsushiro Express! The Guardians are gasp...Samurai!

Episode 24: The Capital is the mothership from the war! The villagers don't want the shitty Samurai, they want the Big K. Durian! Big Red got engaged! Only the sword of a true Samurai can do what? Really? Really? This animation is awful.

Episode 25: Fighting Mobile Dolls, what is this, Gundam Wing? Popcorn popping. Log ride. Ganta is going to eat so much rice...Send in the clones! No, not Big Red! Evil Vash out of nowhere...and oopsie. Damn distracting fake film grain.

Episode 26: Cycle of violence! Cutting shells in half is no big deal after deflecting a death laser. Big Red has about thirty false deaths. Oh wait there he goes cutting the capital in half with an oversized pocket knife. Kambei...won something??? Dem Boots! A new priestess! Passing of the sword, Katsushiro is still a jobber though. Rice song, awful animation. He got his wife back! Kambei is addicted to the L, he can't take the W no matter what.

Raxus

When Kubo finishes Bleach, he should start a career as a fashion designer.

Seriously, fashion is one of his few strong suits.

Minor character design spoilers
As long as he doesn't make Ichigo's current design in the manga. It looks like he fell in a fabric store.

Now that Dragonball Z Kai is coming to Toonami, one question remains. Which opening (or rather, which singer) will be shown?

This one?

Or this one?

Personally, I prefer the latter one.

Not that it matters since it'll be cut to pieces. =(

MikeMyers

Shard and BassForever, episode 5 and 6 are now on Hulu.

You'll have to wait 'til next to get to Sailor Mercury's debut.

Also, the guy in Episode 6 is voiced by Cell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom