• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top 3 best and worst Final Fantasy protagonist designs

silva1991

All I know is that Tidus design is objectively bad.

I used to think his outfit was cool when I was younger though...

tiduswall.jpg

What the crap is he wearing?

New+Picture+(2).jpg

It's not Sasuke.

I forgot that anime even existed.

Akainu

Man people sure are intimidated by Vaan's rock hard abs. His gunmetal alt is pretty great for such a slight change.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The SNES version was green, but apparently was always supposed to be blond but they for some reason could not color it in 16bit for some reason.

Later art materials and such had her with blond hair including the PS1 port, and so now its all mixed and matched.

Dissidia PS4 has her normal being blond and her alt having green
I always assumed they were concerned she'd look too much like Celes.

Best:
Fang
Cloud
[trying to think of a 3rd]

Worst:
I like Final Fantasy IX but I don't like most of the character designs, especially Quina.

Also, Tidus & Vaan (maybe it's the weird chest baring clothes these two wear?)

Mephala

The best chic.

I actually like some of the designs of Lightning but also dislike others. I'm not fond of her character too much but there aren't a whole lot of FF mains that I like. In fact I can't really think of many.

CkmkFyJ.jpg

Looks pretty cool in Aeris' dress too!
IgrCrXB.png

Tmb7AaM.png
Dislike
bsesiva.jpg

R7f05PN.jpg

At least you can make them chibi and look a bit better imo.
1qaWUla.jpg

3) Squall Leonhart - I really dislike Squall as a character, but design-wise, he nails the edgy, brooding protagonist without being boring, awkward or overdone. Points for having a scar across his face, which I doubt Square would ever do again with a "pretty boy" protagonist.

Crisis Core came after and Zack has a scar on his face. I would also say that Squall still fits the pretty boy descriptor (someone post that "best looking guy" pic for me) despite the scar.

Xadjim

Banned
Top:
  1. Vivi, fits perfectly to his character and the face of all blackmages
  2. Noctis, cool looking but unexperienced dude. Fits perfectly to his role.
  3. Kimari, Awesome race. I remember seeing him the first time.... I was frightened

Flop:
  1. The sister of Lightning. Looks dumb, acts dumb and has an annoying voice
  2. Cait Sith, WTF is this supposed to be
  3. Vaan, boring, boring and boring

If we're only looking at the main characters (Cloud, Squall, Lightning etc.) I gotta give first place to Nomura's design of Firion, personally.

Love the headdress and that he's carrying a bunch of weapons including a bow.

In terms of pure design, as protagonists:

Best

1. Squall

2. Lightning

3. Terra as reinterpreted by Nomura

Worst

1. Vaan (because of his weird abs)

2. Tidus (a mess)

3. Zidane

Edit: Ashe's design was so close to being great, but the weird flesh windows around her crotch area and non-skirt are bad, even if I really like the pink. Playing the game, I never realized it wasn't a full skirt.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Old Noctis is the most refreshing design of a FF protagonist in decades. Way less of a Nomura face, facial hair, a plausible hair style, a simple suit because they remembered, "oh right, fantasy based on reality, we need to actually design clothing that somebody would actually wear." Young Regis too:
wC9jWKy.png

Freeman76

I loved Cloud, Barret and Red, as much as there have been better designed characters they just have to win because no FF has infected my very soul like FF7 did.

My least favourite design wise is tough, but least favourite overall is Ignis, self righteous wanker if I knew someone like him in real life I would avoid them like the plague.

Dragner

Only main characters here

Omega Tier

Firion
Onion Knight(Dissidia)
Terra

Very good

Warrior of light
Cecil

Good

Lightning
Cloud
Bartz

Bad

Zidane
Noctis
Squall

Atrocious

Vaan
Tidus

Old Noctis is the most refreshing design of a FF protagonist in decades. Way less of a Nomura face, facial hair, a plausible hair style, a simple suit because they remembered, "oh right, fantasy based on reality, we need to actually design clothing that somebody would actually wear." Young Regis too:
wC9jWKy.png

I'd love a FF title to have an older protagonist. King Regis and old Noctis designs were really well done.

Pretty much same as op when I think about it. The party designs in XV are probably the least memorable/worst in the series. Boring. Old Noctis is cool tho.

Playing FF14 and 15 I really wonder why the designers at SE hate asses so much.

Pancakes... Pancakes for everyone!!
I guess you missed the ass "controversy" in the changeover to ARR

Best:
Lightning
Ashe
Lulu (I dont mind the belts...shutup)

Worst:
Vaan
Noctis (Seriously dude, whats with the floods)
Zell

I really don't like Auron's design. His hairstyle and stubble is almost movie-star esque and definitely not appropriate for someone in his "condition" or after what he's been through. Clothing is buckles and belts all over the place and he's systematic of Square's issues designing older characters when he's cast as a sort of father figure for the group when he's only 35.

rataven

I guess I tend to judge the protag in how well they fit within their cast too.

Best:
Cloud is completely iconic. His design actually means something and is consistent within the lore and world of VII. The whole cast is more or less 'working class' design, and I appreciate how that fits within their world.

I love the look of XIII's cast. Lightning, Fang, and Vanille have top-tier female design for me (coming from a woman), and Sazh and Snow aren't bad either. Hope falls a little flat but his aged version in XIII-2 makes up for it.

Nomura's version of Firion. Spot on homage to Amano's design that translates beautifully to the world of Dissidia.

Bad:
Much like anything related to Squall, I just don't see how his design is 'good'. It looks like bad 80s to me (the whole cast is drab and uninteresting, barring Edea).

As much as I love X, Tidus looks like an idiot. And Lulu is SO close to fitting a black mage character, but misses it due to the belts and impractical neckline. And don't get me started on the designs of X-2.

Much of the cast of XII looks great at first blush, but then you start to notice the nonsense. Yes, Baltheir and Fran are great, but Vaan, Ashe, and even Basch look super silly in the details.

maxresdefault.jpg

REALLY FUCKING HATED THIS DESIGN. HATE HATE HATE.

Best.
Squall
Cloud
Sephiroth
Kefka

Worst
SEYMOUR GUADO
FFIX CAST (hideous)
Almost everyone in FFXIII (their characterization goes a lot to making them fucking unappealing)

MilkBeard

I haven't even played the game and
Punished Noctis
is up there with the best.

A for the OP, I think he/she just hates the standard Nomura design. I'm not a huge fan of Nomura's designs. However, I think the comments about Noctis are off. He was designed by Nomura long ago, and the clothing by a clothing company.

One thing, though, is that Noctis's standard look has been made awkward simply by the redesign of Regis. If they redesigned Regis, they should have just made Noctis
Punished Noct
all the way through, except just made minor visual changes later.

I love Zidane as a character, I've never really liked his design.

While I get that he is an actor/thief, the actor side is more evident in his outfit in my opinion. Really wish he had a cool bandanna or something like the series best thief: Locke.

Best thief deign in the whole series. It's suave, yet subtle. Flamboyantly detailed, yet streamlined silhouette. The bandanna completes it.

Ketkat

I really don't get the hate for this cast in this thread.

latest

I love how visually diverse they are compared to 8 and 15. I get 15 wants to be fantasy based in reality, but I feel that 7 did that better while still maintaining a goofy cast as well. Not to mention they were all pretty well developed outside of Quina/Amarant.

Piers

Not sure if this counts but:
Best:
Onion Knight
Very cool colour scheme, fantastical and looks suitably warrior like.
The fact he's also a boy gives it a cool twist.

Warrior of Light
For similar reasons; it's fantastical but also gives a strangely ironic twist; his armour is dark in colour and he has huge protruding horns. That's more fitting for a villain, if anything, yet he stands adamantly by Cosmos' side.

jett

D-Member
It wasn't until this thread that I realized how similar Noctis and Cloud are design-wise. Dark color scheme, big-ass boots, stupid-looking spiky hair, baggy pants. And more miraculously, neither of them have a single zipper or belt buckle.

edit: Cloud has zippers in his boots, oh well.

Anyway,

Top 3:
Pick anyone from FF6 or FF4

Worst 3:
Pick anyone from FFX. What a shitshow.

Top Bottom