• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |MayJun17| WE ARE ROBOTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
dIWo6MD.gif

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I still wonder if DeMarco pulls the plug on Naruto after the Pain arc is over. Issues of quality aside, Shippuden goes through a level a filler hell and padding that makes Bleach's final years look tame by comparison.

It's why I wished we ditched it instead of One Piece, which was about to go through it's craziest series of arcs to date.

Seda

The only thing I remember about Code Lyoko is that they literally reset the world every episode. Kinda felt like 'what's the point'.

I'm not familiar with Lupin too much. But seems like it'll be a different sort of tone (non-shonen, non mecha) that Toonami could use. I don't really care if it's not a ratings king :p

bigkrev

The ONLY thing I know about Code Lyoko is that a PSP homebrew DDR clone pack of Anime songs I downloaded once had a song from Code Lyoko in it

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I should question "DDR on PSP", but then I remember Konami actually released DDR on GAME BOY COLOR of all things back in the day, complete with an add-on to replicate the floor pad.

Edit: & the fact because I never had a good pad nor the room to even lay one out, I'd just use the PS2 controller to play it...

So there was a coach in Code Lyoko, who straight up gets killed multiple times by the antagonizing force. I think he also got turned into a zombie at one point.

the_coach.png

I don't think he ever becomes aware of this, because the show like Seda said, revolved around resetting the clock after something bad happens.

It's just not that interesting of a conflict where everything goes back to normal every episode, and things only ramp up for the big moments.

bigkrev

I should question "DDR on PSP", but then I remember Konami actually released DDR on GAME BOY COLOR of all things back in the day, complete with an add-on to replicate the floor pad.

Edit: & the fact because I never had a good pad nor the room to even lay one out, I'd just use the PS2 controller to play it...
it was homebrew. Like Step Step Mania on PC. You could load those files into it and it could load them on PSP

Look, PSP is a weird thing that happened at an exact point in my life and is probably my favorite system ever. Don't Judge me

So there was a coach in Code Lyoko, who straight up gets killed multiple times by the antagonizing force. I think he also got turned into a zombie at one point.

the_coach.png

I don't think he ever becomes aware of this, because the show like Seda said, revolved around resetting the clock after something bad happens.

It's just not that interesting of a conflict where everything goes back to normal every episode, and things only ramp up for the big moments.

5435918__8bb8c842c494c8b2807134e6f3967129.jpg

Regiruler

On the flipside, it lets them go really dark with the episodes. There are outright wars on multiple occasions.

But I'm pretty sure there was a turning point in one of the season finales where he becomes immune to the memory wipe after he helps out.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
it was homebrew. Like Step Step Mania on PC. You could load those files into it and it could load them on PSP

Look, PSP is a weird thing that happened at an exact point in my life and is probably my favorite system ever. Don't Judge me
I need to rebuy a PSP so I can get around to getting some imports like the Konami shmup titles & that Pop'n Music they released for it. Not to mention someone on here is sending me a free copy of Half Minute Hero 2 for it, & I've been wanting to play that for so long (yes, I know, PC version, but I have a bad habit of getting something on PC & forgetting it exists because I find myself getting distracted by other things I could be doing on my laptop).

Heck, I remember using my PSP as my main MP3 player & would watch anime on the bus ride home from school. Even used my Vita as my MP3 player for some time until I finally got a decent smart phone.

...but to be back on topic, wonder how long until we see a Lupin promo on the block.

Z

ZelbZelb

Unconfirmed Member
If I recall correctly, every time they reset the day in that show makes the evil AI they were fighting smarter. So every episode the AI's plans to kill them got more sophisticated. It got to a point where having to reset the day was thought of as a loss.

Raxus

I'm not familiar with Lupin too much. But seems like it'll be a different sort of tone (non-shonen, non mecha) that Toonami could use. I don't really care if it's not a ratings king :p

Watch The Castle of Cagliostro when you get a chance.

Seda

CfpKSt9.png

MFzPAAs.png

Samurai Jack (Season 5): May 20
Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096: June 10
Attack on Titan S2: July 15
Tokyo Ghoul: September 16
Lupin the 3rd: December 9
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: August 5 (1st season), February 3, 2018 (2nd GIG)
Dragonball Z Kai: The Final Chapters: May 5, 2018
Hunter x Hunter: March 30, 2019
Naruto Shippuden: AHAHAHA
Dragon Ball Super: ┐(ツ)┌

Do we know what's happening with Samurai Jack yet? Rerun at 11PM?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
On the flipside, it lets them go really dark with the episodes. There are outright wars on multiple occasions.

Exactly. And the characters and Xana eventually became more wise to what was going on, and they toyed with the comfort a reset button gave, too.

And I think all of them have way more ridiculous foreheads than Sakura's Billboard brow ever could claim, heh.

I've enjoyed pretty much each "French Anime" I've seen, actually. Wish Obon Star Racers was an early-block show on Toonami.

Mizerman

If I recall correctly, every time they reset the day in that show makes the evil AI they were fighting smarter. So every episode the AI's plans to kill them got more sophisticated. It got to a point where having to reset the day was thought of as a loss.

Yeah, Xana got wiser every time it fought the team.

Having realized the Pokemon Master dream isn't going anywhere, Ash has decided to devote himself to a new dream.

giphy.gif

Okay not really, but next week's episode looks great.

Exactly. And the characters and Xana eventually became more wise to what was going on, and they toyed with the comfort a reset button gave, too.

And I think all of them have way more ridiculous foreheads than Sakura's Billboard brow ever could claim, heh.

I've enjoyed pretty much each "French Anime" I've seen, actually. Wish Obon Star Racers was an early-block show on Toonami.
Maybe everyone in France has a giant forehead? :eek:
Also, I think I read somewhere that it was CN highest rated show at one point .

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The Sun and Moon anime works just because of how great Rowlet and Mimikyu are.

That and being a weekly kids show better animated (and in most cases written) than any other show. For three straight years. It's even better looking than every limited run series and most OVAs and movies released in that time span.

Pokémon breaks the mold. Think if One Piece or Naruto looked this good every single week.

cntr

Banned
I wonder what happened to make the Pokemon anime so good again. Did the fans of the original seasons grow up and work on the new ones?

Moaradin

Pokemon definitely stepped it up in the last few years. It looked like garbage for most of its run. They've been pushing digital animation a lot and it's definitely paying off.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I wonder what happened to make the Pokemon anime so good again. Did the fans of the original seasons grow up and work on the new ones?

It became a retirement home for some really good animators. Also the natural structure of the show allows for off weeks where they can be lazy (Their lazy episodes are better than most shows big budget episodes, it still doesn't make any sense)

cntr

Banned
Man, it's kind of funny to realize, when most of us were growing up we probably thought of Pokemon as a series with a bad anime and games with no plot, but kids growing up now are going to know Pokemon for its great anime and its complicated jrpg-ass plot.

It became a retirement home for some really good animators. Also the natural structure of the show allows for off weeks where they can be lazy (Their lazy episodes are better than most shows big budget episodes, it still doesn't make any sense)
Huh. That's actually kind of nice.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Also as an old fogey who has seen the anime front to back more than I care to admit Pokémon also looked good and was well written for it's first series. It looked fine in Johto as well but the writing really slipped and it slowly started to look bad as they got into more digital methods with the Ruby/Sapphire series and beyond.

The absolute low point of the anime, ironically enough, is the season before XY started. A filler season to bridge the gap between the Unova league and XY. It starts to look okay by the end as they figure some things out but it is the absolute bottom barrel for the writing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom