• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT8| Our Summer War Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
One Piece
FMAB
Soul Eater
GitS
Bleach
FLCL
Clone Wars
Naruto
SAO

Overall it was a meh night. This is my second time through One Piece so I can look beyond the "hype" posts and view the show with a more critical eye, this episode was the best of the night but not as awesome as people made it out to be in my opinion. GitS continues to be my favorite show on the block and Bleach is rounding into form; the Kon nonsense needs to stop though.

The bottom third of my list was terrible. I don't know how I made it through them all without cutting my wrists.

Great sketches SAB.

jbug617

Banned
I don't know if you guys buy anime dvds and blurays but Amazon has some of the Toonami shows on sale.

One Piece Collections (1-8 and covers ep 1-205) are $15.49 each. They also have some of the Season 5 sets on sale.

Soul Eater Complete Series on Bluray is $23.99

FLCL Complete Series on Bluray is $17.49

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I don't know if you guys buy anime dvds and blurays but Amazon has some of the Toonami shows on sale.

One Piece Collections (1-8 and covers ep 1-205) are $15.49 each. They also have some of the Season 5 sets on sale.

That's 20 dollars too expensive for FLCL.

Thanks for the heads up, Soul Eater is a steal at that price.

I should bite on FLCL on blu-ray. I really should.

Why would we need a December thread that I'm assuming would be dedicated to movies? Seda can change this thread title to something Akira related before moving on to |OT9| which should last the rest of the year.

789shadow

Banned
Why would we need a December thread that I'm assuming would be dedicated to movies? Seda can change this thread title to something Akira related before moving on to |OT9| which should last the rest of the year.
Because we're going through threads so fast Seda said we're moving to monthly threads.

Raxus

FLCLimax (last time on the list since it will be unfair to rank with upcoming shows)
One Piece
FMAB
Clone Wars
Inuyasha 1
Inuyasha 2
Ghost in the Shell
Soul Eater
Bleach
Naruto
IGPX
An inguinal hernia

Incest Art Online

*insert bad touch pic here*

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Seriously, what's with the in-game racism in SAO? Did the writer hear about the Alliance and Horde in WoW and thought it was similar to that? Cause as far as I know, it's nothing like that.

Amikami

Banned
SAB. Great art as always. Love the Bleach one. Only thing harder than remembering the characters names is remembering the names of their attacks.

Seriously, what's with the in-game racism in SAO? Did the writer hear about the Alliance and Horde in WoW and thought it was similar to that? Cause as far as I know, it's nothing like that.

Yeah. Weird. But honestly, with that Rapey guy touching Asuna and the incest side-plot, and the strange Yui/Kirito relationship, the pathetic pretend racism is the least of my concerns with where this anime is going.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
People new to naruto, keep the last 2 mins of naruto in your mind, because it is the best character, he is also another "old man in shonen so he is really strong" archetype which honestly is probably my favorite archetype.
To give more credit to how awesome he is, later, stronger enemies in the narutoverse are scared of him and chose to run away when he shows up.
aka
when itachi and kisame fight naruto and sasuke in a hotel hallway until jiraiya suddenly shows up and they decide to GTFO

Rankings for the week

One Piece
FMA Brotherhood
FLCL
InuYasha 1
GitS
Soul Eater
Bleach
Naruto
Igpx
Sao

Will add in inuyasha 2 and clone wars when I watch them later

People new to naruto, keep the last 2 mins of naruto in your mind, because it is the best character, he is also another "old man in shonen so he is really strong" archetype which honestly is probably my favorite archetype.
To give more credit to how awesome he is, later, stronger enemies in the narutoverse are scared of him and chose to run away when he shows up.
aka
when itachi and kisame fight naruto and sasuke in a hotel hallway until jiraiya suddenly shows up and they decide to GTFO
So, you gonna help me with the catch-up guide or not?

LOLDSFAN

zlCfzRNdpho1_TdiLE
It's funny because Tsunade isn't even in the picture yet. :p

The last picture. (・o・✿)

All that PPSA.

kayos90

People just doing hardcore RP. I guess...

There's no incest in SAO so I don't get why people keep playing that up. Sugu has a crush on her cousin but Kirito hasn't reciprocated the feelings, Asuna is clearly his love interest.

Just pointing out a minor annoyance.

kayos90

There's no incest in SAO so I don't get why people keep playing that up. Sugu has a crush on her cousin but Kirito hasn't reciprocated the feelings, Asuna is clearly his love interest.

Just wondering, would you call SAO a harem?

I personally would not classify it as such because it lacks that element of competition between the numerous girls that like Kirito. Asuna is clearly understood to be the main love interest and all the other potential waifus just have pouty internal monologues about how they have feelings for Kirito but understand their place.

Jintor

Oh, i'm sorry, i got so distracted by the PLOT

Given that Kirito is treating Sugu exactly the same way as he treated Asuna prior to the point where she inexplicably decided she was going to marry him, I don't think it's inconsistent for the audience to interpret their relationship in a similar manner. (Their game relationship, anyway, since they still don't know one another's identities)

kayos90

Given that Kirito is treating Sugu exactly the same way as he treated Asuna prior to the point where she inexplicably decided she was going to marry him, I don't think it's inconsistent for the audience to interpret their relationship in a similar manner.

Isn't that how he treats every girl in the show?

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

altho it kinda feels that way, kirito is very clearly only after one girl, even with girls around him falling in love with him they're basically fully cannon OTP and something would need to happen to Asuna for that to change.

Given that Kirito is treating Sugu exactly the same way as he treated Asuna prior to the point where she inexplicably decided she was going to marry him, I don't think it's inconsistent for the audience to interpret their relationship in a similar manner. (Their game relationship, anyway, since they still don't know one another's identities)

the show is also pretty clearly putting up a big "FAP TO THIS" sign over the brother/sister thing, too.

kayos90 said:

i don't really understand calling SAO a harem because there's....really no harem. all these girls who make up the supposed harem have never really shared screentime with one another beyond Lisbeth and Asuna, very briefly. Steins;Gate is more of a harem than SAO at this point (which annoys me a little bit). i wouldn't really count Yui, though i'm probably being a little naive there.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
i've been told that in the FLCL manga, Naota straight-up murders his father.
I need to re-read those. I was so disappointed when I got both volumes to find out they were nothing like the manga scenes in the anime. Maybe once I finish finals next week, I'll check them out in my free time. I do remember the manga, especially the second volume, being different from the anime.

How is SAO anything but a harem? Just because Kirito and Asuna are OTP canon doesn't mean it's not a story of several chicks who want his d. Its a very poorly written harem that constantly drops and brings back characters at complete random but its still a harem. The only thing the series is missing is a yandere character who wants to kill Kirito's other lovers, a huge missed opportunity in part 1

kayos90

How is SAO anything but a harem? Just because Kirito and Asuna are OTP canon doesn't mean it's not a story of several chicks who want his d. Its a very poorly written harem that constantly drops and brings back characters at complete random but its still a harem. The only thing the series is missing is a yandere character who wants to kill Kirito's other lovers, a huge missed opportunity in part 1

This is a serious comment. I'm really interested in seeing how this conversation developers because personally I don't think it's a harem.

This is a serious comment. I'm really interested in seeing how this conversation developers because personally I don't think it's a harem.

It's not strictly harem, its a male power fantasy harem. Every episode is either about some chick who wants Kirito's d, or about Kirito being the most awesome hero of the mmorpg.

He treats every girl the same way initially but decided to show affection towards Asuna instead of every other girl in the show. He's on friendly terms with every other waifu, it's possible to have friends of the opposite sex that you have no romantic interest in bro.

I've seen the series, the incest claims are exaggerated.

because a harem is an actual group of girls, not a couple of chicks he runs into from time to time. i agree that the presence of one chick who is clearly the winner is meaningless, though.

because a harem is an actual group of girls, not a couple of chicks he runs into from time to time. i agree that the presence of one chick who is clearly the winner is meaningless, though.

Asuna
Loli
Dead girl
Black smith
Sister/cousin
cat girl fairy iirc that shows up soon
another female fairy character who shows up with cat girl

Asuna
Loli
Dead girl
Black smith
Sister/cousin
cat girl fairy iirc that shows up soon
another female fairy character who shows up with cat girl

and at no point have any of those girls formed a group together, which is basically what a harem is. if they do later and i'm unaware of this, fine. but right now? no. Tenchi Muyo GXP was a harem because all those girls gathered together.

Jintor

He treats every girl the same way initially but decided to show affection towards Asuna instead of every other girl in the show. He's on friendly terms with every other waifu, it's possible to have friends of the opposite sex that you have no romantic interest in bro.

I've seen the series, the incest claims are exaggerated.

Nobody's disputing that it's possible to have friends of the opposite sex, but you've missed my point. Sugu's current relationship with Kirito is thematically an exact copy of the Asuna tsundere storyline from earlier in the show but with the added caveat that she's his cousin-sister, therefore it's not inconceivable that the audience would interpret it with similar vibes.

Now whether or not they actually consumate this bullshit is besides the point. All creepy raper guy is doing is talking about creepy coma rape but I wouldn't say that people freaking out about the creepy coma shit is 'overblown'. In a similar manner, incest in a physical sense is almost certainly not actually going to actually happen in the show, but I think that between the show encouraging the audience to think of Sugu in sexual terms, as well as the way she is constantly talking/thinking/monologuing about Kirito, it's pretty apparent that the idea of incest as such is - if not promoted - is at least being normalised by the show.

I don't think it's a harem. Admittedly an OTP is no real impediment to a harem (whatever anyone says, Love Hina only ever had one real candidate for Keitaro, and that was Naru) but SAO's focus isn't really on that. It's more of a pure power fantasy.

Have you actually sat down and watched a harem series because SAO isn't in the same category. The plot doesn't revolve around a bunch of girls competing for the main characters affection, it's a romance story between two characters using an MMORPG as a backdrop. Yes there are a number of females who become infatuated with Kirito but the vast majority of these are shown in one off episodes and never heard from again. All these girls realize Kirito has a thing for Asuna and views them as friends which kills the harem comparison. He's not perusing a relationship with multiple characters simultaneously, there is only one love interest.

It believe there were more chapters in the novels where they grouped up, also the upcoming special has all the girls in it

and if they do that, it's a harem. but they haven't done that in the show yet. dead girl is dead and never even spoke to Asuna, blacksmith shared the screen with Asuna like twice, cousin hasn't met any of these characters and neither has loli. right now the harem doesn't even physically exist.

He may not be surrounded by women which is the definition of harem I'll admit, the story does introduce girls solely for the to be waifu thirsty material. If there is a better term for that kind of series then harem please let me know. Over the years the idea of a harem being a bunch of chicks who live with the character of affection has seemingly diluted to bunch of girls who want the d. That anime last winter amnesia was classified as reverse harem and yet I don't think you ever saw more then one boy on screen at a time

Nobody's disputing that it's possible to have friends of the opposite sex, but you've missed my point. Sugu's current relationship with Kirito is thematically an exact copy of the Asuna tsundere storyline from earlier in the show but with the added caveat that she's his cousin-sister, therefore it's not inconceivable that the audience would interpret it with similar vibes.

Now whether or not they actually consumate this bullshit is besides the point. All creepy raper guy is doing is talking about creepy coma rape but I wouldn't say that people freaking out about the creepy coma shit is 'overblown'. In a similar manner, incest in a physical sense is almost certainly not actually going to actually happen in the show, but I think that between the show encouraging the audience to think of Sugu in sexual terms, as well as the way she is constantly talking/thinking/monologuing about Kirito, it's pretty apparent that the idea of incest as such is - if not promoted - is at least being normalised by the show.

No, I got your point; I just don't buy it. You can't cry incest until he reciprocates in my opinion, that's just jumping to conclusions. I felt this way my first time watching as well, at no point was I sitting there thinking "OH MAN THAT'S INCEST" when Sugu was infatuated with her cousin. I don't think some people here understand the definition of the word.

You could make a case for an implied incestous relationship but even that's a reach.

He may not be surrounded by women which is the definition of harem I'll admit, the story does introduce girls solely for the to be waifu thirsty material. If there is a better term for that kind of series then harem please let me know. Over the years the idea of a harem being a bunch of chicks who live with the character of affection has seemingly diluted to bunch of girls who want the d. That anime last winter amnesia was classified as reverse harem and yet I don't think you ever saw more then one boy on screen at a time

but even then, those guys in Amnesia are (i assume) all at least working concurrently. every character besides Asuna and his cousin have basically been dropped from the show soon after they arrived. honestly i think just calling it a "power fantasy" works just fine because "ALL THESE GIRLS WANT ME" definitely falls under that umbrella. harem is a lot more specific, and this show really doesn't meet any of its requirements beyond "several girls love him".

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Gucci makes a good point. I watched/read a decent amount of harem stuff growing up & I really don't think this falls under it for the most part. Yes, there are multiple females that appear & show some interest in the main character, but a harem tends to have the guy acknowledge the fact that he's surrounded by woman & they're competing while he was to figure out which girl is the one (or be all "I want them all!"). Kirito is mainly just "cool, I'm gonna play & talk about video games" to everyone aside from Asuna. & like GMN said, for the most part, a harem has the main females together as friends, enemies, frienemies, etc. In SAO, that barely happens. Not to mention some of them are rather minor where as in a harem, they're the main group of females that appear in a majority of episodes/chapters.

Granted, I won't argue that it's portraying that there's at least ONE girl who wants Kirito at a time, but that number never seems to go up to 2 or more at once, where as most harems tend to have about 3 or more females that want the main character at all times.

Though to be fair, that anime was based on a VN, and the way it was adapted was rather bad (from what I've heard), as instead of just combining all the possible paths and having the characters actually interact with each other, it literally just does so many episodes for one path/guy, then is like "Okay, time to focus on the next possible choice that was in the game!". But I understand your point. If the group of love interests don't actually interact with each other, then it doesn't feel like a harem because there's no "competition" to be had.

Jintor

No, I got your point; I just don't buy it. You can't cry incest until he reciprocates in my opinion, that's just jumping to conclusions. I felt this way my first time watching as well, at no point was I sitting there thinking "OH MAN THAT'S INCEST" when Sugu was infatuated with her cousin. I don't think some people here understand the definition of the word.

You could make a case for an implied incestous relationship but even that's a reach.

I don't think there's any requirement of reciprocation to be able to say the show has incest-y themes. Relationships can be one-sided, as you yourself have pointed out.

Let's imagine a hypothetical show centering around a girl who is in love with her brother, a Watamote-style humiliation comedy where her love is painfully, clearly shown to be one-sided in nature where her brother is blissfully, obliviously unaware of his sister's feelings. Simply because he has no idea about how she feels, you wouldn't be able to say that it wasn't a show about, in some way, incest.

/edit I can't believe I'm having this conversation

Man God

Non-Canon Member
There is actually a legit (bad) harem show where one girl is the clear frontrunner the entire time.

Tenchi in Tokyo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom