• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT8| Our Summer War Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think there's any requirement of reciprocation to be able to say the show has incest-y themes. Relationships can be one-sided, as you have pointed out.

i've had this discussion on another forum as well. people crying "incest!" is simply for want of a better term; the meaning remains the same. people are saying "this shit is creepy, we're not ok with it." whether what people are complaining about is or isn't the textbook definition of incest is missing the point and splitting hairs.

Man God said:
There is actually a legit (bad) harem show where one girl is the clear frontrunner the entire time.

Tenchi in Tokyo.

eh. i don't actually hate Tenchi in Tokyo, i think a lot of people just don't like how far it deviated and brought in a new character to be the frontrunner while kind of sabotaging the portrayals of all the established characters. on its own terms, it is still a decent comedy that does manage a few decent moments.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I cannot stand the animation for Tenchi in Tokyo. The plot deviations over the OVA and previous TV show don't really bug me at all though it is a bit dumb in places.

That animation though is nigh unwatchable.

I cannot stand the animation for Tenchi in Tokyo. The plot deviations over the OVA and previous TV show don't really bug me at all though it is a bit dumb in places.

That animation though is nigh unwatchable.

it is kind of bizarre. especially the way the mouths move. if i didn't think the show was funny it'd probably be generally terrible.

I don't think there's any requirement of reciprocation to be able to say the show has incest-y themes. Relationships can be one-sided, as you yourself have pointed out.
There's a difference between a friendly relationship and a romantic relationship, that's what I pointed out. Just because his cousin may have a crush on him doesn't imply incest, do you even know what the definition of that word is? And I'm not trying to be a dick, I just don't see how someone can cry incest based off of what has been shown.

I mean really, there needs to be reciprocation for an incestous relationship to manifest, saying otherwise is absolutely rediculous in my opinion. Look at it this way, if you have a crush on a girl and she doesn't feel the same does that imply you two are in a monogamous relationship? No, there is no relationship to begin with. Just a creepy crush.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Funny thing is I'll put up with bad animation for an interesting show in almost every case.

Tenchi in Tokyo is the one exception I can think of off the top of my head.

Jintor

There's a difference between a friendly relationship and a romantic relationship, that's what I pointed out. Just because his cousin may have a crush on him doesn't imply incest, do you even know what the definition of that word is? And I'm not trying to be a dick, I just don't see how someone can cry incest based off of what has been shown.

I mean really, there needs to be reciprocation for an incestous relationship to manifest, saying otherwise is absolutely rediculous in my opinion. Look at it this way, if you have a crush on a girl and she doesn't feel the same does that imply you two are in a monogamous relationship? No, there is no relationship to begin with. Just a creepy crush.

Exactly! A creepy, incestuous crush.

Look, i think GMN already summed it up perfectly:

i've had this discussion on another forum as well. people crying "incest!" is simply for want of a better term; the meaning remains the same. people are saying "this shit is creepy, we're not ok with it." whether what people are complaining about is or isn't the textbook definition of incest is missing the point and splitting hairs.

You're getting caught up the technical definition of the term, but in regards to the actual usage by the rest of ToonamiGAF it's kind of irrelevant.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
My biggest problem with Sugu's creepy semi incestuous crush isn't the crush itself, it's that she's so bad at crushing on him that she doesn't notice right away that the guy who looks and sounds exactly like her cousinbrother isn't her cousinbrother.

Funny thing is I'll put up with bad animation for an interesting show in almost every case.

Tenchi in Tokyo is the one exception I can think of off the top of my head.

i honestly can't think of a show where the animation more or less absolutely ruined it for me. i'm sure Adult Swim will think of something in the next couple of years, though.

My biggest problem with Sugu's creepy semi incestuous crush isn't the crush itself, it's that she's so bad at crushing on him that she doesn't notice right away that the guy who looks and sounds exactly like her cousinbrother isn't her cousinbrother.

that, and also him being COUSINbrother is implemented to make it ok on paper.

Exactly! A creepy, incestuous crush.

You're getting caught up the technical definition of the term, but in regards to the actual usage by the rest of ToonamiGAF it's kind of irrelevant.
I wasn't aware that evaluating a concept based on its actual concrete definition is "splitting hairs" or "missing the point" these days. It's a creepy crush but people have jumped to using the term "incest" because they don't know how to define what's going on.

Jintor

She's in love with her fucking brother. What's the closest word to describe that? Oh yeah, it's incest.

Just because she's not getting the DLC doesn't mean it ain't a thing. Overblown, my ass.

No point in getting incenst over one little word.

i4OCcDEABBdGZ.gif

How about I just call it crap. Not incestuous. Just plain ol' crap.

Watching last night's episode was the first time I felt SAO has gone from being entertainingly bad to just bad. Perhaps it was because I didn't watch it live with the thread with the added commentary.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I on the other hand thought it was one of the best episodes of SAO.

Hell the entire back half of the lineup was good, and I know from past experience that Naruto and One Piece were quite good this night so the only question marks for me are Bleach and Soul Eater.

SAO would have been far better
as epic rage material
if (kind of upcoming spoilers)
Kazuno in his desperation and belief he'd never be able to finish the impossible final mission did end up doing something with Suguha out of anger/frustration at his own failure

Or maybe not
I just want to watch the world burn :)

as epic rage material
Kazuno in his desperation and belief he'd never be able to finish the impossible final mission did end up doing something with Suguha out of anger/frustration at his own failure

Or maybe not

you monster

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
as epic rage material

Or maybe not

RcGceQU.gif

as epic rage material

Or maybe not
Why????????

Man God

Non-Canon Member
There are a ton of harem series where one girl is the frontrunner the entire time.

That includes the father of modern harem, Love Hina.

I was thinking about that but what Love Hina really is is a love triangle show disguised with what looks like a harem even though only one of them remotely seems to like him and the other love interest is outside the harem proper.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I was thinking about that but what Love Hina really is is a love triangle show disguised with what looks like a harem even though only one of them remotely seems to like him and the other love interest is outside the harem proper.

You're kinda right, which is why it's better than other "real" harems, but it's still the birth of the modern harem manga/anime.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
You guys really should check out the monogatari series, well its the medaka box of harem anime, almost literally, but it is actually pretty good.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Caught up with the two hours I missed:

FLCL
One Piece
GitS:SAC
Naruto
FMA:B
Star Wars Clone Wars
SAO
Inuyasha 1
Inuyasha 2
Soul Eater
Bleach
IGPX

I liked everything in this week's Toonami a lot. Clone Wars was downright good, SAO had me laughing up a storm, Bleach had a nice pace for once and even IGPX was much much better than the last few weeks.

If one guy lives with multiple females, it's a harem.

Happy Lesson is one, yet there''s not really any romantic interests.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Just Sayin thanks guys, before the DUMP is too many pages back. Interestin' discussions here, but I'll ignore those till later!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
If one guy lives with multiple females, it's a harem.

Happy Lesson is one, yet there''s not really any romantic interests.

That's a crap definition if you ask me. It's only a harem show in my book if most if not all of the harem characters are infatuated with the main character. You can have one or two who are just along for the ride but more than that and its just a show.

Crocodile

Missed out on Toonami because I was at a friend's birthday party. Things seemed a bit off at first but then got REAL when he proposed to his GF of 3 years and she said yes :)

Caught up on Toonami today. I skipped Bleach, One Piece was great, Medusa continues to be one of the best villains (female or otherwise) I've seen in anime/manga and SAO was stupid with all its faux racism and SERIOUS BUSINESS. Honestly, all the Suguha plot and backstory were by far the least dumb/offensive parts of the episode that could be considered objectionable. All the other episodes of the other shows were stuff I've already seen and I assume they are as great/awful as they have always been :p

Space Dandy is going to be hype! :)

This is hilarious. But only because its not real. It would be depressing as fuck if it was real :(

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's also a pretty damn big spoiler, well, sort of.

It is hilarious though and I watch it every few weeks to remind me of what could have been.

Seda

I was thinking of making the thread monthly, but we don't have to. Yes I can change the title whenever, so that's not a reason. It's not like there's a big advantage or disadvantage to this community either way. Simply put, the community has only grown since last spring and the activity is regular enough to support it (unlike a video game series community where activity will increase around game releases, or a sports community that have seasons/off-seasons).

How I see it (it would be minor in the end, really):

+more regular, organized
+easier to go back through if you cared to
-would have to subscribe more often, we don't hit 20k posts on a regular basis in a month (yet)

I don't want to make an 'executive decision' for the group though. Just genuinely posing the idea. In the end, I don't think much would change.

---

Anything I miss in terms of news? I'll catch up with the shows during the week.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I tried so hard to like Monogatari & Bakemonogatari, but after about 9 episodes into the 2nd season of Monogatari, I just gave up. I felt like I was forcing myself to watch the next episode, which isn't a good thing. It's artistically interesting, I'll give it that, & it did have some moments, but it feels like there's so much talking, yet little happening at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom