• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT5| If we die in this thread, we die in real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Toonami Q & A Part 5:

Anonymous Asked: If it's coming from "the source" why are only some uploads in HD, then?

Time restrictions, mostly. Other issues too. What, are we lying again?? Oh, silly anons.

Anonymous Asked: There are every concept arts and storybords of the early and final designs of toonami and ties on you post it?

Ummm… we THINK we understand what you’re asking? Yes, we have posted concept art for Toonami TIEs and we will continue to do so.

jchill001 Asked: what are the chances of getting attack on titan when that gets dubbed?

Let’s see how the show closes itself out before we worry about that. :)

askkneesockssan Asked: Which opening do you prefer for IGPX - the Japanese intro (which I believe is personally a rockin' song), or Peter Cullen's amazing introduction?

We prefer Peter, obviously! :)

+ Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
Anonymous Asked: Out of all the shows on toonami, why does bleach get to play its full opening. I know naruto's opening is short, but bleach's opening is a minute and a half. So why?

Whatever show opens our block will run it’s full open. Right now, that’s Bleach.

maelstromnexus Asked: I'm gonna try asking another question... How many people started work on and created Toonami? Also, would the name Toonami happen to be a pun off the words "Toon" and "Tsunami"? ;)

Toonami was created by Sean Akins and Jason DeMarco. Gill Austin was also there from the very very beginning. And yes, “Toonami" is a portmanteau of the words “Cartoon" and “Tsunami!"

Anonymous Asked: So what made you decide to pick Sword Art Online? Was it because it reminded you of .hack// sign?

No, we picked it because a) many, many toonami fans asked us to pick it up, b) we watched as many eps as we could and liked it and felt it was a good fit, and c) our friends at Aniplex made us an offer we couldn’t refuse!

toonfaithful53 Asked: What made you want to begin uploading the intros and promos to YouTube as soon as they hit the air? Was it to compete with Toonami Faithful on Youtube who post the videos? (It always bothers me that for some reason, idiots on youtube believe that the people who post these WORK FOR YOU.)

We wanted the best possible video to come from us, the source!

handeliondands Asked: toonami what happened to flcl? do you guys still have the rights? will it one day return to the toonami lineup i know and love?

As we’ve said before, FLCL will return!

jintor Asked: Do you ever need to clear anything with rightsholders when editing together promos or is it pretty much free reign for you guys?

We don’t need to clear anything, no. Thanks for your question!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Toonami Q & A Part 6:

dragonzord1993 Asked: If a show like Deadman Wonderland, ThunderCats, or Sym-Bionic Titan gets a second season, would you bring it back for another round on Toonami (not a full round, just starting at the second season)?

Anything is possible!

Anonymous Asked: Any ambitions of having more Western Action shows on Toonami in the future?

Definitely!

We’ll be playing games on all three systems!

Anonymous Asked: Are you psyched for E3 and Comic Con next month? What is the first thing you're going to do when you get there?

We’ll be working!

finchomatic Asked: Thanks for answering my question, I have another one. Has the Toonami crew been watching any newer anime recently (Dubbed or Subbed)?

We’re always watching various subs and dubs….

davenboyd Asked: people always ask about JBV music but I'm curious about hearing Tommy Guerrero or DJ Calus. not likely eh?

Not likely, no. We love them both though!

Anonymous Asked: Are you gonna do more paid events like the one for Oblivion? I'd love to see one for Pacific Rim (CHICKS! DIG GIANT ROBOTS!!! Nice!)

mmmmmaaaaybe!

Anonymous Asked: what kind of work goes on inside toonami? is it a small group of people doing everything from show negotiations to video editing, or is a larger crew with departments and such?

Toonami is run by 6 people from stem to stern, all of whom work on it for free.

Anonymous Asked: A lot of fans are worried about the time slot SAO is in, do you anything to say to kind of justify this? I know you guys are the experts and I trust you, but for I can understand their concern.

We’re not concerned. It’s going to do great and that slot is a great place for it. We know what we’re doing. ;)

Anonymous Asked: Any one of the crew own a 3ds or a Vita?

Yes and yes!

Anonymous Asked: If a broadcasting company or a radio show asked you to do an interview about how Toonami helped the fans and made them bwcome anime fans, would it help it in any way possible?

Couldn’t hurt!

themagicfetus Asked: So sorry if you answered a question about this, but I saw something about Symbionic Titan? Is that show coming back? I thought it was canceled? Thanks~

It’s being removed from the block to rest for a while, but it will be back!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Toonami Q & A Part 7:

Anonymous Asked: Hey Toonami crew! If you don't mind me asking, what was the hardest show (pre or post 2012) to acquire for Toonami?

IGPX

Anonymous Asked: Do you think it would be possible for you guys to make a bleach promo showcasing the final battle between Ichigo and Aizen? It would be a nice change of pace for Toonami

Hm good idea!

Anonymous Asked: Do you like Mac Miller?

We DIDN’T, but his new album kinda won us over!

headbandone Asked: I see your starting Big O at season 2. As someone who's never seen season 1, would I be lost if I just jumped into it from there?

We don’t think you’d be lost! But if you’re worried about it, you can find season one on the internet…

duelistinblack Asked: I do hope tomorrow's Q&A isn't full of people arguing about the adult swim schedule being gone. that would suck.

We haven’t had a single question about it, actually.

Anonymous Asked: I know that you're finished on an upcoming speech promo. How long did it take you to come up with a certain topic to talk about?

We’ve been working on it for a couple months.

Anonymous Asked: Will Megas XLR make a return?

No, sorry.

madeupmonkeyshit Asked: how do yall decided which shows will be apart of the line up, so far the animes you guys of chosen are really good and animes my friends have been telling me to watch

We base all of our decisions on a few factors: do we LIKE the show and think it’s a good fit for Toonami, is it available, is it expensive? Are Toonami fans asking for it? Is it new-ish?

maelstromnexus Asked: What would you call the Golden Era of Toonami?

EVERY ERA

Anonymous Asked: Was it your plan from the beginning to get naruto and one piece back on Toonami?

Not from the beginning, no. But once they became available, we knew we had to get them!

itsduhelmomonster Asked: Would you show a Studio Gibli movies like Spirited Away, Princess Monoko, or Ponyo?

Those rights have shifted, anything is possible but it’s unlikely.

finchomatic Asked: So! The Adult Swim announced it's lineup for San Diego Comic Con recently, unfortunately was unable to get some Toonami in that mix... Any way you guys could convince Adult Swim that Toonami should be a part of events included with Adult Swim like Comic Con?

well, we appreciate the thought, but we don’t have much news to talk about right now, so a panel wouldn’t really make sense!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Toonami Q & A Part 8:

Anonymous Asked: So just to be clear on this, you have no concerns what so ever about the infamous insect subplot found in Sword Art Online?

INSECT subplot??

…nope. :)

Anonymous Asked: How do you guys decide the show schedule? Is it done just for the ratings or is there other factors?

Ratings are the main factor, but “flow" is another.

swagathor Asked: Would you guys ever consider doing another collaborative album like Deep Space Bass?

That’s probably not in the cards in the future, sorry.

Anonymous Asked: 1.) Will there be more Toonami music recommendations? 2.) what artist did you recommend recently? What artist was the hardest to recommend for Toonami?

We just did some! Just search the “music" tag and you can pull up most of our recs. None of them were hard, really! We just like sharing music we love. :)

bluealexander93 Asked: Hypothetical worst-case scenario: Sword Art Online ends up underperforming at 2am and starts to tank. Are there any damage control plans for such an event?

Any show can be moved or shifted if it becomes necessary!

davenboyd Asked: what genre of music are you interested in having on Toonami as of late?

Anything with beats, pretty much!

Anonymous Asked: How come you're airing Sword Art Online in late July? Didn't you guys said you'd air it in August?

We did “said" we’d air it in August, but we decided we had a slot earlier.

Anonymous Asked: Hey Toonami crew! If you don't mind me asking, which fellow writers (whether they be for novels, manga, american comics, video games, film, etc.) do you guys have the most respect for? (or the most fun reading, watching, participating in, etc.)

That’s a big question… manga: Tezuka, Otomo, Koike, Toriyama are all foundational musts. Let’s start there!

Anonymous Asked: Hey Toonami Crew! I forget if this has been asked before (I apologize if it has), but what were your favorite t.v. shows when you were growing up?

We grew up with Gaiking, Danguard Ace, Voltron, Star Blazers, Robotech, G.I. Joe, Astro Boy, Gigantor, and many other amazing shows that inspired us to do this!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Tonami Q&A Part 9:

Anonymous Asked: Who decides what games you guys review? Is it a team vote, or does it come from higher up?

Usually Gill and Jason decide what games to review. Sometimes Dennis will come up with a suggestion!

Anonymous Asked: As far as the difficulties recording footage of Wii U games, is it because of problems recording or is it because of issues trying to use footage from both the TV and gamepad? I hope you all figure something out before Pikmin 3 is released.

Both! Folks love Nintendo but they didn’t do us any favors with the Wii U. :)

Anonymous Asked: Please, please, please, when another movie night is in the works, don't make it a Miyazaki fest. There are so many other wonderful animated movies from Japan that never get any love, and all I see people ask for is Ghibli/Miyazaki.

We’ve only ever had one Month of Miyazaki in 12 years, why would you think we’d suddenly be airing Miyazaki movies at the expense of other stuff?

Anonymous Asked: This is a question I just have to ask: How come Toonami aired thst Trojan man commercial? Does that pay into Toonami like Hot Pockets?

Any commercial you see inside Toonami is an advertiser who paid to be in Toonami.

Anonymous Asked: Not to be rude but why did you start one piece in the davy back fights arc an arc dislike by even hardcore fans instead of later arc like water 7 arc is it because funimation hasn't dubbed enough of it

We started it there because the show was in HD and we (and Funimation) felt it was an easy arc for new fans to get into the show without being lost.

….seems to have worked.

thereisonlytheforce Asked: If you guys wanted to, could you air the old promos from Toonami's original run, or do you not have the rights?

We don’t want to, and we don’t have the rights anyway!

boyaku-otaku Asked: Do you guys check the Toonami tag here often? I've seen a lot of Hot Pocket commercials lately, so I'm convinced that's the case.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but we don’t.

Anonymous Asked: In the very early days you showed a lot of extreme sports bumps like skateboarding and biking? What was the idea behind this? Were you trying to be 'edgy'?

Toonami has NEVER tried to be “edgy." From the beginning, we wanted Toonami to reflect our interests. Skating, DJIng, outer space, etc. All of our interstitials were made because we had passion for their subjects and wanted to inspire kids to grow up and do some of that awesome stuff. That was our entire reasoning.

toonfaithful53 Asked: Is Jason /really/ considering an IGPX mixtape?! I would seriously love that and i know alot of other people would too. Please do it!

He MIGGGHT BE…..

toonami-atfermath Asked: There Are Rare 2003 Promos

Are there?

Anonymous Asked: Are You Going To Do More Game Reviews and Speeches in The Near Future?

Yes and yes!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Toonami Q & A Part 10:

hypeathon Asked: Hey guys. Was there ever a time where with coming up with a quote for TOM or "the big guy" (be it Peter Cullen or Howard Parker) for a music video, promo or video game review, have you guys ever had a hard time coming with a good quote? Like you had trouble thinking of one from the top of your head?

Oh, that happens all the time! We never think of them off the top of our heads, though. We take our time and try to write good copy!

destroytyler Asked: In regards to bringing back IGPX to the air, was it difficult convincing the higher ups to do so? It still seems so crazy that Adult Swim was willing to bring back IGPX back to the air after so many airs & the current circumstance it was in.

It was just a very time consuming process! We had to do a lot of convincing, as always. :)

nuckles87 Asked: I see a lot of people whining about SAO. I confess this has me worried about the quality of the series, but my question is: for Toonami, and television in general, does the reaction of fans on the websites usually have any link to a show's performance? Or are they just a very vocal minority not representative of the greater audience?

It’s almost always a very vocal minority not representative of the greater audience, you’re correct!

Anonymous Asked: I know you probably get this a lot (and I have seen a few of the answers, so I will be short); Bleach is nearing the end and it is mostly fillers after the current arc. Do you think you will pull a DBZ and just restart it from the beginning? As a fan of the show I wouldn't really mind that really.

We’re not sure what will happen with Bleach, yet!

Anonymous Asked: That last episode of Eureka Seven had me thinking: If you're going to air something that is rated TV-MA, then at least warn us about the content of that certain episode. So was everyone shocked about that Eureka Seven episode last night or were they not suprised about it?

Toonami begins with a warning that some content might not be suitable, every single week. And no, no one was shocked.

toonfaithful53 Asked: How often do you guys watch "Fake Toonami" intros and promos created by fans?

We look at them when we have time! We love seeing the passion fans bring to those opens and promos.

Anonymous Asked: You're getting a lot of Attack on Titan questions, but this one I don't think you've gotten yet. So far, how do y'all at Toonami like the show?

So far, we like it!

Anonymous Asked: Is the reason you're telling people to wait until Titan ends before suggesting due to all the complaints about the ending of SAO?

That’s but ONE reason. There are many.

Anonymous Asked: So what's going to happen to Thundercats now that the rights to it expired?

We have no idea, sorry. It’s out of our hands.

imtannman Asked: With next gen consoles coming out I'm sure we can expect great video games in the future from you guys. But is there a specific console that you like more than the other (PS4 or Xbox One)?

Since those consoles haven’t been released, it’s too early to say!

toonfaithful53 Asked: Has there ever been an instance where either a Warp, Ghostly, Williams Street or Ninja Tunes musician has come to you and mentioned that they love hearing their music on Toonami? A friend of mine asked MuxMool on twitter and he said he didnt have cable so he doesnt watch toonami!!

Flying Lotus is one!

god-my-oh Asked: How's the next movie night coming along?

Just fine, thanks!

Anonymous Asked: in your honest opinion, what do you think was the best show to ever grace toonami?

Cowboy. Bebop.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Toonami Q & A Part 11:

Anonymous Asked: If you have a few words to say about either Toonami or any show that is on there, what will it be?

"Please watch"

Anonymous Asked: I have an idea for a t.v. show. I told some of my friends and they said i hit the jackpot. How could i pitch this to someone? What are the steps i should take? i didnt know who else to ask. Thank you!

You should write a series synopsis, a show bible, perhaps some log lines (descriptions of possible episodes), and have character designs and art showing the look of the show. Then send it to every network or production company you can find! Good luck!

jesusismygardener Asked: Who's idea was it to put Toonami on instead of "The Room" last year?(p.s. i love you all <3)

That was Mike Lazzo, head of Adult Swim, and Kim Manning, head of AS programming. Bless their hearts.

Anonymous Asked: What's one show you guys really wanted to air but never could be able to?

Hmmm Ranma 1/2 is one!

Anonymous Asked: Still willing to defend Tenchi Muyo GXP?

We don&#8217;t feel a need to! It aired, it did fine, some liked it, some didn&#8217;t. Same as most shows! We enjoyed it.

meditating-leo Asked: Not sure if you guys got the question I submitted a while back so I'll just go ahead and ask again lol. Do you think you'll ever be able to air some of the newer Gundam series'? (I.e. Gundam 00 which had 2 seasons, or Gundam AGE which had 3?)

Sorry, we can&#8217;t discuss future or possible show acquisitions here.

Anonymous Asked: do you guys get questions even when it's not q&a day

Yes, but not often!

Anonymous Asked: How often do you go to youtube? Because if you check out some past promos you made, it will surely bring back some nostalgia.

We check &#8216;em out once in a while. It&#8217;s not really the same when you are the person that made them, though, you know?

toonfaithful53 Asked: Jason mentioned on the One Piece Podcast that there is typically a person who watches all of a show, so my question is, whos the "Bleach Guy"?

Sara.

Anonymous Asked: Three questions. Why are you losing the rights to Thundercats? Will we see anymore western cartoons on the block? What are the chances of getting Young Justice and/or The Green Lantern on the block? Also looking forward to Toonami's future and surprises. Keep up the good work :)

We&#8217;re losing the rights to Thundercats because the rights are reverting back to the production company!

hypeathon Asked: Hey Toonami crew, I wanted to ask something that may have not been asked before. When it comes to the 3D visuals of the block that viewers wind up seeing, from the TOM and Sara to the Clydes and the Absolution, what kind of software do you use? I'm thinking it's Maya since that's the go-to professional 3D software I keep hearing, but I'd rather ask you guys anyway to be sure. Also how long does it take to animate a new gesture for TOM, like hand movements or the way he enters the control room?

We&#8217;ve used Maya, Renderman, and a host of other programs to animate TOM/Sara over the years!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Toonami Q&A Part 12:

Anonymous Asked: I enjoy the 'small talk' between TOM and SARA at the beginning of the show. Any possibility of making it a bit longer in the future?

We doubt it. We only have so much time, and while we like to have TOM and SARA gab, we can&#8217;t have it take up the space we&#8217;d use for a game review, speech or promo! Glad you dig it though!

Anonymous Asked: Toonami seems like a shonen block. There are many animes out there that have cult audiences like baka and test, angel beats, chobits, mirrai nikki, and ah my goddess. What are tha chances of any oftese animes makin it on toonami?

We don&#8217;t care about classifications like &#8220;shonen." Toonami has always been about great action shows, and always will. Anyone expecting anything less than that from us is looking in the wrong place!

Anonymous Asked: Do you have any concerns about the incest subplot in Sword Art Online?

Not particularly, no.

nuckles87 Asked: Is this "mystery show" you guys have been talking about coming this year? What with another slot opening up and all...

People are making a bigger deal out of that then they should. We are always trying to get shows, some we do and some we don&#8217;t. We have surprises coming though!

councilofone Asked: Ah, someone already asked about Big O season one. Are the issues regarding airing that the same as with IGPX? Anyway, glad to see you guys are still airing season two!

Yes, we co-produced Big O season two, and Bandai owns the rights to season one solely. Unfortunately, Bandai America folding means we don&#8217;t have a way to get the rights to show season one.

anination Asked: When can we expect to see those wallpapers you guys were working on?

We know, we know. Hopefully soon!

Anonymous Asked: I don't understand how you lost the rights to thundercats but you didn't lose sym bionic titan rights, they are both cn shows yes?

Yes, but one was wholly owned by CN and one was created with partners at WB. CN did not own the rights to the Thundercats characters. TV is complicated! If you want more info, we suggest you dig around for particulars online.

Anonymous Asked: I'm amazed we got to do a Q&A, but would it be good to start every 1st of the month?

What difference would that make?

Anonymous Asked: do you believe that daft punk owes their success to you guys airing their music on the original midnight run?

Ha! Definitely not. But it does make us happy to know that we exposed them to a lot of people for the first time. We&#8217;ve had a lot of Toonami fans tell us that!

Anonymous Asked: Come on can you tell us what Show is replacing eureka seven after its run? or can you at least tell us when it will be announced?

NO HINTS

Anonymous Asked: Who came up with the tag line 'love stinks' for the Tenchi promos way back when?

Jason came up with that tag.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Toonami Q&A Part 13:

6mr Asked: Will we ever see Japanese Animation with subtitles on Toonami?

No, never, sorry. Subtitles = ratings death.

toonfaithful53 Asked: Does Kim Manning ever use social media? Jason gets all these requests, when in fact Kim is the one that really ought to be receiving them. lol

Kim doesn&#8217;t do social media for that very reason! :)

Anonymous Asked: when are you going to make toonami merchandise?

We don&#8217;t have funds for that at present, sorry.

trashmasterize Asked: Do you guys ever think about showing more fanservice savvy shows on toonami

Soul Eater and Tenchi weren&#8217;t enough for you? :)

Anonymous Asked: Have you ever considered doing these Q&A sessions later in the day? I know some fans who want to participate in real time, but can't since they're usually too tired after the block ends.

Sorry, we have to do this when it&#8217;s convenient for US, since this is our day off&#8230;.

cbkask Asked: Theoretically, Daft Punk comes to you guys and says, "wanna promote are music." What would you say?

"How can we help?"

Anonymous Asked: I know Adult Swim have budget issues in the past, but is all that resolved now that Toonami is doing great with ratings? Because sometimes it has shows that have Triple millions and sometimes it has quadruple millions. Does it help adult swim at all?

Toonami is doing just fine and we&#8217;re getting the funds we need, thanks!

Anonymous Asked: From what I could tell, no one asked this question specifically. So, SAO's opening (and possibly ending?) will be cut down considerably?

If they&#8217;re very long, yes.

scstank94 Asked: I've been watching IGPX for the first time and I'm really loving it! I wanted to know is here a set of rules that the racers abide by during matches? The show hasn't explained anything like this yet to my knowledge.

Glad you&#8217;re liking it! There are rules but they&#8217;re pretty loosely defined, to be honest. They get a bit more fleshed out as the show goes on!

Anonymous Asked: Is it your intent with the new Toonami to promote other artists through promos/intros/etc? After hearing "The Choice is Yours", I immediately went out and purchased "Memory Residue" through iTunes. Great track. I really like the idea of promoting music through the promos/intros, etc.

We&#8217;ve always tried to do that! Thanks for letting us know it sometimes works!

ecw28 Asked: Isn't CN owned by Warner Brothers?

We are part of the same parent company, but WB and CN are their own separate entities. Again, use the internet, folks!

skakezoolah97 Asked: What are your opinions of fox's adhd block??

We&#8217;ll see!

Anonymous Asked: People always make fun of the name 'Big O' because if you have a dirty mind it can mean something else too. Did you ever run into this problem?

Not really, no.

Anonymous Asked: How do you guys feel about your air space? I wonder because you guys used to be an after-school show, and while I understand that your original audience has grown up, will you be making any attempts to return or extend your air time? Could you be late night weekend AND after school program? I ask because there is new generation that I think could use your inspirational videos. (I certainly did back then)

We appreciate it, but Toonami will not be back on CN.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Toonami Q&A Part 14:

jeargumedo Asked: Maybe you can clear this up for me. I've been told that [as] produced the second season of Ghost In The Shell, but I don't see Williams Street or Turner listed anywhere in the production committee. Is this true or is my leg being pulled?

Adult Swim helped fund both Seasons of GITS but did not &#8220;produce" the show. They just helped paid for it as a production partner.

Anonymous Asked: What is your advice to someone who wants to work at cartoon network (particularly on the numbers side). Did most of the Toonami team work elsewhere in the animation industry or get hired right out of college?

Most of the Toonami team got hired right out of college. We&#8217;d advise you to try to get an internship anywhere working in media and get some experience under your belt! Work very hard, don&#8217;t complain, look for opportunities where you can learn more, and take your shot when you see a chance for a career! Good luck.

Anonymous Asked: Do you think to Toonami is responsible for most of today's otakus?

A good bit of &#8216;em, that&#8217;s for sure! ;)

snackster1001 Asked: Hello toonami crew, I just wanted to say, what is your favorite show on toonami currently?

They&#8217;re all our little babies, we love them all equally.

Anonymous Asked: In Oct. 29, 2005 Promo, which track do you use as a song?

Sorry guys, we don&#8217;t remember songs we used in unnamed promos from 7 years ago! Wish we could help.

jeargumedo Asked: Will IGPX get a second run or will you lose the rights after this run?

We should be able to run it for the forseeable future.

nuckles87 Asked: Would you guys be willing to review a game that is a year or two old, or do you only want to do recent releases?

We try to stick to newer or overlooked releases only.

cbkask Asked: Is the guy that design TOM 5, the absolution Mk.III, and Sara 3 also doing some animation for the current era?

yes!

jeargumedo Asked: How is it working with S&P today compared to the Cartoon Network days? Also, the policy now at the network is that the distributors edit the shows not you guys, correct?

We can&#8217;t really discuss how things work with S&P, sorry. The policy is for distributors to edit shows when necessary, yes.

1e01a7504f98b556e9a9.png

Still staring and watching.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Toonami Q&A Part 15:

Anonymous Asked: Why are there people who still freakout whenever Toonami has a "bad" week? Toonami is currently supplying Adult Swim with half of its weekly premieres; that's pretty damn good.

People like to freak out. It will be ok. Thanks for the concern though.

Anonymous Asked: about the wii u predicament.... why dont u guys do what smosh does? and strap a go pro camera onto ur stomachs?

Because we&#8217;re a TV network, and that isn&#8217;t good enough! :)

Anonymous Asked: Okay, so is it understood then that one of the big reasons filler is so dreaded is because the show usually returns to the manga and renders all of those non manga events into non-canon pointlessness?

What is &#8220;pointless?" When something happens in an episode of Bonanza, and the next week those events aren&#8217;t specifically referenced, does that mean that episode was &#8220;pointless" or &#8220;non-canon?" No, it doesn&#8217;t. TV is not comics. Every single thing does not have to build on every other thing. This is accepted thinking created by hardcore otaku and we utterly reject it.

Anonymous Asked: Is there anyone on the toonami crew who's love for action stems beyond animation and American action flicks? You know like the super sentai (Japanese power rangers) kamen rider, and garo series. Or is that all just gibberish?

We&#8217;re not Power Ranger fans, but we do love Ultraman! And of course, Kaiju of all kinds.

Anonymous Asked: I Love you guys! You have helped me in tough times and your shows are awesome!

Thanks, we love you too, you&#8217;ve helped US through some tough times!

xheriotzax Asked: Is there's going to be another movie night? And if yes any news what movie will be?

There will! AND NO HINTS.

assaultxmaster Asked: Sorry, second question. I notice that people freak out over Toonami Openings/Endings ( ironic of me to say that ). Things like Bleach, Inuyasha, and Cowboy Bebop get 1:30 intros because of their endings. Do you have control over this and are there OP/ED edits that you haven't liked before?

Commercial breaks on US TV are longer than those on Japanese TV. As a result, their opens/closes are longer than those of US shows. To fit these series inside our block, they must be edited for time. We prefer to have the opens/closes shortened, rather than cut content from the episodes. That&#8217;s the only reason for it

god-my-oh Asked: I'd say that diverging from the source material can be a good thing (I wouldn't call the second season of the first FMA series "filler"). However, I do understand people being disappointed with arcs in shows like Bleach or Naruto which by their nature of needing to stay faithful to the manga in the other arcs aren't allowed to develop the characters and story beyond what the manga-based arcs set.

A good point!

Anonymous Asked: Will you guys ever show Evangelon? Or atleast the movie remakes?

You know we already aired Eva 1.11, right?

Anonymous Asked: Toonami has always been in a class on its own from different programming blocks like Vortexxx, the 90s are all that, and Fox Kids. What keeps Toonami motivated when it comes to airing new types of promos and shows?

We just love what we do, and there&#8217;s not an ounce of fakery in us. It&#8217;s all passion. Thankfully, fans like you seem to feel that and respond to it!

Anonymous Asked: What are all yalls favorite anime?

Too many to list! Akira, The work of Miyazaki, the work of Satoshi Kon, Evangelion, the work of Mamoru Hosoda, GITS, Cowboy Bebop (and all Watanabe), Ranma 1/2, FLCL, and on, and on&#8230;.

Anonymous Asked: You do know that filler is not an abstract concept with a basis in belief and rather it is a concrete definition which denotes anime episodes not based on manga and are thus needed to fill in the gap right?

What we know is that tv shows are just that- tv shows- and they are a separate and distinct medium from manga or comics. The idea that any episode of a show which deviates from previously written &#8220;canon" is somehow not legitimate storytelling, is a concept we find ridiculous. It&#8217;s also, by the way, something that ONLY exists in anime. We doubt anyone watching HANNIBAL is calling it &#8220;filler" simply because it&#8217;s &#8220;filling in" what happened with those characters before the events of MANHUNTER. &#8220;Filler" is a construct created by otaku and we don&#8217;t think it merits consideration.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Toonami Q&A Part 16:

Anonymous Asked: I feel like people are really jumping the gun, and asking you guys to shoe-horn every anime possible because it's really the only place to see it on cable.... C'mon now, action is the big ticket!

We don&#8217;t mind the suggestions. Keep Em coming. Just remember we DO have limitations.

Anonymous Asked: Just wanted to say, thanks for having Outlaw Star in my younger years. Gene and the crew were pretty much my babysitters on Saturday nights.

You are welcome younger you. Now where&#8217;s our $36?

Anonymous Asked: Do you all do things together outside of the workplace?

We used to play trivia on an almost weekly basis, but its been a while. Hey who&#8217;s free Tuesday?

Anonymous Asked: Do you all do things together outside of the workplace?

We used to play trivia on an almost weekly basis, but its been a while. Hey who&#8217;s free Tuesday?

Anonymous Asked: Are You Linkin Park fans?

Fans?

Anonymous Asked: You guys should bring back Robot Kikaider or Cyborg 009. Or Trigun and Gundam Wing. Or at least a Gundam series, or just play all of them along with DBZ. haha

Are you available to come in and talk through some of these ideas? How&#8217;s Monday at 10:30a. Bring a big bag of gold and a lawyer.

happygoluckyidiot Asked: Ever since I was a kid Toonami gave me something to look forward to on those dull nights where my parents forced me to go to sleep but I didn't. Then I noticed something "Holy crap the shows on here are teaching me things that even my parents have a hard time explaining" Shows that deal with the loss of life, shaping my morals, knowing right from wrong even in a complex situation, and even my text alert now (Gundam Wing: Warning Beep) Do you guys know the impact you're having on people like us?

Thanks for sharing! We always like hearing stories like this. Really is humbling to hear.

letzzbeimmortal Asked: will you guys ever plan, think or like to do Month of Miyazaki again.

We ARE hoping to air movies. Miyazaki movies might be a little harder to work out.

Anonymous Asked: I'm guessing that the answer is going to be the same as last time, but any chance of Toonami premiering earlier in the night? Hell, I'd be happy if it started at 11.

We like midnight. Sorry, no current plans to start any earlier.

Anonymous Asked: Over a year ago, Toonami came back strong. What do you feel some of the best moments of the revival are?

Honestly that we came back at all. The rest has been all downhill. Or is it uphill? Hmmm let us get back to you.

Anonymous Asked: do you guys plan on airing the other evangelion rebuild movies when they come out?

We&#8217;re hoping for more movies in the future. Stay tuned for more details.

Anonymous Asked: How do you strike a balance between reairing classic toonami programming and airing new stuff?

We pick up what we can get. There are a lot of factors that play into it, but basically we try to get the most bang for our buck.

Anonymous Asked: Just a thought okay so you proably heard that funi and some other companies are interested in Bandai titles. now if one just happen to get say big o then could it be possible for season 1 to be on Toonami?

That&#8217;s a lot of ifs. We&#8217;re focusing on what we can get, for now.

Anonymous Asked: Just a thought okay so you proably heard that funi and some other companies are interested in Bandai titles. now if one just happen to get say big o then could it be possible for season 1 to be on Toonami?

That&#8217;s a lot of ifs. We&#8217;re focusing on what we can get, for now.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Toonami Q&A Part 17:

Anonymous Asked: I asked this last month, but was just given a list of current albums yo guys liked. If there was only one album you could recommend to anyone, which would it be?

From all time? Why only one?

janfeyen Asked: Here's a question, is the situation any different for Naruto Shippuden?

Not sure what you mean? Are you asking has it changed and is available like One piece? If that&#8217;s what you&#8217;re asking,
No.

theknightingale Asked: I found a box set of IGPX DVD's at a used book and DVD store. It was $5. Was I stupid to not buy it?

Stupid is a harsh word, but yes.

eslkr08 Asked: Kind of sad how thunder cat not gonna be in the line up in July but the good thing you guys were able to show all the episode in its first run Can't wait till Sword Art Online premiere hopefully fairy tail will be in the line up someday. Love The Last Of Us review last night Perfect 10 Awesome!

Glad you&#8217;re enjoying all of it! We&#8217;re looking forward to sword art too.

duelistinblack Asked: Any chance of getting a promo for the finale of Eureka 7 like how Samurai 7 got one? It's a good show and I'd really love to see it get the Toonami-style promo treatment before going off the air. Also wouldn't mind a new one for Big O.

We&#8217;ve got a lot of stuff planned for the next several weeks. Might be tough to fit it all in with other new pieces too, but thanks for the suggestion.

nevetoss Asked: So, long time fan. Toonami came out when I was just a wee lad. I was wondering, for nostalgia's sake, if there was anyplace where I could find all those old browser based games that used to be on Toonami's website? I used to play the hell outta those games while waiting for Toonami to start!

Oh man. Probably not. Thanks for watching and thanks for bringing back those memories. Let us know if you find them.

ecw28 Asked: Instead of just doing Q&A once every month, why not do it once every week for an hour?

We had a lot of people say that their feeds were being filled with answers to a lot of the same questions over and over again, so we feel like this is the best soluti

Anonymous Asked: TOM 5 said on the Toonami intro that SARA might not be in her current form soon enough. Will there be a body created for SARA soon?

No immediate plans. The future holds infinite possibilities.

lovelss-and-beloved Asked: Where's your offive? If you can disclose that info i'd love to come meet you all!

Sorry. We can&#8217;t have visitors, but we&#8217;d love you to watch every Saturday at midnight!

Anonymous Asked: Ever since you guys reviewed Slender way back, have there been any sightings on the Absolution of a tall, thin, pale, and faceless man in a snazzy black suit?

AGGGHGGGGGGHHH

heartscapemod Asked: What made you bring back One Piece so late into Toonami's return? I love the show but when Toonami came back everyone told me that One Piece was not coming back.

Certain shows aren&#8217;t available, and then things happen and they become available. One Piece was one of those shows.

pazu-kun Asked: I used to watch toonami growing up as a kid when i got home after school. why dont you guys air during that time period anymore (like 4:00- 6:00 if i remember correctly)? im normally up late at night anyway so i still get to watch toonami anyway but i was just curious

Because we&#8217;d on adult swim now,
Not Cartoon Network. Sorry.

Anonymous Asked: I know you guys don't personally save your old game reviews but have you guys come across a video of your Ico review? I haven't been able to find one.

No. Sadly we don&#8217;t have any of the old stuff. We&#8217;ll post it here if we find it. You do the same.

janfeyen Asked: FLCL is still coming back right?!

Yes. No definitive date. But it is coming. Prepare yourselves.

Moaradin

Anonymous Asked: You do know that filler is not an abstract concept with a basis in belief and rather it is a concrete definition which denotes anime episodes not based on manga and are thus needed to fill in the gap right?

What we know is that tv shows are just that- tv shows- and they are a separate and distinct medium from manga or comics. The idea that any episode of a show which deviates from previously written “canon" is somehow not legitimate storytelling, is a concept we find ridiculous. It’s also, by the way, something that ONLY exists in anime. We doubt anyone watching HANNIBAL is calling it “filler" simply because it’s “filling in" what happened with those characters before the events of MANHUNTER. “Filler" is a construct created by otaku and we don’t think it merits consideration

Interesting. I do hope they at least push back Bleach and/or Naruto during their huge filler gaps.

Seda

I hope they make an exception for Naruto's "filler hell" when the time comes. (I mean it would take more than a year by itself) That's a few years away though.

Also sounded like a definitive NO on Megas.

And 'no definitive date" on FLCL implies it's not replacing Eureka Seven.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I should hope so Seda, clicking your heels and pretending objective reality is something else is not going to save the rating when they tank again.

Also, yea, I recall George telling me that it can never air on Cartoon Network/Adult Swim USA ever again, that does not preclude Megas from returning elsewhere though.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
So from what I understand, once the "filler hell" hits its all filler until the end of the first Naruto show, correct?

Yup and it is all utterly pointless, The Toonami person didn't seem to grasp that anime and manga work differently then American stuff, anime has to conform to the manga anything extra gets tossed out like so much rubbish.

ckohler

I kind of want to punch the people who are suggesting SAO should come on before soul eater. It seems the only place people talk about SE being good is here. Why does SE rock so hard every week, get great ratings, but then nobody outside of GAF ever talks favorably about it?

Also, I wish someone would have asked if Gurren Lagaan was a possibility for a future lineup. I didn't wake up early enough to ask.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I kind of want to punch the people who are suggesting SAO should come on before soul eater. It seems the only place people talk about SE being good is here. Why does SE rock so hard every week, get great ratings, but then nobody outside of GAF ever talks favorably about it?

Don't worry, SAO probably will not be replacing Soul Eater.

Seda

I think putting SAO 5th is a no brainer, for the reason they stated. The top four have been pretty solid since One Piece jumped on. Don't want to mess with that set up.

EDIT: The top 3 were doing pretty well before One Piece, but sliding a long show like One Piece ahead makes more sense to me than SAO.

i think Soul Eater is the choice for getting bumped simply because One Piece "fits" alongside Bleach and Naruto. if it was another show, i'm sure people would be saying we should move both down.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Good morning Toonami-GAF

Wow, that's a lot of questions from the Q&A.
Naruto's filler hell starts in two years. Hopefully by then, Disney will surrender the rights to Shippuden. I hope.

BatDan

Too late, we already got Bleach, Naruto, One Piece, (and Inuyasha) and they aren't going anywhere for a while.

Just need Fairy Tail and we're set.

No. Absolutely not. Keep Fairly Tail away.

To be fair, at least Bleach is ending next year. Though I imagine once the final arc is animated, it will be back.

BatDan

Let's try to get Persona 4 first, or TTGL, or something American.
Are there any possible American action cartoons they could show? Young Justice is off-limits due to DC, and every Marvel show is off limits due to Disney.

So Mike Lazzo and Kim Manning were the ones who made all of this possible. The ones who brought Toonami back from the dead. Praise them for they are our saviors!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Bleach is their headlining show and it is rife with filler.

Also Naruto, One Piece and Bleach belong together and are tied together by bonds of fate and circumstance.

Sure One Piece is way better than the other two but its definitely fitting to have them back to back to back in basically ascending order.

The Naruto filler isn't even all bad but it did lead to the situation where C/N went, naaaah, that's too much to pay for Shippuden back in the day.

Also that QA gives me the opposite impression of how soon FLCL is coming. I think its going to be sooner rather than later.

i think i've managed to condense this into the most relevant stuff. apologies if some of these seem irrelevant or bizarre (the fanservice bit in particular); i originally posted them on the official AS board, and there are some truly stupid people under some truly stupid impressions over there so a few of these were necessary to point out.

they could have started anywhere they wanted; Funimation didn't steer them toward episode 206 of One Piece because of DVD sales.

we will see "less of" shows in genres like mystery; they didn't say we won't ever, which is interesting, but i'm probably reading too much into it. maybe they mean we'll only see shows in those genres if they have action?

"we can't get the rights to Big O season 1." maybe they got tired of waiting, or nobody actually picked it up from Sunrise when given the opportunity?

this is when the staff has free time, so this is when they do the Q&A

response to a question about Clydes coming back was: "It&#8217;s possible&#8230;maybe&#8230;"

Eureka Seven will not repeat and leave Toonami for good once it ends; they lose the rights after this run

the comic won't be ready anytime soon

Sword Art Online was announced so far in advance because Aniplex wanted to do so

said "we won't be skipping anything" when asked about Bleach and Naruto filler, though this does contradict what they've previously said on the Tumblr regarding Naruto.

regarding SAO airing after Soul Eater:
"It&#8217;s based on the fact that historically, the more stable our lineup has been, the better the ratings have been. We think this is because a stable lineup makes it easier to form habit tv watching. For this reason, we didn&#8217;t want to move any of our first four shows that are working so well, even for a premiere like SAO. That said, if it does really well, it might move up earlier!"

regarding the pickup of SAO:
"No, we picked it because a) many, many toonami fans asked us to pick it up, b) we watched as many eps as we could and liked it and felt it was a good fit, and c) our friends at Aniplex made us an offer we couldn&#8217;t refuse!" sounds like Aniplex REALLY wanted this on TV

whatever show opens the block gets a full opening

Sym-Bionic Titan isn't being taken off because of ratings, it's simply "ready for a break"

regarding more paid events like Oblivion, specifically Pacific Rim:
"mmmmmaaaaybe!"

the design for TOM 5, SARA, and the Absolution took 6 months

"We base all of our decisions on a few factors: do we LIKE the show and think it&#8217;s a good fit for Toonami, is it available, is it expensive? Are Toonami fans asking for it? Is it new-ish?"

regarding SAO's shift from August to July:
"We did say we&#8217;d air it in August, but we decided we had a slot earlier."

in addition to ratings, "flow" is taken into consideration when making the schedule

sounds like an IGPX mixtape is in the works

"We started [One Piece at the Davy Back Fight] because the show was in HD and we (and Funimation) felt it was an easy arc for new fans to get into the show without being lost. &#8230;.seems to have worked."

"Usually Gill and Jason decide what games to review. Sometimes Dennis will come up with a suggestion!"

the best show to grace Toonami is Cowboy Bebop. surprise surprise.

regarding a restart of Bleach:
"We&#8217;re not sure what will happen with Bleach, yet!"

regarding losing the rights to Thundercats but not Titan:
"Yes, but one was wholly owned by CN and one was created with partners at WB. CN did not own the rights to the Thundercats characters. TV is complicated! If you want more info, we suggest you dig around for particulars online."

"We don&#8217;t care about classifications like &#8220;shonen." Toonami has always been about great action shows, and always will. Anyone expecting anything less than that from us is looking in the wrong place!"

someone asked about fanservice, staff seems to have no qualms about it "Soul Eater and Tenchi weren't enough for you?"

"Adult Swim helped fund both Seasons of GITS but did not &#8220;produce" the show. They just helped paid for it as a production partner."

"What we know is that tv shows are just that- tv shows- and they are a separate and distinct medium from manga or comics. The idea that any episode of a show which deviates from previously written &#8220;canon" is somehow not legitimate storytelling, is a concept we find ridiculous. It&#8217;s also, by the way, something that ONLY exists in anime. We doubt anyone watching HANNIBAL is calling it &#8220;filler" simply because it&#8217;s &#8220;filling in" what happened with those characters before the events of MANHUNTER. &#8220;Filler" is a construct created by otaku and we don&#8217;t think it merits consideration."

Naruto Shippuden is still unavailable

Man God

Non-Canon Member
To be fair to people complaining about SAO running in August it is premiering in the week that includes the first day's of August.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom